Last visit was: 04 May 2024, 03:26 It is currently 04 May 2024, 03:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 783 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 624 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: NYU Langone Spring 2009 [#permalink]
guys i have a few questions about the nyu PT program...
do graduates of the PT program have the same MBA degree as nyu FT students? or does it say NYU Part-time MBA...
for example what would one put on his resume?
also, generally how do career switchers fare going into the PT program? does anyone have any research, links, or opinions they can share? My employer will pay for the nyu pt program...but since i am a career switcher, i'm trying to think of what's best for me.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
hey everyone...happy to report that i'm IN! got the email about 1 pm eastern today.

profile posted earlier, but a summary:
6.5 yrs w.e. in tech consulting
750 GMAT/3.8 GPA
relocating from CA

congrats to everyone else who's heard and good luck to those still waiting!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I'm also in as of today! Good luck to everyone!

Race/Sex: White Female
Undergrad: State School, BBA Finance, 2.69 GPA (hence the reason I submitted Optional Essay 4!)
GMAT: 640 (40 Quant, 39 Verbal)
8 yrs WE (last four in Advertising with same company)
Excellent career and salary progression
Excellent recommendations
Intern
Intern
Send PM
congrats speedyhead!

young_gun, it's the same degree. you don't have to specify part-time on the resume, though it would be apparent that you kept working thru the degree if you've got dates of employment on there. there's no difference in the academics, i think the biggest differences will be in terms of networking and career services access.

don't have any real facts on career switchers, i've just read a lot that PTers don't have the same access to the on-campus interviews as FTers...esp if your company is sponsoring. anyone else have info there? i think the main thing is, as a PTer, it's still possible, just much much harder.

132 in the db today, fyi....

young_gun wrote:
guys i have a few questions about the nyu PT program...
do graduates of the PT program have the same MBA degree as nyu FT students? or does it say NYU Part-time MBA...
for example what would one put on his resume?
also, generally how do career switchers fare going into the PT program? does anyone have any research, links, or opinions they can share? My employer will pay for the nyu pt program...but since i am a career switcher, i'm trying to think of what's best for me.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Also notified of admission today as well (~1 PM.) My profile is listed in a previous post.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Does anybody knows what happens if you attend NYU part time and then lose your job? I am concerned that I could lose my job within 6 months after beginning the part time program, given the economic environment and my employer's dependence on high risk financing.

Does NYU tell you to find a new job and kick you out if you cant find a new job? I imagine it would be very difficult to find a new job in this environment. I'm sure I'm not the only one in this situation.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
Just got my admit letter..Finally...considering I was a reapplicant..this is a huge relief. :)
Good luck to all waiting.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Got in!!

But i am still thinking about career services that Part time students are offered with..

Those who got in, how are you guys planning about your post mba career. Are you going to stay in current jobs? I am right now in IT but interested in consulting job in Healthcare industry. Since part-timers are not allowed to take participate in Fulltime recruiting, is it easy to get into the consulting once MBA is completed? Anyone who is currently at Stern through some light on this? I know its difficult to change career through part-time but really interested if there is any change in stern career services which can helpout students in this aspect.

Also, is anyone interested in Outgoing Exchange International Program offered by Stern? I am interested in this, but not sure how this will work for part-timers. My employer will not allow me to take break for 6 months. In that case i have to leave my current job and look for another once i complete the semister outside US. But doesn't stern require to have part-timers employeed during course work... :?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 624 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
SV6 wrote:
Got in!!

But i am still thinking about career services that Part time students are offered with..

Those who got in, how are you guys planning about your post mba career. Are you going to stay in current jobs? I am right now in IT but interested in consulting job in Healthcare industry. Since part-timers are not allowed to take participate in Fulltime recruiting, is it easy to get into the consulting once MBA is completed? Anyone who is currently at Stern through some light on this? I know its difficult to change career through part-time but really interested if there is any change in stern career services which can helpout students in this aspect.

Also, is anyone interested in Outgoing Exchange International Program offered by Stern? I am interested in this, but not sure how this will work for part-timers. My employer will not allow me to take break for 6 months. In that case i have to leave my current job and look for another once i complete the semister outside US. But doesn't stern require to have part-timers employeed during course work... :?

i thought i heard/read that career services are changing at stern PT...if the PT student has had his resume approved by the OCD and if he has gone through an appropriate level of mock interviews, he will be allowed to participate in SOME on-campus recruiting events. this would, i presume, facilitate career-switching, though am not sure. i am also interested in stern pt.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I have been Wait listed for the Spring 2009 program. I expected it as much because my GMAT score is not that great. I was wondering if anybody could publish the current DB count. Anybody in the similar boat?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Question about the wait list process?
I happen to get back in touch with a old friend and it turns out that he graduated from Stern FT recently. He wrote a unsolicited recommendation letter to the adcom after he found out that I was wait listed. I was wondering when in the process will the adcom take a second look at your application. I hope it is not at the very end when there happens to be some open slots.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
SV6:

To answer your second question. Yes, you have to be employed to be able to participate in the Part Time program. If your company gives you the time off while being employed with them, that will probably work. I would check with admin.

I am also in a similar situation where I am tossing the 86k cost of attending versus the career benefit I will gain from the MBA. A little worried as it is a huge investment of time/money/energy.

Funny how I wanted it so bad and now i have all the misgivings in the world.
:roll:

SV6 wrote:
Got in!!

Intern
Intern
Send PM
DB = 132 @ 10:38AM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Thanks for the DB update. So nice for the admits to keep checking this post and helping the hopeful =)
Is it fair to assume that there are 250 seats for spring?
BTW Congrats to all the admits!
Also regarding job switches, my assumption is that the nature of a Part-time program as opposed to an EMBA is that there is no or minimal dependency on your job & employer. The only thing is to be able to afford it over time.

The wait continues for me...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
mjd903 - Thanks for the DB update. Appreciate it.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
applicant wrote:
Does anybody knows what happens if you attend NYU part time and then lose your job? I am concerned that I could lose my job within 6 months after beginning the part time program, given the economic environment and my employer's dependence on high risk financing.

Does NYU tell you to find a new job and kick you out if you cant find a new job? I imagine it would be very difficult to find a new job in this environment. I'm sure I'm not the only one in this situation.

I don't think NYU cares your "job" as long as you can pay tuition.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 783 [0]
Send PM
I agree with welldone. During my visit to Stern I met atleast a couple of part time students who left their work as their employers werent flexible or chose to quit to focus on study.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10