Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 07:52 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 07:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1104 [49]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GPA: 3.85
WE:Sales (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [8]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [5]
Given Kudos: 45
Schools: CBS '18 (D)
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63680 [0]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Early models of the geography of the metropolis were unicellular: that [#permalink]
Expert Reply

Question 1

UtkarshSinha01 wrote:
Can someone help me with the first question as I am confused between Option D and E. I eventually went for D as it captures more but isn't the essence of the article focusing around the idea of CBDs and their impact on urban growth?

(D) describe two models of metropolitan geography and suggest their limitations

(E) show the importance of the central business district as a focus for urban growth

­To figure out the author's primary purpose, first think through the purpose of each paragraph:

• Paragraph 1: the author describes a similarity between early models of urban geography. These models were "unicellular," meaning they emphasized a single central business district (CBD).
  • Paragraph 2: the author details two of these early models: the concentric-ring model and Homer Hoyt's sector model. These had some key differences, but both focused on a single CBD.
  • Paragraph 3: the author critiques the early models. They are limited by their focus on the CBD. A better, "multicellular" model, would include other specialized centers "away fom the CBD."

Overall, then, the author's purpose is to discuss two early models of urban geography and critique those models.

Which answer choice captures this purpose? Starting with (E):
Quote:
E. show the importance of the central business district as a focus for urban growth

The author actually criticizes the early models for focusing too much on the CBD. So, his/her purpose definitely is not to show how important the CBD is.

(E) is out.

And here's (D):
Quote:
 D. describe two models of metropolitan geography and suggest their limitations

Yup, this fits beautifully with the purpose we outlined above! So (D) is the correct answer to question 1.

I hope that helps!­
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [2]
Send PM
Re: Early models of the geography of the metropolis were unicellular: that [#permalink]
Kudos
The way I solved question 7 was, by focusing on the last para, which clearly mentions that the emerging trend is "the increasing importance of focal points other than the traditional CBD".

(A) the construction in a suburban community of a large shopping mall where many of the local residents do most of their buying: Clearly a new "focal point" is emerging in a suburban community

(B) the opening of an industrial park on the outskirts of a declining older city: Conforms with this sentence in the last para: manufacturing facilities have clustered in specialized centers away from the CBD.

(C) the construction of hospital-medical school complex near a highway fifteen miles from a downtown business district: Clearly a new "focal point" is emerging in a suburban community

(D) the building of a residential development near a suburban tool factory to house the factory workers and their families: Again, a new focal point away from CBD.

(E) the creation of a luxury housing development in a rural setting thirty miles from the center of a city: This is not an "emerging" trend, but something that has been a part of the CBD model, as suggested by the following lines in the passage: high-income groups occupying the outermost ring, in the more spacious, newer residential areas.

Hence, only E does not represent any "emerging trend".
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 122 [2]
Given Kudos: 658
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Re: Early models of the geography of the metropolis were unicellular: that [#permalink]
Kudos
If anybody wonders about Q2, here's my two cents.

2. It can be inferred from the passage that according to a unicellular urban model, law firms are commonly located near the center of a city mainly because
(A) law firms benefit from the proximity to financial and governmental services that a center city location provides
(B) the demand for legal services is too irregular to support many small law firms in the outer districts of the city
(C) law firms require accessibility to the wholesale and retail businesses that provide a major share of their clientele
(D) the high-income groups that make up the primary users of legal services demand easy access to the firms’ offices
(E) the specialized service personnel required by a law firm are often interested in residing as close as possible to the city center

It is fairly easy to eliminate A, D, and C as they are far from what's mentioned in the passage. Between B and C, B is better.

<...> This central business district (CBD) is the source of so-called high-order goods and services, which can most efficiently be provided from a central location rather than from numerous widely dispersed locations. Thus, retailers of infrequently and irregularly purchased goods, such as fur coats, jewelry, and antique furniture, and specialized service outlets, such as theaters, advertising agencies, law firms, and government agencies, will generally be found in the CBD. <...>

Both the concentric-ring model of the metropolis <...> Thus, wholesale and manufacturing firms, which need easy accessibility to the specialized legal, financial, and governmental services provided in the CBD, will normally be located just outside the CBD itself. <...>

As evident in the above, it is clear that C is incorrect because the relationship is the other way around. B is supported by the very idea of efficiency.

