Last visit was: 02 May 2024, 09:14 It is currently 02 May 2024, 09:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 229 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE:Corporate Finance (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 720 Q46 V42
Send PM
Re: Kelley MBA vs Mcdonough ( Georgetown ) MBA [#permalink]
Hi,

I think when you compare these two programs, both have similar outcomes for employment in the consulting function both in percent of class and salary. Also, very similar in technology industry hire %s.

Georgetown, of course puts you on the Atlantic coast, which will expose you to a different geography than Indiana. Therefore, where do you want to go post-mba? Have you visited both schools? Georgetown is right in the capital of the nation. Indiana... not so much. So do you prefer rural or metropolitan? Its going to be a lifestyle choice more than anything I think.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [2]
Given Kudos: 205
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 580 Q37 V32
GMAT 2: 570 Q36 V32
GMAT 3: 680 Q44 V40
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
boxer317 wrote:
Hi,

I am in Indian software engineer and I intend to do an MBA in US. I have been admitted to full-time MBA program at Kelley School of Business and at Mcdonough School of Business - Georgetown.
I have received generous scholarships from both.

Now, I am confused as to which school should I join. I intend to work in the field of IT consultancy in US after MBA. I have talked to alumni of both the schools and I still cannot decide on one. Can you give me some pros and cons of these colleges.
Also what factors should I consider before making a final call.

Any information in this regard will be very helpful.
Thanks in advance.

As an Indian living in DC, I know from experience that most hiring from McDonough happens for Federal consulting. Great companies come to campus - Deloitte, BCG, BAH etc. but since they all want to staff their Federal practices, they need people with Green card or Citizenship. There is very little opportunity for H1B holders (even when these companies are willing to sponsor) for you to get projects in this area. Please do take that into consideration when you weigh in your options. Hope that helps!

P.s - One big reason I am not applying to schools in this area along with cost of living. McDonough will be significantly more expensive than Kelley.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
MBAjunkie16 wrote:
boxer317 wrote:
Hi,

I am in Indian software engineer and I intend to do an MBA in US. I have been admitted to full-time MBA program at Kelley School of Business and at Mcdonough School of Business - Georgetown.

Now, I am confused as to which school should I join. I intend to work in the field of IT consultancy in US after MBA. I have talked to alumni of both the schools and I still cannot decide on one. Can you give me some pros and cons of these colleges.

Thanks in advance.

As an Indian living in DC, I know from experience that most hiring from McDonough happens for Federal consulting. Great companies come to campus - Deloitte, BCG, BAH etc. but since they all want to staff their Federal practices, they need people with Green card or Citizenship. There is very little opportunity for H1B holders (even when these companies are willing to sponsor) for you to get projects in this area. Please do take that into consideration when you weigh in your options. Hope that helps!

P.s - One big reason I am not applying to schools in this area along with cost of living. McDonough will be significantly more expensive than Kelley.

Good insights but I don't fully agree with you about the hiring statistics. Cost of living would be definitely high in Washington DC. As far as recruitment is concerned, I can definitely say that International students need to put in more efforts to get hired as compared to US nationals. However, it is not difficult. From my experience and from the previous year-class statistics, International students (especially from India) have all got good internships and full time offers in the consulting space. Companies such as Deloitte, PwC, EY do hire international students (though fewer in number).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
boxer317 wrote:
Hi,

Thanks in advance.

Congratulations on making it to Kelley and McDonough. Looking at your post-mba goal, both universities have almost similar demographics in the field of consulting. Considering the brand value, Kelley wins among the two. But studying at McDonough will give you better opportunities to get internships and jobs in Georgetown when compared to Kelley. Morever, Kelley has slightly higher brand value than McDonough in the MBA community. It is a very close call, but if I were you, I would go with Kelley.

Good luck!
www.interviewbay.com
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [3]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.03
Send PM
Kudos
MBAjunkie16 wrote:

This just isn't correct. Less than 1/3 of the consulting jobs accepted by MSB students last year were for public sector/federal consulting. BAH isn't really a focus school for MSB anymore and BCG doesn't have a federal practice. If you had looked at the school 5-8 years ago I think this may have been the norm, but a lot has changed in the past few years.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 205
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 580 Q37 V32
GMAT 2: 570 Q36 V32
GMAT 3: 680 Q44 V40
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
hooverd wrote:
MBAjunkie16 wrote:

This just isn't correct. Less than 1/3 of the consulting jobs accepted by MSB students last year were for public sector/federal consulting. BAH isn't really a focus school for MSB anymore and BCG doesn't have a federal practice. If you had looked at the school 5-8 years ago I think this may have been the norm, but a lot has changed in the past few years.

I'll admit, the above sentiment is purely anecdotal - I hear this from a friend currently in McDonough and going through recruitment. IMHO, recruiting anywhere on a Visa is tough, but adding an ecosystem that is inherently difficult to enter for people on H1Bs is definitely not going to make it easy for most of us. Boxer317, hope you were able to make your decision.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
MBAjunkie16 wrote:
hooverd wrote:
MBAjunkie16 wrote:

I'll admit, the above sentiment is purely anecdotal - I hear this from a friend currently in McDonough and going through recruitment. IMHO, recruiting anywhere on a Visa is tough, but adding an ecosystem that is inherently difficult to enter for people on H1Bs is definitely not going to make it easy for most of us. Boxer317, hope you were able to make your decision.

MBAjunkie16,

I'm sure you've got good information from your friend who is currently at McDonough. I can't comment on his experience or the reasons he is personally facing difficulties, but from the experience I've had so far (I'm a first year) I am sure McDonough is improving by the day. I am not taking sides here, but I believe that people should speak for their experiences and not something they've overheard someone saying. All the best Boxer317 with your decision making.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Thank you people, your replies have definitely given me few more perspectives to look at.
Although, I am still not decided on the college but I think I am in a better position to make a call now.
It appears there is not much between Kelley and Mcdonough when it comes to statistics and rankings.
Total expenditure will be more or less the same for me at both the places becuase Mcdonough has offered me better scholarship package compared to Kelley. So I can bear the extra cost of living in DC.

It seems it will be more of a lifestyle choice for me now, as in which place I would prefer to live in. Even this choice is kind of tough as I had the time of life during my undergrad years at a small university town somewhat like Bloomington but currently I feel I ll be more comfortable in a metro. So still thinking.

Please keep pouring in your views and I ll let you guys know as soon as I decide to put in a deposit to lock in my decision.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
boxer317 wrote:
Thank you people, your replies have definitely given me few more perspectives to look at.
Although, I am still not decided on the college but I think I am in a better position to make a call now.
It appears there is not much between Kelley and Mcdonough when it comes to statistics and rankings.
Total expenditure will be more or less the same for me at both the places becuase Mcdonough has offered me better scholarship package compared to Kelley. So I can bear the extra cost of living in DC.

It seems it will be more of a lifestyle choice for me now, as in which place I would prefer to live in. Even this choice is kind of tough as I had the time of life during my undergrad years at a small university town somewhat like Bloomington but currently I feel I ll be more comfortable in a metro. So still thinking.

Please keep pouring in your views and I ll let you guys know as soon as I decide to put in a deposit to lock in my decision.

That's great. I believe you now have all the information to make a good decision. All the best.
Let me know if you have any specific queries. Happy to help.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hello people,

Just put in the deposit to confirm my place at Georgetown University: McDonough School of business. :-D
I took some time to make the call.
Thank you everyone for sharing your views.
Can't wait to get started.
Hoya Saxa ;)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Kelley is pretty isolated compared to Georgetown as it's like an hour outside of Indy in a rural college town...being in DC for Georgetown is great because you can easily get to the airport or hop on a $30 Megabus and in 4 hours you're in NYC. It will probably be a bit easier to network but a lot more expensive if Georgetown doesn't offer student housing...just an FYI I'm a Kelley Direct student. Check with the schools' career services and see which firms usually recruit from them and explain that you're Indian. I'm sure others have gone to them about this sort of thing...
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1130 posts