Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 13:07 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 13:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 481 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
Re: Early Birds: Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink]
Angel652001 wrote:
1) What school is on your list right now? Northwestern, Chicago, Ross, Berkeley, (maybe Stanford..though I doubt I have a chance at all)

2) What is the state of your current preparations? 4 dings (Stanford, Berkeley, Yale, Northwestern) and 2 WLs (Chicago and Ross). I re-took the GMAT in April, and I improved my score from a 690 to a 730. Now I'm picking online extension courses to combat my dismal sub 3.0 gpa. I just got invited to join the advisory board of the non-profit that I volunteer at.

3) What's the scariest part of the process at this point? Looking at this thread and realizing how many qualified applicants there are. Realizing that if I have to reapply, I will have spent over $6K trying to get into business school. Spending another year (or two) hating my job. Thinking about writing all those essays again.

4) How serious is your pursuit at this point? 100% to apply either 2009 and 2010. I just don't know if enough has happened to me since January to get into a top program. I'm in the financial services sector, so the next time I apply, I want to be sure that I get in. I know schools are trending younger, but even if I wait until 2010 to apply, I'll be 27 when I matriculate. Hopefully that's not too old...

Have you considered UCLA, Duke, or Columbia?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I have someone moving with me, and location is important for both of us. Because he's a teacher (and on a salary schedule with no room for negotiation), we won't be able to afford to live in NY and he would take a 40% pay cut in NC. Neither of us want to live in LA...we're just not a fan of the culture of southern California. (No offense to anyone from LA.)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 408 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Sustainable Development
Schools:Ross '12 (MBA/MS)
 Q49  V45
Send PM
1) What schools are on your list right now? Michigan, Duke, Yale, Berkeley, Washington (Foster), Cornell, Columbia. Need to trim to 5-6 by the beginning of the summer. Currently thinking 1-2 safety, 3-4 ballpark, and 0-1 reach schools.

2) What is the state of your current preparations? Just finished my GMAT last week, yay! Currently doing a lot of research on schools and formulating an application strategy. Also, piecing together a rough profile to submit for evaluation.

3) What's the scariest part of the process at this point? All the gaping holes in my application! Low undergratuate GPA, an unexplained employment gap, and no experience managing people at work. I'm my own worst critic, of course, so all these things can probably be creatively explained somehow, hopefully...

4) How serious is your pursuit at this point? Very serious. The only way I would delay is if any of my weaknesses are too difficult to overcome. The low GPA can always be softened by developing an alternate transcript, the employment gap can always be overcome by working another year, and the lack of people management can be overcome by taking on additional responsibility in other aspects of my job. The real question is can I sufficiently address all these things within the next 5 months?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
1) What school is on your list right now? Columbia, NYU, Yale, LBS/Cornell

2) What is the state of your current preparations? Took the gmat (680) about 3wks ago and am now heavily researching programs. Although my gmat is lower, I have a strong uGPA in ENG and Grad GPA in ENG with lots of ECs from ugrad and post-Grad.

3) What's the scariest part of the process at this point? 1) Low gmat means more competition for seats 2) I will be in the 30s by the time i matriculate 3) It seems that all class-program visits are done and I would have to wait till fall which will affect my application given most deadlines are in the Oct-Nov timeframe for R1.

4) How serious is your pursuit at this point? 100% I am serious about applying this year mainly because of my age and my interest in pursuing Finance. If I don't get into a school by this year, I will probably consider another career path and may or may not apply for Fall '10
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Brand
Schools:Cornell '11
 Q47  V40
Send PM
1) What schools are on your list right now? Yale SOM, Johnson, Fuqua, Ross, Emory, Sloan.

2) What is the state of your current preparations? Finished GMAT (700). Now researching like crazy and waiting for 2009 essays to be released!

3) What's the scariest part of the process at this point? Not knowing what the future holds. It seems almost as if the top 15 schools have a random accept/reject process!

4) How serious is your pursuit at this point? No turning back. Fall 2009 is a MUST!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Send PM
Hi Guys,

1)What schools are on your list right now?
Chicago, Harvard, Kellogg, Wharton, Darden, Haas, Ross

2) What is the state of your current preparations?
Yet to take the GMAT. Aiming for a 700 +

3) What's the scariest part of the process at this point?
Some Schools on my list seems un-reachable :roll:

4) How serious is your pursuit at this point?
Very serious.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 193 [0]
Concentration: Consulting, Marketing
Schools:Tuck, Ross (R1), Duke, Tepper, ISB (R2), Kenan Flagler (R2)
 Q49  V38
Send PM
Hi Guys,

Tuck, Cornell, UNC, Ross, Darden, Yale, Rochester, ISB(Indian School of Business), NUS (National University of Singapore)

Ultimately, I dont get in to any of my realistic choice of schools (Note: which I think is realistic)

Very serious. But dont know how to start post GMAT
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Ross Class of 2011
 Q49  V40
Send PM
Tuck, Cornell, Yale, Columbia, Duke, Berkeley (1 from H/S/W)

Finished GMAT last week 49/40 710. I'm currently reading some admissions book and working on improving my profile.

Writing all the essays and seeing how stiff the competition is at these schools.

There is no stopping me.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
1) What schools are on your list right now? Columbia, Darden, Toronto

2) What is the state of your current preparations? Finished GMAT yesterday, scored 770. Done a bit of research on schools.

3) What's the scariest part of the process at this point? Possibly not being able to get good recommendations. I only have slightly over one year of work experience, and I'm still not completely sure who I should be asking to write them.

4) How serious is your pursuit at this point? Serious, but I'm fine with reapplying in a couple of years. I'm a career switcher (from teaching English hopefully to consulting), but I realize that my chances are fairly low when you factor in the length of my work experience. I'm going to apply to Columbia ED, and if I get dinged I'll simultaneously apply for both work and other b-schools.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Hi,

I have been a silent visitor to this site and have seen the camaraderie experienced b/w the fellow members. Guess Its time for me to throw in the Hat :)

1) What schools are on your list right now? HBS, Stanford, Haas, Tuck , Ross, Kellog, LBS

2) What is the state of your current preparations? In dire straits....Applied to Haas last year with a not so stellar GMAT score ( 640 ) ...Am taking the test again...

a) Getting a 7XX GMAT Score - Am an Indian Applicant ; need it - no questions asked.
b) Knowing the competition is Healthy and it is tough but Nothing is Unachievable.

4) How serious is your pursuit at this point? Serious....Very Serious...

Btw...A question to those International applicants who could not travel to the schools they wished to apply...How did you get a feel of the school and how did you know you fit the school?

Thnx,
...TNT...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Love the site. It's a daily addiction for me!

1) What schools are on your list right now? Kellogg, Haas, Darden, Kenan-Flagler, McCombs

Took the GMAT last August and fared very well. Currently thinking about essay responses and doing anything I can to bolster my volunteer and leadership experiences.

3) What is the scariest part of the process at this point? Seeing the qualifications and experiences of other applicants and wondering how mine can possibly stack up! It's a competitive process that I fear will only get worse with the current condition of the economy.

4) How serious is your pursuit at this point? Very serious! I just feel that I'm at the right point professionally and personally to take the b-school plunge.

Thanks,
P
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Send PM
1) What schools are on your list right now?

Columbia, Wharton, Chicago(maybe), LBS

Taken the GMAT (730)

3) What is the scariest part of the process at this point?

Worried that I'm going to digress in my essays and not answer the question.
Low GPA.

Very Serious. Shall apply again next year if I'm not accepted. After that I'm just going to take my money and buy a house (a small part of a house anyway).

Originally posted by Legend on 28 May 2008, 11:05.
Last edited by Legend on 22 Jul 2008, 14:44, edited 3 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Haas, USC, Anderson, Wharton (HAAS is my number one choice -- After looking at every school that offers a concentration real estate HAAS, from my pov, is the strongest.)

I would prefer to stay on the West Coast.
Looking to focus in Real Estate Development -- My background is focused in entrepreneurship, sustainable development, urban infill development, and community development.

The GMAT scheduled for July. I have the OG11 guide, OG11 quant guide MGMAT SC book, old ALG-II and Geometry books for refreshing myself. I also have been using excel to develop a database of my progress (what I've missed on each practice exam). I am essentially, finding where I'm weak by auditing my progress. I've been studying for about a month and I'm in the low 600's. I know I need at least a 710 to mitigate my weak GPA.

3) What is the scariest part of the process at this point?
My academic background could be significantly stronger. Overall academic GPA was 2.91 -- major GPA was 3.4. I can hopefully mitigate the low GPA because it was partially due to family related issues.

4) Hower serious is your pursuit at this point?
I'm very serious about my application, and feel that if I can obtain my desired score on the GMAT I'll be one step closer to my endgame.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
thenpanoari wrote:
Haas, USC, Anderson, Wharton (HAAS is my number one choice -- After looking at every school that offers a concentration real estate HAAS, from my pov, is the strongest.)

Woot! I see a future Cal Bear in the making :P Let me know if you need any help.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
1) What schools are on your list right now? UNC Kenan-Flagler, Duke Fuqua, Wake Forest Babcock, UCLA Anderson, USC Marshall, Texas McCombs

2) What is the state of your current preparations? Currently studying to re-take the GMAT (hoping to re-take in early September). I have visited HBS, Ross, Kellogg and Chicago GSB. I am planning to re-visit Kellogg and visit Wharton, Yale, and NYU in the Fall.

3) What's the scariest part of the process at this point? Everyone seems super qualified and extraordinary. I feel that I will need to dig deep to stand out.

4) How serious is your pursuit at this point? I am very serious...the only thing stopping me is a 700+ GMAT score.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
thenpanoari wrote:

Woot! I see a future Cal Bear in the making :P Let me know if you need any help.

Kryzak, I'm going to have to take you up on your offer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
1) What schools are on your list right now? HBS, W, Tuck...haven't frozen on the rest( Will aim at 6 schools)

2) What is the state of your current preparations? Gmat done(700). Just started reading "How to.."
I know i havta start work on my essays etc etc... :?

3) What's the scariest part of the process at this point? That I will run out of time...The reco part is giving me headaches. Also considering that I am aiming high with my schools..the ultimate fear that will not get thru anything.

4) How serious is your pursuit at this point? Extremely serious. Fall'09 is do or die for me!

===
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11