Last visit was: 17 May 2024, 21:41 It is currently 17 May 2024, 21:41
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Which options describe you

You may select up to 3 options
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 309 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Re: Indian Admits -Room! [#permalink]
You can apply this year but you might not be able to do so the next two years. I believe that you can only have a H1 or a F1. So since you will be in school, you cannot have a H1 and a F1. Basically, I will be putting my H1 on hold for 2 years and getting back to it later.

pandeyrav wrote:
dosa_don wrote:
But you should have no problems right? You are getting your GC :)

On a different note: If we are on a H1 now, I heard we do not need to go through the quota when we graduate and that we will just finish up your 6 yrs. So, I would have finished up 4 yrs of my H1 when I matriculate this fall, so when I graduate in 2010, I would still have 2 more years of my H1 left and I just need a COS. I have heard conflicting reports about that. Anyone have any idea?

if that is possible, one should apply each year starting this one. If one gets the draw of luck, they can just use the H1 after they graduate. trying 3 times would give better odds than one. i would be very interested to know if this is possible.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Technology Management
Schools:Fuqua, Anderson, Johnson, Ross
Send PM
dosa_don - I still think the company needs to be willing to sponsor the H-1 visa and file an application on your behalf. You're right about having 2 years left on your H-1 visa. If you have spent significant time outside the US, you can reclaim that too by filing a form with USCIS.

Two of my friends joined Columbia with around 1-2 years left on their H-1. The 1st year guy is recruiting for IB internships and has a few good offers too. He said that IB recruiting for 2nd years is slightly down from the usual. Supposedly, IBs have been suggesting students to consider internships in the EU/Asia region considering the slowdown in the US economy.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
dosa_don wrote:
You can apply this year but you might not be able to do so the next two years. I believe that you can only have a H1 or a F1. So since you will be in school, you cannot have a H1 and a F1. Basically, I will be putting my H1 on hold for 2 years and getting back to it later.

hmm .. in that case, i should get cracking on finding couple of nice companies that would file for me without asking for any money :)
Current Student
Send PM
svrider- yes, the company has to be willing to sponsor for sure. BUT, if things dont improve, the quota could be a bigger issue as even if you are lucky to get a job, you could get bumped off the lottery.

I dont mind EU/Asia for a couple of years at all :)

svrider wrote:
dosa_don - I still think the company needs to be willing to sponsor the H-1 visa and file an application on your behalf. You're right about having 2 years left on your H-1 visa. If you have spent significant time outside the US, you can reclaim that too by filing a form with USCIS.

Two of my friends joined Columbia with around 1-2 years left on their H-1. The 1st year guy is recruiting for IB internships and has a few good offers too. He said that IB recruiting for 2nd years is slightly down from the usual. Supposedly, IBs have been suggesting students to consider internships in the EU/Asia region considering the slowdown in the US economy.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
If we have held H1 B for a couple of years n go chase our MBA dreams in Europle/Asia, will we need to file a new H1 B if we have to work in US?

It imprinted in my head that after a year out of US and after H1 B expiration, we wud have a chance of working for 6 yrs on H1b again.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Hi NC,
I am a newbee and am quite impressed by your commitment and profile.
I need your inputs on few points to start with:
1. How far can Official guide take you? Do we need additional material to study.
2. Considering this is mid Feb, when can I target GMAT exam to count for 2009 session.
Current Student
Send PM
I think OG is a good start. For Sentence Correction and for basic math concepts, the Manhattan GMAT series of books are pretty good. Oficial guide(OG) by itself is insufficient from an exam stand point. How long you need to prepare really depends on what level you are at, right now. Take the diagnostic test in the OG book and see where you stand. Study at a steady pace and dont take extended breaks while studying. If you dont maintain a good rythm, you run the risk of unlearning what you have learnt.

Also, post your question in the GMAT forum. You will get some good tips from the folks there. The following thread should help. Good luck with your studies!

1-t44327

ashudce wrote:
Hi NC,
I am a newbee and am quite impressed by your commitment and profile.
I need your inputs on few points to start with:
1. How far can Official guide take you? Do we need additional material to study.
2. Considering this is mid Feb, when can I target GMAT exam to count for 2009 session.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi,
I got offers from MSU (Michigan) and from HKUST (Hong Kong). Both of them are offering $10-$15 K schol. I am really in a dilemma now.

The US Visa issue is hurting my US MBA dream. I am currently in H1B visa (3 1/2 yr in US). Can you reuse the H1-B when I will graduate in 2010 . What should I need to do now. Also anyone has any suggestions about which school to choose.

Ayan
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
strange as it may sound, i do not recall seeing any desi admits to Kellogg on here. coincidence ? or am i forgetting someone ?
Current Student
Send PM
Sure, you can. You cant use the same visa, but you will be able to obtain one easily since your new H1-B wont count towards the yearly quota and will basically be a reinstatement of your old one.

ayan.ghosh wrote:
Hi,
I got offers from MSU (Michigan) and from HKUST (Hong Kong). Both of them are offering $10-$15 K schol. I am really in a dilemma now.

The US Visa issue is hurting my US MBA dream. I am currently in H1B visa (3 1/2 yr in US). Can you reuse the H1-B when I will graduate in 2010 . What should I need to do now. Also anyone has any suggestions about which school to choose.

Ayan
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi NC,
Thank you for the reply. It makes my decision a bit easy.

Do any of you have some input about MSU or HKUST. Now a days HKUST is doing very well in all the rankings (17 in FT and 20 in EIU). I would like to do an MBA from US but HKUST seems doing very well in Finance now a days.

Ayan
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
pandeyrav wrote:
strange as it may sound, i do not recall seeing any desi admits to Kellogg on here. coincidence ? or am i forgetting someone ?

I know mgoblue2 is an ABCD (I think thats what its referred to). Remember we had fewer than 10 admits in R1 on here and typically a class is going to have less than 10% indians in it so its not a coincidence. I can tell you that I personally met a bunch of Indian students and admits during DAK, so they do get in. Yes it is hard for Indians to get into the top schools (it is for everyone though) but they go to every school. I have not been to an event or visited a school where I didnt meet multiple Indians and I am sure everyone can back that up.

Dont turn this place into BW with the anti indian conspiracies...they get in everywhere but unfortunately its a very competitive group so of course its much tougher for them than for a female from an underrepresented minority.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
Dont turn this place into BW with the anti indian conspiracies...they get in everywhere but unfortunately its a very competitive group so of course its much tougher for them than for a female from an underrepresented minority.

yes of course indians do get in. my question was borne out of surprise that i could not recall any Indian applicants from *this* forum that got in in round 1. definitely not fueling any conspiracy theories :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
Nc and Dosa

After MBA , you can apply for the 20,000 H1B exclusively reserved for Graduate students from USA

Only thing you need to worry is complete the course work by March
Current Student
Send PM
If I remember correctly, prasad has applied for a green card through his wife's employment. So he very well may not have to worry about H1Bs by the time he completes his MBA from GSB*.

* prasand hasn't received his final admit from GSB yet. But he certainly will.
Director
Director
Send PM
mNeo wrote:
If I remember correctly, prasad has applied for a green card through his wife's employment. So he very well may not have to worry about H1Bs by the time he completes his MBA from GSB*.

Wow ..congrats NC

I missed this part
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [0]
Send PM
Hi All,
Cant say I m new, but yeah I have been very dormant as far as posting a message is concerned.

Just curious about how did desis do at GSB R2? I dont do any good to this statistics with my "Ding"
(770, Q50, V44, AWA5.5, 5 years, currently in pharma/biotech/healthcare research)

best,
parsifal
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11