Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 10:17 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 10:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619434 [25]
Given Kudos: 81611
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Life
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [8]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GPA: 4
WE:Brand Management (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [2]
Given Kudos: 75
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 214
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V29
Send PM
Re: To classify a wok of art as truly great, it is necessary that the wok [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
To classify a work of art as truly great, it is necessary that the wok have both originality and far-reaching influence upon the artistic community.

The principle above, if valid, most strongly supports which one of the following arguments?

(A) By breaking down traditional schemes of representation, Picasso redefined painting. It is this extreme originality that warrants his work being considered truly great.

(B) Some of the most original art being produced today is found in isolated communities, but because of this isolation these works have only minor influence, and hence cannot be considered truly great.

(C) Certain examples of the drumming practiced in parts of Africa’s west coast employ a musical vocabulary that resists representation in Western notational schemes. This tremendous originality, coupled with the profound impact these pieces are having on musicians everywhere, is enough to consider these works to be truly great.

(D) The piece of art in the lobby is clearly not classified as truly great, so it follows that it fails to be original.

(E) Since Bach’s music is truly great, it not only has both originality and a major influence on musicians, it has broad popular appeal as well.

Could you please explain what is wrong with c as it has both originality and profound impact on musicians every where.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 214
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V29
Send PM
Re: To classify a wok of art as truly great, it is necessary that the wok [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
To classify a work of art as truly great, it is necessary that the wok have both originality and far-reaching influence upon the artistic community.

The principle above, if valid, most strongly supports which one of the following arguments?

(A) By breaking down traditional schemes of representation, Picasso redefined painting. It is this extreme originality that warrants his work being considered truly great.

(B) Some of the most original art being produced today is found in isolated communities, but because of this isolation these works have only minor influence, and hence cannot be considered truly great.

(C) Certain examples of the drumming practiced in parts of Africa’s west coast employ a musical vocabulary that resists representation in Western notational schemes. This tremendous originality, coupled with the profound impact these pieces are having on musicians everywhere, is enough to consider these works to be truly great.

(D) The piece of art in the lobby is clearly not classified as truly great, so it follows that it fails to be original.

(E) Since Bach’s music is truly great, it not only has both originality and a major influence on musicians, it has broad popular appeal as well.

Could you please explain what is wrong with c as it has both originality and profound impact on musicians every where.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [2]
Given Kudos: 138
GMAT 1: 790 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q167 V163
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
robu1 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Hi. The third answer is very appealing because it contains the words originality and the mention of profound impact. However, there is no guarantee that "resisting representation in Western notational schemes" means originality. It doesn't mention if the musical vocabulary borrows from somewhere other than the west. Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Kudos
I am not at all satisfied with the explanation.In order to make the option c Incorrect we are giving any reasioning.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [2]
Given Kudos: 157
GMAT Focus 1:
685 Q90 V82 DI80
Send PM
Kudos
robu1 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

for a work of art to be classified as truly great, the work should have

1- Originality
2- far-reaching influence upon the artistic community.

There may be some mandatory criterion that are required to classify a work as truly great.
Therefore, it is not necessary to classify a work of art as truly great if work meets the above two criterion.

In option C, drumming practiced in parts of Africa’s west coast meets both the above two criterion. But it may fail to meet some other mandatory criterion for which we do not have any information. Therefore, option C is incorrect.

Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 970
Send PM