Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 03:31 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 03:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Said (Oxford) Class of 2015 Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
FROM Oxford Admissions Blog: Oxford EMBA Module 1
The first module started in Oxford in January. On Sunday we had ‘day zero’ of studying. There were a couple of events where we could come to know each other. The second one was quite simple, a lunch at the Ashmolean Museum: a beautiful place, good food, nice talks.

And the starting event was quite unusual. It was called Oxford Pursuit and was created so that we could get to know each other and the city faster. All the people were divided into groups of four, got the questions (18 blocks, 2 questions each) and had to find the answers to them within two hours. The blocks were made in a way that one question could be answered with information from the internet, but to answer another one we had to find a right building in the city and come there. For example, we had to find the text under a painting in a bar of a famous hotel, or sometimes just have a picture taken in front.

We lost. Chances to win were high; we had a person who had lived in Oxford and knew the city well, but we did not take the questions too seriously, purely guessing some last ones. But it was fun and made some difference in the flow of questions “Who are you? Where are you from?” typically following an attempt of 80 people to get to know each other and making one’s head swing.

Monday

Monday morning was allotted for organizational lectures and some more socializing. After lunch we had two more case-based classes. David Upton started – I think he was the first on schedule to wake everyone up. He is a very emotional and lively teacher. The case was very difficult, or to be more precise, very detailed, about 15 pages of description. Group discussions were immediately turned into common dispute. It was interesting not only from the problematic point of view, but also as an example of teacher’s work.

Tuesday

For the evening we had a long lecture on leadership and decision making with Owen Darbishire. There was a case again and this case turned into an educative story. Owen gave its name in the reading list, I had found it on the Internet, read it and already had a thoroughly thought decision handy. Others in the group (the discussions took place in groups of six) were reading on the spot and I had an obvious advantage in knowing the situation. But I have not guessed that I should have taken the initiative, and overestimated the measure I should be agreed to, so as a result we came to the hall without a common decision. Next time I should think more seriously about argumentation of my opinion.

Wednesday

The main event of the day was visiting colleges. The thing is that the schedule is very tight, and not many people live right in college, so almost no one had a chance to visit it. And today the middle of the day was allotted especially for it, so everyone went there to get acquainted and register.

Well, my choice was not a mistake at all. It is even cooler inside than outside. There is a very nice inner yard, an awesome chapel, dining space, and library. The library is simply wonderful. At that MCR looks like a normal student dorm, with billiard and a bottle of vodka behind the fridge. By the way, surprisingly I see people buying vodka or beer in Oxford stores, but I saw no one buying whiskey or wine.

Thursday

Today a solemn ceremony of admission to university students (matriculation) took place. From the one hand, it is very unusual: special clothing, old-time procedures etc. In the evening, apparently as the continuation of matriculation there was a gala dinner at Trinity College. It was beautiful and tasty. One of the very pleasant impressions is always good food. As the dinner became the part of the whole process, the upshot is that I am submerged into ceaseless English speaking from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m., or 14 hours a day. Now it is quite exhausting, but even after several days it eases off, so eventually it will pass.

Friday

Almost all day on Friday was devoted to statistics and work in Excel. Both things have been my basic working instruments for many years, so I was mostly doing my own stuff, sometimes getting into action when the group was doing the exercises. But still statistics should be revised, as a part of terminology is different from the one I am used to, and a part of tests is required to be done in group.

Saturday

In the middle of the week we were told that the School provided us with lifetime membership in Oxford Union, one of the oldest debate societies. On Saturday trial debates were organized for us, just in the team of student Business School and with quite a typical topic. Debates take place between two groups, one is supporting the announced topic while the other is opposing. Each group has four speakers and a support team. It was a very interesting experience, especially for removing psychological barriers with giving talks in English.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Send PM
FROM Oxford Admissions Blog: London – Toronto non-stop
I am on an Air Canada flight from Toronto to London; I have no sense of time and little idea of why I ended up here. But it all started quite excitingly. Welcome to “Hellary” as it is sometimes appropriately called by some of my peers.

Well the term is officially called “Hilary” but my peers have re-coined it to reflect the amount of work MBAs have to get done in this term. So statutory warning: this term is not for the weak hearted. The term started off with a flurry of companies visiting the campus for recruitment in week 0 or nougth week – the week before term starts – as it’s called here.

And then week one started with an assignment submission; yes you heard it right, a submission in week one!! Then as my friends discovered case study preparation wasn’t just about preparing for a particular case by reading the case, but also by reading related cases, recommended chapters on the book and researching online to see what was happening with the company in focus at the moment. Multiply this five times for five courses, the catching up to do on everyone’s individual college front, couple it with the challenging GOTO (Global opportunities and threats Oxford) module and applying for jobs/internships; we present to you Hilary!!!

For all those who thought they just got back from their vacations with their batteries fully charged, they just realised that it needs a re-charge sooner rather than later and quiet often too. In week one, we organised an interesting event titled, VCIC (Venture Capitalist Investment Competition) where we had real entrepreneurs pitching their business ideas to our school seeking investments. We had our students role-play as VCs and top VCs from London working as judges. One team wins and will go on to Barcelona for the European finals and the best team from Barcelona will then head to the US for the world finals!

Same thing as above but add social impact to it and you have the SVCIC. And so begins the story of how I ended up on this flight. Our team won the Oxford leg of SVCIC and we were put on a flight to the US to participate in the finals. We were quite excited, as our school has won the event twice before and being a school famous for social entrepreneurship with the Skoll Centre located in our school, we were all the more keen on bringing the trophy back home. But as Mother Nature would have it, a snow storm; flights are cancelled, the event is cancelled, everything is in disarray and I am on my way back to London after getting to have dinner in Toronto. So a weekend in the US turned in to a dinner night in Toronto. After this journey I am sure my bed will look all the more inviting.

Originally posted on the FT MBA blog
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Send PM
So who else won't be sleeping Thursday night? (For my time zone the decision will likely be in my email when I wake up)
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Send PM
jack19852 wrote:
So who else won't be sleeping Thursday night? (For my time zone the decision will likely be in my email when I wake up)

I had an email in my inbox this morning titled "Oxford MBA" which i thought for a split second might be a decision........

....ended up being a survey about my experience at the interview :(
Intern
Intern
Send PM
kyleweb wrote:
jack19852 wrote:

I had an email in my inbox this morning titled "Oxford MBA" which i thought for a split second might be a decision........

....ended up being a survey about my experience at the interview :(

I know. I had the same thing and it started with"

"I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to attend your interview"

Which sounded like a ding. My heart fell. Survey result "don't send it 48h before decision date"
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V42
GPA: 3.16
WE:Underwriter (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Let the waiting and not sleeping begin! I'm hoping the email is there when I wake up. It's going to be a long morning at work if I have to wait 5 pm UK time.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
dh63396 wrote:
Let the waiting and not sleeping begin! I'm hoping the email is there when I wake up. It's going to be a long morning at work if I have to wait 5 pm UK time.

Already at work, so long day ahead :(
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Schools: Oxford (II)
Send PM
Hey,

Wondering if any one has heard from SBS today? Admits are to be sent out today.
Any idea if they will inform us via email or phone calls?

Please update if any of you hear from SBS.

All the best to all!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
No, haven't heard anything yet. As far as i know, the decision is communicated through email. If you check posts for R1 and R2 results, looks like they were sent out quite late in the day (UK time). Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
I got waitlisted for the MFE. Do you guys know anything about the odds of getting in if I'm on the waitlist?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Admitted :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Admitted! Relieved :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Send PM
Dinged... Quite disheartening, SBS was my top choice.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V49
GMAT 2: 790 Q50 V51
GPA: 3.95
Send PM
In! Good luck to everyone!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Accepted!!!! Amazing! Good Luck and congrats all
Intern
Intern
Send PM
admitted!
Intern
Intern
Schools: Oxford
Send PM
:( Dinged...no waitlist also..as per the adcom...feeling bad...all the best to all admitted ones...
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts