Last visit was: 06 Jun 2024, 21:03 It is currently 06 Jun 2024, 21:03
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 629 [3]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2215 [0]
Given Kudos: 298
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V41
GMAT 3: 790 Q51 V49
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Re: I'm 33 - Am I too old for applying for MBA in US? [#permalink]
Can some tell me who is Sandy?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
honchos wrote:
Can some tell me who is Sandy?

Abhij is talking about Sandy Kreisberg, an admission consultant who specializes in Harvard/Stanford applications. There are many youtube vidoes from poetsandquants where some applicants are analysed. Abhij quoted Sandy from one of those videos.

Thanks,
Prodizy
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
I was able to search sandy's Profile-
https://hbsguru.com/about.html
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q38 V41
WE:Project Management (Consulting)
Send PM
USC Marshall's IBEAR MBA (1 Year) and Katz Pittsburgh 1-year MBA are two US options you could consider.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Information Technology (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
Hey - I see that your goal is to apply for an MBA in US so my suggestion may or not be directly relevant to you. Since you are from India, this may make sense for you

While doing my research on MBA programs I stumbled upon PGPX and EPGP programs in IIMA, IIMB and IIMC (and other IIMs as well). They are 1 year full time programs specifically designed for people with 5 - 15 years of experience. The placements, academics and general industry perception is certainly above average if not excellent. From a financial cost and opportunity cost perspective they make sense for someone in India who is not really looking to change careers but wants to shoot up the career ladder in his specific field, IT senior management in your case. They take people based on GMAT+Essay+international experience+interview..pretty much the same standards as US schools. If you are considering working in Asia/ India, these are worth considering for sure.

Hope this helps.
K

RRamkumar wrote:
Hi All,

This is my first post !! Feels Happy & Great to be part of GMAT Club !!

I'm planning to apply for MBA in the US for 2015 Fall in take, for which I will start applying by end of this year.

I'm a Project Manager in a US based company (currently in South India) & wish to take up MBA to reach to senior management positions quickly & handle that position effectively.

My question (and my worry!) is: I will be 33 when I apply for MBA, and will have 11 years of progressive experience in IT !!

Am I too old for MBA? Will my applications be considered in the first place (or) be rejected out-right ??

Please let me know.

Based on the responses I will have to decide whether or not I should plan for GMAT & MBA.

Many thanks in advance.

Ram
Admission Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi,

I know quiet a few who have been able to make it to b-school after 30.

The reason why we do not see much students (over 30) at b-school is because students prefer to do MBA when they are between 25-28 (most of the times).

I would suggest you to be crystal clear in your essays as to why this MBA is gonna change your life ?

I mean the admissions team does not want a dissatisfied customer whose goals are to become CEO immediately after his MBA and a b-school may not be the right choice for the same.

I have been closely working with someone who is an admissions director and the most important aspect that i have learned is that "the school does not want to admit anyone whose aspirations are difficult to fulfill". He says any dissatisfied customer (student) is a danger to school's market, so they would prefer to admit someone who wants to become an analyst (immediately) and not CEO (immediately).

My explanation might seem to carrt commercial aspect behind this process, but this is fact.

Good luck.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
prodizy wrote:
Hey Ram,

I have almost identical background as yours. I also have my own startup(I contribute on a part-time basis). I am 32 and going through the ordeal this year. All dings in the first round. I have slight hopes on the second round outcome. I have a GMAT score of 700 and did a decent job with essays. But so far no luck.

Some unsolicited advice :

1. It's going to be very tough. Manage your expectations. Someone once told me that getting into a top US business school is a two year process for Indians.
2. Get a stellar GMAT score. I think a lot of people underplay the role of GMAT in the admissions. A very high GMAT will probably make the adcom take an another look at your essays
3. Stellar essays.
4. Why MBA story has to be perfect. Career goals should be crystal clear and make sense. By looking at the resume and essays, the adcom should know why you want an MBA and how your will flourish with it.
5. Play the round strategy properly.

I know all of these things in the hindsight. This sounds easy to execute, but it's a lot of hard work. One idea is to look at 1 years programs in Europe. They are relatively easy to get into and age is not going be a major issue there.

First step for you is to understand why you need an MBA clearly(not just getting senior management position). Start looking at the linked profiles and get a clear understanding of your career trajectory post-MBA. Explore post-MBA careers paths. Talk to current students and alumni.

If you are committed and strong, I don't see any reason why you won't make it just because you are 33. But the path is difficult and at the end of it you will come out as a better person. All the best!

Thanks,
Prodizy

Ram,
Prodizy has some very good advice in there. The point is that age becomes an issue for the adcom only if you show them that it is an issue/concern for you! If everything in your application is telling the same story and it makes sense as a progression (experience - MBA - career goals), age is out of the picture (except for top schools like Harvard). I'm 34 at the moment, and I've received offers with scholarship from more than one US school. Good luck!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
pandreirobr wrote:
prodizy wrote:
Hey Ram,

I have almost identical background as yours. I also have my own startup(I contribute on a part-time basis). I am 32 and going through the ordeal this year. All dings in the first round. I have slight hopes on the second round outcome. I have a GMAT score of 700 and did a decent job with essays. But so far no luck.

Some unsolicited advice :

1. It's going to be very tough. Manage your expectations. Someone once told me that getting into a top US business school is a two year process for Indians.
2. Get a stellar GMAT score. I think a lot of people underplay the role of GMAT in the admissions. A very high GMAT will probably make the adcom take an another look at your essays
3. Stellar essays.
4. Why MBA story has to be perfect. Career goals should be crystal clear and make sense. By looking at the resume and essays, the adcom should know why you want an MBA and how your will flourish with it.
5. Play the round strategy properly.

I know all of these things in the hindsight. This sounds easy to execute, but it's a lot of hard work. One idea is to look at 1 years programs in Europe. They are relatively easy to get into and age is not going be a major issue there.

First step for you is to understand why you need an MBA clearly(not just getting senior management position). Start looking at the linked profiles and get a clear understanding of your career trajectory post-MBA. Explore post-MBA careers paths. Talk to current students and alumni.

If you are committed and strong, I don't see any reason why you won't make it just because you are 33. But the path is difficult and at the end of it you will come out as a better person. All the best!

Thanks,
Prodizy

Ram,
Prodizy has some very good advice in there. The point is that age becomes an issue for the adcom only if you show them that it is an issue/concern for you! If everything in your application is telling the same story and it makes sense as a progression (experience - MBA - career goals), age is out of the picture (except for top schools like Harvard). I'm 34 at the moment, and I've received offers with scholarship from more than one US school. Good luck!

Admission in Business Schools are quite common even between 30-35 age Group, the best is to see the MBA statistics, though as the age goes up, admission is slightly tricky. Nonetheless, resume and goals if they are clear admission is possible. The point is early risers have place in the world as the we matures society has its reasons to refuse us, but be persistent and move on Executive MBA'S are also there.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V33
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Hi,

Answer to your question - Yes 33 may be too old for applying for MBA in US. So? Apply or dont apply.
My vote goes to apply. But that makes the answer irrelevant, in fact it makes the question irrelevant!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q44 V49
GPA: 3.6
WE:Information Technology (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
If you are 33 and Indian and from IT - the odds are really stacked up against you. You are coming from an over-represented demographic and a non-glamourous career path that also does not give you too many glowing, knight in shining armor examples to talk about.

Business schools and other consultants tell you "age only matters to a certain degree, its one element of the package, blah blah blah.. " I think that only applies to candidates outside the Male-Indian-IT pool. I think, admissions directors are being disingenuous when they don't just come out and say it.

The other argument - that there are not many 30+ candidates that apply to MBA is true only to a certain extent. If 30+ only makes 10% of the application pool... but does that relate to 10% of the admitted pool too? Schools don't want to give you statistics on that. More and more, the 80% range barely reaches 30. Current students I talked to often said "oh I know a guy who is almost 35". Yes, thats how uncommon you are..

On the other hand, the on-campus and off-campus events I attended (esp in Seattle) had a large number of people that were 30+ and had IT background (thanks Microsoft, Amaxon etc). This made me further doubt the "not many 30+ IT candidates apply" argument.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2