Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 12:12 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 12:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V45
GPA: 3.94
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V39
GPA: 3.63
WE:Analyst (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Re: Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink]
Did my interview in Mumbai. The interviewer was Sarah Lucas. The questions were entirely off the resume. Made me narrate my experiences in my startup, consulting firm, VC firm and in my extra-curricular activities. Was very conversational and chilled out. Think I did well but tough to gauge in these interviews which are hard to do badly.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
nikkiikkio wrote:
grit wrote:
i have been interviewed and now spend most of my waking hours dissecting every single statement i made and how it could have been perceived as arrogant/ignorant/idiotic/random/OTT.

Haha, yeah quite a few friends of mine have said the same thing. What was your experience like? Any oddball questions or things that threw you off?

similar to bingo13 above - almost completely off the resume! my interviewer did try to question me about my 'motivations' etc. near the end, but it wasn't intense, more conversational.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [2]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
Kudos
grit wrote:
nikkiikkio wrote:
grit wrote:
i have been interviewed and now spend most of my waking hours dissecting every single statement i made and how it could have been perceived as arrogant/ignorant/idiotic/random/OTT.

Haha, yeah quite a few friends of mine have said the same thing. What was your experience like? Any oddball questions or things that threw you off?

similar to bingo13 above - almost completely off the resume! my interviewer did try to question me about my 'motivations' etc. near the end, but it wasn't intense, more conversational.

same here. My interview was very conversational, and mostly came from the resume. The questions i got asked were:

- Talk me through your experiences at university
- experience at work
- asked a few questions regarding my work stories, to understand them better
- what would happen if you don't go to an mba/where would your current career path take you?
- what type of companies would you want to work for after your mba
- do you plan on returning to your home country?
- at the end, she asked me if there was anything else i wanted to add

Good luck to those who are preparing for interviews!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q42 V48
GPA: 3.91
Send PM
Did anyone send thank you notes to their interviewers? I found one email address, but not the second interviewers.

The pamphlet the handed me afterwards said that thank you notes are (truly) not necessary, but I don't want to be rude if everyone else sends thank you notes/emails.

What's the consensus here? Follow the directions to a T or send a brief thank-you note? If you sent a note, did you send it (via email) to the generic HBS admissions box or the interviewer's personal HBS email? Did you send a card via mail instead?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
WE:Asset Management (Health Care)
Send PM
sp67 wrote:
Did anyone send thank you notes to their interviewers? I found one email address, but not the second interviewers.

The pamphlet the handed me afterwards said that thank you notes are (truly) not necessary, but I don't want to be rude if everyone else sends thank you notes/emails.

What's the consensus here? Follow the directions to a T or send a brief thank-you note? If you sent a note, did you send it (via email) to the generic HBS admissions box or the interviewer's personal HBS email? Did you send a card via mail instead?

I didn't send a thank-you note. From my limited interactions with HBS, I feel like they mean what they say. If they say thank-you notes are "truly" not necessary, then it probably means they don't want 1000 emails clogging up various adcom members' inboxes. Esp now that they give us the flexibility to write a post-interview reflection, I think anything that I would've wanted to say in an thank-you note could be captured in that format.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
ltg1671 wrote:
sp67 wrote:

I didn't send a thank-you note. From my limited interactions with HBS, I feel like they mean what they say. If they say thank-you notes are "truly" not necessary, then it probably means they don't want 1000 emails clogging up various adcom members' inboxes. Esp now that they give us the flexibility to write a post-interview reflection, I think anything that I would've wanted to say in an thank-you note could be captured in that format.

I second this.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
FROM HBS Admissions Blog: Class Visits
I wish we had classes every day of the year – and evenings too – because there is a great demand from visitors who want to see the case method in action. That makes us happy. But, back to reality:

We still have some class visit slots available for anyone who wants to visit in October (through the 23rd). My hope is that these will be for folks thinking about Round 2 applications.

Round 1 applicants who are invited to interview will have many options for setting up a class visit and information will be included in interview invitations – there is no need for these applicants to register for a class visit before then. So I’m asking Round 1 applicants to please wait.

For Round 2 applicants, there are going to be 9 days of class visits available starting November 12th through December 5th, these slots will be available for registration on our website later this week. Our students will be in final exams, Winter Break, and FIELD throughout December and January. We will continue to offer staff led tours and information sessions through December and January (other than during the two week “Winter Break” when the school is closed). I know it’s not ideal to make a big trip here and not be able to see a class, but it’s still a great way to get a sense of the campus and hear about the admissions process.

Class visits will resume in early February for the Spring Semester and will be available for registration in early January. Similar to Round 1, our Round 2 interviewing applicants will have many opportunities to visit a class while on campus for their interview in February.

And, yes, as you anticipated, this gives me yet another chance to plug the video, which shows real footage inside a first-year classroom plus faculty and student perspectives.

Back to Round 1 applications!
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Send PM
FROM HBS Admissions Blog: Round One Interview Invitations
If it's helpful, our plan is to send out some interview invitations at NOON today, Boston time. Via email. Nothing until noon.

And we'll send more on October 16.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Send PM
FROM HBS Admissions Blog: Another Round 1 Update
At noon Boston time we'll be sending out some more interview invitations via email. Detailed instructions for sign-ups will be included.

There will also be some Further Consideration decisions. This means that we are unable to invite you to interview now, but wish to keep your application under consideration. In Round 2, we'll be either inviting you to interview - and you'll move along on the Round 2 timetable - or releasing you. I know this prolongs the wait for a decision. There will be information in the Further Consideration decision letter about a contact person here in Dillon to answer questions and keep you informed. Of course, you may decline to stay in the process and withdraw your application at any time.

We'll also be sending Deny decisions to the candidates who are not going to move forward in the process. This is our attempt to give you clarity and closure in time to make other plans.

As I always say, I hope this is helpful.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
FROM HBS Admissions Blog: What's the Difference Between "Waitlist" and "Further Consideration?"
I think there's some confusion out there about these categories so here's an attempt at getting inside our glossary of terms:

• Further Consideration (FC): We've reviewed your written application and have decided to neither move you forward to interview nor deny at this time. One reason is that we have a finite number of interview spots we can offer and still keep to our promised December 11 notification date. The other is that we can't see Round 2 applications before we need to make final Round 1 decisions - December 11 is the Round 1 notification date and the Round 2 application deadline is January 6. So we'd like to hold on to you and further consider your application in Round 2. We anticipate being able to interview a meaningful number of those FCs in February/March. Once in the interview group, these candidates have the same chances of being admitted as any other interviewee - somewhere between 50% and 60%.
    • Waitlist: No one is on the waitlist at this moment. After all interviews in Round 1 are completed, on December 11 candidates (all of whom have been interviewed) will receive one of the following three decisions: “Yes, No or Waitlist. Waitlisters will receive periodic updates and be able to contact a designated Dillon staff member. We know it's not what you planned for, but the waitlist is an active category and every year we admit in the range of 50-75 waitlisters into the class.

So...the lingo we use is FC and Waitlist. We don't use the term Deferred - adding another term would just confuse us!

It is highly unlikely that a candidate would be FC’d in Round 1, interviewed in Round 2, and then placed on the Waitlist in Round 2. Sort of an Endless Application Season. Yikes.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.78
WE:Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
For those who has submitted your applications to HBS, may I ask what you wrote about in your essays?
I am having hard time figuring out what to write...Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [2]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V44
WE:Other (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Kudos
slee26 wrote:
For those who has submitted your applications to HBS, may I ask what you wrote about in your essays?

I really think that everyone's essay should be different, there's no one 'thing' that people should write about. I'd suggesting thinking about who you are as a person, focusing on what made you that way, and then writing about some aspect of that. I wrote about several specific experiences that helped shape me into the person I am today.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
boulderbiker wrote:
slee26 wrote:

I really think that everyone's essay should be different, there's no one 'thing' that people should write about. I'd suggesting thinking about who you are as a person, focusing on what made you that way, and then writing about some aspect of that. I wrote about several specific experiences that helped shape me into the person I am today.

Thanks for this Boulderbiker. If I may ask, how many words did you write in your essay altogether?

It will be well appreciated if anyone who was invited for interview by Harvard can chip in a word or two into this.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Kudos
I wrote a long Essay, it was 1700 words and was invited. I also wrote about what was important to me, how i got there and where I wanted to go....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
RSAproud wrote:
I wrote a long Essay, it was 1700 words and was invited. I also wrote about what was important to me, how i got there and where I wanted to go....

Thank you so much for your response. I finished my first draft yesterday and I hit 1,230 words. I freaked out because I set a target of 700 - 800 words. I guess I was not as shallow as I thought.

Did you talk about why Harvard?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
knightofdelta wrote:
RSAproud wrote:

Thank you so much for your response. I finished my first draft yesterday and I hit 1,230 words. I freaked out because I set a target of 700 - 800 words. I guess I was not as shallow as I thought.

Did you talk about why Harvard?

Yes i basically took a few normal essay topics and put it together.. What makes you tick, why an mba and why now, why Harvard, what I will contribute....

I was nervous about the length but obviously it seemed fine. I'm also no rockstar candidate.. I am from Africa, no major extra curriculars, average marks, average GMAT of 730 and normal job progression. I needed the Essay to stand out....
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
GPA: 4
Send PM
knightofdelta wrote:
boulderbiker wrote:
slee26 wrote:

Thanks for this Boulderbiker. If I may ask, how many words did you write in your essay altogether?

It will be well appreciated if anyone who was invited for interview by Harvard can chip in a word or two into this.

I wrote less than 800 words and got an invite. I basically took all of the best parts from essays of other schools. I therefore recommend to save the HBS essay for last.
Interview in one week, wish me luck :-D
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  18   19   20   21   22   23   24  ...  55   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts