Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 09:01 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 09:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q51 V34
GPA: 3.5
WE:Account Management (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.9
WE:Asset Management (Real Estate)
Send PM
Re: Sloan (MIT) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink]
Guys, in the MIT application site, they provided Upload options for both essay 1 and 2, but only a text box for the optional essay where they invite us to share with them anything about us, in any format.

How do I upload a file for the optional essay? I don't see the option. Please advise if you know. Thank you!
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 247 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
WE:Consulting (Education)
Send PM
TheEntrepreneur wrote:
Guys, in the MIT application site, they provided Upload options for both essay 1 and 2, but only a text box for the optional essay where they invite us to share with them anything about us, in any format.

How do I upload a file for the optional essay? I don't see the option. Please advise if you know. Thank you!
You'll need to post it on some server somewhere and include a link.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
TheEntrepreneur wrote:

I think it is best to use a service that they can view/play the file immediately when they click a link you provide. Examples would be YouTube, slideshare, or soundcloud.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
WE:Information Technology (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Guys, for the optional question, I remember reading somewhere that, if we choose to do a video, the guideline length is 1 minute. But for the life of me, I can't seem to find this particular restriction in the website or in the application instructions. Could someone clarify if this 1 minute restriction is indeed the case?
VP
VP
Send PM
randomwalk wrote:
Guys, for the optional question, I remember reading somewhere that, if we choose to do a video, the guideline length is 1 minute. But for the life of me, I can't seem to find this particular restriction in the website or in the application instructions. Could someone clarify if this 1 minute restriction is indeed the case?

Haven't heard directly from the adcom. I have seen it here, though.
Send PM
randomwalk wrote:
Direct quote from adcom on a chat: "The supplemental has no restrictions but please keep in mind the reader's time."

A minute might be enough, depending what you're trying to do, but it also sounds like it might get a little rushed. By contrast, NYU has a 5-minute limit if a video is used for the Personal Expression and if you watch any of those, you will realize that 5 minutes is waaaay too long.

EssaySnark
Intern
Intern
Send PM
randomwalk wrote:

1 Minute was last year's guideline. This year the guidelines seem less strict. I would say in that case the guideline should be the consideration of the viewer's time, so the longer you make it, the more you should make sure every second is necessary and interesting.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
WE:Information Technology (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Thanks jumsum, esnark, dab. I feel having no time limit is better. This gave me more reasons to strongly consider a video essay. Execution will be the key though. I have never done this before.
VP
VP
Send PM
jumsumtak wrote:
dukealum7 wrote:
Anyone have experience with class visits and the Ambassadors program (https://mitsloan.mit.edu/mba/admissions/admission-events/ambassadors-program)? I'm visiting this fall, and my two priorities are talking to students and sitting in on a class. The Ambassadors program sounds perfect for facilitating this, but it sounds like they only run it on Mondays and Thursdays. Unfortunately, I plan to stop by on a Tuesday or Wednesday due to work committments -- is the Ambassadors program something special that's worth changing my schedule for, or is it just a convenient way to lump multiple events together (class, lunch, info session) that I could recreate on a Tuesday/Wednesday?

According to here: (https://mitsloan.mit.edu/mba/admissions/admission-events/visit-mit-sloan/) , you can drop in a class any time as long as you follow proper etiquette.

The program runs 'through' Monday to Thursday. So you should be fine.

I know their website states class visits are only offered on Monday 'and' Thursday. That is, I think, different from the Ambassador's program. You can always call and check with the adcom for your intended date of travel. Also, the registration for Ambassador's program will start soon (pretty certain about that), so alternatively, you can wait for an email.

You can also check this post or this post

Registrations are now open.

https://mitsloan.mit.edu/mba/admissions/ ... s-program/

P.S: it is Monday 'through' Thursday
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Do we need to send the official gmat score to the school before submitting apps? Or should we wait until we're admitted?
Own Kudos [?]: 247 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
TheEntrepreneur wrote:
Do we need to send the official gmat score to the school before submitting apps? Or should we wait until we're admitted?

From their website:
MIT wrote:
We require that the official GMAT or GRE scores be sent to us by the application deadline.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks Snark.

Just sent a report to Sloan from mba site. It says it'd take up to 3 weeks for it to be reported.... Why so slow? Would Sloan be okay with late score report since I self-reported my stuff in the apps?

Also, does anyone know any reliable hassle free server services where we can host a PDF link? Does dropbox work?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
just for information,

Originally posted by murakip2 on 05 Sep 2013, 11:58.
Last edited by murakip2 on 05 Sep 2013, 12:55, edited 1 time in total.
Send PM
murakip2 wrote:
is it possible to evaluate my chance for SLOAN? Because my gmat is not well and I am confused.

GMAT:600
international
GPA (undergrad) 3.60 (undergrad business management and minor programme in engineering school)
GPA (PHD) 3.75 (All but dissertation)
8 years experiment in a financial regulation agency
national representative of an international organization (such as financial stability board) about financial services.
letter of recommendation by one of the wealthiest person/entrepreneur of the country.
Hey murakip2 - the adcom (MIT and elsewhere) always look at a profile in total, and the GMAT is just one datapoint. Your GMAT is well below the average but you're an international candidate (we can tell because of how you spelled "programme" :wink: ) and if the low GMAT is due to low verbal, then maybe (a very firm "maybe") you're OK. It really depends. It's hard to say without knowing a lot more - which is probably beyond scope than we can do here in the MIT applicants' thread.

One comment though: It sounds like you may be about to make a classic mistake: Letters of recommendation should be from people who KNOW YOU WELL - not people who are famous or important. If you have someone who both knows you well, and happens to be famous, no problem - but you need to go with those who can actually write in detail about your work abilities, achievements, and contributions. It's not clear from your post in what context you worked with this wealthy entrepreneur person but we would caution you about choosing someone who has status just because of the status.

Not sure if this helps at all...?

You definitely have a nontraditional background and there are both pluses and minuses to that - again, more than we should go into here since it's personal to you and we don't want to hijack this MIT thread. MIT looks for all kinds of things and it's clear you have a lot to offer so you should absolutely go for it!! But the GMAT is indeed low and it's tough to get in with a lower score - not impossible, but not easy either.

EssaySnark
BSchool Forum Moderator
Affiliations: SPG Platinum, Southwest A-List
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.56
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
TheEntrepreneur wrote:
Thanks Snark.

Just sent a report to Sloan from mba site. It says it'd take up to 3 weeks for it to be reported.... Why so slow? Would Sloan be okay with late score report since I self-reported my stuff in the apps?

Also, does anyone know any reliable hassle free server services where we can host a PDF link? Does dropbox work?

Per MIT's website: We require that the official GMAT/GRE test scores are sent to us by the application deadline. We understand that sometimes it takes 1-2 weeks for the test centers to release the scores. Therefore, it is acceptable if we receive the scores shortly after the application deadline.

Dropbox works - I'm using it to host my PDF!
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: ?
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 10-09-2013
GPA: 3.3
WE:Analyst (Investment Banking)
Send PM
I hope I get to R1 in time !!!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
Send PM
randomwalk wrote:
Thanks jumsum, esnark, dab. I feel having no time limit is better. This gave me more reasons to strongly consider a video essay. Execution will be the key though. I have never done this before.

And remember, no Flash. The AdCom looks at apps on their iPads.

Also, I remember last year, some people accidently set their youtube videos to not play on mobile devices. So, make sure not to do that too.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  71   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts