GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Dec 2019, 03:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Said (Oxford) Class of 2015 Calling all applicants!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Re: Said (Oxford) Class of 2015 Calling all applicants!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2014, 10:18
rk218Blr wrote:
:( Dinged...no waitlist also..as per the adcom...feeling bad...all the best to all admitted ones...

One things they said in the presentation was that they have a high acceptance rate of re-applicants and encourage to reapply, so it just gives a little more time to make money while you wait.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.84
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2014, 10:48
Accepted :)
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2014, 12:20
In!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GPA: 3.7
WE: Business Development (Internet and New Media)

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2014, 21:55
Admitted! Got my e-mail yesterday while being in Barcelona after WMC 2014. Great news!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2014, 02:46
Is there a facebook group for class of 2015 ?
Intern
Intern
Schools: Oxford (II)

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2014, 14:26
Admitted!
If any of you hear of a fb group for SBS 2015, please share details.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2014, 19:38
hereiamnikhil wrote:
Admitted!
If any of you hear of a fb group for SBS 2015, please share details.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/667443346623235/
Intern
Intern
Business schools are stuck in a self-reinforcing bubble  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2014, 04:00
FROM Oxford Admissions Blog: Business schools are stuck in a self-reinforcing bubble
It’s fashionable for some business schools to lament their affiliations with universities, even going so far as to call for complete separation. But striving for a split is wrongheaded. Independence would hurt, not help, most MBA programs.

Many business schools go to great lengths to divorce themselves from their parent universities. Some set themselves up as legally independent entities. Others, while proudly carrying university surnames, distance themselves by creating geographic and institutional barriers.

One fellow dean described his parent university to me as “a thorn in my side.” An economics professor at the University of Buckingham in the U.K. cited the dead hand of university administration in his call to “take business schools out of universities.”

The complaints sound bold, but the backlash against the university structure is unsound. Business education is far richer when business schools fully engage with their universities, rather than stand apart and wall off their curricula and students. The case for engagement, beyond token joint programs or faculty appointments, lies in two deficiencies found in most MBA programs.

First, while students must be grounded in the common MBA core of finance, accounting, and other courses, opportunities in business can only be understood by those with some appreciation of topics far beyond the standard business curriculum. For the past few years, I’ve asked chief executive officers and other business leaders: “What forces will transform business in 25 years?” My experience is that they quickly converge on a set of topics that business schools don’t teach: demographic change; natural resource constraints; technological trends like big data; and such considerations as equity and justice that will all alter the rules of the game under which business operates.

If these topics are so important to business, why don’t we teach them? In part because we are focused on making sure that our students are “job-ready,” which makes us as myopic as the companies we criticize in our classrooms and case studies. More fundamental, business schools generally don’t have the internal expertise to deal with these topics because our faculties are bound by the disciplinary silos that define virtually all schools. While we may occasionally bring in experts to deal with these topics in electives, none will ever permeate the core of our faculties or curricula.

Fortunately for most of us, the expertise to give students firm grounding in these topics literally sits across the campus, where demographers, gerontologists, city planners, scientists, and engineers abound. While it’s naïve to think that you can simply “invite them into the classroom,” with a bit of nuance we can find ways to meaningfully benefit from them. At Oxford, for example, a new, required course that’s also made available to alumni through a digital platform brings the university into the business classroom. Experts in varied disciplines provoke us by laying out global challenges and opportunities—the aging populations of the U.S., Europe, China and Japan, for instance—and then we (students, alumni, and faculty) have to figure out the implications for business.

There is a second reason to engage with a university: hubris. Business schools tend to operate in bubbles. These are communities solely focused on business in which business executives with the same values are paraded in front of students. Experiences are socially engineered so that students can spend their entire time without meaningfully interacting with anyone outside business.

This simply encourages disconnected thinking. In contrast, at Oxford, our business students benefit from being confronted with the skepticism and confusion that students studying medicine, law, philosophy, history, or engineering may have about business. We are particularly fortunate in that the unique collegiate structure at Oxford, reinforced through our curriculum, literally forces this interaction: MBA students mingle with others over meals, living arrangements, social events, and sports and then are challenged in the classroom by ideas from the sciences and humanities.

Most family relations are complex, and the university-business school relationship is no different. While emancipation may seem like the right short-term answer, business schools and their students are better off if they become a more active part of their university families.

Originally published in Bloomberg Businessweek  on 24 February 2014
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2014, 04:52
Hi guys,
Does anyone have experience of getting loan from Prodigy Finance?
Are there any pitfalls, or can you provide some useful tips?
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.83
WE: Other (Other)

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 04 Mar 2014, 10:47
Answered... xxxxxxxxx... thanks

Originally posted by Billbo on 03 Mar 2014, 09:37.
Last edited by Billbo on 04 Mar 2014, 10:47, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Technology

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2014, 09:43
Hey Billbo,

I would contact the admissions team directly (you should have your contact in the admit email).

I guess it is a mixture of partly showing you are able to meet the total, but also to commit to the school. I'm sure otherwise they'd get students accepting while still keeping other applications active.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 2.7
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2014, 05:14
Admitted, just a note for future applicants, I applied with 680 and a very low GPA (2.7), I gave the GMAT a second time for INSEAD and got 750 but I had already applied to SBS with 680 and got accepted with that score, don't get discouraged by a low GMAT if you have a strong profile!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2014, 06:41
tchantchouna wrote:
Admitted, just a note for future applicants, I applied with 680 and a very low GPA (2.7), I gave the GMAT a second time for INSEAD and got 750 but I had already applied to SBS with 680 and got accepted with that score, don't get discouraged by a low GMAT if you have a strong profile!

I am invited to the interview with Berkeley and admitted to Oxford with 660, after retaking it 7 times. GMAT is just the test.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2014, 16:00
Admitted! - from India :)

Sorry about being the last one to post this here though. Got an email on 28 Feb itself. Stuck between choosing ISB Hyderabad, the finest in India, and Oxford, which is a world renowned brand name. The parameters happen to eba huge financial debt without the guarantee of a job since the market is pretty bad at the moment out there. Does anybody have any views on this?
A visit to remember – #FTChallenge #BallmeratSBS  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2014, 10:00
FROM Oxford Admissions Blog: A visit to remember – #FTChallenge #BallmeratSBS
This title can be a bit misleading as I am going to talk about two visits. One of the perks of being a FT blogger is getting to visit the FT HQ in London’s business district.

I was recently invited to the FT as a guest for their Business School Challenge. A number of top business schools in Europe were fighting it out in a quiz to decide who was the smartest.

The teams were quizzed on news and events as reported in the FT. I couldn’t help but notice the enthusiasm in the room when a question on Scarlett Johansson was asked in the quiz. As the teams indulged in intense competition I was tweeting away the happenings from the media desk with fellow FT bloggers Jaya Sharma and Abhinav Charan from Manchester and Judge Business Schools respectively.

Check out the video at FT Business School on FT’s MBA page to find out which team won. The ultimate winners were poor children with cancer, as this event was organised to raise funds and awareness for fighting cancer in young children. I was happy to be a part of it and also to get an amazing opportunity to interact with my peers from across Europe.

The second visit that I am about to talk about is not one I had to make but rather a visit by a famous personality to Saïd Business School. Our business school has recently played host to a number of chief executives, including those of Pershing Capital, Blackstone and Burberry and – as you might expect of Oxford – regularly holds talks by senior and influential business people and policy makers from around the world.

But for me, the icing on the cake was a visit last week by ex-chief executive of Microsoft, Steve Ballmer, making his first public appearance since relinquishing the post.

As with a visit of this sort the excitement was at fever pitch, as the main lecture theatre and flow-over rooms were all filled to capacity with students, alumni, media and guests. And the man of the moment did not disappoint as he made his entrance with a loud and booming “hello” evoking spontaneous applause from the crowd.

The person who was interviewing Mr Ballmer was our dean and engaging conversationalist Peter Tufano. They started off by reminiscing on their old college days and taking jibes at each other. Then questions moved on to Microsoft and Mr Ballmer’s tenure there. The amount of energy and enthusiasm with which each answer was given had the audience spell bound. I was impressed to know that Mr Ballmer dropped out midway from his two-year MBA to join Microsoft. As our dean joked, “A one-year MBA does work!”

After the dean kicked off the Q&A, the audience had a chance to ask questions. The questions ranged from asking Mr Ballmer’s view on the whatsapp deal, to the things he wishes Microsoft had done differently and his thoughts about start-ups. All of which were answered in typical Mr Ballmer-style, “jumping out of your seat” energy. The best question was however from a fellow classmate. “I know you do things for the excitement and everything – but what is the best perk of being immensely wealthy and powerful?”

Mr Ballmer burst out laughing and said that he would not have taken up the question a month ago, but gave this reply; “I can play in just about any golf course I want – I’m a lousy golfer, but I love it.” And to my classmate’s great pleasure this was published by every major media outlet from the Wall Street Journal to The Australian at the other side of the world. This only happens in Oxford!

Originally published in the FT on 07.03.14
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors
Intern
Intern
Week two on the Oxford Executive MBA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2014, 04:00
FROM Oxford Admissions Blog: Week two on the Oxford Executive MBA
For our second module it felt more like a regular study session. We had two dominating subjects that took 80% of our time every day: ‘Decision and Data Analytics’ (Robert Taylor) and ‘Leadership Fundamentals’ (Sue Dobson). We also had our first GOTO tutorial session – we exchanged some ideas on the topic and broke up. In this project, the bigger part of the work is on the Internet with the reading lists and research, and our next step will be a serious challenge: we have to find a person, who is an expert in Big Data, and record an interview with them. I am wondering if I can get to the Main Data Centre of Russian Railways, or even Deutsche Bahn. It would be great, as I know a lot about the possible usage of data there, so I can prepare a good plot for the discussion.

By the way, social life now boils over. We have a group on Facebook, people are planning trips for this year (Tel Aviv and Moscow) and every evening something is planned, from tennis to speed dating clubs. Once per module we will have a formal college dinner but this week I had two of them. A formal dinner is a very beautiful event with great food. Oxford has a very unusual mix of old formal rules and at the same time full freedom, and informal style in cases where I expected formality. In general it looks natural, but it is different from the things I have seen elsewhere.

We have finished with Decision and Data Analytics and now we just have to prepare two assignments. One is for small groups, it is a case on multiple regression, and the second is individual and on decision trees. Though we had started from regular lectures, classes soon became a mix of lectures, seminars and group work. Surprisingly, the final tasks appeared to be much more complex than I expected. Step by step, we finished with the group assignment, so we do not need to do it distantly, but even with my experience in statistics I made many mistakes.

Each session of Leadership Fundamentals consisted of some lecture materials, group discussion of a case and then discussion with the class. The only really hard part was to read the case, as they were about 20 pages each. The course was fun – classical study was moved to our readings and cases were something like a bridge between our life situations and theory.

In the middle of the week we had a session called “Asset Profitability in Practice”. It sounded like a financial course, but in fact it was a fun game with very important results. In this game, a half of the class (about 35 people) imitated work of a factory. Everybody had his or her roles and we ran through three cycles of work trying to organize it optimally. Of course, I understood that manufacturing processes can be optimised, but I did not expect the extent of the optimisation. We got two times higher production volume in the third cycle and finished 10 times more orders in time. It looked like a silly game, but all those situations, when you are trying to do your best, failing, then getting things done and being able to see what helps, make the base for the application of theory. This course was a warm-up before Indian module, where David Upton awaits us with his cases and ‘Operations Management’ course.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2014, 10:07
Hello everyone. I just submitted my application for R4. Hoping it isn't too late in the cycle.
I received the confirmation email from Said saying that a member of the Admissions team will contact me within 5 working days. Has anyone else received this? Am I to expect a decision on the application that soon?

Thanks for the help!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2014, 23:41
absmba wrote:
Hello everyone. I just submitted my application for R4. Hoping it isn't too late in the cycle.
I received the confirmation email from Said saying that a member of the Admissions team will contact me within 5 working days. Has anyone else received this? Am I to expect a decision on the application that soon?

Thanks for the help!

Hi absmba,
Everyone gets this message. It means that in case your application is incomplete the AdCom will asks you to provide necessary information or change something.
For example in my case they asked me to reduce my resume from two pages to one page.
Your decision will be announced after interview.
Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Launch: Social Impact Careers Conference  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2014, 04:00
FROM Oxford Admissions Blog: Launch: Social Impact Careers Conference
If you are interested in a career in social impact, The Said Business School’s Social Impact Careers Conference – Launch was the place to be on March 4 and 5.

While only on its second year, Launch is well on its way to becoming a major cornerstone of the Social Impact ecosystem; the two day event saw social entrepreneurs, corporate honchos, corporate burnouts as well as students and academics converge on the Said Business School. To quote Freddy Mercury, ‘All we need is one worldwide vision’ and Launch definitely illustrated that. Everyone at the conference certainly had one objective in mind, ‘SOCIAL IMPACT’.

Kicking off the event was self-professed ‘impatient optimist’, Daniel Epstein, founder of TheUnreasonable Group, and a serial entrepreneur, with his vision that ‘entrepreneurship’ is the answer to all the issues of today, environmental & social problems. And, how much can and will be achieved simply by adopting what his company has, ‘we > i’. Following this presentation, attendees were given the option of attending either ‘Starting/joining a social enterprise’ or the ‘Role of CSR & Intrapreneurship’. The latter session shed some light on the diverse approaches being adopted by large corporations as they look to increase their social impact. Unilever‘s Geoff McDonald’s takes over afterwards with ‘No more CSR’ and ‘integrating sustainability and sustainable living.’ Sharing Unilever’s vision, Geoff explains some of the underlying principles behind Unilever’s world leading commitment to sustainability with a simple example of how with an exploding population, the world will house 9 billion people by 2050, it made sense to save water, simply because sans water, who would use Unilever’s products?

There was a consensus among both the attendees and the speakers that while entrepreneurs can provide solutions for challenges, corporations can scale them and magnify their impact; making collaboration the uncontested path of choice to greater social impact. Some cynics questioned how this message could be conveyed to those ‘numbers people’ who don’t despise being sustainable, but don’t have the incentive to incorporate it. (Read: some CFOs and CEOs). The answer lies in playing by their rules and ‘measuring and monetizing’ the cost savings and efficiency that adopting sustainable practices will introduce to their businesses.

Learning the ropes

Day two started with the opening Plenary by Charmian Love of Volans and Mary Roach of GSMA. Charmian, who co-founded Volans with Pamela Hartigan, the Director of Skoll Centre for Social Entrepreneurship, listed down the 6 avenues available to those interested in the social impact space including Startups, NGO/policy, impact investing, social enterprises, intrapreneurship and intermediaries. She quoted Robert Frost’s ‘The road less travelled’ to instill a level of confidence in those contemplating a career switch or a non-traditional career, reiterating that doing something like that can be both thrilling and terrifying at the same time. Whereas Mary explained how she and her peers were using mobile technology to support and provide energy related solutions.

The attendees then split across three workshops, working in NGOS, conversations with recent alumni and Consulting for Impact. Phil Scott from Deloitte’s Social Innovation Pioneers Programmeexplained that the work that they do is not about being good, nice or even right, but about doing the things that make sense. Jose Retana from PwC, who developed the TIMM (Total Impact Management & Measurement) framework also spoke about the work that is being done by the sustainability team at PwC that is working to improve impact measurement methodologies. Work continued during lunch where students had the opportunity of attending group chats with the speakers as well as have one-on-one sessions or getting their CV reviewed along with immensely beneficial feedback.

Post lunch, attendees could choose between understanding the nuances of Social Finance or a session on career options through fellowships and accelerators. Tom Rippin, Founder of On Purposeand Alice Dyke from the Clore Social Leadership Programme, offered students some insight into the avenue of transitioning into the social enterprise network through their respective organizations as means to explore the space and acquire the necessary skills. The last sessions of the day included ‘Creating you dream job’ which ran parallel to Entrepreneurship 101 by Xavier Helgesen, founder of Better World Books (BWB) &Off.Grid:Electric. The dreamjob session run by TribeWanted‘s Ben Keene included Mark Leruste,Life in Shape, a recovering corporate burnout who created a job for himself in Movember by simply doing what would make him stand out as well Chad Anderson from Space Angels Network who managed to make his job, pretty much out of this world.

Supporting the ecosystem

The event was filled with extraordinary stories of ‘misfits’ or ‘renegades’ as we like to call them, whose ideas are changing how we do business. However, it wasn’t all about inspirational thought leaders, it was also about real people doing real things that are without a doubt changing not just how business is done, but also how we as people judge and evaluate organizations that operate in our community.

In a growing ecosystem that is in dire need for people to take it to the next level and scale the ideas that excite us all about the future prospects of social enterprises, conferences like Launch are absolutely imperative to attracting the right kind of talent to the social enterprise sector and showcasing all the amazing opportunities available to them. Talent is without a doubt one of the most important components of a healthy ecosystem and without conferences like Launch, the sector would be losing a tremendous opportunity to showcase what it has to offer and more importantly lose a valuable opportunity to engage with the growing talent pool that is interested in pursuing careers in the social sector.

By Anchal Kakkar – This article was first published in the Renegade Times http://renegadetimes.com/2014/03/12/dotting-the-is-and-crossing-the-ts-of-careers-in-social-impact/ 
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2014, 06:56
Strongholder80 wrote:
absmba wrote:

Thanks for the help!

Hi absmba,
Everyone gets this message. It means that in case your application is incomplete the AdCom will asks you to provide necessary information or change something.
For example in my case they asked me to reduce my resume from two pages to one page.
Your decision will be announced after interview.
Good luck!

Thanks for letting me know. I guess the way it was phrased threw me a little "a member of the Admissions Team will contact you" rather than "may contact you". I guess if it's all is order I would receive a message saying it's being looked at.

waiting is the worst. time machine anyone?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Said (Oxford) Class of 2015 Calling all applicants!   [#permalink] 13 Mar 2014, 06:56

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14    Next  [ 265 posts ] 

Said (Oxford) Class of 2015 Calling all applicants!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: sunmoon, nvdmurty