Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 05:18 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 05:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [0]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Re: Stern vs Ross - couple going for consulting & marketing [#permalink]
machichi wrote:
I bet Ross sends tons of people to NYC and I don't think it will be an uphill battle at all. Talk to alumni if you can in NYC. There must be an admitted student event there? At the ones I've attended they've brought alumni to help sell us on the school.

This is true. My post-MBA plans involve NYC as well, and while I didn't apply to Ross, they were on my radar due to a 19.2% placement of the 2012 class in the New York metro area. That's pretty impressive when you consider that the figure is higher than Kellogg's and given it's midwest location.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
kingfalcon wrote:
These schools are definitely peers. While I think Ross may be marginally better for consulting, I think Stern is the easy choice if you are dead-set on living in NYC afterwards. Congrats on getting into the same schools, by the way! Life would have been much more difficult had he gotten into Ross only and you Stern only :).

Go to the best school you get into in the area you want to live in.

EDIT: With the exception of Harvard, whose network could likely get you anywhere you want to go.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
codytravers wrote:
kingfalcon wrote:
These schools are definitely peers. While I think Ross may be marginally better for consulting, I think Stern is the easy choice if you are dead-set on living in NYC afterwards. Congrats on getting into the same schools, by the way! Life would have been much more difficult had he gotten into Ross only and you Stern only :).

Go to the best school you get into in the area you want to live in.

EDIT: With the exception of Harvard, whose network could likely get you anywhere you want to go.

I'm not sure I agree with this in all cases. I don't think someone who wants to live and work in Seattle would be better served by going to Foster than Sloan or Haas, for example.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
ChristineG wrote:
Hi everyone!

My husband and I both got into Ross & Stern full time MBA programs - he's career switching from finance to consulting and I'm career switching from finance to marketing. No $$ at either school and we're both in the Stern Summer Start program.

Our end goal is to both get the best jobs possible post-grad in the NYC area in our respective fields. Which school would better fit both our needs? We are both currently living in NYC and are from the area.

We like the community vibe of Ross more than Stern's, but feel that Stern could provide more ample NYC opportunities for the both of us, despite being a finance heavy school. The Stern name also seems to hold more weight on the east coast than Ross does (some employers/people I've approached are not as familiar with Ross).

Environment wise these two schools couldn't be more opposite, but that really isn't a concern for us because we'd be fine at either setting (large city vs college town).

Cost of living etc. are not much of a concern for us either -- we are primarily focused on going to the school that will give us the best recruitment opportunities for our fields once we're done. Ross has a good program (esp in marketing), but I'm worried its location will hinder our NYC post-grad goal - even though it's totally doable from Ross, Stern seems like it would provide a less uphill battle when searching for NYC jobs.

We're so torn and keep going back and forth - overall I think Stern may be better since we're looking for jobs in NYC (esp in consulting), but could be wrong. Help! :?

So you both live and work in NYC now, and will most likely be heading back to NYC post mba... IDK, I personally didnt apply to anything in Boston because my wife and I wanted a break from the city we're planning on spending our lives in... If you fall into this category, I'd head to Ross... I'd talk to local alumni and such to ease your apprehensions about you ability to get back to the city, but I doubt it'll be that tough.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts