Last visit was: 03 May 2024, 02:30 It is currently 03 May 2024, 02:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 200 [34]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.86
WE:Analyst (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [9]
Given Kudos: 52
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 538 [5]
Given Kudos: 103
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.81
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 200 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.86
WE:Analyst (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
Re: For years scholars have contrasted slavery in the United States and in [#permalink]
I will try to put in the simplest way because this question is tricky (challenging).

There were simply no precedents in English common law, and separation of church and state barred Protestant clergy from the role that priests assumed in Brazil. This does not mean that English settlers did not use common law to establish its own slavery system. The passage just said that there were no precedents in English common law for settlers to "follow"; therefore, the slavery system established by the English settlers had to be tailored to the settlers’ particular circumstances. This may seem unclear; but at least I try =)

I am also in the same boat as you though. Always get 5/7 or 6/8 for RC passages. I acknowledge that RC is the hardest section to improve in GMAT, but practice makes perfect. Cheer!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 116 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Re: For years scholars have contrasted slavery in the United States and in [#permalink]
Hello experts,
Please explain ques3 in detail. I too have some doubts why D is not correct..? Simply cant point out the clear distinction that makes B better.
Also , please help with the last question on analogy and author agree - Althought I got this one right, I am not convinved by my approach while answering such questions. Any tips/strategies to tackle these question types in RC will be appreciated and really helpful
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Operations, Entrepreneurship
Schools: INSEAD '14
WE:Consulting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
Took 10 mins to crack the 8 questions.

Here is my take on Q3, hope it helps..

3. In the context in which it is found, the phrase “constructed their system of slavery out of whole cloth” (lines 15-16) implies that the system of slavery established by the English settlers was
(A) based on fabrications and lies - "Nothing in the passage suggests this piece of information.
(B) tailored to the settlers’ particular circumstances
(C) intended to serve the needs of a frontier economy - "Nothing in the passage suggests this piece of information.
(D) developed without direct influence from the settlers’ religion or legal system -Refer to the lines - "But the assumption that institutions alone could so powerfully affect the history of two raw and malleable frontier countries seems, on reexamination, untenable."This seems to indicate that the assumptions around ONLY institutions having an impact is untenable. So there were some other reasons too in addition to inflences from the religious/legal systems. Now read the option.
(E) evolved without giving recognition to the slave’s humanity this seems a little far fledged inference
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
GPA: 3.57
WE:Business Development (Retail)
Send PM
Kudos
chechaxo wrote:
Took 10 mins to crack the 8 questions.

Here is my take on Q3, hope it helps..

3. In the context in which it is found, the phrase “constructed their system of slavery out of whole cloth” (lines 15-16) implies that the system of slavery established by the English settlers was
(A) based on fabrications and lies - "Nothing in the passage suggests this piece of information.
(B) tailored to the settlers’ particular circumstances
(C) intended to serve the needs of a frontier economy - "Nothing in the passage suggests this piece of information.
(D) developed without direct influence from the settlers’ religion or legal system -Refer to the lines - "But the assumption that institutions alone could so powerfully affect the history of two raw and malleable frontier countries seems, on reexamination, untenable."This seems to indicate that the assumptions around ONLY institutions having an impact is untenable. So there were some other reasons too in addition to inflences from the religious/legal systems. Now read the option.
(E) evolved without giving recognition to the slave’s humanity this seems a little far fledged inference

I appreciate the examination, but I'm still in doubt. The lines you've quoted as an explanation for D being incorrect come from the next paragraph, in which the context of the author's argument changes. The author is explaining the dominant theory in paragraph one and introduces an objection to that common theory in paragraph two. Question 3 specifically requires us to analyze the phrase within the context in which it is found. Technically, we can't use evidence from paragraph two.

I honestly think the question is suspect: while both B and D would work as correct answers, D seems stronger to me.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Send PM
Took me 11 mins

Got 6/8. Room for improvement obviously!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Sajjad1994

Request your take on question 3. Both B & D seem valid.

Thanks
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 33178 [1]
Given Kudos: 5783
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
JOBS07 wrote:
Sajjad1994

Request your take on question 3. Both B & D seem valid.

Thanks

This expression implies that the English colonists had to create their system of slavery from scratch, without relying on pre-existing legal or religious frameworks. The absence of precedents in English common law and the separation of church and state in Protestantism prevented them from drawing on established institutions. As a result, they had to fashion a system that suited their specific needs and circumstances in the colonies.

Option (D) is incorrect because the phrase "constructed their system of slavery out of whole cloth" implies that the English settlers did not have direct influence from their religion or legal system when creating the system of slavery. In other words, the statement suggests that the English colonists had to invent or create their system without relying on established religious or legal foundations. This doesn't mean there was no influence at all, but rather that they had to fashion the system without direct guidance or precedent from their existing religious or legal institutions.

Option (B) is more accurate interpretation of the phrase, as it captures the idea that the English settlers had to design a system of slavery that suited their specific needs and context in the colonies, considering the absence of established legal and religious frameworks.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6925 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13982 posts