Last visit was: 05 Jun 2024, 07:47 It is currently 05 Jun 2024, 07:47
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
   1  ...  3   4   5   6   7  ...  31   
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 610 Q44 V32
GMAT 2: 620 Q47 V28
GMAT 3: 710 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.47
WE:Analyst (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [3]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
Re: Stern (NYU) Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
Received an invitation to interview at 7:58 pm EST today!! So excited as this is my first interview invitation :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
Send PM
Any Indians received invites in the latest batch of invites sent out? :roll:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
Send PM
Congrats to everyone who got their invites!

Any international invites yet?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V42
Send PM
xyzzy wrote:

Same question - any international invites yet?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
ekv2 wrote:
cpace13 wrote:
Just got an interview invite too

Congrats cpace13! Your profile looks very similar to mine (at least based on GMAT and GPA stats). Can you briefly share your WE, extracurriculars, and nationality?
I might get some more hope if you tell me that you are not from consulting or investment banking :)

Thank you! I currently work in finance for a media company. I'm a white female. I've volunteered a bit in schools/tutoring but nothing extensive. Good luck!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
Send PM
I applied in Round 1 and made a very stupid mistake. I overlooked below format requirements from Stern:

•All written essays must be typed and submitted using the standard U.S. 8 1/2” x 11” format, double-spaced, in 12-point font.
•Label the top of each essay with the following: Name, Date of Birth (month, day, year), Essay Number and Page Number (e.g.: Joe Applicant, January 1, 1983, Essay 1, Page 1).

Does anyone know is it possible for me to send an updated version of essays at this stage? And for those who are currently applying, please do PAY ATTENTION to the above requirements... T-T
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
I would email admchair@stern.nyu.edu and see what they say (when I had questions about the app and essays before I submitted it I was directed to email that address.
If they say you can't change it then I would offer some hope. I went to an admissions event in Washington, D.C. And the director of admissions handed out a sample application that had misspellings and mistakes. After we went through it she said they would still extend an interview because the candidate had a great background and they wanted to see in person if they were sloppy or whatever.

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 315 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Send PM
I went to Stern undergrad, absolutely hated the culture (cut throat and the opposite of collaborative) and administration...and the recruiting was considerably worse than I expected. Hopefully the MBA program is better, but make sure you research it well before matriculating.

Undergrad and grad building were old and decrepit when I went, and everything was extremely cramped. They've since re-done the undergrad school (it's still all underground with no lighting), not sure about the grad school. Undergrad students take classes in the mba school building, and can take mba classes, so I feel like this will definitely ruin school spirit for you guys.

I graduated during the financial recession years. Summer after junior year I was able to find a job that started immediately in September, I only needed 16 more credits, so I asked NYU Stern if I could take the classes at night, and start working - since the employment situation was horrific at that point. They were completely unwilling to work with me.

For undergrad, they basically used only GPA and SAT to let people in, so you got stuck with extremely one-dimensional people with poor social skills (usually people who couldn't get into Ivies because of not being well-rounded). The school was extremely ethnically segregated, and there was zero school spirit (due to lack of sports, campus, and "Stern curve" that turned everyone against each other). Cheating was rampant.

Most people think being in New York gives you an advantage in recruiting, but for undergrad at-least it really didn't....you were just expected to do more than other schools, but they were going to take the same amount of sternies regadless (you needed to do during the school year internships, go to a ton more speaker events, etc...when our peers outside of NY could get jobs without doing all of that).

I don't really know anyone who went to Stern for grad school, but most people who went undergrad left with a negative opinion (which is why it was getting killed in the ranking despite its stats a few year ago, not sure where they are at now). It's certainly a good school, don't get me wrong, but if you have the GMAT/GPA to get in, I'd recommend going to a competitor ranked around the same, all else being equal.

Originally posted by mgg234 on 15 Nov 2013, 12:37.
Last edited by mgg234 on 15 Nov 2013, 22:44, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE:Securities Sales and Trading (Investment Banking)
Send PM
In for R2. Submitted time 11:59:48 PM EST
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
mgh234 wrote:
I went to Stern undergrad, absolutely hated the culture (cut throat and the opposite of collaborative) and administration...and the recruiting was considerably worse than I expected. Hopefully the MBA program is better, but make sure you research it well before matriculating.

Undergrad and grad building were old and decrepit when I went, and everything was extremely cramped. They've since re-done the undergrad school (it's still all underground with no lighting), not sure about the grad school. Undergrad students take classes in the mba school building, and can take mba classes, so I feel like this will definitely ruin school spirit for you guys.

I graduated during the financial recession years. Summer after junior year I was able to find a job that started immediately in September, I only needed 16 more credits, so I asked NYU Stern if I could take the classes at night, and start working - since the employment situation was horrific at that point. They were completely unwilling to work with me.

For undergrad, they basically used only GPA and SAT to let people in, so you got stuck with extremely one-dimensional people with poor social skills (usually people who couldn't get into Ivies because of not being well-rounded). The school was extremely ethnically segregated, and there was zero school spirit (due to lack of sports, campus, and "Stern curve" that turned everyone against each other). Cheating was rampant.

Most people think being in New York gives you an advantage in recruiting, but for undergrad at-least it really didn't....you were just expected to do more than other schools, but they were going to take the same amount of sternies regadless (you needed to do during the school year internships, go to a ton more speaker events, etc...when our peers outside of NY could get jobs without doing all of that).

I don't really know anyone who went to Stern for grad school, but most people who went undergrad left with a negative opinion (which is why it was getting killed in the ranking despite its stats a few year ago, not sure where they are at now). It's certainly a good school, don't get me wrong, but if you have the GMAT/GPA to get in, I'd recommend going to a competitor ranked around the same, all else being equal.

Interesting insights. All I've read so far is that for the business school Stern is supposed too be much more collaborative and less cut throat than Columbia. This must have been discussed in great length somewhere already. If anyone has more insights on this or can share a link to a different forum I'd appreciate it.
Also in for Round 2!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE:Securities Sales and Trading (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
cp4321 wrote:
mgh234 wrote:

Interesting insights. All I've read so far is that for the business school Stern is supposed too be much more collaborative and less cut throat than Columbia. This must have been discussed in great length somewhere already. If anyone has more insights on this or can share a link to a different forum I'd appreciate it.
Also in for Round 2!

I second that. Atleast that what I have heard about Stern over columbia
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 315 [1]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Send PM
Kudos
cp4321 wrote:
mgh234 wrote:

Also in for Round 2!

It's certainly possible that the grad school is different than undergrad. I got rejected from Columbia after interview...but honestly I wasn't feeling that school either. Very possible that both aren't very collaborative. I think also it might just be in general how people are who go into finance (part of the reason I'm leaving finance). Anyways, good luck everyone, just figured I'd give my insight so everyone can make informed decisions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
Send PM
Diver wrote:
xyzzy wrote:

None yet? :(
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Schools: Cox '16 (M$)
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.83
Send PM
divsi wrote:
Diver wrote:
xyzzy wrote:

None yet? :(

Same question ! I think only 2 I have seen in this forum ...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.3
WE:Securities Sales and Trading (Other)
Send PM
Submitted on Friday and Essay 2 got delivered today! In for R2, also received an email today with a password and link to check for application status!

Good Luck everyone!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Still haven't heard from my round 1 application but I got a Stern brochure in the mail today. It would be cruel and unusual punishment to send a brochure and then get dinged, right???
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
WE:Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
rajiv1984 wrote:
Submitted on Friday and Essay 2 got delivered today! In for R2, also received an email today with a password and link to check for application status!

Good Luck everyone!

Same here - submitted Friday and my Essay 2 got delivered Monday. Got the notification same-day.

Good luck to you, and everyone else as well! :)
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  3   4   5   6   7  ...  31   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6954 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts