Last visit was: 06 May 2024, 10:14 It is currently 06 May 2024, 10:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 345 [271]
Given Kudos: 125
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 710 Q43 V44
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V46
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [4]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 345 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Send PM
Re: 510 to 770 49Q 46V 6IR - What worked for me - 2 Years [#permalink]
Great debrief and congrats for the awesome score. ATB for the apps.
I too second the part -- "what got me from the 30's in verbal to the 40's was ONLY using official GMAT problems as test material and reading Ron Purewal's explanation to every answer"

"I never studied combinatorics or probability. I hated those and refused to spend time on it. I hoped that I would see those on test day, funny thing is I saw 4 of them, probably got them wrong." -- I had my own justification to this. I believed that the algo attacks your weakest areas as it zeros in on ur level. Imagine, you were doing brilliantly and then got a P&C, got it wrong, level went down, after some problems that you got right (at a 49,50 level this is very believable) you got another P&C and got it wrong. If you continue getting all rights, the easiest way for the algo to make it harder would be to dish out another P&C. Just my make belief theory so that I covered everything :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 126
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Schools: ISB '18 (A)
GPA: 2.7
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
rohanGmat wrote:
Great debrief and congrats for the awesome score. ATB for the apps.
I too second the part -- "what got me from the 30's in verbal to the 40's was ONLY using official GMAT problems as test material and reading Ron Purewal's explanation to every answer"

"I never studied combinatorics or probability. I hated those and refused to spend time on it. I hoped that I would see those on test day, funny thing is I saw 4 of them, probably got them wrong." -- I had my own justification to this. I believed that the algo attacks your weakest areas as it zeros in on ur level. Imagine, you were doing brilliantly and then got a P&C, got it wrong, level went down, after some problems that you got right (at a 49,50 level this is very believable) you got another P&C and got it wrong. If you continue getting all rights, the easiest way for the algo to make it harder would be to dish out another P&C. Just my make belief theory so that I covered everything :)

hehe.i recently gave gmat. even i was amused to see 2-3 probability questions and 1-2 permutations and combinations questions. the spread of the questions was good , yet it surprised me :roll:
Manager
Manager
Send PM
rohanGmat wrote:
I had my own justification to this. I believed that the algo attacks your weakest areas as it zeros in on ur level. Imagine, you were doing brilliantly and then got a P&C, got it wrong, level went down, after some problems that you got right (at a 49,50 level this is very believable) you got another P&C and got it wrong. If you continue getting all rights, the easiest way for the algo to make it harder would be to dish out another P&C. Just my make belief theory so that I covered everything :)

...ahhh very interesting that would make sense.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Peter, where I can find Ron´s explanations to SC? I´ve been looking for those but I couldn't find them. Thank you.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
alsu wrote:
Peter, where I can find Ron´s explanations to SC? I´ve been looking for those but I couldn't find them. Thank you.

Ron Purewal posts a lot on Manhattan GMAT forums. He also answers questions every Thursday. If you google "Thursday's with Ron" he will come right up at the top of the list.
He does not have a list of explanations, rather, if you have an official sentence correction question, google that question and you will find him responding to the questions on the Manhattan GMAT forums. I am not sure if he is active on gmatclub.

Also, in the GPSC document I provided I copied and pasted much of his responses in the document.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
GPA: 3.55
Send PM
Thank you so much. What are your thoughts though on the PowerScore LSAT LR Question Type Vol. 2 though? I've finished studying the CR Bible already. Does the LSAT LR complement the CR Bible? And If so, are the LSAT LR Question Types in the same GMAT-language?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 345 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
francoimps wrote:
Thank you so much. What are your thoughts though on the PowerScore LSAT LR Question Type Vol. 2 though? I've finished studying the CR Bible already. Does the LSAT LR complement the CR Bible? And If so, are the LSAT LR Question Types in the same GMAT-language?

I think that the "PowerScore LSAT LR Question Type Vol. 2" is a must have. It is my number 3 point under Critical Reasoning. The book is a collection of official LSAT questions and although I say to ONLY practice official GMAT questions I believe that practicing official LSAT questions is the exception to this rule. I found the questions to be very similar and often much harder. I think that if it weren't for this book I would not have performed as well on the GMAT Verbal section.

Yes there are question types that are not found on the GMAT such as the "Point At Issue/Point of Agreement" questions but the book breaks up each question type by chapter and so you can just avoid these questions.

I would absolutely purchase the book. About a week before the exam I would stop using the book and go over about 50 to 100 official GMAT questions again just to make sure your ear is tuned to the right channel (official GMAT questions).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
GPA: 3.55
Send PM
PeterHAllen wrote:
francoimps wrote:

I think that the "PowerScore LSAT LR Question Type Vol. 2" is a must have. It is my number 3 point under Critical Reasoning. The book is a collection of official LSAT questions and although I say to ONLY practice official GMAT questions I believe that practicing official LSAT questions is the exception to this rule. I found the questions to be very similar and often much harder. I think that if it weren't for this book I would not have performed as well on the GMAT Verbal section.

Yes there are question types that are not found on the GMAT such as the "Point At Issue/Point of Agreement" questions but the book breaks up each question type by chapter and so you can just avoid these questions.

I would absolutely purchase the book. About a week before the exam I would stop using the book and go over about 50 to 100 official GMAT questions again just to make sure your ear is tuned to the right channel (official GMAT questions).

Got it! Thanks a lot, Peter. And good luck to your future endeavors. Congratulations!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Hi Peter, when did you schedule your exam?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
pretzel wrote:
Hi Peter, when did you schedule your exam?

I took the exam in the last week in June.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Great score Peter!! Congratulations!!! How did you approach the verbal timing, when it comes to pacing in verbal? I always rush on the last 5 questions on the verbal section and it lowers my score. Thank you for sharing your debrief and good luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 345 [1]
Send PM