Last visit was: 29 May 2024, 04:38 It is currently 29 May 2024, 04:38
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Re: Calling Columbia applicants for 2008 [#permalink]
I'm sorry to hear that uphill...

Just so you know, during the Sloan's admit weekend, there was a guy with 45 or something, but he was a "dot out of the curve". With my almost 30 years, I was one of the oldest there, usually people were in their 25-27 years. But hey keep your mood up, otherwise you'll not attract god vibes. I'm here rooting for you and all other clubbers.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Send PM
kwam wrote:
I'm sorry to hear that uphill...

Just so you know, during the Sloan's admit weekend, there was a guy with 45 or something, but he was a "dot out of the curve". With my almost 30 years, I was one of the oldest there, usually people were in their 25-27 years. But hey keep your mood up, otherwise you'll not attract god vibes. I'm here rooting for you and all other clubbers.

Thanks kwam. Yeah, I knew from the beginning that my age made me one hell of an "outlier" in the process, so it's not totally unexpected. But I am nothing if not resourceful, so if this doesn't work out for me, I will figure out something else interesting to do! On an up note, I'm doing really well in my Statistics class... :lol:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Just got back from NY last night; Columbia Open House was Thursday and Friday, and it was great! There were 250 accepted students there, most of whom were ED applicants and committed to Columbia. I did meet 3 people who are RD accepted applicants (I'm sure there were more, but I did not come across them) who are deciding between Columbia and Kellogg and/or HBS. No information was given regarding avg. GMAT or number of applicants. Linda Meehan said that info will be given at Orientation. She did give some other meaningful stats regarding the diversity of students--such as nationalities, work experience, and achievements--who have been admitted. They are forming quite the class!

Of course, when I go to NY it is the coldest days of winter thus far. I was freezing, but I got used to it by the end of the weekend. The Columbia campus is amazing. It really has that college campus feel. When you step on campus from 116th you are immediately taken out of the city and put into a bustling university. I like knowing that I can go from college campus to the city just like that (*snap fingers*).

The activities that they had for us facilitated a lot of mingling, which was great since the majority of Open House attendees will be attending Columbia in the Fall. They broke us up into Clusters, and we did some getting-to-know-you activities, as well as attended a mock course together. They also had events hosted by Bloomingdale's and Deutsche Bank, and they brought in Charles Strauss, the former CEO of Unilever and CBS alum, to speak to us.

I was also fortunate enough to meet the GMAT Clubber and fellow Columbia admit, Businessdoc. Good to put an actual person with a handle, impressive background, and heck of a GMAT score. I hope to meet some other GMAT Clubbers come August!

If you have any questions regarding Columbia, I would love to answer them for you. I really got to experience Columbia from another perspective at Open House, and I could not be happier with my decision to apply and matriculate.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
For those who have been accepted, how long did CBS give you to make your decision to matriculate or not? Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
I was accepted Feb. 7th, they want a $1500 deposit by March 17th. Any other questions, just ask. I was fortunate enough to have attended the Open House with djhouse, and I must say it was incredible. Hope to see some more accepts on the boards, though!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Oh yeah, to piggyback what djhouse said, I talked to Linda Meehan there as well, and she kept emphasizing that the class was not full and that they were still vigorously going through applications. I applied RD, but I only literally met a couple other people who also applied RD, so you RD people keep hope alive! Virtually everyone I met there was ED.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Send PM
Popped my cherry this morning.

First invite of the season!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
ryguy904 wrote:

Congrats buddy! Where else did you apply?
Current Student
Send PM
rajpdsouza wrote:
ryguy904 wrote:

Congrats buddy! Where else did you apply?

https://gmatclub.com/forum/p414035#p414035
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Congrats ryguy!!!! When are you going to schedule the interview for?
Current Student
Send PM
nyrberg wrote:

Going to shoot for within the next 2 weeks, although it all depends on the interviwer's schedule (and of course I need to choose somebody as well).

I did a quick glance of people within a 30 mile radius and got two interesting names. Person 1 works at the same company as I do and reports to the same person that my boss does (Note: my company is not aware of my b-school intentions). Person 2 is a professor at a local university. I haven't looked at the other alumn's profiles, but I know Person 1 is out for sure. Any thoughts on interviewing with an academic? I thought this may provide a more laid back experience...

Cheers
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
Schools:Baruch / Zicklin
 V3
Send PM
Congrats and best of luck on the interview!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Send PM
First off, congrats ryguy! In response to your question regarding interviewer, go for the academic for the exact reason that you stated; it will most likely make for a laid back interview.

ryguy904 wrote:
nyrberg wrote:

Going to shoot for within the next 2 weeks, although it all depends on the interviwer's schedule (and of course I need to choose somebody as well).

I did a quick glance of people within a 30 mile radius and got two interesting names. Person 1 works at the same company as I do and reports to the same person that my boss does (Note: my company is not aware of my b-school intentions). Person 2 is a professor at a local university. I haven't looked at the other alumn's profiles, but I know Person 1 is out for sure. Any thoughts on interviewing with an academic? I thought this may provide a more laid back experience...

Cheers
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Congrats ryguy! Can you please share when your app went under review?
I had a friend who interviewed with an academic at another school and she said it was really laidback and less formal than alumni/adcom
Current Student
Send PM
kalia2480 wrote:
Congrats ryguy! Can you please share when your app went under review?
I had a friend who interviewed with an academic at another school and she said it was really laidback and less formal than alumni/adcom

Thanks Kalia - I'm totally stoked, while at the same time trying to keep things in perspective. My productivity in the office is hovering near all time lows. :)

Submitted: 1/5
Complete: 1/15
Invite: 3/6
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
congrats on the interview, ryguy. i saw your profile and you seem like you would be a good fit at columbia -- good luck on the interview!

it's nice to see that they are still working in the Columbia admission's office and have (apparently) refocused their efforts onto admissions rather than sending out unrelated (and highly deceptive) spam.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management
Schools:St. Gallen '09
 Q47  V40
Send PM
submitted on 18 feb, and my app is finally under review today 6 mar

hopefully i can get that interview invite by the end of the month!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  34   35   36   37   38  ...  42