Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 12:02 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 12:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V39
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 4
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
dreamhunter wrote:
Thanks for the info. I was just wondering if an on campus interview in Chicago would send a stronger signal of my interest...

Many alumni confirmed me that interviewing on campus is not necessary and does not add points to your candidacy.
I am interviewing in London because the only interviewer that could do the interview in my country is a colleague of mine...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Just curious where you guys saw the name of your interviewer? I'm confirmed for my interview time and date, but don't recall seeing anything where they provided the name of my interviewer...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Send PM
hayguyz wrote:
Just curious where you guys saw the name of your interviewer? I'm confirmed for my interview time and date, but don't recall seeing anything where they provided the name of my interviewer...

If it is on-campus, you wouldn't know the name of your interviewer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GPA: 3.53
WE:Consulting (Insurance)
Send PM
abman1947 wrote:
I got an invite as well. Anybody interviewing on March 1st or March 2nd?

I'll be there on March 1. I'm flying out to Chicago on the 27th . . . I know they don't really care where you interview, but I'm grasping at straws here.

Katherine
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
I'm taking it laid back....interviewing Sat 9th, the last day of interviewing! I live in Chicago, so Hyde Park, where the Harper Center is, is a few minutes by driving away. I just hope that i get interviewed by an experienced adcom official, not a 2nd year student. I think that i have more life experiences, graduate school experiences (yep, applied and got in, PhD bio-sciences, plus three MAs degrees -two done!), etc than a 2nd year. An older person can really relate to me. My enemy for the interview is a 2nd year, female student....that's a train rack right there...

So, praying that i don't see 'enemy combatants' on interview day!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.4
WE:Research (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
stochastic77 wrote:
abman1947 wrote:
I got an invite as well. Anybody interviewing on March 1st or March 2nd?

I'll be there on March 1. I'm flying out to Chicago on the 27th . . . I know they don't really care where you interview, but I'm grasping at straws here.

Katherine

Yes, I'm interviewing on Saturday, the 2nd. Sadly, I'm missing the LPF. Would love to meet up and commiserate over a beer if folks are around.

Posted from my mobile device
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
nyama wrote:
I'm taking it laid back....interviewing Sat 9th, the last day of interviewing! I live in Chicago, so Hyde Park, where the Harper Center is, is a few minutes by driving away. I just hope that i get interviewed by an experienced adcom official, not a 2nd year student. I think that i have more life experiences, graduate school experiences (yep, applied and got in, PhD bio-sciences, plus three MAs degrees -two done!), etc than a 2nd year. An older person can really relate to me. My enemy for the interview is a 2nd year, female student....that's a train rack right there...

May I ask why you feel this way?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
cheetarah1980 wrote:
nyama wrote:

- Would she understand when i say that 'for our people, to change their lives,' hoping to be president of my country 20 years from now?
- Would she understands, that my life is bigger that an MBA? That the MBA is just part of the many tools that i will use to get ahead in the years ahead?
- That the short term and long term goals i will elucidate in that interview, might be different from what i will actually do when i graduate? That i have a right to change my mind? That this is interview, 'not a big deal' because it can't possibly capture the me and the life i have lived over the last decades?

I just think that some people out there, they forget to look at the big picture, ending up obsessing over an interview or class. That some of us are interviewing at uchicago is a mirracle in itself, why? Well, because, ten years ago in the village, the probability of getting into booth for me stood at 0.0000000001. I have battled this impossible probability, reducing it to almost 0.5. An interview should not stop me.

Originally posted by VoyagerII on 20 Feb 2013, 08:34.
Last edited by VoyagerII on 20 Feb 2013, 09:35, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.5
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Kudos
nyama wrote:
cheetarah1980 wrote:
nyama wrote:

- Would she understand when i say that 'for our people, to change their lives,' hoping to be president of my country 20 years from now?
- Would she understands, that my life is bigger that an MBA? That the MBA is just part of the many tools that i will use to get ahead in the years ahead?
- That the short term and long term goals i will elucidate in that interview, might be different from what i will actually do when i graduate? That i have a right to change my mind? That this is interview, 'not a big deal' because it can't possibly capture the me and the life i have lived over the last decades?

Point is, just afraid someone will take this interview as the most important thing in the world, when the opposite is true. I can give you more reasons if you want. One last example: I see it in some of my female professors (finishing my second MA...graduating in May, yay!), punishing me left and right, late assignment? Punished! They think that the class that they are teaching, is the most important thing in the world, they think that giving me a C or D or such in this class, will change anything. No, my life is bigger than a B or C or D from these classes. Who will care about a B/C/D from some class, years from now, when i'm president of some country?

I just think that some people out there, they forget to look at the big picture, ending up obsessing over an interview or class. That some of us are interviewing at uchicago is a mirracle in itself, why? Well, because, ten years ago in the village, the probability of getting into booth for me stood at 0.0000000001. I have battled this impossible probability, reducing it to almost 0.5. An interview should not stop me.

Wow. While I respect where you came from, you have to be able to work with different genders, races, personalities etc. How can you be president of a country if you can't even get over interviewing with a second year female? If Booth knew that was true, they would surely look elsewhere. Just my 2 pennies. Goodluck.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 48
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
nyama wrote:
cheetarah1980 wrote:
nyama wrote:

Point is, just afraid someone will take this interview as the most important thing in the world, when the opposite is true. I can give you more reasons if you want. One last example: I see it in some of my female professors (finishing my second MA...graduating in May, yay!), punishing me left and right, late assignment? Punished! They think that the class that they are teaching, is the most important thing in the world, they think that giving me a C or D or such in this class, will change anything. No, my life is bigger than a B or C or D from these classes. Who will care about a B/C/D from some class, years from now, when i'm president of some country?

May I know which president of which country? I think JD is better for the president track, at least in USA :-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [3]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Tuck '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46
GPA: 3.5
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
nyama wrote:
cheetarah1980 wrote:
nyama wrote:

Nyama - your post is quite myopic, misogynous, bigoted, and not does not suit an MBA aspirant. Given your language, and the mindset it reveals, I would think that your biggest enemy at the interview would be yourself. If this is how you come across on the interview, no interviewer - no matter how young or old, male or female, student, alumni or adcom - will want you in their MBA program.

It doesn't matter if your goals are lofty - the biggest dreamers are the greatest achievers - as long as you can convey them with passion and conviction. YOU need to know how the MBA will feature in your plans, and you need to convince the interviewer that you know. Pulling yourself up from a 0.0000000001 chance to a 0.5 chance is great, but your post just goes on to prove how important the interview really is - you may be the most qualified candidate, but I wouldn't want you in my class, or representing my school, if you continued to exhibit this mindset.

Ironically, for someone who scorns others for missing the big picture and obsessing over an interview, you've spent an inordinate amount of time and energy worrying about your 'interview enemy'.

MBAWanderlust
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Perhaps, in the system, i don't think that one would have pulled themselves up from a 0.0000000001 chance to a 0.5 if one was myopic, misogynous, bigoted. Just a thought.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
I'm sorry to jump on the dog pile, but I agree with MBAWanderlust and Bigblue. I'd advise you take a close look at what you wrote and think about what type of image it projects. Plus, keep in mind that the internet isn't *really* anonymous; the Booth adcom could probably figure out who you are if they wanted to.

Originally posted by kingfalcon on 20 Feb 2013, 09:22.
Last edited by kingfalcon on 20 Feb 2013, 09:35, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [2]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
nyama wrote:
Perhaps, in the system, i don't think that one would have pulled themselves up from a 0.0000000001 chance to a 0.5 if one was myopic, misogynous, bigoted. Just a thought.

I think this stat falls in the 43%.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/stupidest-thing-you-interviewer-have-said-in-an-interview-61886-40.html#p1183083
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
I work with everybody. After a long higher education record of 10years (college + grad school), means i worked with everyone. Even the conglomerate i work for, women left and right. I think one point i forgot to mention is that, if i can convince the 2nd year female student of the awesomeness of my file, then my business career is set...because i would be able to sale anybody 'snow' here in Chicago in winter...! :) The salesman of the year!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [3]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V34
GMAT 2: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 2.79
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
i like how nyama's GPA went from 2.5 to 3.98 and GRE went from Q151 V163 (total 314) to Q163 V163 (somehow still total 314) after kingfalcon said "keep in mind that the internet isn't *really* anonymous; the Booth adcom could probably figure out who you are if they wanted to."
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
GPA: 3.81
Kudos
nyama wrote:
I work with everybody. After a long higher education record of 10years (college + grad school), means i worked with everyone. Even the conglomerate i work for, women left and right. I think one point i forgot to mention is that, if i can convince the 2nd year female student of the awesomeness of my file, then my business career is set...because i would be able to sale anybody 'snow' here in Chicago in winter...! :) The salesman of the year!

Wow, you don't know when to stop!

I will echo kingfalcon's post; you've divulged an incredible amount of personal information, regardless of your comical GPA and GRE change (which has been ironically memorialized by the previous post). How many international students are currently in MA programs in Chicago? And how many of those were invited to interview? It would be completely ignorant and naive to think that the Adcom wouldn't see your post and deny your admission. Then again, ignorance seems to be your forte.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  45   46   47   48   49   50   51  ...  84   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts