Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 23:00 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 23:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619766 [3]
Given Kudos: 81613
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64978 [3]
Given Kudos: 428
Send PM
Re: GMAT in 15 days - helpless in Quant [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
006 wrote:
Hi Guys

I am retaking the GMAT in 15 days.The first time around I got a score of 580.Needless to say, I was heartbroken. So I got the MGMAT guides to brush up my concepts and retake the exam.I am done with the MGMAT guides, the OG twice and am following Thurdays with Ron for SC (damn he's good). Currently I am doing the Official Verbal and Quant Review for a bit more practice but nothing seems to help me with Quant.
I have taken two tests so far: GMATPrep 1: 680 and MGMAT : 640. I am majorly struggling with Quant and am unable to complete the section.I guess the last 7 questions almost each time because I just never have enough time.What do you guys suggest I should do to improve my Quant.I really need to ace the exam this time around.Please help!!

Think on these lines to figure out why you need to guess on last 7 questions:
Do you read and re-read every Quant question before you are able to fully understand what is given and what is asked? If yes, then concentration is your problem.
Do you follow a long winded approach to every question? Do you often find that the solution gives an easier/logical approach? If yes, then it is a conceptual problem.
Do you get lost in a tough question and lose 5-6 mins before you guess/solve and move on? If yes, then time management is your problem.
Do you stop and stare at the question trying to figure out how to solve it before you start solving it? If yes, then practice is the key.

Depending on the problem you are facing, we can suggest a solution.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
006 wrote:
Hi Guys

I am retaking the GMAT in 15 days.The first time around I got a score of 580.Needless to say, I was heartbroken. So I got the MGMAT guides to brush up my concepts and retake the exam.I am done with the MGMAT guides, the OG twice and am following Thurdays with Ron for SC (damn he's good). Currently I am doing the Official Verbal and Quant Review for a bit more practice but nothing seems to help me with Quant.
I have taken two tests so far: GMATPrep 1: 680 and MGMAT : 640. I am majorly struggling with Quant and am unable to complete the section.I guess the last 7 questions almost each time because I just never have enough time.What do you guys suggest I should do to improve my Quant.I really need to ace the exam this time around.Please help!!

Do you read and re-read every Quant question before you are able to fully understand what is given and what is asked? If yes, then concentration is your problem.
Do you follow a long winded approach to every question? Do you often find that the solution gives an easier/logical approach? If yes, then it is a conceptual problem.
Do you get lost in a tough question and lose 5-6 mins before you guess/solve and move on? If yes, then time management is your problem.
Do you stop and stare at the question trying to figure out how to solve it before you start solving it? If yes, then practice is the key.

Its gotta be the 2nd and 3rd points...long winded approach and losing 5-6 mins in a question and then still having to guess and not getting it right..
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64978 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
006 wrote:
006 wrote:
Hi Guys

Its gotta be the 2nd and 3rd points...long winded approach and losing 5-6 mins in a question and then still having to guess and not getting it right..

GMAT does not test your Math skills; it tests your logic. We know that we don't need to do long calculations, make equations and solve them simultaneously etc in our day-to-day work. What we need to do is given certain data, deduce things of interest out of it, use our reasoning skills to infer from the data etc. GMAT does just that - test your reasoning skills. Obviously it needs a framework to test reasoning skills and that framework is provided by Math and English. So what the Quant questions expect from you is not exceptional Math abilities but strong reasoning ability. Most GMAT questions can be solved orally in a few secs. Even the hard ones can be solved orally though you might have to put an extra minute to figure out the logic. So you know that if you understand the topics conceptually, you don't need to use a lot of Math to solve GMAT questions. Look for alternative approaches. I understand that the switch might be hard to make in 10-15 days. Nevertheless, if you use conceptual solutions, you will save a ton of time.

Also, do not give more than 3 mins to any question. If you are unable to solve it in that time, chances are you will not be able to solve it in another 1 min. Even if you are able to solve it given another minute, it will still not be worth it because you will not be able to solve another question since you would have used up its time. The reason I say 3 mins and not 2 is that there will be some questions you will be able to answer in a few secs so you will have some extra time leftover. Not many people would say this but know when to quit on a question. Read this: https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2010/10 ... for-field/
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1100 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 520 Q35 V26
GMAT 2: 670 Q48 V34
Send PM
I found the GmatClub tests very helpful. After completing them, I was able to quickly approach most questions without wasting too much time. I also felt gutted the first time I took the gmat. I wish I used the Gmatclub tests earlier. They cover everything.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
006 wrote:

GMAT does not test your Math skills; it tests your logic. We know that we don't need to do long calculations, make equations and solve them simultaneously etc in our day-to-day work. What we need to do is given certain data, deduce things of interest out of it, use our reasoning skills to infer from the data etc. GMAT does just that - test your reasoning skills. Obviously it needs a framework to test reasoning skills and that framework is provided by Math and English. So what the Quant questions expect from you is not exceptional Math abilities but strong reasoning ability. Most GMAT questions can be solved orally in a few secs. Even the hard ones can be solved orally though you might have to put an extra minute to figure out the logic. So you know that if you understand the topics conceptually, you don't need to use a lot of Math to solve GMAT questions. Look for alternative approaches. I understand that the switch might be hard to make in 10-15 days. Nevertheless, if you use conceptual solutions, you will save a ton of time.

Also, do not give more than 3 mins to any question. If you are unable to solve it in that time, chances are you will not be able to solve it in another 1 min. Even if you are able to solve it given another minute, it will still not be worth it because you will not be able to solve another question since you would have used up its time. The reason I say 3 mins and not 2 is that there will be some questions you will be able to answer in a few secs so you will have some extra time leftover. Not many people would say this but know when to quit on a question. Read this: https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2010/10 ... for-field/

Thanks a lot for the tip karishma...will try to implement it in the next test i take..Do u think maybe revising all the concepts once more may help since they'll be on my fingertrips and will help boost my confidence??....Also for practice..what additional materials should I use?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
NeverSurrender wrote:
I found the GmatClub tests very helpful. After completing them, I was able to quickly approach most questions without wasting too much time. I also felt gutted the first time I took the gmat. I wish I used the Gmatclub tests earlier. They cover everything.

Thanks a lot for that..Will get on the tests once i'm done with OG quant and verbal
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64978 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
006 wrote:
Thanks a lot for the tip karishma...will try to implement it in the next test i take..Do u think maybe revising all the concepts once more may help since they'll be on my fingertrips and will help boost my confidence??....Also for practice..what additional materials should I use?

Sure but don't just read through the concepts. You really need to understand them. Check out the posts on our blog to understand what I mean by that: https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/
Ron often tackles Quant concepts in 'Ron Point', Brian often takes up strategies in 'GMAT Tip of the Week' and I discuss difficult concepts in 'Quarter Wit Quarter Wisdom'.

Also, there is a plethora of practice material at your disposal e.g. our course books provide a ton of questions, we have topic based assignments for you online and we have 15 practice tests (5 of them are brand new and give you a very good idea about the score you can expect in the current GMAT pattern).

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Quantitative Questions Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts