Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 22:15 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 22:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 96
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Send PM
Re: Booth vs Yale SOM vs McCombs for Oil & Gas [#permalink]
I'm actually in a similar situation as yourself (interested in Oil & Gas and I'm 100% sure I want to live in Texas post graduation). I struggled with the idea of even applying to UT or not (I didn't). I went to UT for undergrad and ended up going into O&G IB for a couple years. UT will definitely place you in a O&G job post grad if that is where you want to be, but at the end of the day I believe that if you had a MBA from Booth you could probably acheive the exact same results and have a degree that is more prestigous. UT is a great school and I have no doubt that you'll have more fun living in Austin vs. Chicago, but I'd choose Booth if I was you. I decided to decline Yale for the same reasons you listed under the "cons" section.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [2]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Yale is a great school, but for your post-MBA aspiration, Yale should be out of consideration given your other choices.

Here’s a great guide to energy, written by a GC Legend: riverripper-s-guide-to-energy-76849.html?hilit=energy

One question to consider, do you currently work with energy in your IB job? If you do, you can make a convincing argument for O&G come recruiting time, wherever you go, as long as the company recruits at the school. If you don’t, going to school in Texas would make a difference.

I’m not familiar with O&G, so I’ll offer some general advice.

1) I think it would be hard to get a corporate development role being an international. The visa sponsorship issue is just too difficult for most companies. However, some company may hire you as a global candidate and rotate you through the US. I would recommend contacting the student clubs to understand better.

2) UT is probably the best school for O&G, due to the strong alumni base and its great location. I do not see Rice surpassing UT in the near future. I heard they are building a new building for MBAs only. You may be able to enjoy it in your SY.

3) Chicago would be a great school for post-MBA opportunities in general, not specific for O&G. The top consulting firms hire for the Dallas/Houston offices (strong energy practice) out of Chicago, which is not the case for UT (but I bet UT places very well for the non-MBB firms).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [1]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
Kudos
RR666 wrote:
Booth
- Would have to commute
- Competitive reputation of the school
- MBA factory. Really large class while I tend to thrive in smaller environments

1) I don't understand what you mean by commute. People love living in Chicago and the school is right there!
2) I haven't heard this about Booth in recent years. They may be nerdy quant types there, but the culture has really opened up in the past 5 years.
3) Business schools make a huge effort to make the school feel small and intimate regardless of the size. This was a big factor for me, which is why Kellogg was the biggest school I applied to . You may want to find out how the school offsets this.

RR666 wrote:
Yale SOM
Cons
- New Haven seems like an awful place. Location is great for people interested in New York but for Texas it would actually be awful to travel
- Lower post-graduation salaries
- Not really strong in Oil & Gas (more renewables)
- Too many people interested in not-for-profit reduces the size of the “relevant” network

1) New Haven is great actually. You are probably right that most people don't choose to go to Texas, but it may not be that hard.
2) Not significantly.
3) Probably true.
4) Yale College alums are really supportive of SOM graduates.

Are you able to attend the admitted student events at any of these schools? Have you been put into touch with alumni from your goal sector? You do have a tough choice to make and these schools are all really different. I think you are leaning toward Texas but have been disappointed with things you've heard. You should see if you can assuage those concerns. Otherwise, Booth will definitely be supportive of your goals and the salary boost will offset the cost, no questions asked. Yale is a great place and it would be fun to see you there, but perhaps it's not ideal for you.

Let us know!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you everyone for your feedback. I am going to get in touch with people at the mentioned schools' energy clubs. I had never thought about the work visa issue to be honest but it's an excellent point. I checked a few O&G HR websites and it seems quite a few don't sponsor work visas, even some oil majors. Not reassuring and makes me wonder I would not be better off choosing Booth as it is the "safest" school in terms of recruiting (best career centre, highest ranking, largest alumni network).
Director
Director
Send PM
Another question is: how sure are you that you want to work in O&G? School will expose you to many different options and you may change your mind entirely. If you think there's a possibility that your goals may change, it makes sense to go to Booth over McCombs.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
kingfalcon wrote:
Another question is: how sure are you that you want to work in O&G? School will expose you to many different options and you may change your mind entirely. If you think there's a possibility that your goals may change, it makes sense to go to Booth over McCombs.

100% sure about O&G. Your point is very valid though. I am just not sure the $40k of additional debt for Booth is really worth it?
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Expert Reply
You sound like you want to go to McCombs. If that's the case, go there. At the end of the day this is your choice -- don't base your choice solely on rankings, GC input, and career specs. You are the one going to the school; your experience has to be worth it for you, not anyone else.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Damn! This decision is just awful. I really want to go to McCombs but it seems that Booth will position me more favourably for O&G recruitment. For instance Chevron has this Commercial Skills grad program that is only open to U.S. citizens or permanent residents but they actually recruit internationals from Booth (the fact that the CEO is an alum might be the reason).
Director
Director
Send PM
Honestly, in the long-run, $40K of additional debt is (virtually) nothing. As much as you can, I would try to remove that from your thought process. I agree with the school of thought that scholarship money should be a tie-breaker, not a primary factor in choosing a program.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V28
GMAT 2: 670 Q44 V39
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE:Accounting (Insurance)
Send PM
Congrats for accepting all 3, and also congrats for having half a brain and thinking through the decision logically rather than going purely on rankings. In my opinion, Booth is never the wrong answer to these questions, they have a powerful alumni base. So does Yale SOM, although its smaller.. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [3]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Kudos
I think you should pick Booth over UT due to following reasons.

1) UT's energy stats are inflated because not many people from other schools are interested in energy industry. If someone @ Booth wants to do Energy, he might have an easier time due to lack of competition for such jobs. The reason why UT sends so many people to energy is because 35% of its students are residents, and majority of them either are in that industry pre-mba or want to move into the industry post-MBA.
2) Outside of TX, UT is not considered a Top 10 school. Booth is Top5.
3) UT doesn't like international students. I think they admit them to raise their GMAT averages (being blunt). There were quite a bit of international students at UT with 770+ on GMATs, but otherwise very weak profiles. Plus I have few international friends who did their MBAs @ UT and had a hard time finding an Oil & Gas job, and had to settle for jobs in other industries.
4) O&G corp development jobs are hard to get if you don't have relevant energy IB experience. They are even harder for international students. I think you should go to Booth and keep your options open. There are quite a bit of energy companies outside of TX who might more friendly to Booth graduates.
5) 40k is nothing. I know people who passed up full rides @ UT to go to Top10 schools.

Lastly, some of the things you mentioned about Booth are not true. I didn't apply there but talked to few Booths alums. All I heard that students are very nice and willing to help others during the recruiting process. Also, most of the students live closer to the campus, so you won't have to commute much.

Hope this helps your decision. Please let me know what you decide.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks everyone for your advice.

I decided to go to Booth. I believe the career management centre at Booth is much more international student friendly from the information I was able to gather. In addition given my plans to work in corporate finance in the O&G industry appear quite challenging due to my international student status it seems that Booth will position me better for my secondary options (i.e. energy groups of investment banks and consulting firms in Texas).
Director
Director
Send PM
RR666 wrote:

I decided to go to Booth. I believe the career management centre at Booth is much more international student friendly from the information I was able to gather. In addition given my plans to work in corporate finance in the O&G industry appear quite challenging due to my international student status it seems that Booth will position me better for my secondary options (i.e. energy groups of investment banks and consulting firms in Texas).

Thank you for coming back and sharing your final decision with everyone. Good luck at Booth!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
RR666 wrote:

Very smart decision. Good Luck with the recruiting!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts