Last visit was: 02 May 2024, 19:35 It is currently 02 May 2024, 19:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 700 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Georgetown, UNC, UCLA, Duke, Wake Forest
 Q44  V38
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Harvard '11
Send PM
Re: Early Birds: Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink]
I don't know if I buy ALL the hype about all the b-schools going younger...it seems like the average age has stayed constant at ~26-27 for a couple of years now. yes, the top schools are taking more young applicants, but I think the absolute number is still quite small.

Omne wrote:
It's not that we're intimidated, per se. I just remember being in undergrad (oh so long ago!) and being told "Work a few years before applying for an MBA...you need the experience." Now we hear about H/S/W who are all on a youth kick, and consider 26 to be old.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
H/S definitely getting younger... I think Stanford's average age is 26 and their 80% range is 24-30, which means there are quite a few 24-26 year olds around to counter the 30's... Most schools' 80% range goes up to 32 years old.

Wharton is still ok, but one thing I noticed at UCLA this past weekend is that there are a LOT of people with just 2-4 years of experience admitted... might be the sample I met or just the people UCLA admits for 1st round, but it was definitely noticeable.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
What schools are on your list right now? NYU, Columbia, UCLA, Chicago

2) What is the state of your current preparations?
Taking GMAT in a few days!

3) What's the scariest part of the process at this point?
Stated above...realizing that after all the hard work, studying for GMATS, Essay Applications etc, that you still won't get into a school of your choice and that the process is so subjective.

4) How serious is your pursuit at this point? I am serious
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth 2010
Send PM
terp26 wrote:

Stated above...realizing that after all the hard work, studying for GMATS, Essay Applications etc, that you still won't get into a school of your choice and that the process is so subjective.

maryland grad?
Current Student
 Q44  V38
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
H/S definitely getting younger... I think Stanford's average age is 26 and their 80% range is 24-30, which means there are quite a few 24-26 year olds around to counter the 30's... Most schools' 80% range goes up to 32 years old.

Wharton is still ok, but one thing I noticed at UCLA this past weekend is that there are a LOT of people with just 2-4 years of experience admitted... might be the sample I met or just the people UCLA admits for 1st round, but it was definitely noticeable.

See, right now I'm 26, and I've been working at my current company for 3 years...upon matriculation in 2009, I'd be 27-going-on-28 with 4.5 years of experience, which seems to put me in the middle ground. It just makes me feel old I guess! That, and a fear of the downward trend continuing. Even though I'm still fairly young, there's almost a sense that I should have started this journey even earlier!

Terp: Good luck on your GMAT! Be sure to let us all know how it went. I'm going to take mine late April/early May.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Omne, if you have a good job now, you might want to work and wait it out 1-2 years when you're 27-29 (matriculating age). As long as you're not applying for H/S, that age and 4.5 years of work experience will help you a lot. Also, the downturn may be finished by then, and it might be easier to apply then.

Just a thought.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q48  V39
Send PM
I just want to say how this forum and others always seem to motivate me before I start studying evry night for the GMAT. I usually log on here and read about 700+ scores and it really gets me going for the next 2-3 hours to really focus on kicking some GMAt butt! Also, it's good that the 2009 applicants are beginning to poke their heads out of their shells now as I most assuredly believe we are all on this boat together for the next year. As for my post:

1) What schools are on your list right now? Texas, Duke, Rice, UNC, Anderson, Marshall, Emory, NYU, Kellogg, and Darden.

2) What is the state of your current preparations? Just began the OG last week for a mid-May date with the GMAT

3) What's the scariest part of the process at this point? The uncertainty, there are many things I can control, but the biggest part - I can't. When I applied to Undergrad, I applied to one school, got in, and never worried about it again. Now I'm not so lucky.

4) How serious is your pursuit at this point? No turning back now, I have a singular focus outside of work. No friends, no family until mid-May. :lol: Then I can come up for a little bit of air until August
Current Student
 Q44  V38
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
Omne, if you have a good job now, you might want to work and wait it out 1-2 years when you're 27-29 (matriculating age). As long as you're not applying for H/S, that age and 4.5 years of work experience will help you a lot. Also, the downturn may be finished by then, and it might be easier to apply then.

Just a thought.

Yeah, that's something I've thought about, but it'd only work if I did something during that year or two. Otherwise I'm in the same boat I'm in now, just a bit earlier.

jbpayne: I completely agree! I always visit here before I start studying, because seeing the acceptances and the support makes me want to study hard and get accepted!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
Schools:Baruch / Zicklin
 V3
Send PM
1) What schools are on your list right now?
Columbia, Stern, basically any (or all :lol: ) good schools in or around Manhattan as I am well settled here and have lived/worked here for almost a decade. I am considering applying to Yale, HBS, Wharton (like everyone else) but am very reluctant to leave my entire life here in NYC for a few years. This makes me very nervous :oops: :cry: My fallback option for school is Baruch / Fordham - both of which are still very highly competative. Getting in won't be cake walk.

Taking the GMAT either in August or December (depending on a couple of things). Starting a mentoring program at a few churches here in NYC.

I have held a senior position with a large governmental non-profit agency here in Manhattan since 2000. Although this is stable and can have this job for life, I do not see myself progressing in my career due to unforseen factors (read: corruption / nepotism) . Therefore, I am looking to jump ship and feel that pursuing higher education will help my chances. If I get into Columbia or Stern, I will be pursuing a joint MBA and JD degree. My current job is stable, pay is good and I am well settled, however I feel this internal "need" to change. I feel like I can do much better in my life and can prove my ability by going through higher education.

Another scary thing - my academic record. I have gone through a lot of hardships (parents nearly killed in car accident) during my school years and this along with working fulltime (40-60hr weeks) definitely affected my concentration in school. My GPA is super low, transcript has a fewC's and D's, a couple of F's.... but my professional work experience and career progression has been absolutely stellar. Along with my job, I started a real estate company and we have had sales of about $20M going back a couple of years. I think my entire application is strong ASIDE from my transcripts and academic record. anyway, only time (or adcoms) can tell what is going to happen.

4) How serious is your pursuit at this point? Quite serious. I (like many people) feel under utilized at my job and feel I am capable of much more. I am taking the GMAT this year and currently going through a heavy load of preparation. I am serious about getting into business school but really weighing my choices:

- quit work, go to Columbia or Stern (assuming I get in :lol: ) or Baruch for joint MBA + JD
- quit work, move out of NYC for a few years (I can not imagine this!) to attend an out-of-state Ivy

At the same time, everyone is wondering if I'm crazy by wanthing to leave such a stable and "well" paying job to go back to school and *hope* to get something better...

This is more or less a decision I am going to base on my current lifestyle as opposed to finances/etc. I give much respect to people who go to other countries to pursue education. That's dedication.

Originally posted by TimeSquareDesi on 12 Mar 2008, 08:51.
Last edited by TimeSquareDesi on 12 Mar 2008, 10:28, edited 3 times in total.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
dabots wrote:
terp26 wrote:

maryland grad?

'06 Maryland alum here...

1) What schools are on your list right now? R1: HBS, Wharton, Chicago, Tuck, UCLA, Berkeley, Michigan; R2: Darden, Kellogg, Columbia, NYU, Duke. I need to narrow this list down a bit, but overall, I plan to apply to a lot of schools.

2) What is the state of your current preparations? I am currently planning to take the GMAT in mid-June.

3) What's the scariest part of the process at this point? I'm scared of the GMAT. I have a solid GPA and great work experience/leadership, but I have never been great at standardized tests. Also, I am just having a difficult time deciding whether to apply for Fall '09 (with 3 years full-time work experience), or Fall '10 (with 4 years full-time work experience). I am considering only applying to the R1 schools for Fall '09 and seeing what happens from there. This will mostly be a decision based on my current career progress and economic timing.

4) How serious is your pursuit at this point? Not very, to be honest. I need to get cracking on the GMAT if I plan to make this happen.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
 Q48  V39
Send PM
-Wharton, Columbia, NYU, Yale

-Applied to NYU and Columbia for 2008 (late) and will apply next year if I don't get in.
-Already have a GMAT score

-Waiting to see if I got in this year and sucking it up to apply again if I don't get in.

4) How serious is your pursuit at this point?
-100%
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General,
Schools:Cornell, Duke, Kellogg, Ross
 Q50  V41
WE 1: 5
Send PM
-Haas, UCLA, Ross, Darden, Tuck, Duke

-Applied to few schools and will apply again next year if I dont get in, which at this point seems very probable.
-Already have a GMAT score

- No interview invite this year!
- Have to retake GMAT to improve my chances

4) How serious is your pursuit at this point?
-100%
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [1]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Kudos
Good stuff spidey. I think with your background and experiences, and a new(or modified) bunch of essays, you shouldn't have too many problems next year.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Concentration: General,
Schools:Cornell, Duke, Kellogg, Ross
 Q50  V41
WE 1: 5
Send PM
bsd_lover wrote:
Good stuff spidey. I think with your background and experiences, and a new(or modified) bunch of essays, you shouldn't have too many problems next year.

thanks bsd... I got useful feedback from couple of guys at gmat club. Hope to crack it next year :) Good luck with chicago!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Harvard '11
Send PM
I'm in for fall 2009.

1) What schools are on your list right now? MIT Sloan, Cornell, HBS, Wharton, Columbia, all R1.

2) What is the state of your current preparations? Done with GMAT. Doing some visits now and will continue visits into April. Writing down brief thoughts for essays.

3) What's the scariest part of the process at this point? The possibility of not getting in at all.

4) How serious is your pursuit at this point? 100%.

EDIT 4/13/08: Applying to Cornell instead of Tuck.
EDIT 5/11/08: Applying to Wharton as well in R1. This is my close-to-final list for R1.

Originally posted by msday on 13 Mar 2008, 17:01.
Last edited by msday on 11 May 2008, 08:18, edited 3 times in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 952 [0]
Send PM
msday86 what did you score for the GMAT?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [1]
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM