Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 15:05 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 15:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
Re: Financing Your MBA [#permalink]
at which point would you go for a variable rate loan based off of 1 month LIBOR instead of Prime?

would the spread need to be 2.75%, or maybe 3%???

Prime less 0.25% vs LIBOR + 2.75???

How about

Prime less 0.25% vs LIBOR + 2.5? (I'd assume LIBOR on this).

are we expecting libor and prime to stay around 3% apart for the foreseeable future? or should I just go with prime less 0.25% in either case because it'll most likely be more constant?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
This question may already be answered somewhere, but when is the best time to apply for grad PLUS loans? Is it too early to apply now?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
I had a question regarding the financing option for international students. BTW, after my research on this topic I believe it is about time for international GMAT-clubbers to make a topic only concerning MBA financing for international students - loans, scholarships, fellowships, outside sources, visa issues etc. Obstacles are different and it is not all about what is the best interest rate in current market or what bank is the best lender, although these discussions are much appreciated.

Anyway, to get back to the question. I looked into Kenan-Flagler and really liked the program. Then I glanced at financing options and was happy to hear that it offers no co-signor loans to international students. But to my disappointment, when I downloaded a financial aid brochure I realized that the loans cannot cover living expenses (sigh). So I am guessing that, basically, they expect an Eastern European like me to shell out $29K, which I don't have, each year on top of the loans I would need to get :roll: . Basically, the best option for me seems to be to get a co-signor and hope that I would be allowed to borrow money to cover living expenses.

So my question is, are international students with a US co-signor allowed to borrow for living expenses? I have a relatives in US who might be interested to help out (and seem to be well off) but I am not sure how much of a burden would those loans impose on their credit score...any ideas? Oh and what are exactly fellowship?
Director
Director
Send PM
Baracuda123 wrote:
I had a question regarding the financing option for international students. BTW, after my research on this topic I believe it is about time for international GMAT-clubbers to make a topic only concerning MBA financing for international students - loans, scholarships, fellowships, outside sources, visa issues etc. Obstacles are different and it is not all about what is the best interest rate in current market or what bank is the best lender, although these discussions are much appreciated.

Anyway, to get back to the question. I looked into Kenan-Flagler and really liked the program. Then I glanced at financing options and was happy to hear that it offers no co-signor loans to international students. But to my disappointment, when I downloaded a financial aid brochure I realized that the loans cannot cover living expenses (sigh). So I am guessing that, basically, they expect an Eastern European like me to shell out $29K, which I don't have, each year on top of the loans I would need to get :roll: . Basically, the best option for me seems to be to get a co-signor and hope that I would be allowed to borrow money to cover living expenses.

So my question is, are international students with a US co-signor allowed to borrow for living expenses? I have a relatives in US who might be interested to help out (and seem to be well off) but I am not sure how much of a burden would those loans impose on their credit score...any ideas? Oh and what are exactly fellowship?

eek, not only the 50K cap a year but Prime Rate + 5.00% variable with origination fee of 2%. International students have it rough, I would honestly look for other options...

With a cosigner, you can go through a private lender and receive a loan up to the schools total cost (tuition + living expenses and whatever else they roll into it)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Question to those that have already applied for private loans (and especially those receiving the lowest rates):
when applying, are you inputting your current income information (assuming you're still at your job), rent, etc or are you submitting your expected income (for me, that would be zero, unless I estimate next summer's internship earnings)?

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 107
Send PM
bert384201 wrote:
Question to those that have already applied for private loans (and especially those receiving the lowest rates):
when applying, are you inputting your current income information (assuming you're still at your job), rent, etc or are you submitting your expected income (for me, that would be zero, unless I estimate next summer's internship earnings)?

Thanks!

I had thought you were supposed to say zero, but then the last private lender I spoke with told me to input my 2012 income because that's what this company used to determine eligibility. However, this lender is a private-public partnership only available to CT residents or those going to school in CT (CHESLA) and it's a flat 5.99% rate for anyone who passes the credit check. So, bottom line, not sure if it's a representative guideline.

When I applied on my own using zero income, I was offered loans for Discover and SallieMae and denied at Chase. The rates I was offered weren't great, though. Best advice I can give is to double check with each lender for their policy--I think my situation was really the exception and you don't want to get into a situation where your loan is revoked for misrepresentation. What a headache that'd be!
Director
Director
Send PM
I got the lowest rate possible through SallieMae.

What I did (and what SallieMae told me to do)
1 put total HHLD income for 2012 (w2 totals)
2 put current rent
3 GET A COSIGNER!!!! No matter what your credit is, a cosigner with great credit will put you in a much better place

I went the variable route, and got the best possible rate for the payment plan I selected.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
thanks guys - very helpful.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Well I can say my experience with Sallie Mae was a waste of time. :roll: I applied for a variable rate private loan and their "offer" was a joke - 7% interest rate (their stated range is 2.5-7%, so basically I must be the worst credit out there). I have excellent credit with no debt at all, excellent income (>100k), and a substantial amount of assets. I was literally shocked / insulted to see the interest rate they wanted to charge me.
Director
Director
Send PM
dilbert99 wrote:
Well I can say my experience with Sallie Mae was a waste of time. :roll: I applied for a variable rate private loan and their "offer" was a joke - 7% interest rate (their stated range is 2.5-7%, so basically I must be the worst credit out there). I have excellent credit with no debt at all, excellent income (>100k), and a substantial amount of assets. I was literally shocked / insulted to see the interest rate they wanted to charge me.

wow... that is crazy... Sorry to hear that
Intern
Intern
Send PM
dilbert99 wrote:

Don't feel too bad. I had the exact same experience. 780 credit score, 100k+ income, absolutely zero debt, and was quoted a similar rate. What a joke!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.51
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
I had a question about financial MBAP programs. I know my employers does tuition reimbursement, but the program I am interested in requires that the total tuition of $100k be payed in installments of 25% (basically 25k a semester). I'm not sure who has just 25k sitting out to pay for tuition for a semester, so I am wondering, how do most people pay the tuition for the semester and wait for grades in order to get there employers tuition reimbursement?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
hi can someone tell me loan options available for international students ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q42 V42
WE:Project Management (Insurance)
Send PM
I have filled out a FAFSA application, and am now filling out a separate application for my school. The school application requires that I list any car I own as an asset. Does anyone know the effect this will have on my loan eligibility?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
I am planning for my MBA, but don't have finance,I really appreciate about your government toward you people....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Operations, Other
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GRE 1: Q530 V800
GPA: 3.9
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Have any of the international applicants/admitted folks contacted GLSC regarding a loan w/o co-signer? I didn't get a response from them, though I e-mailed them!

Best
KK
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Can you post still more details pls
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17  ...  19