GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Sep 2018, 13:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Sep 2011
Posts: 4
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2012, 07:21
rakesh38 wrote:
Hey BB..

I am planning to take GMAT in 8-9 weeks time from now.
And below details explain where I stand now.

I started my GMAT prep 4 weeks back. Being an engineer , Quant is my fav area and I am very much comfortable with it.
However CR and RC are my pain areas.
Took my 1st CAT test(manhattan) a week back ans scored : 670 ( 48QA and 33 VA).
Toom my 2nd CAT test(manhattan) today and scored :690 (48QA and 35 VA)

The books I am using:
Maths: Manhattan (all 5 quants) + Maths Bible NOVA
Quant: Manhattan(RC , SC , CR) , powerscore CR and Aristotle SC and RC.
OG 12 , GMAT Verbal + Quant review.

750+ is the target here as I represent the most common test taker.(Computer science engineer from India with an average GPA + 4 years of IT exp (1 yr in Europe))

Need suggestion on the following points:

1. What I need to do to take my Quant to 50 +.
2. What I need to do t improve my RC.
3. Can you please suggesst any overall verbal plans.
4. Is 8-9 weeks of prep from now good enough ?
5. I am planning on 2 CATs per week (total 15 + ) , is that a good stratergy or you think it is going to prove fatal.
6. 2-3 hours per day is max I can put into my prep. So do I need to focus on any other material and cut down few I am currently using.

Thanks a ton in advance!
Cheers
Rakesh


Hi BB,

In addition to my previous post:

MGMAT CAT 3 : 700 (50 QA and 31 VA)
MGMAT CAT 4 : 630 (48 QA and 28 VA)
MGMAT CAT 5 : 710 (49 QA and 38 VA)
MGMAT CAT 6 : 670 (49 QA and 31 VA)
GMAT Prep 1 : 720 (50 QA and 35 VA)

I feel, I am struggling with the verbal section .
I am just not able to crack that 750 barrier .

Can some one please suggest what needs to be done to take the VA to 40 + and QA to 51.
Any suggestion where I can find a good collection of authentic difficult questions.

A response is much appreciated.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Dec 2010
Posts: 27
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2012, 17:20
Hi,

I gave my first GMAT last year without studying for it and got 510 (Q35, V25). Yes I know it's abysmal. I have registered to give it again on Nov. 5, 2012 1pm. So I have about 2 months left. According to some it's not enough time for a 700+ score but I will only be studying, don't have any work or other commitments. My target is to aim for 99th percentile as my GPA and work exp. aren't exactly exemplary. I do understand if most of you are laughing right about now but it is something I simply I have to do. Worst case scenario if my practice test scores aren't good enough 10 days before the test date I'll postpone the test. I don't want to postpone right now as I'm targeting a couple of universities in their first deadline.

I would really appreciate if someone with a 750+ score considers me as their "mad scientist" project and guides me with a study plan.

I already have the following course material:

1. Set of MGMAT 5th edition.
2. Official Guide latest ed.
3. English Grammar for Dummies.
4. The Elements of Style by Strunk & White
5. GMAT Club Grammar
6. Powerscore GMAT Critical Reasoning
7. Powerscore LSAT Logical Reasoning (if I do well on my GMAT, I might also give the LSAT)

I plan to get the OG Verbal and Quant later on unless advised to do so earlier.

Please suggest a detailed study plan like a daily or weekly plan. I would like to work on both Quant and Verbal daily and not divide them into different months/periods.

Thanks in advance!
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 13 Feb 2012
Posts: 139
Location: Italy
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V34
GPA: 3.1
WE: Sales (Transportation)
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2012, 10:30
Is there a definite answer to when you should start practicing with full length tests regularly?

Apart from the third month (for a standard study plan) would it be appropriate to take one full cat simulation every weekend after the first month or so?
_________________

"The Burnout" - My Debrief

Kudos if I helped you ;)


Andy

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Jul 2012
Posts: 2
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2012, 11:50
teekays wrote:
Hello All,

First off I'm very nervous!! I haven't sat for a competitive exam in 10+ years. I'm 32, me and my wife just had a baby (1 year old), I have a good job in a medium size company but I've started to feel my career progression has stopped and I need to do study further to move ahead both financially and for moving to a better place (something more cosmopolitan than the rusty old town I'm stuck in).

I took my first GMAT prep test the day before yesterday without preparation and I got only 590 (Q38, V34). I'm kind of worried about this score. When I took GRE about 12 years ago, I was in the 99th percentile, but has age gotten to me so soon?? I have committed several silly mistakes in problem solving, couldn't organize data clearly to solve problems in quant, all solutions to sentence correction looks correct to me... the list is endless. RC was the only area I did well without mistakes, I pretty much sucked in all other areas.

My test date is exactly 3 months from now on Oct 24. Can I ever dream of getting 750+?

I have OG13 to start with, what else do I need? Any good recommendations for reading materials SC, PS, CR, DS? Online question banks? CAT tests? I've attached a question bank for RC that I found online today if anybody is interested.

Thanks a lot for your help!! I'll try to post my progress or otherwise regularly....



Hi

Lets consider 3 levels to reach your best figure.
With my experience and knowledge,Since OG13 have all the official questions Suggest it to use at 2nd level.

At start Analyze your 590 Mark test thoroughly figure out your worried locations.Your Quant score can be improved more.So would suggest to use MGMAT material for overviewing test strategies. Once you were done with it suggest you to go with some practice questions repeat the above until you cross 45 in Quant.

Once you reach 45 Mark you can use OG13 for solving questions and also parallely prepare error logs for it.

Use all the error logs and some practice tests in Level 3.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Status: Keep walking
Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 2
Location: Singapore
GMAT Date: 11-28-2012
WE: Corporate Finance (Accounting)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2012, 03:18
Thanks BB for this post. Must admit I entered into this community as a lost soul - with only my vision to do a masters. And GMAT seemed too complicated a maze to get through. Thankfully GMATclub makes average brains like mine feel at ease with GMAT prep.

I just need a help with the following. Though I am able to grasp almost everything I read, I particularly seem to have difficulty in deciphering percents problems. Like to clearly comprehend the wordings of Percents problems seems an uphill task and I end up spending 1/6th of an hour for even a simple problem (worst still I always end up referring to answers to understand the question and approach) Is there any particular advise to overcome this hurdle.

Also, I would like to take topic wise tests- Number properties, percents, probability, geometry etc - where should I begin with and is it advisable to buy access to all the tests than individual ones? Please help me. Thanks in advance.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 31 Aug 2012
Posts: 35
GPA: 3.65
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2012, 08:35
hello,,,its maryam,,,i am already working on GMAT preparation from past 10 days and I've spent time on revising quantitative basics from Academy I want to work even more than what I am covering these days in Academy,,as I have to appear in GMAT by Oct 2012 my minimum score requirement is 553,,any suggestions for me as I can't follow 3month plan,,,I appreciate any useful suggestions,,,Thanks,,,
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Aug 2012
Posts: 2
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2012, 09:36
Quick question - for those using the MGMAT strategy guides, do you go through 1 book at a time or do you alternate working through books? i.e. 1 day do 2 hrs with Number properties, next day do 2 hrs using percentages, decimals?

Thanks in advance!
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Sep 2012
Posts: 139
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2012, 03:50
Hello Guys,

I have been trying or pretending to study from past 2 months for GMAT, but just couldnot kick start in full throttle because of my job change.
Now after changing the job in new company I am almost settled and want to give GMAT in NOV -2012 . :( (I know I am already running short of time)

I have only 2 months time I took GMAT PREP - I and scored a mere 590 and I aim to score 700 +

I am ok with quant only thing is CR and SC, slowly I am getting comfortable with both oof these topics but still far away from confident.
Can any one please help me what else I should study on the way.Following books I have been reading till now.

OG -12, OG 13
Aristotle SC GRAIL
Powerscore CR Bible
Manhattan Arithmetic guides 1, 2 ,3

What other boooks shall I refer for 700 + .

Any one else from Delhi, Noida and wants to joine me for study group please mail me or pm me.

Thanks in Advance
Abhinav
_________________

Regards,
Abhinav

GMAT 1 - 580 (Q47 V23) http://gmatclub.com/forum/a-tight-slap-on-face-149457.html

GMAT 2 - 670 (Q48 V34) http://gmatclub.com/forum/670-one-month-off-from-office-and-2-months-hard-work-163761.html#p1297561

“If you don't change your life; your life will change you.”

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 Sep 2012
Posts: 1
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2012, 22:58
Hi bb,

I would like to make an attempt for GMAT but my verbal is really weak. Any suggestions on how to improve it.


Regards,
Preeti.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Oct 2012
Posts: 3
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2012, 10:42
:-D Hi,

I am new to this forum, I plan to take GMAT next year mostly and apply for admission to B-School by end of next year only. I want to give as much time preparing for GMAT. Considering that I have bulk amount of time, when does the universities starts accepting applications? I also need to know about the GMAT's strategies of Verbal & Quantitative. Is it similar to GRE Verbal. I am good at argumentative analysis and reasoning but not good at the verbal vocabulary section. Please advise for getting up to the vocabulary expected to get into a good B-school with Fedral Financial Aid Scholarship.

Thanks,
Soni Vashisht
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 06 Jul 2012
Posts: 36
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2012, 10:51
jaydotcee wrote:
Quick question - for those using the MGMAT strategy guides, do you go through 1 book at a time or do you alternate working through books? i.e. 1 day do 2 hrs with Number properties, next day do 2 hrs using percentages, decimals?

Thanks in advance!


I completed 3 of them within the past 4 days...now just picking up the 4th book....plan to finish all the 10 books within 10 days...let's see how that works...
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 06 Mar 2012
Posts: 3
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Leadership
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V31
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2012, 05:41
Hi,
Planning to start off with my GMAT prep. Would like to know if there is anybody in Mysore who has similar Plans.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Jun 2012
Posts: 3
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2012, 04:42
Quote:
Common Mistakes with GMAT preparation
2: Starting with the Official Guide - waste of official GMAT questions
so by which books do I have to start?


Could someone please answer this question? What would you recommend? I am currently reading the Manhattan Guides (quant). Would you start practicing with the indicated questions of the Quantitative Review instead of the one of the Official Guide or are they both equally "valuable"?? So are there other questions than those?
I feel like just reading the strategies and not applying them immediately to real questions will make me forget most of the stuff soon.

Thank you!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2011
Posts: 1
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2012, 20:39
Hi, I have just started with GMAT Prep. Can someone please suggest me the study plan how to approach solving pbms in Math, as I am not good at that?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Nov 2012
Posts: 65
Concentration: International Business, Operations
Schools: Foster '15 (S)
GPA: 3.65
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2012, 14:09
Hey BB,

Great post. I started prepping up for my GMAT in November and am done with the verbal section with both SC and CR. I will be jumping over to the Quant here pretty soon and have been using the outline you have put together. I was wondering in your step 2 you mentioned "Step 2: Take a practice test to find out how far you are from your target . Many believe it is a good use of one of the free GMAT Prep tests (I'll tell you to actually get more than 2 tests out of the package later)." but I don't see anywhere in your post on how to do so. Any ideas.
_________________

___________________________________________
Consider +1 Kudos if my post helped

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Nov 2012
Posts: 65
Concentration: International Business, Operations
Schools: Foster '15 (S)
GPA: 3.65
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2012, 14:13
vindhya3 wrote:
Hi, I have just started with GMAT Prep. Can someone please suggest me the study plan how to approach solving pbms in Math, as I am not good at that?


I would suggest you get some prep material like the Manhattan GMAT Data Sufficiency and Problem Solving books. Then take a prep test either through MGMAT, or GMAT prep or some other tests available online and find out, out of the two which topic area you are weakest on and start from there. I for myself know that I am weak in Data Sufficiency and would be focusing on it here in few days. Good luck on prepping.
_________________

___________________________________________
Consider +1 Kudos if my post helped

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 06 Dec 2012
Posts: 15
Concentration: International Business, Finance
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2012, 07:35
Hi everyone!just quick question, i've read/solved the Quantitative preparation set of MGMAT within 3 days.Almost everything(except the sufficiency problems) was familiar to me, so i didn't have any difficulties solving them. However, i'm not sure if i'm on the right way, since according to your study suggestions I am supposed to spend about a month working on quantitative part. I was actually planning to start studying the verbal part and to solving tough math questions, since the verbal part is my weakness(i'm non-native speaker).So couldn't you please give me any advice regarding what i should better do now? I guess you are more experienced in it than i am)Thanks in advance.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Nov 2012
Posts: 65
Concentration: International Business, Operations
Schools: Foster '15 (S)
GPA: 3.65
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2012, 09:45
1
vugi wrote:
Hi everyone!just quick question, i've read/solved the Quantitative preparation set of MGMAT within 3 days.Almost everything(except the sufficiency problems) was familiar to me, so i didn't have any difficulties solving them. However, i'm not sure if i'm on the right way, since according to your study suggestions I am supposed to spend about a month working on quantitative part. I was actually planning to start studying the verbal part and to solving tough math questions, since the verbal part is my weakness(i'm non-native speaker).So couldn't you please give me any advice regarding what i should better do now? I guess you are more experienced in it than i am)Thanks in advance.


Hi Vugi,

The one month suggestions is based on an average test taker's experience. Most people need that much time to go through Quant. But if you were able to cover it in 3 days with enough confidence then good for you. I would suggest you take a quick prep test to see if you are scoring in the high 40 range for Quant to assess your skill levels. If not then you may need to dig deeper and figure out areas where you are weak in the quant section. If you score good then move on to verbal and focus on that part.
_________________

___________________________________________
Consider +1 Kudos if my post helped

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 06 Dec 2012
Posts: 15
Concentration: International Business, Finance
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2012, 10:00
pikachu wrote:
vugi wrote:
Hi everyone!just quick question, i've read/solved the Quantitative preparation set of MGMAT within 3 days.Almost everything(except the sufficiency problems) was familiar to me, so i didn't have any difficulties solving them. However, i'm not sure if i'm on the right way, since according to your study suggestions I am supposed to spend about a month working on quantitative part. I was actually planning to start studying the verbal part and to solving tough math questions, since the verbal part is my weakness(i'm non-native speaker).So couldn't you please give me any advice regarding what i should better do now? I guess you are more experienced in it than i am)Thanks in advance.


Hi Vugi,

The one month suggestions is based on an average test taker's experience. Most people need that much time to go through Quant. But if you were able to cover it in 3 days with enough confidence then good for you. I would suggest you take a quick prep test to see if you are scoring in the high 40 range for Quant to assess your skill levels. If not then you may need to dig deeper and figure out areas where you are weak in the quant section. If you score good then move on to verbal and focus on that part.


hi pikachu, thanks for quick response. i have just taken the gmat club free test on quant and got :Valid answers:28 / 37Session score:98% / Q51Average answer:1 min 56 secTotal time:71 min 54 sec. i guess chatting on skype and scoring so high at the same time is some kind not reliable. Do you know if this test reliable enough?I can hardly believe it could of relevant difficulty.Thanks in advance.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Nov 2012
Posts: 65
Concentration: International Business, Operations
Schools: Foster '15 (S)
GPA: 3.65
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2012, 10:12
vugi wrote:
pikachu wrote:
vugi wrote:
Hi everyone!just quick question, i've read/solved the Quantitative preparation set of MGMAT within 3 days.Almost everything(except the sufficiency problems) was familiar to me, so i didn't have any difficulties solving them. However, i'm not sure if i'm on the right way, since according to your study suggestions I am supposed to spend about a month working on quantitative part. I was actually planning to start studying the verbal part and to solving tough math questions, since the verbal part is my weakness(i'm non-native speaker).So couldn't you please give me any advice regarding what i should better do now? I guess you are more experienced in it than i am)Thanks in advance.


Hi Vugi,

The one month suggestions is based on an average test taker's experience. Most people need that much time to go through Quant. But if you were able to cover it in 3 days with enough confidence then good for you. I would suggest you take a quick prep test to see if you are scoring in the high 40 range for Quant to assess your skill levels. If not then you may need to dig deeper and figure out areas where you are weak in the quant section. If you score good then move on to verbal and focus on that part.


hi pikachu, thanks for quick response. i have just taken the gmat club free test on quant and got :Valid answers:28 / 37Session score:98% / Q51Average answer:1 min 56 secTotal time:71 min 54 sec. i guess chatting on skype and scoring so high at the same time is some kind not reliable. Do you know if this test reliable enough?I can hardly believe it could of relevant difficulty.Thanks in advance.


I haven't taken the GMAT club tests so don't know anything about them. The other thing that comes to mind is if you have the official guide go through the Diagnostic test at the beginning of the guide. If you get most right you are on the right track. Good Luck.
_________________

___________________________________________
Consider +1 Kudos if my post helped

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep &nbs [#permalink] 13 Dec 2012, 10:12

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  24   25   26   27   28   29   30  ...  42    Next  [ 830 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT
HOT DEALS FOR SEPTEMBER
e-GMAT: Free 30 day Access! 25+ Video Lessons | 400+ Practice Questions | 7 Free Webinars
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL Full GMAT video course - Save 10%
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.