Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:39 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Which options describe you

You may select up to 3 options
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
Re: Indian Admits. Help needed for reapp. [#permalink]
pandeyrav, I will assess my own situation and hopefully that helps you.

I have a 100%(well, almost) batting average at all elite schools and 0 acceptances at UE schools.

Although I could have improved on my essays and interviews, I believe my UE dings were driven by the lack of academic/professional pedigree in my resume. I am a male applicant from the IT industry(eventhough I personally do busines consulting in the areas of sales channel management and compensation, my employer is generally viewed as an IT powerhouse). So, strike 1 - not a significant brand name and coming from a crowded and under-appreciated industry.

Also, my undergrad was not from IIT or other name brand institution like BITS etc. I looked at profiles of alumni from my UG school over the years and found only 3 or 4 people who have done their MBA from UEs. And all of them had an MS from Berkeley, MIT or Stanford. So, probably their grad school brands helped them. Strike 2 - No grad degree and UG from a very competitive school with no brand name in the international MBA circles.

Pedigree loves pedigree. Do not underestimate this. If you dont have pedigree and come from a tough crowded pool, your chances at UE schools is virtually nil. Having a great GMAT(say 780) or an out of the world extra-curricular achievement (olympian, run your own $1 M business etc, have a name-brand award) will help. So assess your profile accordingly.

Finally, dont believe that a great set of essays can get you in. A great set of essays can help you, but cannot help you overcome lack of pedigree or high GMAT. I thought I had a solid set of essays, but was dinged pretty much without second thought at all UEs. Honestly, we cant blame the schools. They will pick who they think are the best candidates. And an IIT grad or McKinsey employee will definitely be attractive to them more tham you or me.

My take is apply to top-elite schools : Ross, Tuck, Haas etc and include 1 or 2 UEs. Have reasonable expectations.
Current Student
Send PM
Pandey- I know a lot of people here will probably advice against retaking your GMAT with a 700+ - but I did retake it. If you look at the Ross admits this year (just the desi's) all of them have a 760+. In fact, very few of the desis were even invited to an interview with a score lower than 740. So I think GMAT matters to some schools(maybe just outside the M7) more than the others.

I dont think schools actually prefer students with an MS in the US. I think it so happens that the % of applicants with an MS in the US tend to probably be more in non-IT fields (atleast a few I know) and hence are able to differentiate themselves a little. In fact mNeo is from an IIT and I dont think he did an MS here. Also, once you have an MS, there is probably some level field for the schools as they can relate to your competencies. Coming from an unfamiliar college in India might be a disadvantage but with an MS from say a top 10 engineering school in the US will help the adcoms realise your academic capabilities. Obviously you are right in that respect but something to think about is taking an online business related course or two from either UCLA and Berkeley- this will help you show interest in the field.

Actually, at times I feel being from an IIT is a disadvantage. There are so many IITians who apply and as I dont have a great GPA (6.8) and the schools are aware of the grading systems there :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [0]
Send PM
I have been checking very few threads and I now notice two changes:
Penguin ---> GSB - Congrats mNeo.

Dosa: Have you also secured another admit (whose avatar you havent yet been able to find) and subsequently withdrawn your Ross admit?

Coming back to the topic, I must admit I completely underestimated the difficulty of getting into M7 and overestimated the importance of GMAT (770/q50/v44/5.5). I took my GMAT very late (first week of Jan) and decided to apply for the top schools based on my GMAT score. I had not participated much in these forums until after I finished my R2 applications (for which I had less than one week), so I didnt know that I was part of the most oversubscribed and quite competitive pool.
After reading all the posts in this forum and getting a feel of the level of competency of fellow applicants, I learned to take dings in my stride. Some goals are so worthy that it is glorious even to fail. :-D

Anyway, the question that now stares at me is this: should I wait (a minimum of 2-3 years i guess) to re-apply to the top schools (lower M7's and higher 2nd M7), OR go for 11-20 ranked schools? I guess many in this forum are going through similar dilemma. Would love to know your views.

Anyway, other successful desis, plz continue to share your experiences.
Current Student
Send PM
Parsi - I took it down after I got my Duke admit as I was not sure. But I am leaning towards Ross for sure.

Regarding your question- how much work ex do you have and how old are you? If you are closer to 30, then it is probably prudent to re-apply this year. If you are closer to 1 yr WE, then maybe wait 2-3 yrs.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
I totally agree about the pedigree thing. My employer is a top 10 software exporter but does not have the brand pull of an IBM or a Google or a Mckenzie. I do however have some great brands for whom i consulted in course of my work (GE - about 3 years and Coca-Cola 2 years). However, I can see how there would be several desi applicants who would have similar or better work experiences.

So my plan is to switch jobs to a better brand - A deloitte or PWC or IBM. The other option is to stick around with my current employer if i am given a chance to work in the new business consulting group they are creating. That way i can demonstrate my contribution in setting something new which might be almost as good a positive as 6 months at a big brand.

I emailed the female student who interviewed me at GSB and although GSB is not offering feedback, she said there was nothing wrong with me so far as my interview was concerned. So at least i know that interview was not a screw up. She also said that my GMAT was good enough and i need not retake it. But i am thinking of retaking the GMAT just to be safe. She was of the view that i am not required to take additional classes / courses unless my GPA was really bad which it is not (I topped my Branch in 6 of 8 semesters and over all). All this brings me back to my essays and my recommendations. I have a suspicion that my recommendations were not all that great and insightful as i they could have been. I think my essays were decent. I could certainly improve there as well.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
dosa_don wrote:
Parsi - I took it down after I got my Duke admit as I was not sure. But I am leaning towards Ross for sure.

Regarding your question- how much work ex do you have and how old are you? If you are closer to 30, then it is probably prudent to re-apply this year. If you are closer to 1 yr WE, then maybe wait 2-3 yrs.

I got 3 years of work-ex - all IT (in India). Am 27.
I then switched to Medical Technology Research as part of my MS (in USA). I might have done my PhD had I not realized the possibility of being "pigeonholed" in an extremely focused research for the rest of my life. Also, being in a clinical environment, I foresee a good career in Entrepreneurship in Medical Devices, Healthcare management; hence, I have been toying with the idea of MBA.
Any suggestions?
Current Student
Send PM
parsifal, pandey, oz, bsd et al, I will be in school if and when you re-apply. But feel free to ping me for any advice, essay reviews etc. Good luck for next year!

P.S : bsd, I still think you will get off the NYU WL. When are you re-taking GMAT?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Thanks nc.

Let me know if you will have time to critique my GSB and Wharton app and what i could have improved.

Any other guys interested in doing this please let me know.

thanks

ncprasad wrote:
parsifal, pandey, oz, bsd et al, I will be in school if and when you re-apply. But feel free to ping me for any advice, essay reviews etc. Good luck for next year!

P.S : bsd, I still think you will get off the NYU WL. When are you re-taking GMAT?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Technology Management
Schools:Fuqua, Anderson, Johnson, Ross
Send PM
Great thread. I guess when it comes to what works and what doesn't for us Indian applicants, there is not much disagreement :)

nc: I am pasting verbatim from an email I sent earlier today morning to a friend, who is has a Duke admit & was waitlisted at Stern.

For Indian applicants like us, who have been branded with the IT brush, age, GMAT and UG school are probably key factors. I've seen several admits at the Kellogg, Chicago & Wharton - what stands out is the prevalence of IITs, a great score, and then 4-5 years of blue chip work experience. I am sure essays also matter but having the basic prereqs gives them a leg up.

dosa:
an IIT degree could be disadvantage if your UGPA is lower, nevertheless, the brand cachet still gets you some respect compared to any another engg school. I am still not sure how much an MS would help. Most adcoms convey the impression that they don't consider it any differently than a BS in the same discipline.

Personally, I had 3 strikes going against me - non-IIT(NIT), score(730) and finally, my age(31). On the plus side, I work for a top chip company & have had good career progress. My goals relate well to my career. I also believe I did my due diligence in terms of researching fit, relevant courses & clubs and talking to students at every school I applied to. The results: I was dinged at both UEs(Ch/K) and 2 Elites(Tuck/Darden). I have an admit from Cornell (AMBA) and a waitlist from Ross.

