Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 08:00 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 458 [62]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1807 [20]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [4]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: It is unclear whether chimpanzees are unique among nonhuman [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Clear E

If is used to present a condition. Whether is used to when there are alternatives available (often with yes or no as answer)

So A and B are ruled out right away. C is also wrong as would has been incorrectly used.

D is passive, "studied with" is incorrect

So E
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3224 [2]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
It is unclear whether chimpanzees are unique...........or whether other animals would exhibit similar patterns --> parallel

It is unclear whether chimpanzees are unique among nonhuman species in their ability to learn behaviors from one another, or if, when other animals are studied in as much depth, similar patterns would be found.

A. if, when other animals are studied in as much depth, similar patterns would be found - if, when awkward
B. if other animals were studied with as much depth they would exhibit similar patterns - passive
C. would similar patterns be found in other animals if they were studied in as much depth - awkward
D. whether similar patterns would be exhibited in other animals that were studied with as much depth - passive
E. whether other animals would exhibit similar patterns if they were studied in as much depth - CORRECT
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1807 [3]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Oops almost forgot! Regarding the pronoun ambiguity Hussain15 mentioned--there is a little bit of wiggle room in terms of pronoun ambiguity on the GMAT. You want to stay as clear as possible, but here the power of parallelism not only dictates the structure of "whether chimpanzees...or whether other animals," but also points us in the right direction in terms of the antecedent for "they." "They" is in the subject position for its conditional clause ("THEY were studied")--the antecedent for "they" is also in the subject position ("OTHER ANIMALS would exhibit").
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 89 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
It is unclear whether chimpanzees are unique among nonhuman species in their ability to learn behaviors from one another, or if, when other animals are studied in as much depth, similar patterns would be found.

whether chimpanzees are unique or whether .......
whether should be used to make both parts parallel.
So A, B, and C are out

D. whether similar patterns would be exhibited in other animals that were studied with as much depth - Incorrect. Parallelism issue and passive voice seems to indicate that similar patterns would be exhibited in other animals by someone.

E. whether other animals would exhibit similar patterns if they were studied in as much depth - Correct
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [3]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks

Split #1: Structure: It is unclear WHETHER ........... or WHETHER............
So, A, B, and C are out because they do not maintain parallel structure that is considered very important in GMAT. Please note that GMAT tests your logic and structure more than vocabulary.
A. if, when other animals are studied in as much depth, similar patterns would be found --> WRONG.
B. if other animals were studied with as much depth they would exhibit similar patterns --> WRONG.
C. would similar patterns be found in other animals if they were studied in as much depth --> WRONG.

Split #2: idiom: study in depth -OR- study with depth.
Definitely, the former is correct. It's awkward if you say "study something with depth".
Please note that: passive voice is NOT a true reason to eliminate options in GMAT. In fact, GMAT often tricks you by adding some subtle errors in active voice sentences.
D. whether similar patterns would be exhibited in other animals that were studied with as much depth --> WRONG.
E. whether other animals would exhibit similar patterns if they were studied in as much depth --> CORRECT.

Hope it helps.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
Indeed, the usage of if vs whether is key to solving this question.

if is used for a conditional sentence, whereas whether is used when the intent is to depict a choice, an alternative or a possibility.

An example:

If the currency depreciates, exports receive a boost.
– This sentence has a conditional event being narrated and hence, the usage of if is appropriate.

After two successive cycles of recession, the question is whether the economy will finally improve.
– This sentence expresses uncertainty vis-à-vis economy’s fate, with two possible outcomes: Economy may or may not improve.

By the way, while it is not the case in this sentence, a handy recommendation is that when deciding on the usage of if/whether after a verb (for example, is) or a preposition, the usage of whether is appropriate (the question is whether....).

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses if vs whether, their application and examples in significant detail. If you can PM you email-id, I can send you the corresponding section.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 938 [3]
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GRE 1: Q170 V167
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
nitinneha wrote:

(A) if, when other animals are studied in as much depth, similar patterns would be found.
(B) if other animals were studied with as much depth they would exhibit similar patterns.
(C) would similar patterns be found in other animals if they were studied in as much depth.
(D) whether similar patterns would be exhibited in other animals that were studied with as much depth.
(E) whether other animals would exhibit similar patterns if they were studied in as much depth.

The correct answer is E

This question highlights the difference between "if" and "whether." "If" can only be used to state a conditional; "whether" is used to indicate uncertainty about two or more possible scenarios.

A. Incorrect use of "if." Also the verb "would" is incorrect given the present tense "animals are studied"; in this case it would need to be in the future tense, i.e. "will."
B. Incorrect use of "if." Incorrect idiom "with" depth.
C. No word to indicate the uncertainty; the sentence requires "whether" to indicate the other scenario.
D. Incorrect idiom "with" depth. Incorrect comparison between chimpanzees and similar patterns. Also wordy.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Known idiom: Whether A or B

I choose B because I applied idiom whether A or B
Whether A or B ( ,if); B with the condition as in following example:

Quote:

i read it as :
It is unclear whether chimpanzees are unique among nonhuman species in their ability to learn behaviors from one another, OR they(other animals) would exhibit similar patterns, if other animals were studied with as much depth

Shall I say the sentence construction is wrong beause A and B are clauses , NOT PHRASES ?

Example:
It is unclear whether clothes of shop A are unique or shop B has similar clothes, if Shop B is studied in details.

So the correct structure should be :
It is unclear whether clothes of shop A are unique or that of shop B, if Shop B is studied in details.
OR
It is unclear whether clothes of shop A are unique or whether shop B has similar clothes, if Shop B is studied in details.

Hence,
It is unclear whether chimpanzees are unique among nonhuman species in their ability to learn behaviors from one another, OR WHETHER they(other animals) would exhibit similar patterns, if other animals were studied with as much depth.

So , it means whether A or whether B is also correct idiom.

please confirm the thought. EducationAisle AjiteshArun AndrewN ( you changed your profile name :D )
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
imSKR wrote:
Known idiom: Whether A or B

I choose B because I applied idiom whether A or B
Whether A or B ( ,if); B with the condition as in following example:

Quote:

i read it as :
It is unclear whether chimpanzees are unique among nonhuman species in their ability to learn behaviors from one another, OR they(other animals) would exhibit similar patterns, if other animals were studied with as much depth

Shall I say the sentence construction is wrong beause A and B are clauses , NOT PHRASES ?

Example:
It is unclear whether clothes of shop A are unique or shop B has similar clothes, if Shop B is studied in details.

So the correct structure should be :
It is unclear whether clothes of shop A are unique or that of shop B, if Shop B is studied in details.
OR
It is unclear whether clothes of shop A are unique or whether shop B has similar clothes, if Shop B is studied in details.

Hence,
It is unclear whether chimpanzees are unique among nonhuman species in their ability to learn behaviors from one another, OR WHETHER they(other animals) would exhibit similar patterns, if other animals were studied with as much depth.

So , it means whether A or whether B is also correct idiom.

please confirm the thought. EducationAisle AjiteshArun AndrewN ( you changed your profile name :D )

Hello, imSKR. I did indeed change my profile name. I no longer wish to associate my activities on this site with my business. When I say I do this for fun to assist the community, I want to put my money where my mouth is. Perhaps reaching 1,000 posts under my former alias made me feel comfortable with making a clean break. I will continue to provide answers I think are worth reading.

Looking at your analysis, I agree with the bottom line: whether A or... whether B is indeed an acceptable idiom. Such usage holds particularly when the distance between A and B increases—i.e. there are more words and/or punctuation, which might make the sentence more difficult to understand without a reminder. I see the issue as falling into a similar camp as the comma + "and" + phrase usage, or indeed as the [ranging] from A, to B usage (note the comma), both of which once again crop up in a perfectly legitimate manner when dealing with lengthier phrases and clauses between points A and B.

Meanwhile, "whether" + "if" is a common if unidiomatic way of expressing the two sides of the coin. In your proposed correct structure sentences, only the second would work. The other would still need work.

To fix the sentence, we would need something more like the following:

It is unclear whether the clothes of Shop A are unique or are similar to those of Shop B, if Shop B were studied in detail.

That is a tough sentence to construct, not one that I would expect to appear on the GMAT™. You might think that it falls into shaky "whether" + "if" territory, but the those of precludes a second whether they. If you used both, you would create a redundancy. The sentence structure, within the details, now appears different from that of the original sentence: placeholder + verb + predicate ("whether" + noun + verb + modifier A + "or" + modifier B + conditional "if" clause).

I hope that helps. Thank you for taking the time to look me up. As always, best of luck with your studies.

- Andrew
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 122 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
Send PM

(A) if, when other animals are studied in as much depth, similar patterns would be found.
(B) if other animals were studied with as much depth they would exhibit similar patterns.
(C) would similar patterns be found in other animals if they were studied in as much depth.
(D) whether similar patterns would be exhibited in other animals that were studied with as much depth.
(E) whether other animals would exhibit similar patterns if they were studied in as much depth.
AndrewN

How could we eliminate option B? i couldn't find any error other than the wrong preposition with depth.Please help.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
sonusaini1 wrote:

AndrewN

How could we eliminate option B? i couldn't find any error other than the wrong preposition with depth.Please help.

Hello, sonusaini1. Option (B) has a few problems, the first of which begins the entire answer choice, if. Since whether appears earlier in the sentence, we need to look for a parallel whether later in the sentence: whether A or [whether] B. That is, the second whether is not always explicit in the sentence, but it does appear when dealing with lengthier phrases or clauses between the two entities. For instance, we could say, It is unclear whether John or Jim took the cookie. There is a tight enough space between the two people named that the whether is understood to apply to both. In any case, we cannot pair whether and if, so (B) is already out.

Another issue, as you have already pointed out, is the with in studied with as much depth. The preposition should be in instead. Putting the two together, we have a sub-optimal choice against either (D) or (E) that fix the initial error. Yes, there is pronoun ambiguity in (E), but they can be understood to refer back to animals rather than patterns.

I hope that helps. Thank you for thinking to ask me, and good luck with your studies.

- Andrew
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 704
Send PM
nitinneha wrote:

"...whether or whether" parallelism - keep (D) and (E)

Worse than (E) for the following reasons:
1) Passive
2) "studied with depth" = wrong idiom
3) "animals that were studied" = can be interpreted as hypothetical

1) Okay for "whether ... if" in the same clause
2) "studied in depth" = correct idiom
3) active

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 256
GRE 1: Q163 V157
Send PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but i have eliminated all other options by the clever method method told by none other than GMATNinja which is just by replacing the actual words in the place if or they in the sentence and just like that i got to the answer in 30 seconds
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
Hi there,

in option B

''if'' really a problem here?

''animals studied with as much depth'': Isn't the meaning clear here?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
Hi,
I am trying to understand the structure "Whether X or Whether Y" in the correct option. Isn't it true that the double "whether" used in the correct choice is redundant? I thought in choice B, the sentence structure is something like this "It is unclear whether C...., or (if modifier) they would..
I understand "they" is ambiguous here, but thought it should refer to "other animals" logically.
I would appreciate some expert advice.|
My major concern is:
a. Is a "whether X or whether Y" construction correct and not redundant?
b. Can the "if phrase" in choice B act as a modifier?

thanks and cheers!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [2]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos