Last visit was: 06 May 2024, 09:29 It is currently 06 May 2024, 09:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Accounting, Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [1]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Re: Taking a break from work- looks bad for an application? [#permalink]
I will concur with kingfalcon’s advice; do the adventure after your admittance.

Think from a logistic stand point. If you do a 3-6 months trip, you will likely be either unemployed or seeking employment at time of application. B-school application is a time-consuming process, compounding it with learning a new job or job hunting may lower your application quality.

If you can, try to stay at the same start up. If not, move to a different job that makes logical sense.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 637 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
GPA: 2.5
WE:Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
This is a topic I wanted advise myself. I quit my job couple of months back. Due to an accident. Under normal circumstances, any work place should have considered "leave of work" on emergency grounds, since it happened inside work premise. Unfortunately, it did not happen that way. so I quit. Still recovering. However, in the meantime, I have got into entrepreneurship. Next month, I will be co founding a workshop with an underprivileged person of my community. The purposes were manifold - I needed to work on something, can socially help a person, and lastly it is great to open something of our own, even if it is not of my related work field and not on very large scale yet - but from business plan, to fund manage, marketing etc it seems like I am using every cent of my 12 years work experience. Having said that, I do have a bit of insecurity, since the way I left my job - getting reference from the employer looks impossible.

Will appreciate feedback if this move will disrupt my profile presentation in any ways....
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT Date: 05-24-2013
GPA: 3.2
WE:Marketing (Other)
Send PM
asimov wrote:

Think from a logistic stand point. If you do a 3-6 months trip, you will likely be either unemployed or seeking employment at time of application. B-school application is a time-consuming process, compounding it with learning a new job or job hunting may lower your application quality.

If you can, try to stay at the same start up. If not, move to a different job that makes logical sense.

I have a situation on somewhat similar grounds, I will be leaving my current company in the last week of May(after over 7 years at the same company). Since I am targeting the June round of applications I would be still working when these applications go in. Now some of the business schools I am applying for (if I get through) start in September so I think searching for a new job/or even joining for 3 months would be unfair to the employer.However some of my target schools start in Jan 2014 (though applications are in June) and here again if I dont consider joining a new employer for the previous reason, then I may not be able to justify it for a 6 month gap. I am not very concerned about the effort required along with application prep to get myself another job however I am concerned about the short term I would end up working with my next employer (if accepted). And if I do decide that I should perhaps just take the break, how can I justify it to the adcom for January 14 intakes?Any suggestions for making this break tangible(please note I can only indicate a plan to adcom for June - Dec as the applications go in June)?

Any recommendations on what I should do?Any thoughts would be most appreciated!
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2063 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
vsub08 wrote:
asimov wrote:

I have a situation on somewhat similar grounds, I will be leaving my current company in the last week of May(after over 7 years at the same company). Since I am targeting the June round of applications I would be still working when these applications go in. Now some of the business schools I am applying for (if I get through) start in September so I think searching for a new job/or even joining for 3 months would be unfair to the employer.However some of my target schools start in Jan 2014 (though applications are in June) and here again if I dont consider joining a new employer for the previous reason, then I may not be able to justify it for a 6 month gap. I am not very concerned about the effort required along with application prep to get myself another job however I am concerned about the short term I would end up working with my next employer (if accepted). And if I do decide that I should perhaps just take the break, how can I justify it to the adcom for January 14 intakes?Any suggestions for making this break tangible(please note I can only indicate a plan to adcom for June - Dec as the applications go in June)?

What I would suggest if possible is to send in all your applications BEFORE you quit. That way you don't need to let them know about it, or even worry what they might think about it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT Date: 05-24-2013
GPA: 3.2
WE:Marketing (Other)
Send PM
JonAdmissionado wrote:
vsub08 wrote:
asimov wrote:

What I would suggest if possible is to send in all your applications BEFORE you quit. That way you don't need to let them know about it, or even worry what they might think about it.

Thanks Jon for your input. I am aiming to do the same however most of the applications in the work experience tab ask for how many years/months of work experience one would have at the time of joining the school, wouldnt the break then reflect here?
GMAT Club Bot