Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 09:21 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 09:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: International Business, Finance
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Concentration: International Business, Finance
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink]
Hi there,

As a non native English speaker I want to start with building my English grammar foundation for the sentence correction part.

It seems most popular are the following, but in what sequence?

1)Aristotle HG 3rd Ed

and them possibly 2)Manhattan SC?

I am relatively weak in this area and need to start from scratch before I attempt any questions.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thank you.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 530 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi bb,

I am about to start my GMAT preparation and I am planning to buy MGMAT set and OG 13. For 1st month I am going to cover Quant part and in 2nd Verbal part.

But before that I am thinking to give a GMAT test so that I can analyze myself and target the sections. Could you please suggest the source from where I can download the test or I can give online test.

As everyone I am also targeting 700+.

Would you recommend Kaplan books? If so could you please suggest which book(s) would be useful? As I can see so many books by Kaplan so could not decide.

Overall I would have OG 13, MGMAT Books set and Kaplan.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Hi,

I would need some guidance regarding the study plan and books. I will appear for the test at end of March'13.
I am targeting 700+ score.
As of now:
I have completed MGMAT study material
Please suggest-
1. Which other books I should do to achieve the target?
for - Quant
- RC
- SC
- CR
- From where can I practice more questions for aforesaid topics?
2. When Should I start taking the tests and how many tests should I take ?
3. Which tests series (Kaplan/ MGMAT/ or anyother ) would be the best to achieve 700+ score?
4. Any other suggestions or Study plan - i should follow - Keeping in mind - I have couple of months to appear for the tests.

Thanks Much.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 490 Q44 V15
GMAT 2: 590 Q48 V24
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Quote:
if you don't know the underlying principles that GMAT is testing (such as grammar, arithmetic, etc) there is no use in solving hundreds of questions or taking multiple GMAT tests. This means that if English is not your native language, you should not work on the RC strategies if you can't understand half of the passage - you need to get comfortable reading long passages of text before moving on.

make me impressed
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GPA: 3.6
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
SahniManish1985 wrote:
Hi,

I would need some guidance regarding the study plan and books. I will appear for the test at end of March'13.
I am targeting 700+ score.
As of now:
I have completed MGMAT study material
Please suggest-
1. Which other books I should do to achieve the target?
for - Quant
- RC
- SC
- CR
- From where can I practice more questions for aforesaid topics?
2. When Should I start taking the tests and how many tests should I take ?
3. Which tests series (Kaplan/ MGMAT/ or anyother ) would be the best to achieve 700+ score?
4. Any other suggestions or Study plan - i should follow - Keeping in mind - I have couple of months to appear for the tests.

Thanks Much.

Manish,
Did you try taking a CAT?If not,then you should take a CAT immediately to establish your current score level and your strengths,weaknesses etc.For the material,MGMAT is pretty good though there are a lot of other factors involved for a 700+ score.Also,you can look at the reviews of all the prep companies(Main Forum) here and make your own decision.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Other
Send PM
Hey chief,

Quick update:

Been 2 weeks now, started a tutorial program in Madras, India. My question is related to what my plan should look like to maximise the time that I have. After the 1st 2 weeks, (during which time Ive been doing Quant mainly) i've become really paranoid because I feel that i do not have enough time. What questions must I answer to be able to map out a schedule that gives me clarity of what to focus on?

I do not believe that the 1st test (GMAT prep) i took was an accurate measure of my ability. It was the first exam, i had taken in 5 years and quite frankly I just wanted it done with. I finished both sections with 15 minutes remaining on the clock respectively (I scored a 400). Given the time and enough practice it is possible (or so i believe) to ace the quant section. When i started my program, it took my 30 to 45 minutes to solve a question but after revising the concept again; i am able to solve it 4-5 minutes. All this within 2 weeks. So maybe im just disillusioned but I think i can get a 700 easily. My exam is on the 17th of July - approximately 3 months from today.

Your advice would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Vidyuth
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi,

I took the test last year and scored 600 ( Q41 V31). I plan on taking it again in Aug.
I just went through the 3 month study plan, however, I would like to know, if it'd make sense to do verbal and quant together?
That is, utilizing each month for a different verbal topic ( For eg, Month 1- SC, Month 2- RC and Month 3- CR), and simultaneously doing quant topics over a period of 3 months?

Thanks
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4054 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
Hi bb,
Hope you're doing well...!

Sent you a PM related to Study plan and GMAT prep.Would you please come up with your expert's feedback...?

Really appreciate your help as always.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4054 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
debayan222 wrote:
Hi bb,
Hope you're doing well...!

Sent you a PM related to Study plan and GMAT prep.Would you please come up with your expert's feedback...?

Really appreciate your help as always.

Hi bb,
Any update on this Sir ? Did you get to see my PM on this?

Eagerly awaiting your reply.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hello boys and girls, this is my first post in the forums and i hope that I'm welcome to ask my silly questions.

My plan is to take the GMAT test in about 3 months, exactly 100 days from now. I have never done it so it is going to be my first and hopefully last. I am 28 years old and been off school for 5 years since i took my bachelor degree (very rusty). My plan for the moment is to study math the first month, verbal second month and for the third month a full repetition by taking different kind of tests. This is basically BB´s study plan.

I got MGMAT Prep books, OG13, Verbal OG and Quant OG.

As you can see my english is quite poor after all these years since i graduated....I have an A in english, believe it or not. I've bought a couple of books and an subscription on The Economist to freshen up the language.

I aim at 550-600, do you guys think its possible if i study 8 hours per week for 3 months?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
WE:Information Technology (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
Hello Experts,
I am a newbie to GMAT Club and planning to take the GMAT. I have gone through some of the posts here and have a basic question. As I am from India and we have a percentage gradation system in Xth, XIIth, Graduation, Post Graduation. So my question of experts from India, how the GPA is being calculated? (e.g 80 % in Xth Std, 78 % in XIIth Std, 88% in Graduation, 82% in Masters)
Any help is highly appreciated.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72923 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
soumodipm wrote:
Hello Experts,
I am a newbie to GMAT Club and planning to take the GMAT. I have gone through some of the posts here and have a basic question. As I am from India and we have a percentage gradation system in Xth, XIIth, Graduation, Post Graduation. So my question of experts from India, how the GPA is being calculated? (e.g 80 % in Xth Std, 78 % in XIIth Std, 88% in Graduation, 82% in Masters)
Any help is highly appreciated.

Many schools take the India GPA. But otherwise, see this: how-to-convert-indian-gpa-percentage-to-us-4-pt-gpa-scale-124249.html
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
WE:Information Technology (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
While giving the practice tests, I feel easier if I have a rough white sheet & pencil, to make rough calculations/scribbles etc. Is it allowed to use rough white paper/sheet while taking the actual GMAT exam? Does the GMAT officials supply these sheets if required?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
bb, Thanks for the g8 post!

"Note2: This approach of specialized prep takes closer to 2 months for verbal" - Does this add up to 4 months of studying?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [3]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.54
Send PM
Kudos
I read somewhere that you should not start with OG. So, what should we start off with?
I am a novice to GMAT and have just started preparations. I have taken OG Diagnostic test and got 32 out of 48 in Quants and 33 out of 52 in Verbal. Please suggest.
Thanks in advance.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hey...can someone tell me what is better..self study or taking a prep course....considering i m weak in Quant.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63700 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Jyotisoni78, it completely depends on how you learn and how you want to manage the study process. If you're organized and self-motivated and learn well from books, then start with self-study and see what happens. If you need some extra guidance, then you might be better off getting started in a classroom. If the cost of a course doesn't mean much to you, then there's probably very little harm in taking a good class.

You might want to check out these links for similar discussions on this topic:
online-course-vs-self-study-121984.html
prep-course-vs-self-study-81011.html
self-study-vs-class-based-prep-142451.html

And reviews of specific GMAT courses can be found here: gmat-prep-course-reviews-discount-codes-78451.html

Good luck with your studies!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  25   26   27   28   29   30   31  ...  42