Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 05:17 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 05:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6049 [0]
Given Kudos: 543
Send PM
Director
Director
Status:My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [1]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72919 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Kaplan Vs MGMAT test [#permalink]
Expert Reply
This one is recent: mgmat-cat-vs-kaplan-cat-150348.html?fl=similar

However, there were some changes and I believe continuous tweaking is going on based on what members have reported. I don't think it will be super useful/precise. GMAT Prep is really the only way for now.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 158 [1]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 530 Q37 V25
GMAT 2: 660 Q49 V32
GPA: 3.32
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
fozzzy wrote:
Can people share their experiences that have taken both Kaplan and MGMAT tests

From what I've heard the quant on kaplan is easier compared to MGMAT

Whereas, the verbal portion is tougher...

Is this true?

Can someone comment on the questions SC,CR,RC etc of kaplan / MGMAT and how was the quant section...

Hello Fozzzy,

I took my GMAT at the end of August 2013 and I used Both Kaplan tests and MGMAT tests. It is true that the quants in Kaptest are way too easy when compared to the Original.
Also I seemed to realize that the algorithm used by Kaptest has larger variation from the original test or gmat prep than the MGMAT.Hence, in Kaptest, you tend to have an inflated to score. (I score close to 700 & once got 720 whereas in MGMAT I got 670. Prep score is 650) MGMAT quants really test you with some tough problems. MGMAT verbal questions are good, on par with the GMAT.

Nevertheless, Kaplan book is very good for the Verbal section especially CR & RC. The methodology is good in Verbal. Also Kaplan book got few examples & problems for Integrated Reasoning.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 394 [1]
Given Kudos: 155
GMAT 1: 730 Q52 V37
Send PM
Kudos
fozzzy wrote:

Is this true?

Can someone comment on the questions SC,CR,RC etc of kaplan / MGMAT and how was the quant section...

Hi Fozzzy,

I've taken the free MGMAT and Kaplans recently. I've attached my scores below - perhaps you can make some deductions from it.

In general, I feel like my Kaplan scores (the one out of 800) are inflated. However, I can't advise if one is easier than the other, but I found both Kaplan and MGMAT to be great practice exams to take. My only issue with Kaplan revolves around how you can't move the calculator in IR. For MGMAT my issues were that I couldn't use the keyboard for the calculator and I had to always select the radio button (as opposed to the text/line). There were some other nuisance with the MGMAT user interface, but out of all the different CATs I've taken, these two were by far the best (not counting GMATPrep, of course). The next best CAT was The Economist, but perhaps their verbal was easier (hence my better score?) and they lacked AWA and IR. I'd stay away from Veritas' IR section completely, but their Quant/Verbal were okay. GMAT Pill's free exam was terrible - stay away from that one.

14-Sep kaplan 750 Q51 V33
17-Sep mgmat 690 Q48 V36
21-Sep economist 730 Q50 V41
24-Sep kaplan 720 Q51 V34
28-Sep gmat pill 740 Q49 V42
28-Sep gmat prep1 700 Q50 V34
29-Sep kaplan 710 Q50 V38
1-Oct veritas 690 Q50 V35
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 158 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 530 Q37 V25
GMAT 2: 660 Q49 V32
GPA: 3.32
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Send PM
farful wrote:
fozzzy wrote:

Is this true?

Hi Fozzzy,

I've taken the free MGMAT and Kaplans recently. I've attached my scores below - perhaps you can make some deductions from it.

In general, I feel like my Kaplan scores (the one out of 800) are inflated. However, I can't advise if one is easier than the other, but I found both Kaplan and MGMAT to be great practice exams to take. My only issue with Kaplan revolves around how you can't move the calculator in IR. For MGMAT my issues were that I couldn't use the keyboard for the calculator and I had to always select the radio button (as opposed to the text/line). There were some other nuisance with the MGMAT user interface, but out of all the different CATs I've taken, these two were by far the best (not counting GMATPrep, of course). The next best CAT was The Economist, but perhaps their verbal was easier (hence my better score?) and they lacked AWA and IR. I'd stay away from Veritas' IR section completely, but their Quant/Verbal were okay. GMAT Pill's free exam was terrible - stay away from that one.

14-Sep kaplan 750 Q51 V33
17-Sep mgmat 690 Q48 V36
21-Sep economist 730 Q50 V41
24-Sep kaplan 720 Q51 V34
28-Sep gmat pill 740 Q49 V42
28-Sep gmat prep1 700 Q50 V34
29-Sep kaplan 710 Q50 V38
1-Oct veritas 690 Q50 V35

Hi Farful,

The economist gives free test? Never knew this. Could you breif me about your experience with the Economist Free test?

Cheers
Qoofi
Director
Director
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 394 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
GMAT 1: 730 Q52 V37
Send PM
Qoofi wrote:

Hi Farful,

The economist gives free test? Never knew this. Could you breif me about your experience with the Economist Free test?

Cheers
Qoofi

Yeah, you can just go to https://gmat.economist.com/ and sign up. You'll get a free 7-day trial with them plus a free test, which you can take well past the 7-day trial.

I thought the test was good. I was a bummed that they didn't have an AWA or an IR section, but the quant and verbal seemed fine. They may have both been a tad on the easy side, but it's hard for me to tell (I'm basing this on the fact that I finished quant way earlier than I normally do and that my verbal score seems to be higher than normal).

I really liked their review user interface that after the exam. It's the best one out of the tests I've taken. I liked how everything is on one page. Most exams you have to do a lot of back and forth reviewing the problems you got wrong. You can just click on a problem and it'll expand and show the problem below. Then they'll give their explanation of that problem on the side. Then you can click on each answer choice to see the explanation behind why that answer choice was correct or incorrect. Picture is worth a thousand words: https://i.imgur.com/ChggjOu.png I also liked how they highlighted the times for ones where you took too long.

Edit: Oh yeah, another tiny quick complaint. I didn't finish the verbal in time and left the last question unanswered. Now, unfortunately, this last question doesn't appear on the review :(
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6049 [1]
Send PM