While K/Chi were definitely a reach, I feel that in previous years I would've had a decent shot at Cornell, Darden and Ross. As Dosa said, almost all interviews from Ross went out to 750+ scores. At Cornell, my age was a factor in being offered AMBA instead of the 2-year. Darden, I have no friggin' clue what I did (or didn't) to deserve a ding.

I would've loved to attend any of the schools I applied to, now I have to decide whether I want to pursue a 1-year program or take my chance at Ross. Reapplying at 32 will be a big X-factor even at age friendly schools like Ross or Tuck so this makes my decision tougher.

p.s. I am considering retaking the GMAT to improve my score. I'll start a thread on the GMAT Experience board, it would be great to hear from the stalwarts here!
Current Student
Send PM
dosa, on the contrary, in your case I am pretty sure the IIT brand helped you. A 6.8 GPA from another school could have well resulted in a ding. There is a possibility that the punch of an IIT brand helped you.

If I had a 6.8 CGPA, i probably would be re-applying now.

dosa_don wrote:
Actually, at times I feel being from an IIT is a disadvantage. There are so many IITians who apply and as I dont have a great GPA (6.8) and the schools are aware of the grading systems there :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Plus his track record at his MS would have covered any doubts that a low UG score may create. Adcoms can certainly relate better to a score from US universities. What would be interesting is to see if any desi applicant who did not have a great GPA in both undergrad and MS got through any of the top 10.

ncprasad wrote:
dosa, on the contrary, in your case I am pretty sure the IIT brand helped you. A 6.8 GPA from another school could have well resulted in a ding. There is a possibility that the punch of an IIT brand helped you.

dosa_don wrote:
Current Student
Send PM
Folks, I am going to merge this with the Indian Admits:Room thread. FYI.
Current Student
Send PM
Pandey- I am pretty sure my MS GPA was not that great- it was a 3.33 but in a very quantitative and theoretical field (Operations Research) from Penn state (A decent school). I think in MS, getting a 3.8+ is very common, so my MS GPA was pretty low as well.

Ncp- I completely agree with the fact that the IIT brand helps overall and definitely did at Ross but I was referring specifically to some of the UE's which probably attract a lot more IIT applicants.

pandeyrav wrote:
Plus his track record at his MS would have covered any doubts that a low UG score may create. Adcoms can certainly relate better to a score from US universities. What would be interesting is to see if any desi applicant who did not have a great GPA in both undergrad and MS got through any of the top 10.

ncprasad wrote:

dosa_don wrote:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
dosa_don wrote:
Pandey- I am pretty sure my MS GPA was not that great- it was a 3.33 but in a very quantitative and theoretical field (Operations Research) from Penn state (A decent school). I think in MS, getting a 3.8+ is very common, so my MS GPA was pretty low as well.

So given the fact that schools love the IIT brand and chances of someone without that brand getting into a top 7 are slim, what should people like me do ? Should the dream be given up ? or should the truth be accepted and people like me should target top 15 instead ? Is there anything that can be done that would help someone who does not have the IIT brand ?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Indian Admits -Room : Keep all desi discussions here! [#permalink]
I believe that the UG GPA carries much more weight than Grad GPA. And unfortunately, most of the Indian Univs go by the percentage system. A first class (60%) in many Univs is considered good in India. It is, however, an E grade in many US Univs. Of course, the B-school do factor this in (I hope);
The main issue is that among the non-IITs, the grading differs significantly. Eg: Our university topper had 71%, whereas that of some Univ in South had 88%. I guess B-schools may not consider this and give a clear disadvantage to some univs.

Does GMAT help in this case?
Current Student
Send PM
pandey, I didn't intend to dissuade people from applying to UEs. I applied to 4 of them and except at GSB, I gave them my best shot. I dont regret applying. Apply to the UEs. But be smart and balance your portfolio with some elite schools. If you dont get in to the UEs, you would still end up at one of the best elite schools. Not being at a UE is not the end-all. If you cant land a good job coming out of an elite school, then you probably wouldnt do that even if you went to a UE.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Harvard '11
Send PM
I voted in the survey...although I'm not a typical Desi applicant. I went to UG in the U.S. and work in aero engineering. Is that considered IT? I never thought so, but maybe b-schools think differently...
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11