Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 04:58 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 04:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Which options describe you

You may select up to 3 options
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 264 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:Berkeley Haas
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Indian Admits -Room! [#permalink]
Also you will see a number of HBS admits for Indians for 2009 from our GMATclub.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
That doesnt sound right. 20% of class implies almost 150 candidates. That is definitely incorrect. i suspect HBS admits close to 30 Indians.
suntaurian wrote:
Harvard Business generally has more than 20% indians in their classes.

A few of my desi friends are at HBS and Kellogg too.
Current Student
Send PM
I think a lot of people should differentiate between ABCD's and the rest of us :) I know there are a lot of ABCD's in a lot of the top schools. Sada desi's should be ~5-10% at the most in most schools.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Technology Management
Schools:Fuqua, Anderson, Johnson, Ross
Send PM
suntaurian wrote:

Do you mean 20% in a particular class or overall? It's possible that one section/course has more Indians which skews the overall %. For instance, I attended a Finance class at Cornell where I counted nearly 20 Indians in a class of ~60. But overall I would say they are less than 10%.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
svrider wrote:
suntaurian wrote:

Do you mean 20% in a particular class or overall? It's possible that one section/course has more Indians which skews the overall %. For instance, I attended a Finance class at Cornell where I counted nearly 20 Indians in a class of ~60. But overall I would say they are less than 10%.

I meant 20% overall in the MBA program. This is what I had heard from one of my friends who was doing his MBA from HBS.
But I believe the the distribution is like 7-8% indians who come from India and almost 9-10% indians who are living in US for more than a few yrs and most having another degree from US, like BS or MS. They don't get counted in Int'l students but under North America.
On an average the %age of indians at HBS (born here + int'l + been here for sometime [work / education]) is almost 20%.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
Your friend must be mistaken. 7-8% of the student body implies that HBS takes 70+ students from India every year(7-8% as you quoted). According to HBS class profile stats, 33% of their incoming class is international in nature, representing 60 odd countries. If you combine those stats together, then one has to believe that out of the 300 international students accepted(33% of 900), almost 25% come from India alone and that remaining 59 countries account for the remaining 230 admits. Irrespective of what any current student says, that number is impossible to believe.

suntaurian wrote:
I meant 20% overall in the MBA program. This is what I had heard from one of my friends who was doing his MBA from HBS.
But I believe the the distribution is like 7-8% indians who come from India and almost 9-10% indians who are living in US for more than a few yrs and most having another degree from US, like BS or MS. They don't get counted in Int'l students but under North America.
On an average the %age of indians at HBS (born here + int'l + been here for sometime [work / education]) is almost 20%.
Current Student
Send PM
suntaurian wrote:
svrider wrote:
suntaurian wrote:

From what I've heard from adcoms & other students, except for the US citizens of Indian origin, everyone else is considered international. It doesn't matter if you did a BS or MS or whatever. On this board, I've even read of citizens complain that they get clubbed into Indian IT pool. If anything, not doing a masters puts you at a sweet spot in terms of age at say 26 & 5-years of experience.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Didnt HBS state that Indians are the most common international students in the program this year they finally passed Canadians. They gave the number and it was around 40 Indians. This would be anyone who is an Indian citizen, no matter where they studied and where they live. If an indian has become a US citizen or was born here then he is considered an American.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
HEC Paris, a school decidedly less selective than HBS has more than 20% of its class comprised of Indian citizens.

I always assumed that international students from one single country would make up no more than 5% of the class at most top US schools. So 7-8% of the class at HBS comprising solely of Indian citizens, at a school with a massive 800-strong incoming class, certainly seems extraordinary.

riverripper wrote:
Didnt HBS state that Indians are the most common international students in the program this year they finally passed Canadians. They gave the number and it was around 40 Indians. This would be anyone who is an Indian citizen, no matter where they studied and where they live. If an indian has become a US citizen or was born here then he is considered an American.
Current Student
Send PM
riverripper wrote:

5% for HBS sounds about right. Ross is probably the highest at 8% and it has been known to attract a lot of Indian applicants.
https://www.bus.umich.edu/Admissions/Mba/Profile.htm
Current Student
Send PM
This is very tough to estimate. There are just way too many variables/definitions. To some schools, GC holders or permanent residents are domestic, and for some, these students fall into the international category. While this population might seem small, Wharton claims 6% of its class is in this bucket.

Based on my hours of mindless analysis on the Ross internal website, there are about 30-35 non-ABCD Indians and about 20 ABCD Indians. This number peaked for the class of 2008 and has dropped for the latest incoming class.

On another note: Tuck was a school not known for being friendly towards desis but this year, in its EA round, 25% of all admitted students were Indians. Obviously its going to adjust itself in the remaining rounds .
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
That's a very curious statistic, dosa. Where did you learn this?

Tuck obviously has built up its India marketing strategy quite a bit over the past 2 years. I'm sure the #1 Forbes ranking also appeals quite a bit to us famously competitive Indians. :-D

P.S. A lot of Indian Americans consider the term ABCD to be mildly pejorative. I tend to agree with them.

dosa_don wrote:
On another note: Tuck was a school not known for being friendly towards desis but this year, in its EA round, 25% of all admitted students were Indians. Obviously its going to adjust itself in the remaining rounds .
Current Student
Send PM
Regarding Tuck- it was posted on B-week by a current admit. But he quickly pulled it off but you can see the thread of discussion there. I did hear from a current student that they are trying to expand their reach into India. This could be the reason why they have a thread on B-week, Indians at Tuck or something like that.

Sorry if I offended anyone with the term ABCD- it is purely to make matters rather simple on the forum and not making fun of any particular demographic :)

solaris1 wrote:
That's a very curious statistic, dosa. Where did you learn this?

Tuck obviously has built up its India marketing strategy quite a bit over the past 2 years. I'm sure the #1 Forbes ranking also appeals quite a bit to us famously competitive Indians. :-D

P.S. A lot of Indian Americans consider the term ABCD to be mildly pejorative. I tend to agree with them.

dosa_don wrote:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 464 [0]
Send PM
Funny one that my manager fwded this morning...since some of it is in the context on Indian IT companies...fwding it here

New Economy Companies..

INFOSYSism
You have a 1000 poor cows. You put them on a nice campus, & send them
one at a time to the US for milking.

WIPROism
GE has a cow. You take 49% of the milk.

SATYAMism
You have a cow. You have its milk. But don't know what to do with it!

DELLism
Intel has a Goat. Samsung has a Camel. Buy milk from both & sell it as
Cow's milk.

IBMism
You have old stubborn cows. You sell them as pet dogs to innocent
small businessmen.

MICROSOFTism
You have a cow. Force the world to buy milk from you. Spend a million
dollars to feed poorer cows.

SUNism
You have a bull. It doesn't give milk. You hate Microsoft.

ORACLEism
You have a cow. You don't know which side to milk, so you sell tools
to help milk cows.

SAPism
You don't have a cow You sell milking solutions for cows implemented
by milking consultants.

APPLEism
You have a cow. You sell iMilk.

SONYism
You have a cow. You spend $50 mn to develop the world's thinnest milk.

CITIBANKism
Welcome to Citibank. If you have a cow, press 1. If you have a bull,
press 2...stay on line if you'd like our customer care to milk it for
you.

HPism
You don't know if what you have is a cow. You sell complete milking
solutions through authorised resellers only.

GEism
You have a donkey. People think you have a 100-year old cow. If
someone finds out, that's his imagination at work.

RELIANCEism
You don't yet have a cow. You sell empty cans to people for Rs. 501,
because Dhirubhai wanted everyone to have milk.

TATAism
You have a very old cow. You re-brand it as TATA Indicow.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [0]
Send PM
good one sperinko
Another related article
https://inhome.rediff.com/money/2006/jan/28spec1.htm
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
Indian Admits. Help needed for reapp. [#permalink]
Guys,

I have been trying to analyze my dings. Essays and reccomendations are things that will always have room for improvement. But there are other factors that can be quantified and may help indicate what areas people like me should improve upon. So please indicate the three choices that describe you. One each for Educational qualification, GMAt score and work ex.

Thanks for your help and time.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
Re: Indian Admits. Help needed for reapp. [#permalink]
After going through the insanity called B-school apps, I think I can say this with great certainty that your work ex and how well you describe yourself/your work/your achievements in the essays and in the rest of the application are the most important parts of the app. And the good news is that most of it is still in your control. Don't worry too much about the undergrad or the GMAT score (unless you are below the average). Just MHO.

ps. Being from IT kinda sucks though :(
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Indian Admits. Help needed for reapp. [#permalink]
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11