Last visit was: 15 May 2024, 12:02 It is currently 15 May 2024, 12:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
GPA: 3.89
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.86
WE:General Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Re: Wharton: Calling all applicants - Class of 2016! [#permalink]
jcswinterpark wrote:

You should expect to spend well over $200k. The Wharton budget is a joke and everything on campus is VERY expensive. For instance, we just had Follies which is the annual talent show and they charge students upwards of $80 per ticket. Every conference, club or event that you attend will cost somewhere between $30 - $150 and if you don't spend the money, you will miss out on the Wharton experience. The only value that Wharton offers is cheaper housing (relative to NYC / Boston / SF), otherwise, stuff here is pretty expensive.

Hey. Thanks for the reply. Are you currently studying there? If you don't mind can you let me know how much you ended up spending per year? (total, including events etc)? Thanks much.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
sayak57 wrote:

What do u mean well over 200k? We can take loan upto 80%(international), thats 160k. Plus I am budgeting 15k saved from my internship and 40k out of my pocket. Isnt that enough? If I live in a 1000$ or so apartment(incl utilities, shared 3bhk normally costs 2.5k + utilities) and budget 1000 additional per month, that brings me to 140k tuition plus 40k living(all this is on my highest side), plus 10k if I bring my wife in the second year. I thought 200k should be enough by this estimate.

If i remember correctly, the 80% loan is only for tuition fees (i.e. 80% of 140k assuming no change in the coming years), so only around 100k. Not sure if there is any other requirements. Probably someone who is already in the program can give a better estimate.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Desley1 wrote:
sayak57 wrote:

What do u mean well over 200k? We can take loan upto 80%(international), thats 160k. Plus I am budgeting 15k saved from my internship and 40k out of my pocket. Isnt that enough? If I live in a 1000$ or so apartment(incl utilities, shared 3bhk normally costs 2.5k + utilities) and budget 1000 additional per month, that brings me to 140k tuition plus 40k living(all this is on my highest side), plus 10k if I bring my wife in the second year. I thought 200k should be enough by this estimate.

If i remember correctly, the 80% loan is only for tuition fees (i.e. 80% of 140k assuming no change in the coming years), so only around 100k. Not sure if there is any other requirements. Probably someone who is already in the program can give a better estimate.

No, 80% of cost of attendance. Otherwise I wouldnt have effin' applied.
"International students who plan to borrow through the International Loan Program with Quorum Federal Credit Union may only borrow up to 80% of the MBA Student Budget for the first and second years of the program."
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Was anyone asked the following question during the one on one interview? Are there any R1 candidates who got accepted and remember this question from TBD. (Im in the over analyzing, the longer it has been the worst the interview was, mode).

" Has there been any changes in your profile/resume since you applied ?".
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Send PM
nb2987 wrote:
Was anyone asked the following question during the one on one interview? Are there any R1 candidates who got accepted and remember this question from TBD. (Im in the over analyzing, the longer it has been the worst the interview was, mode).

Yes they asked many of us that question during R1. My awkward response of "no there have been no changes" was enough.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
MBAUnderDOG wrote:
nb2987 wrote:

Yes they asked many of us that question during R1. My awkward response of "no there have been no changes" was enough.

Posted from my mobile device

Thanks MBAUnderDOG!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: International Business, General Management
WE:Analyst (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Kudos
You should expect to spend well over $200k. The Wharton budget is a joke and everything on campus is VERY expensive. For instance, we just had Follies which is the annual talent show and they charge students upwards of $80 per ticket. Every conference, club or event that you attend will cost somewhere between $30 - $150 and if you don't spend the money, you will miss out on the Wharton experience. The only value that Wharton offers is cheaper housing (relative to NYC / Boston / SF), otherwise, stuff here is pretty expensive.[/quote]

Well if it makes folks feel any better my wife and I are still paying off our UG loans from Penn. When all is said and done this fine institution will have collected half a mil in fees from my budding family.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
ScottHG wrote:
Hi guys,

Did any1 hear about the results of the background check? (I am an admitted cand.)

\

I had a good deal of back and forth with Re Vera about mine and they said it was done on their end. But no, I still have't heard anything back about whether the background check is complete and has been accepted by Wharton. Starting to give me a little bit of anxiety...just want it all to be settled. Anyone else in the same situation?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
salmonintro wrote:
ScottHG wrote:
Hi guys,

Did any1 hear about the results of the background check? (I am an admitted cand.)

\

I had a good deal of back and forth with Re Vera about mine and they said it was done on their end. But no, I still have't heard anything back about whether the background check is complete and has been accepted by Wharton. Starting to give me a little bit of anxiety...just want it all to be settled. Anyone else in the same situation?

How long did the entire process take for you? and did you contact them to ask if the verification is done or they notified you?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
vaderschooler wrote:
salmonintro wrote:
ScottHG wrote:
Hi guys,

\

How long did the entire process take for you? and did you contact them to ask if the verification is done or they notified you?

The entire process took about a week. They (Re Vera) asked for a bunch of additional documents from me and had a few questions about my current position. When they were done, they told me that everything was complete on their end and that they did not need any more information from me. That was about 2-3 weeks ago though and i still haven't heard anything from Wharton.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[/quote]

The entire process took about a week. They (Re Vera) asked for a bunch of additional documents from me and had a few questions about my current position. When they were done, they told me that everything was complete on their end and that they did not need any more information from me. That was about 2-3 weeks ago though and i still haven't heard anything from Wharton.[/quote][/quote]

Can you provide some color on what additional docs they require? Thanks. My former employer is super slow,e sp around tax season, and it might make sense to ask for these docs now.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
chromium73 wrote:
You should expect to spend well over $200k. The Wharton budget is a joke and everything on campus is VERY expensive. For instance, we just had Follies which is the annual talent show and they charge students upwards of $80 per ticket. Every conference, club or event that you attend will cost somewhere between $30 - $150 and if you don't spend the money, you will miss out on the Wharton experience. The only value that Wharton offers is cheaper housing (relative to NYC / Boston / SF), otherwise, stuff here is pretty expensive.

Well if it makes folks feel any better my wife and I are still paying off our UG loans from Penn. When all is said and done this fine institution will have collected half a mil in fees from my budding family.[/quote]

Thanks for sharing. Always better to hear from someone who has experienced it. And since you are at Wharton again i guess it is well- worth the price :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GPA: 3.55
Send PM
Guangjujiu wrote:
existenz2645 wrote:
Hi,

Had TBD last week. It was collaborative and enjoyable.
But honestly no significant difference among 6 team members from my view...

Does anyone know the case that all team members or 5 out of 6 are accepted or dinged in R1?
I know the final decision depends on the quality of total application package but please tell me if you know the case.

Yes, when I visited campus several students noted that there are cases when all students get recommended for admission or, on the flip side, none do. As you mentioned, the interview is just one component of the entire application, which is evaluated holistically.

I'm a Wharton first year - from my group of six, five were accepted and four of us are here. There are also cases where only one person (or none!) got in!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
GPA: 3.55
Send PM
Kudos
sayak57 wrote:
Desley1 wrote:
sayak57 wrote:

"International students who plan to borrow through the International Loan Program with Quorum Federal Credit Union may only borrow up to 80% of the MBA Student Budget for the first and second years of the program."

Expect to spend more money than you ever dreamed possible! That said, there are ways to live more cheaply. You can forego many of the trips (I'm taking a trip almost every break and hitting South America (x3), Europe, and Africa in the course of one year ain't cheap!), also forego the events (each one is around $50), and pack your food from home. Honestly though, that's a terrible idea! The whole MBA experience is what you're here for - these trips, dinners, and events are where you form the bonds that become lifelong connections. Make sure you're not worried about saving an extra $50 because what you're sacrificing is much, much more valuable. Plus, with a Wharton MBA, $50 is what you should be making in about an hour once you graduate. (In consulting or banking, it's about what you make in 30 minutes).

Save every dollar you earn until you come to school, then lever up and live it up. It's only two years and this experience is Worth. Every. Penny.

Also, here's some inspiration for those of you who are unconvinced:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTbK8vPGsf4
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
FROM Wharton Admissions Blog: Looking Ahead
Happy March! As Round 2 interviews wrap up in the coming days, we wanted to provide a quick update in advance of the decision release date and the Round 3 application deadline at the end of the month.

Over the past couple of weeks, the Admissions team has thoroughly enjoyed getting to know many of you through the Team Based Discussion. We have traveled to a number of major cities around the globe, witnessing firsthand the high caliber of talent and collaboration possessed by this group of applicants.  From halfway around the world in Mumbai, to across the pond in London, to right here, in snowy Philadelphia, we continue to be impressed and amazed by the candidates that we have met along the way.

As we prepare to release Round 2 decisions on March 25th, our Round 3 candidates should prepare to complete their applications in time for the March 27th deadline.  For further insight on the application process, please continue to check out our webinar recordings on our website or reach out to our office directly at mba-admiss@wharton.upenn.edu.

We hope that everyone is staying warm, wherever you may be, and thinking happy thoughts of Spring!

-The Wharton MBA Admissions Team

The post Looking Ahead appeared first on Engage with Us.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Send PM
panama5565 wrote:
sayak57 wrote:
Desley1 wrote:
[quote="sayak57"]

Expect to spend more money than you ever dreamed possible! That said, there are ways to live more cheaply. You can forego many of the trips (I'm taking a trip almost every break and hitting South America (x3), Europe, and Africa in the course of one year ain't cheap!), also forego the events (each one is around $50), and pack your food from home. Honestly though, that's a terrible idea! The whole MBA experience is what you're here for - these trips, dinners, and events are where you form the bonds that become lifelong connections. Make sure you're not worried about saving an extra $50 because what you're sacrificing is much, much more valuable. Plus, with a Wharton MBA, $50 is what you should be making in about an hour once you graduate. (In consulting or banking, it's about what you make in 30 minutes).

Save every dollar you earn until you come to school, then lever up and live it up. It's only two years and this experience is Worth. Every. Penny.

Also, here's some inspiration for those of you who are unconvinced:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTbK8vPGsf4[/quote]
See, for the normal global trips, you can add them to your student budget and borrow. Thats not a problem. I m only concerned about the remaining 20% that I have to bear (yes, people in India make very less). I do not want to forego on the experience, the trips, the events, etc. I will however, save as much as possible in living, food, housing, etc. Thanks for the info.

Sent from my One X using Tapatalk
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V42
Send PM
Guys, an awesome new feature on gmatclub, share your mba experience. Share your journey with fellow and potential applicants so they can learn from your experience (https://gmatclub.com/forum/share-your-application-experience-332/)
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  68   69   70   71   72   73   74  ...  88   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6929 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts