Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 08:04 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 08:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare
Schools:Attending Stanford
Send PM
Re: Calling Stanford Fall 2008 Applicants [#permalink]
Unless something changes dramatically (I don't think it will), calls start to go out to Asia late night/early morning on Tuesday/Wednedsday. Then calls go out to the US all day on Wednedsday. I haven't heard of anyone getting calls earlier. There were false rumors of early calls back in Round 1, but I think Derrick has hewed pretty closely to the above schedule in the past. I can't comment on application volume, etc., because Derrick specifically told us that info wouldn't be released until matriculation.

I think there were less than 5 (total, not percent) college seniors at Admit Weekend out of total attendance ~150. A _lot_ of people were M/B/B consultants, PE, VC/entrepreneurship, or Google/Microsoft with 2-4 years experience, so they fall in the range you mentioned. Yeah, a lot fit that standard type of profile but they were a fair number of oddballs- Peace Corps veterans, teachers, etc. I was probably among the oddest :) .

I think that profile is, like it or not, a mark of "pedigree" that a lot of schools go for. (Please, no one start a flame war... I'm not trying to turn this into B-week.) Based on my interactions with other prospective students, I really do think that Stanford looks within that group for people with a sense of idealism and a desire to positively impact the world. This inevitably sounds wishy-washy and lame, but I'm being intentionally vague here. I don't feel comfortable providing examples of other people's goals in a public forum.

I'm sorry my answer to that last part is so unhelpful :oops: . Let me know if you have specific questions in that area, and I'll do my best to answer them.

As an aside, I've spent way too much time on gmatclub today... clearly, my GF's on call :-D
Manager
Manager
Send PM
terry12 wrote:
Unless something changes dramatically (I don't think it will), calls start to go out to Asia late night/early morning on Tuesday/Wednedsday. Then calls go out to the US all day on Wednedsday. I haven't heard of anyone getting calls earlier. There were false rumors of early calls back in Round 1, but I think Derrick has hewed pretty closely to the above schedule in the past. I can't comment on application volume, etc., because Derrick specifically told us that info wouldn't be released until matriculation.

I think there were less than 5 (total, not percent) college seniors at Admit Weekend out of total attendance ~150. A _lot_ of people were M/B/B consultants, PE, VC/entrepreneurship, or Google/Microsoft with 2-4 years experience, so they fall in the range you mentioned. Yeah, a lot fit that standard type of profile but they were a fair number of oddballs- Peace Corps veterans, teachers, etc. I was probably among the oddest :) .

I think that profile is, like it or not, a mark of "pedigree" that a lot of schools go for. (Please, no one start a flame war... I'm not trying to turn this into B-week.) Based on my interactions with other prospective students, I really do think that Stanford looks within that group for people with a sense of idealism and a desire to positively impact the world. This inevitably sounds wishy-washy and lame, but I'm being intentionally vague here. I don't feel comfortable providing examples of other people's goals in a public forum.

I'm sorry my answer to that last part is so unhelpful :oops: . Let me know if you have specific questions in that area, and I'll do my best to answer them.

As an aside, I've spent way too much time on gmatclub today... clearly, my GF's on call :-D

thanks for the reply. no worries on the vagueness - i understand that someone else's dreams don't translate that well to text, not to mention the fact that some level of privacy should be maintained. i wasn't clear on what you meant by "looks within that group" -- you are referring to the pedigree group? if that is the case, do you have any sense of how many people came from state schools or had no pedigree? i'm not looking to start a flame war -- it is what it is -- just trying to get a sense of what the odds of a state schooler making the cut might be. my feeling is that it is pretty low. on the other hand, the website indicates that they accepted people from something like 70-80 different universities in the most recent class. thanks.
Current Student
Send PM
Yeah, I was referring to the group that fit the profile. While that "pedigreed" group did compose a substantial percentage of admits, there were plenty of people from other schools- including a bunch of state schools- and industries as well. I don't know what the exact percentage is though...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
The wait is killing me...Should we assume a Thursday ding if we don't get a call on Wednesday?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
It's hard to say because Stanford is always a little different, but I think it's safe to assume a ding. Because the class size is so small, they have much fewer admits to call, thus you should receive a call before Thursday if you are admitted. I think there might be an exception to that statement for people who interviewed last week, but I would not count on that, either.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I am dying here. AAAAAAAAAAH. Can't sleep anymore.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
elhajoui wrote:
I am dying here. AAAAAAAAAAH. Can't sleep anymore.

Dude, you already got into Wharton. I know you want to go to the GSB, but seriously, you should be drinking heavily on a regular basis to celebrate the W admit. Getting into the GSB would just be icing on the cake.

Good luck -- based on your profile, your chances are much better than most (~90% I'm sure!).
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Terry -- do you know when the Derrick calls start going out? I heard no call = reject

I am utterly worthless and unproductive right now...
Current Student
Send PM
From a few posts up :-D

terry12 wrote:
Unless something changes dramatically (I don't think it will), calls start to go out to Asia late night/early morning on Tuesday/Wednedsday. Then calls go out to the US all day on Wednedsday. I haven't heard of anyone getting calls earlier. There were false rumors of early calls back in Round 1, but I think Derrick has hewed pretty closely to the above schedule in the past. I

One thing... he often calls work numbers late night Tuesday or early morning Wednesday, leaving a pleasantly surprising voicemail when people come into work. So if you're glued to BWeek on Wed. (I sure was) and you start hearing about people getting voicemails, you might freak out if you haven't gotten one. Don't. Calls go out throughout the day.

And I'm gonna head off another question. The caller ID says "Private Call." :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
i am going crazy waiting to find out. i already stopped working (on friday). i am leaving the US soon and i just want to know where i am headed so i can start planning. to make matters worse, there is a possibility that my decision may come later than April 3 because i did not have my interview till 03/28...i was told i had to do it by 26/27 but the assigned alum was travelling and so i got reassigned on 03/27 and had the interview the next day.... :arh

i had convinced myself that i was not really into stanford and was totally focused on my 2 other schools. i even had the nerve to NOT be excited when i was invited to interview (i think i was in shock, i was depressed at work and just utterly confused)

BUT

who am i kidding? i want Stanford so bad and it hit me again why during the interview. back to praying. what else can be done at this point :pray :pray :pray
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Good Luck

Originally posted by elhajoui on 31 Mar 2008, 15:15.
Last edited by elhajoui on 06 Apr 2008, 14:27, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Harvard '11
Send PM
wow this is SO intense...i don't remember people being this excited/nervous/"aaah" for undergrad admissions!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 700 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
good luck y'all! We need some more Stanford (and West Coast) representation here on GMATClub!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Schools:MIT Sloan
 Q50  V37
Send PM
I totally relate to the anxiety related to this wait period!!

All the very best guys!! Hope you all get the "Hi this Bolton .." call :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
grad_mba wrote:
I totally relate to the anxiety related to this wait period!!

All the very best guys!! Hope you all get the "Hi this Bolton .." call :)

Hi grad_mba, long time no see. How are you doing? I was telling a friend about you .. and how Stanford made a big mistake not giving you that "Hi this is Bolton" call.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 700 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
like I said before, it's Stanford's loss not to admit people like grad_mba (and me :P)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Send PM
good luck everyone...
I'm just waiting for official confirmation of ding (no interview invite).
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  29   30   31   32   33   34   35  ...  40   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts