GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Aug 2018, 03:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Nov 2012
Posts: 5
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2013, 05:15
New Year Wishes to Everyone!!

I have question on GMAT strategy. How would you recommend study plan for a month? I have all one month to myself (read GMAT) but nothing after that.
Apologies to those who find it blasphemous..but I need to do it in a month. One's with "U need more time" Sorry I am not addressing the query to you..
Only crackers with a yes may please share strategies/ study plans/suggestions/own experiences (of success only).
I am looking for 'go for it' strategies . I have browsed through the content nd I am am fairly fine with both quant and verbal.
All I have is a complete month nd lots of fire...
Awaiting inputs ..
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Nov 2012
Posts: 65
Concentration: International Business, Operations
Schools: Foster '15 (S)
GPA: 3.65
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2013, 10:37
Shini1 wrote:
New Year Wishes to Everyone!!

I have question on GMAT strategy. How would you recommend study plan for a month? I have all one month to myself (read GMAT) but nothing after that.
Apologies to those who find it blasphemous..but I need to do it in a month. One's with "U need more time" Sorry I am not addressing the query to you..
Only crackers with a yes may please share strategies/ study plans/suggestions/own experiences (of success only).
I am looking for 'go for it' strategies . I have browsed through the content nd I am am fairly fine with both quant and verbal.
All I have is a complete month nd lots of fire...
Awaiting inputs ..


Shini,

Without knowing whether you can focus on studying for GMAT full time or part time during this month its hard to tell. Better off start with GMAT prep exam see where you are and focus on your weakest area.

pikachu
PS: kudos please if you like my post
_________________

___________________________________________
Consider +1 Kudos if my post helped

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Nov 2012
Posts: 5
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2013, 21:06
pikachu wrote:
Shini1 wrote:
New Year Wishes to Everyone!!

I have question on GMAT strategy. How would you recommend study plan for a month? I have all one month to myself (read GMAT) but nothing after that.
Apologies to those who find it blasphemous..but I need to do it in a month. One's with "U need more time" Sorry I am not addressing the query to you..
Only crackers with a yes may please share strategies/ study plans/suggestions/own experiences (of success only).
I am looking for 'go for it' strategies . I have browsed through the content nd I am am fairly fine with both quant and verbal.
All I have is a complete month nd lots of fire...
Awaiting inputs ..


Shini,

Without knowing whether you can focus on studying for GMAT full time or part time during this month its hard to tell. Better off start with GMAT prep exam see where you are and focus on your weakest area.

pikachu
PS: kudos please if you like my post



Thanks for the inputs pikachu.. I can study full time during the said period.. ny more ideas pls?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 06 Dec 2012
Posts: 15
Concentration: International Business, Finance
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2013, 11:20
Hi everyone!
I need an advice re the preparation.
I have taken the Manh.GMAT Adaptive test and got Q47 and V34 (didn't answer the last 3 questions in each section). It seems that Quantitative part is not tough and i can improve it simply practicing and analyzing the tests. In contrast, I have real problems with the Verbal part(mainly in SC and RC) and timing strategy. The problem now is that I have already finished all the ManhGMAT books and i am not sure how i can improve my verbal score. Can someone suggest any preparation strategy to improve the score?I need to get the score above 700.Thanks in advance.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 06 Dec 2012
Posts: 15
Concentration: International Business, Finance
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2013, 15:34
By the way, i have only one month left till the first GMAT Exam. Any suggestions so far?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Oct 2012
Posts: 1
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2013, 06:51
Hi there,

As a non native English speaker I want to start with building my English grammar foundation for the sentence correction part.

It seems most popular are the following, but in what sequence?

1)Aristotle HG 3rd Ed

and them possibly 2)Manhattan SC?

I am relatively weak in this area and need to start from scratch before I attempt any questions.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thank you.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Oct 2012
Posts: 68
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2013, 09:21
Hi bb,

I am about to start my GMAT preparation and I am planning to buy MGMAT set and OG 13. For 1st month I am going to cover Quant part and in 2nd Verbal part.

But before that I am thinking to give a GMAT test so that I can analyze myself and target the sections. Could you please suggest the source from where I can download the test or I can give online test.

As everyone I am also targeting 700+.

Would you recommend Kaplan books? If so could you please suggest which book(s) would be useful? As I can see so many books by Kaplan so could not decide.

Overall I would have OG 13, MGMAT Books set and Kaplan.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Jun 2012
Posts: 4
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2013, 00:06
Hi,

I would need some guidance regarding the study plan and books. I will appear for the test at end of March'13.
I am targeting 700+ score.
As of now:
I have completed MGMAT study material
Please suggest-
1. Which other books I should do to achieve the target?
for - Quant
- RC
- SC
- CR
- From where can I practice more questions for aforesaid topics?
2. When Should I start taking the tests and how many tests should I take ?
3. Which tests series (Kaplan/ MGMAT/ or anyother ) would be the best to achieve 700+ score?
4. Any other suggestions or Study plan - i should follow - Keeping in mind - I have couple of months to appear for the tests.

Thanks Much.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Nov 2011
Posts: 2
Location: China
GMAT 1: 490 Q44 V15
GMAT 2: 590 Q48 V24
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2013, 04:31
Quote:
if you don't know the underlying principles that GMAT is testing (such as grammar, arithmetic, etc) there is no use in solving hundreds of questions or taking multiple GMAT tests. This means that if English is not your native language, you should not work on the RC strategies if you can't understand half of the passage - you need to get comfortable reading long passages of text before moving on.


make me impressed
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 Sep 2011
Posts: 7
GPA: 3.6
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2013, 08:51
SahniManish1985 wrote:
Hi,

I would need some guidance regarding the study plan and books. I will appear for the test at end of March'13.
I am targeting 700+ score.
As of now:
I have completed MGMAT study material
Please suggest-
1. Which other books I should do to achieve the target?
for - Quant
- RC
- SC
- CR
- From where can I practice more questions for aforesaid topics?
2. When Should I start taking the tests and how many tests should I take ?
3. Which tests series (Kaplan/ MGMAT/ or anyother ) would be the best to achieve 700+ score?
4. Any other suggestions or Study plan - i should follow - Keeping in mind - I have couple of months to appear for the tests.

Thanks Much.



Manish,
Did you try taking a CAT?If not,then you should take a CAT immediately to establish your current score level and your strengths,weaknesses etc.For the material,MGMAT is pretty good though there are a lot of other factors involved for a 700+ score.Also,you can look at the reviews of all the prep companies(Main Forum) here and make your own decision.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Jan 2013
Posts: 12
Concentration: Strategy, Other
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2013, 08:38
Hey chief,

Quick update:

Been 2 weeks now, started a tutorial program in Madras, India. My question is related to what my plan should look like to maximise the time that I have. After the 1st 2 weeks, (during which time Ive been doing Quant mainly) i've become really paranoid because I feel that i do not have enough time. What questions must I answer to be able to map out a schedule that gives me clarity of what to focus on?

I do not believe that the 1st test (GMAT prep) i took was an accurate measure of my ability. It was the first exam, i had taken in 5 years and quite frankly I just wanted it done with. I finished both sections with 15 minutes remaining on the clock respectively (I scored a 400). Given the time and enough practice it is possible (or so i believe) to ace the quant section. When i started my program, it took my 30 to 45 minutes to solve a question but after revising the concept again; i am able to solve it 4-5 minutes. All this within 2 weeks. So maybe im just disillusioned but I think i can get a 700 easily. My exam is on the 17th of July - approximately 3 months from today.

Your advice would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Vidyuth
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Aug 2012
Posts: 2
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2013, 04:58
Hi,

I took the test last year and scored 600 ( Q41 V31). I plan on taking it again in Aug.
I just went through the 3 month study plan, however, I would like to know, if it'd make sense to do verbal and quant together?
That is, utilizing each month for a different verbal topic ( For eg, Month 1- SC, Month 2- RC and Month 3- CR), and simultaneously doing quant topics over a period of 3 months?

Thanks
Retired Moderator
avatar
Joined: 27 Aug 2012
Posts: 1115
Premium Member
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2013, 10:01
Hi bb,
Hope you're doing well...!

Sent you a PM related to Study plan and GMAT prep.Would you please come up with your expert's feedback...?

Really appreciate your help as always.
_________________

UPDATED : e-GMAT SC Resources-Consolidated || ALL RC Resources-Consolidated || ALL SC Resources-Consolidated || UPDATED : AWA compilations-109 Analysis of Argument Essays || GMAC's IR Prep Tool

Calling all Columbia (CBS) MBA Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020 !!! NEW !!!

GMAT Club guide - OG 11-12-13 || Veritas Blog || Manhattan GMAT Blog


KUDOS please, if you like the post or if it helps :-)

Retired Moderator
avatar
Joined: 27 Aug 2012
Posts: 1115
Premium Member
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2013, 10:16
debayan222 wrote:
Hi bb,
Hope you're doing well...!

Sent you a PM related to Study plan and GMAT prep.Would you please come up with your expert's feedback...?

Really appreciate your help as always.


Hi bb,
Any update on this Sir ? Did you get to see my PM on this?

Eagerly awaiting your reply.
_________________

UPDATED : e-GMAT SC Resources-Consolidated || ALL RC Resources-Consolidated || ALL SC Resources-Consolidated || UPDATED : AWA compilations-109 Analysis of Argument Essays || GMAC's IR Prep Tool

Calling all Columbia (CBS) MBA Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020 !!! NEW !!!

GMAT Club guide - OG 11-12-13 || Veritas Blog || Manhattan GMAT Blog


KUDOS please, if you like the post or if it helps :-)

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 May 2013
Posts: 5
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2013, 12:08
1
Hello boys and girls, this is my first post in the forums and i hope that I'm welcome to ask my silly questions.

My plan is to take the GMAT test in about 3 months, exactly 100 days from now. I have never done it so it is going to be my first and hopefully last. I am 28 years old and been off school for 5 years since i took my bachelor degree (very rusty). My plan for the moment is to study math the first month, verbal second month and for the third month a full repetition by taking different kind of tests. This is basically BB´s study plan.

I got MGMAT Prep books, OG13, Verbal OG and Quant OG.

As you can see my english is quite poor after all these years since i graduated....I have an A in english, believe it or not. I've bought a couple of books and an subscription on The Economist to freshen up the language.

I aim at 550-600, do you guys think its possible if i study 8 hours per week for 3 months?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 May 2013
Posts: 6
Location: India
WE: Information Technology (Manufacturing)
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2013, 11:08
1
Hello Experts,
I am a newbie to GMAT Club and planning to take the GMAT. I have gone through some of the posts here and have a basic question. As I am from India and we have a percentage gradation system in Xth, XIIth, Graduation, Post Graduation. So my question of experts from India, how the GPA is being calculated? (e.g 80 % in Xth Std, 78 % in XIIth Std, 88% in Graduation, 82% in Masters)
Any help is highly appreciated.
Founder
Founder
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 17234
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2013, 11:09
soumodipm wrote:
Hello Experts,
I am a newbie to GMAT Club and planning to take the GMAT. I have gone through some of the posts here and have a basic question. As I am from India and we have a percentage gradation system in Xth, XIIth, Graduation, Post Graduation. So my question of experts from India, how the GPA is being calculated? (e.g 80 % in Xth Std, 78 % in XIIth Std, 88% in Graduation, 82% in Masters)
Any help is highly appreciated.



Many schools take the India GPA. But otherwise, see this: how-to-convert-indian-gpa-percentage-to-us-4-pt-gpa-scale-124249.html
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 May 2013
Posts: 6
Location: India
WE: Information Technology (Manufacturing)
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2013, 11:24
1
While giving the practice tests, I feel easier if I have a rough white sheet & pencil, to make rough calculations/scribbles etc. Is it allowed to use rough white paper/sheet while taking the actual GMAT exam? Does the GMAT officials supply these sheets if required?
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Status: active
Joined: 13 May 2013
Posts: 9
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2013, 18:14
bb, Thanks for the g8 post!

"Note2: This approach of specialized prep takes closer to 2 months for verbal" - Does this add up to 4 months of studying?
_________________

Press Kudos if I was able to help you with questions/solutions/resources :-)

Useful Resources:
FlashCards: manhattangmat[dot]com/pdf/FlashCards_Complete_2009.pdf

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Jun 2013
Posts: 8
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.54
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2013, 10:26
3
I read somewhere that you should not start with OG. So, what should we start off with?
I am a novice to GMAT and have just started preparations. I have taken OG Diagnostic test and got 32 out of 48 in Quants and 33 out of 52 in Verbal. Please suggest.
Thanks in advance.
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep &nbs [#permalink] 10 Jun 2013, 10:26

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  25   26   27   28   29   30   31  ...  42    Next  [ 829 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT
HOT DEALS FOR AUGUST
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
examPAL Full GMAT video course - Save 10%
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.