If anybody has a better explanation, please share it.

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Hello experts can you please explain the POE for each option in question 6?
TIA
GMATNinja daagh
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 104 [2]
Given Kudos: 105
Send PM
Kudos
tejaswym95 wrote:
Hello experts can you please explain the POE for each option in question 6?
TIA
GMATNinja daagh

If i can help.
Updated model of urban geography mean that centres of industry would not be limited to CBD or residential areas would not be clustered at one position or population growth will not be in certain sector and would not be defined in lower and upper class.
Now lets see which option fits in this.

6. According to the passage, an updated model of urban geography would indicate the
(A) phenomenal growth in population and area of suburban residential districts beyond the limits of the city itself : this can be option in concentric model . Popltn. growth outside city doesn't show urban model dev.
(B) recent decline in the influence of business and industry over the geographical patterns of urban growth : decline of business would not impact any model . Out of scope.
(C) growing importance of urban business and service centers located away from the central business district : This is in line with our above thinking, As normally business centers located in CBD are of prime importance . If now centers outside of city become more popular it means development is shaping away from CBD and urbanization in different pockets is happening . Correct option

(D) clustering of business facilities in recently built areas, while older districts are turned into residential areas : This means just shift of activity, not really any new thing. While older district already has residential areas so it would just be clustering. Incorrect

(E) gradual displacement of older urban centers by new, more highly specialized cities in geographically dispersed locations : Again this is refurbishing model not a urban model of diversification. Incorrect.

Hope it helps.

Kudos if you like it !!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Hi AndrewN GMATNinja

Please share your thoughts on Q2. I am confused among B, C and D.

Quote:
2. It can be inferred from the passage that according to a unicellular urban model, law firms are commonly located near the center of a city mainly because
(A) law firms benefit from the proximity to financial and governmental services that a center city location provides
(B) the demand for legal services is too irregular to support many small law firms in the outer districts of the city
(C) law firms require accessibility to the wholesale and retail businesses that provide a major share of their clientele
(D) the high-income groups that make up the primary users of legal services demand easy access to the firms’ offices
(E) the specialized service personnel required by a law firm are often interested in residing as close as possible to the city center

For C: I reject because wholesale and retail businesses need law services? But The relationship should be mutual as in business Win-win situation , So I liked C
for D: Central has high end business, so o, fcourse firms want to support their key clients by providing easy access to them. Hence I liked D
For B:I Didn't like B because small firms are not mentioned. infrequently and irregularly purchased goods are in the centers. We don't know about other parts of city other than central part.

Kindly suggest.

Thanks!
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6861 [3]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
mSKR wrote:
Hi AndrewN GMATNinja

Please share your thoughts on Q2. I am confused among B, C and D.

Quote:

For C: I reject because wholesale and retail businesses need law services? But The relationship should be mutual as in business Win-win situation , So I liked C
for D: Central has high end business, so o, fcourse firms want to support their key clients by providing easy access to them. Hence I liked D
For B:I Didn't like B because small firms are not mentioned. infrequently and irregularly purchased goods are in the centers. We don't know about other parts of city other than central part.

Kindly suggest.

Thanks!

Hello, mSKR. I have been hesitant to answer some of your questions lately, and before I get to this one, I would like to tell you why. First, I keep telling you to practice or review only official questions for Verbal, and 1000 Series questions, although sometimes labeled as such, prove to be of dubious origin at times, or prove to be incorrect or outdated, not similar to what you would find on the test in its current state. Second, you keep asking about RC questions, my least preferred topic to discuss. When the two considerations come up at the same time, I find myself not wanting to devote too much time or effort to responding. (If I believe in what I advise you to practice/review, then why would I keep rewarding you for going against that advice?) Please keep these thoughts in mind before tagging me on an unofficial RC question (or at least unconfirmed as such).

That said, the part of the passage we are concerned with to answer the second question is the first paragraph, particularly the lines sandwiched in the middle:

This central business district (CBD) is the source of so-called high-order goods and services, which can most efficiently be provided from a central location rather than from numerous widely dispersed locations. Thus, retailers of infrequently and irregularly purchased goods, such as fur coats, jewelry, and antique furniture, and specialized service outlets, such as theaters, advertising agencies, law firms, and government agencies, will generally be found in the CBD.

The last line of the paragraph adds information about small businesses in general:

By contrast, less costly, more frequently demanded goods, such as groceries and housewares, and low-order services, such as shoe repair and hairdressing, will be available at many small, widely scattered outlets throughout the metropolis.

When we put the two pieces of information together, we get irregular demand and a reason for law firms to be centrally located as opposed to being smaller and widely scattered... throughout the metropolis. Thus, (B) looks like a reasonable answer.

Choice (C) makes it sound as if law firms are seeking out clients in wholesale and retail businesses, but those businesses just happen to be located in the CBD for a similar reason as law firms are: efficiency.

Choice (D) is too extreme, telling us what, apparently, the primary users of legal services demand. We get no insight into the mindset of the clientele. The demand of the passage is more a reference to a supply-and-demand economic process.

I hope this helps you in your studies. I will say this one last time: stick to official—confirmed—material, the later the better. If you have somehow managed to exhaust all the OG RC questions from the past five years, then do them again and spend more time seeking to disqualify the wrong answers. Such review will help you much more than solving 100 new RC questions from older tests or third-party sources.

- Andrew
ISB & IIM Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V36
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Hi Experts

GMATNinja @VeritasKarishma EducationAisle ChrisLele mikemcgarry AjiteshArun egmat sayantanc2k RonPurewal DmitryFarber MagooshExpert avigutman EMPOWERgmatVerbal MartyTargetTestPrep ExpertsGlobal5 IanStewart
other experts AnthonyRitz

Can someone please explain question 7 , how the answer is E

According to last Para - Markets are moving away from the CBD and in option E it's mention that housing development moves 30 miles away from the centre of the city. So how the ans is E

I marked Ans as C because in this option it's talking about Downtown and not about CBD.

Can someone please explain
Thanks
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30804 [2]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Early models of the geography of the metropolis were unicellular: that [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Vatsal7794 wrote:
Hi Experts

Can someone please explain question 7 , how the answer is E

According to last Para - Markets are moving away from the CBD and in option E it's mention that housing development moves 30 miles away from the centre of the city. So how the ans is E

I marked Ans as C because in this option it's talking about Downtown and not about CBD.

Can someone please explain
Thanks

Hey Vatsal7794,

Happy to help.

Quote:
Although Hoyt’s model undoubtedly represented an advance in sophistication over the simpler concentric-ring model, neither model fully accounts for the increasing importance of focal points other than the traditional CBD. Recent years have witnessed the establishment around older cities of secondary nuclei centered on suburban business districts. In other cases, particular kinds of goods, services, and manufacturing facilities have clustered in specialized centers away from the CBD, encouraging the development of particular housing patterns in the adjacent areas. A new multicellular model of metropolitan geography is needed to express these and other emerging trends of urban growth.

The last paragraph talks about the need for a new "multicellular model" of metropolitan geography. "Multicellular" here means multi-nuclear. And multi-nuclear means having more than one focal point.

In the highlighted portions above, you'll see that a focal point is defined as goods, services, and manufacturing facilities clustered in specialized centers away from the CBD. It is around such new focal points that housing societies develop to house the people who work at or trade with the establishments in that focal point.

Now, let's read the question stem carefully:
    All of the following are examples of the emerging trends of urban growth described in the last paragraph of the passage EXCEPT...

Pre-thinking:
We're looking to identify among the choices the one that's not an example of such a new focal point developed away from the CBD.

Answer Choice Analysis and Process of Elimination:
  1. the construction in a suburban community of a large shopping mall where many of the local residents do most of their buying
      Suburban means away from the CBD. And "a large shopping mall where many of the local (nearby) residents do most of their buying" fits the definition of a new focal point. Eliminate.
  2. the opening of an industrial park on the outskirts of a declining older city
      Outskirts means away from the CBD. And "an industrial park" fits the definition of a focal point. The phrase "declining older city" is a bit of a distractor, but even this has been mentioned in the last paragraph. The fact that the CBD lies in an older city suggests that a new housing society is likely to develop around this new focal point. Eliminate.
  3. the construction of hospital-medical school complex near a highway fifteen miles from a downtown business district
      "Fifteen miles from a downtown business district" means away from the CBD. "Downtown business district" is just another expression for "the central part or main business and commercial area of a town or city". And, "hospital-medical school complex" fits the definition of a focal point. The students, teachers, and staff of the medical school and the patients of the hospital would constitute a significant percentage of the population local to this new focal point. Eliminate.
  4. the building of a residential development near a suburban tool factory to house the factory workers and their families
      "Suburban tool factory" fits the definition of a new focal point, just like each of the examples above. Eliminate.
  5. the creation of a luxury housing development in a rural setting thirty miles from the center of a city
      Although this choice mentions a "luxury housing development in a rural setting away from the center of a city", it says nothing about a new focal point. It is likely that the people who will reside here will commute daily to the center of that city (the CBD). These people will probably live here to get away from the hustle bustle of the CBD, especially since they can afford to travel this far daily. For this choice to have been a valid example, it must have mentioned a new focal point. Since that's missing, we can safely select choice E.

I hope this answers your question satisfactorily. Feel free to revert for further clarification, if required.

Happy Learning!

Abhishek
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 925 [2]
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51

Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
I'll try to provide a summary answer for each question.

Let's start in the usual way for RC: go through the passage to create short, high-level summary notes.
One major purpose of the resulting outline is to help us predict the answers to big-picture (whole-passage) questions, so, we don't want to include anything that's too finely detailed to reasonably factor into one of the whole-passage questions.

¶1:
Old models of city: "Unicellular"
• CBD in middle: High order goods/svcs
• Cheaper basic goods/svcs: Outside CBD

¶2:
Two versions of the unicellular model
—Concentric rings: Whsle/mfg just outside CBD, homes further out
—Sectors: E/S/N/W "sides" homogeneous

¶3:
Metro areas with multiple 'cells'/centers
—New models needed

Question 1 is a big-picture question:
Quote:
1. The primary purpose of the passage is to

The short outline of notes above will help us answer this one. Let's go through the answer choices and check them against the outline—keeping in mind that the correct answer should cover MOST (but not necessarily all) the notes, and EVERYTHING IN IT MUST BE SUPPORTED BY THE TEXT.

Quote:
(A) explain the significance of Hoyt’s concept of directional inertia and its effect on patterns of urban growth

This concept is used only in the 'sectors' model, which takes up just a fraction of ¶2. It's relevant to far too little of the text to represent a 'primary' idea or purpose.

Quote:
(B) emphasize the inadequacy of past attempts to explain patterns of urban geography

Only in ¶3—the very short final paragraph—do we encounter the idea that the unicellular models are not good enough alone, and need to be supplemented with multicellular models.
Most of the passage is dedicated to explaining the unicellular models in depth, without yet discussing how they're ultimately too simplistic.

Quote:
(C) analyze two varying theories concerning the distribution of residential areas within and around the metropolis

Residential areas are just one of many different types of entities whose locations are discussed with respect to each of the 2 models in ¶2. In other words, this is one specific set of details, not any sort of general summary.

Quote:
(D) describe two models of metropolitan geography and suggest their limitations

This one works.

• The entirety of ¶2—which constitutes the bulk of the passage by itself—is spent explaining the two unicellular models in detail, after a brief but necessary introduction to the notion of a unicellular metro area is given as ¶1.
• ¶3 then explains that unicellular models are too simplistic to model metro areas with more than one CBD-type center, and that more complex models are thus needed. This is a limitation on the usefulness of models such as those in ¶1-2.

Winner!

Quote:
(E) show the importance of the central business district as a focus for urban growth

Growth is a detail that is explicitly mentioned only once (in the middle of ¶2). Furthermore, growth is discussed in terms of the farther-flung parts of a metro area that radiate outward from the CBD—i.e., in terms of everything BUT the CBD itself.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 925 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
Quote:

Like other questions containing "INFER"/"IMPLY"/"SUGGEST", this one calls for an answer that, while rigorously encompassed within the relevant ideas from the passage text, will NOT directly repeat a single fact from the text. Instead, we'll either have to make a connection between specifics from two different sentences, or else we'll have to take one sentence and perform some sort of logical transformation on it (producing an equivalent, but not identical, phrasing).

The relevant facts here are
• whatever the passage says about law firms
AND/OR
• whatever the passage says in general about entities located in the CBD.

The only thing the passage says about law firms is that they are...
...specialized service outlets.

About everything in the CBD, the passage says that those entities...
...can most efficiently be provided from a central location rather than from numerous widely dispersed locations

Let's look for an answer choice that 'shuffles' and restates these ideas.

Quote:

The passage does not say this about entities located in the CBD. (In fact, this choice misappropriates a detail given in ¶2 about a different set of entities—namely, about those located just outside the CBD.)

Quote:

"Services" comes from this part.

This part is effectively a restatement of the "more efficiently provided..." fact about all CBD business entities.
(This part is somewhat problematic in that it's a stronger statement than what's actually given in the passage: "less efficient" doesn't necessarily add up all the way to "not supportable due to inefficiency". The present-day GMAT wouldn't play fast and loose like this, but the Paper Tests—which are 25 or more years old—are not as carefully held to rigorous standards. Still, the other four answers are just flat-out WRONG, so there's no question that this one is the correct answer.)

Winner here (albeit an imperfect one by current GMAT standards).

Quote:

This does not reflect the content of either of the two color-coded statements above. It's not supported.

You can also rule out this choice by pure everyday common sense: The business of law firms obviously does not focus on buying or selling retail goods, so this answer can't possibly reflect anything that actually happens in the real world.

Quote:

The relevant facts (color-coded above) contain nothing about high-income groups or the locations that are convenient for them.

Quote:

The question is about where law firms' offices are located. It has nothing to do with where the lawyers live.
Tutor

Send PM
Expert Reply
Quote:
3. According to the concentric-ring model, in which of the following orders (from the center of the city outward) would the areas of the typical city be arranged?

Quote:
(A) central business district, low-income housing, wholesale and manufacturing businesses, high-income housing
(B) central business district, wholesale and manufacturing businesses, low-income housing, high-income housing
(C) wholesale and manufacturing businesses, central business district, low-income housing, high-income housing
(D) central business district, high-income housing, wholesale and manufacturing businesses, low-income housing
(E) wholesale and manufacturing businesses, low-income housing, central business district, high-income housing

"ACCORDING TO..." means that we're going to use stated facts from the text DIRECTLY. The different answer choices put the same entities in five different orders from the center outward, so, one of them should accurately reflect the actual order described in the text and the other four should contradict it.

The concentric-ring model is in the first part of ¶2.

The CENTRAL business district is, of course, at the center. As plain as this is (the entire first paragraph is spent explaining what's there!), there are nonetheless two choices that don't put the CBD at the center! Bye, C and E.

Next would be JUST OUTSIDE the CBD. That's described here:
Thus, wholesale and manufacturing firms, which need easy accessibility to the specialized legal, financial, and governmental services provided in the CBD, will normally be located just outside the CBD itself

Only choice B has these businesses as the next immediate ring outside the CBD. We're done; it's B. (In REVIEWING this problem, it's a worthwhile exercise to verify the rest of the information in choice B. Under actual test pacing, though, we should pick B right now and immediately move on to the next problem.)
Tutor

Send PM
Expert Reply
Quote:
4. According to the passage, the sector model differs from the concentric-ring model primarily in that it

"ACCORDING TO..." tells us that the correct answer should reproduce something that the passage says directly.

The concentric-ring model and the sectors model occupy the first and second halves, respectively, of ¶2. The most likely place for an explicit statement of the DIFFERENCE(S) between them, therefore, is at the transition point between the two—so, about midway through ¶2.

Here's the transition from the concentric-rings model into the sectors model:
Homer Hoyt’s sector model is a modified version of the concentric-ring model. Recognizing the influence of early established patterns of geographic distribution on the later growth of the city, Hoyt developed the concept of directional inertia. According to Hoyt, custom and social pressures tend to perpetuate locational patterns within the city

The correct answer, therefore, should restate one of the 3 specifics that we find here:
recognizes the influence of early established patterns of geographic distribution
uses the idea of "directional inertia" (NOTE: this is less likely to form the correct answer than the other two; the GMAT generally recycles ideas, NOT jargon, in these types of problems).
• models the effects of customs and social pressures on city geography

Let's look for these in the choices.

Quote:
(A) stresses the role of topographic features in determining patterns of urban development

This is not one of the specifics above.

Quote:
(B) emphasizes the continuing expansion of the city as an influence on urban development

Quote:
(C) recognizes the importance of focal points of urban growth other than the traditional central business district

This is not one of the specifics above. (This part is misappropriated from ¶3, which identifies it as something that neither of the two models in ¶2 is able to represent adequately.)

Quote:
(D) assumes that the need for access to the central business district is the main determinant of urban developmental patterns

Quote:
(E) takes into account the influence of certain social factors on urban geographical patterns

This is the third and last of the three specifics above. Winner.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 925 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Quote:
5. The passage states that both the concentric-ring model and the sector model

"The passage STATES that..." is another prompt that calls for a restatement of something that the passage says explicitly.

We need something that these two models HAVE IN COMMON.

Both models are built around the concept of the CBD presented in ¶1. You might think, therefore, that the specific details of the CBD model in ¶1 could be used in a correct answer here.
...Nope. The problem with trying to use specs from ¶1 is that the two named models haven't been presented yet (that happens in ¶2)—so, nothing in ¶1 is EXPLICITLY STATED AS a common element of the two named models, as required by the problem statement.

¶2 is dedicated to the uniquely distinguishing features of each of the two models—in other words, to exactly those elements that the two models DON'T have in common. So we're not going to find our correct answer in ¶2, either.

The correct answer MUST, therefore, be one of the common shortcomings/deficiencies of both models, as presented in ¶3.
So, let's march through the choices and check them against ¶3 to see which one faithfully restates something that's stated about the two named models.

Quote:
(A) inadequately represent the forms of urban development emerging in today’s cities

¶3 tells us how neither of the two named models can encompass metro-area geographies that have more than one CBD-type 'focus' / commercial 'center'. The closing sentence makes it absolutely clear that this isn't something that can be fixed just by tweaking the two named models, either—we're going to need an entirely new type of model:
a new multicellular model of metropolitan geography is needed to express these and other emerging trends of urban growth.

In other words, neither of the two named models from ¶2 can be adapted to these "emerging" trends from "recent years" (i.e., CURRENT-DAY trends). This choice is thus supported completely.

Quote:
(B) need to be considerably refined to be of real use to students of urban growth

As discussed under choice A, ¶3 specifically tells us that it WON'T be good enough just to 'refine' either of the two existing unicellular models—we're going to have to throw those out and make a new model altogether.

There's also no justification for narrowing the models' utility to students, or for any other more specialized group.

Quote:
(C) have been superseded by more recently developed models of urban growth

¶3 says that this will NEED to happen, but that no such model yet exists ("a new model ... is needed"). This answer choice erroneously states that the required new model has already been (recently) developed, directly contradicting what the passage says.

Quote:
(D) represent older cities more accurately than they do newly founded metropolitan areas

No "newly founded metro areas" are discussed. The newer, more complex types of urbanization in ¶3—the ones that require a brand-new model to represent them adequately—are forming AROUND OLDER CITIES, as we're told about halfway through the paragraph.

Quote:
(E) fail to explain the rapid outward growth of cities that has occurred in recent years

"Outward growth" is not mentioned anywhere in ¶3. The new, more complex, multi-focal patterns of urbanization involve clustering around "suburban business districts" "around older cities"—which are pre-existing, not new-growth areas.

(The only mention of growth in the passage is about the "urban expansion" modeled by the concentric-rings model, in which new residential areas for more affluent people were built increasingly far away from the center city.)
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 925 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Quote:
6. According to the passage, an updated model of urban geography would indicate the

Once again we have an "ACCORDING TO..." question, which calls for a restatement of what the passage already says explicitly.

Having just done problem #5, we know that the requirements for a new/updated model are laid out in ¶3. Let's go collect them.

There are two types of phenomena that the existing (unicellular) named models can't adequately represent, as told in ¶3:

• secondary nuclei centered on suburban business districts, around older cities
• specialized centers away from the CBD, with particular housing patterns nearby

The correct answer will just say one of these two things again—maybe in largely similar words, maybe in different words.
To the choices we go.

Quote:
(A) phenomenal growth in population and area of suburban residential districts beyond the limits of the city itself

This is not one of the two items above.

Quote:
(B) recent decline in the influence of business and industry over the geographical patterns of urban growth

Quote:
(C) growing importance of urban business and service centers located away from the central business district

This is the second bullet point above. Winner!

Quote:
(D) clustering of business facilities in recently built areas, while older districts are turned into residential areas

Quote:
(E) gradual displacement of older urban centers by new, more highly specialized cities in geographically dispersed locations

Tutor

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Quote:
7. All of the following are examples of the emerging trends of urban growth described in the last paragraph of the passage EXCEPT

Conveniently, these trends are precisely the two bullet points that were potential correct answers to the previous problem (#6). Those are:
• secondary nuclei centered on suburban business districts, around older cities
• specialized centers away from the CBD, with particular housing patterns nearby

This is a negative-space question (phrased with "EXCEPT"), so we want the one answer that DOESN'T adequately satisfy the prompt.
In other words,
• 4 choices will be specific examples of one of the two bullet points above;
• 1 choice won't be an example of either.
We want the 1 choice that's not an example of either bullet point.

To the choices:

Quote:
(A) the construction in a suburban community of a large shopping mall where many of the local residents do most of their buying

This is an example of a suburban business district—the first bullet point above.

Quote:
(B) the opening of an industrial park on the outskirts of a declining older city

This is an example of a specialized center away from the CBD—the second bullet point above.

Quote:
(C) the construction of hospital-medical school complex near a highway fifteen miles from a downtown business district

This is another example of a specialized center away from the CBD—the second bullet point above.

Quote:
(D) the building of a residential development near a suburban tool factory to house the factory workers and their families

This is an example of a specialized center away from the CBD, with related patterns of housing nearby—the entire second bullet point above.

Quote:
(E) the creation of a luxury housing development in a rural setting thirty miles from the center of a city

A RURAL setting is neither of the two bullet points above, so this is the answer we want.
Tutor

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Quote:
8. Which of the following best describes the organization of the last paragraph of the passage?

Let's return to the outline we made under problem #1 and pull out the notes on ¶3, which should be well suited to forming a prediction of the answer here.

Those notes:

¶3:
Metro areas with multiple 'cells'/centers
—New models needed

The first of these is just specs right now. It's not the specs so much as their significance in context that's important here, so let's quickly contextualize that first piece:

¶3:
Metro areas with multiple 'cells'/centers = neither of the models in ¶2 can do this
—New models needed

There's our organization. ¶3 describes more recent phenomena that's beyond the capabilities of either model, and, on that basis, declares that a newer, more complex model is needed to represent those phenomena.

To the choices!

Quote:
(A) It summarizes the information presented in the first three paragraphs and draws some conclusions.

Nope. ("The first three ¶s" is especially weird, given that there are only two preceding ¶s. Oh well, LOL)

Quote:
(B) It outlines a new model, applies it to recent phenomena, and argues in favor of its adoption.

Nope. The new model is needed, but doesn't exist yet.

Quote:
(C) It introduces no evidence in support of an existing model.

You can't summarize a paragraph or passage by saying what it DOESN'T do. (There are billions of things this paragraph doesn't do! Also, this answer choice could just as well describe a blank screen with no words at all... How silly.)

Quote:
(D) It evaluates two models in the light of recent evidence and advocates the development of a third model.

This is what's predicted above.

There's just one difference: this choice uses the more general phrasing "evaluates two models" (potentially covering any possible pair/set of value judgments, anywhere from all-positive to all-critical) for the part explaining why neither model is good enough.
This type of substitution, in which a specific fact is replaced with broader, categorical language for a whole range of possibilities including that specific fact, is VERY common on this exam; please train yourself to identify it.

Quote:
(E) It compares one model unfavorably with another and develops the comparison by citing examples.

Nope. Both existing models are losers in ¶3; we don't have one winner and one loser as this choice implies.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts