Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 08:44 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 08:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Accounting
Schools:USC
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Concentration: General
Schools:INSEAD, LBS, Columbia
 Q30  V33
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools:Wharton Class of 2011
 Q48  V41
Send PM
Re: scored 440 on first try..helps needed!!!! [#permalink]
I don't want to discourage you, quite opposite, but I certainly don't think 8 weeks would be enough to increase math from 32 to desired level. For verbal, situation is even worse. Instead, you should spend next couple of months in serious preparation for this exam. Spend entire winter studying for GMAT from OG and MGMAT books and schedule your exam for May or June. That way, you will see some serious improvement in your score, 8 weeks will be sufficient to get you in high 500's or something like that.

Even if you manage to improve your score dramatically (we are talking about 200 points improvement, improvement that is nearly impossible from 550 but very viable from 400's), you simply have not enough time to complete your applications for the year 2009. Simply postpone your MBA dream for a year, make serious schedule for next year and stick to it. That way, you'll be able to enter next summer with score that will impress your recommenders and that will give you enough self-confidence for the essays. Additionally, if you have to take TOEFL you will have more than enough time to do that and meet the deadlines for R1.

No matter what you think about it now, one year will pass in the blink of an eye and you should use the time wisely, especially since you don't have the full year, we are talking about some 9 or 10 months now. This is two cents from somebody who has already done so: I took GMAT in October 2007 and scored 610, at that time I was already 30 and felt that I don't have much time. Nevertheless, I spent entire winter in preparations and took GMAT again in April this year scoring 720. After that I had enoug time to research schools, get recommendations, take TOEFL, write essays and meet all other requirements for applying in R1.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: NonProfit, Technology, Public Health
Send PM
I'm in the same boat. I scored a 490. Talk about letting the wind out of your sails. What I find interesting is that with my GPA (3.80), I can't even get some schools to talk to me. I am realizing how important that score is. Maybe it's not the only indication of your ability, however, it seems that the schools use it to gauge the question of "how bad do you want it?" I enrolled in a math class at the local university and am waiting for my Manhattan GMAT books to arrive. I plan to start from the first book and work my way through them, shooting for accuracy on all the problem sets. Once I get going with that, I'll start with the challenges on this page. I don't necessarily need a 700+, but something above 650 will get me where I want to go.

So, good luck with your studying. Maybe we'll find ourselves in a discussion on the GMAT questions. All the best to you!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Concentration: General
Schools:INSEAD, LBS, Columbia
 Q30  V33
Send PM
mbamph,
I'm gonna do the same buy all the Manhattan Math books and get it right the next time around...
I dont think it needs 6 months and a 180 change of plans as pathfinder was saying. I have 1 friend that scored 540 the first time and a month later 690 and the other 560 the first time and a month later 700...they're both strong students and knew (like i do) that this cant happen again it was a one time mistake..the idea is if you were scoring in the 640+ at home on the GMAC CAT and you score so low (530 in my case) at the actual test than something went wrong it's not just lack of preparation.
I admit and have heard though from many people that lifting a score from 620 or 630 to 700 is much harder than lifting it from 500s to 650 cuz it means you did your best the first time already.

In all cases, we all have our stories and conclusions so I wish you the best as well in your next result!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
mbamph wrote:
I'm in the same boat. I scored a 490. Talk about letting the wind out of your sails. What I find interesting is that with my GPA (3.80), I can't even get some schools to talk to me. I am realizing how important that score is. Maybe it's not the only indication of your ability, however, it seems that the schools use it to gauge the question of "how bad do you want it?" I enrolled in a math class at the local university and am waiting for my Manhattan GMAT books to arrive. I plan to start from the first book and work my way through them, shooting for accuracy on all the problem sets. Once I get going with that, I'll start with the challenges on this page. I don't necessarily need a 700+, but something above 650 will get me where I want to go.

So, good luck with your studying. Maybe we'll find ourselves in a discussion on the GMAT questions. All the best to you!

How are you going to study for it? I am wondering if I should study 5 hours a day? I am very frustrated before I am actually apply for Master of Accountancy and not MBA, and a gmat score with 650+ is good enough for me I think.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Pathfinder_77 wrote:
I don't want to discourage you, quite opposite, but I certainly don't think 8 weeks would be enough to increase math from 32 to desired level. For verbal, situation is even worse. Instead, you should spend next couple of months in serious preparation for this exam. Spend entire winter studying for GMAT from OG and MGMAT books and schedule your exam for May or June. That way, you will see some serious improvement in your score, 8 weeks will be sufficient to get you in high 500's or something like that.

Even if you manage to improve your score dramatically (we are talking about 200 points improvement, improvement that is nearly impossible from 550 but very viable from 400's), you simply have not enough time to complete your applications for the year 2009. Simply postpone your MBA dream for a year, make serious schedule for next year and stick to it. That way, you'll be able to enter next summer with score that will impress your recommenders and that will give you enough self-confidence for the essays. Additionally, if you have to take TOEFL you will have more than enough time to do that and meet the deadlines for R1.

No matter what you think about it now, one year will pass in the blink of an eye and you should use the time wisely, especially since you don't have the full year, we are talking about some 9 or 10 months now. This is two cents from somebody who has already done so: I took GMAT in October 2007 and scored 610, at that time I was already 30 and felt that I don't have much time. Nevertheless, I spent entire winter in preparations and took GMAT again in April this year scoring 720. After that I had enoug time to research schools, get recommendations, take TOEFL, write essays and meet all other requirements for applying in R1.

Thank you for sharing your experience. How much time did you spend on studying the material each day during the winter? and what was your strategies??
Retired Moderator
 Q48  V41
Send PM
You are welcome.

I spent 15 hours per week on average during that winter. My math skills were very rusty and English is not my native language. So, there was a lot of work to be done.

For my strategies you can search my older posts, I've written some inputs on learning strategies and on materials to be used. Of course, this is just my experience and my point of view, it doesn't necesserilly mean that you will benefit from it. Anyway, be persistant and you will find your way to 700+ club. I wish you all the best. :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I don't think I can put in 5 hours a day. My brain can only take so much at a given time (I work full time and am taking Calculus too...) I think 5 hours on Sat and Sun is reasonable, but during the week, maybe 1 or 2 hours max. My weakness was math, I did 60% in verbal and a 5.5 on AWA. I can't wait to get my MGMAT books!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
Schools:NYU, Baruch
Send PM
Scored 420 on first try, and need to get 650+. Can anyone who has been in my position and that has scored 650+ tell me how you did it? I am not sure what happened I think it was lack of preparation.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.64
WE:Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
dewi5044 wrote:
Scored 420 on first try, and need to get 650+. Can anyone who has been in my position and that has scored 650+ tell me how you did it? I am not sure what happened I think it was lack of preparation.

What's your score breakdown? What have you been doing to study?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
Schools:NYU, Baruch
Send PM
got a 410..........V20 and Q26. I am gonna get back to studying on 01/03 so
I need not worry about any distractions. I have the GMAC Official Guide as
well as the 2 supplements. Plan on giving myself until end of March,
beginning of April to take test.........(13-15 weeks) Actually was in one
of those Kaplan courses and did not take GMAT seriously.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Low GMAT - MGMAT books - Data Sufficiency question... [#permalink]
I strongly recommend the Manhattan GMAT books. I am through my first one and really like the way they present the material. I feel like I am learning GMAT questions even as I study number properties.

However, I am struggling with data sufficiency. Does anyone have any advice on how to best approach these questions? I am struggling with clarifying the questions. Do you get better at this as you go through the books?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
promoters wrote:
check GmaxOnline
might be helpful

You give this exact advice every time you post something.
Are you a sales rep for Gmax Online?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
:lol: maybe he should register with a more discrete username.
Retired Moderator
 Q48  V41
Send PM
ninkorn wrote:
promoters wrote:
check GmaxOnline
might be helpful

You give this exact advice every time you post something.
Are you a sales rep for Gmax Online?

Yes, and the message is sooo inspiring and imaginative that I just cannot resist, I have to check GmaxOnline :twisted:

I simply adore this type of posts:
"congrats"
"thanx"
"grats man"
"excellent result"

But my favorite these days was guy named "sjpre10" - he wrote 100+ posts in a matter of hours:
"congratulations" and
"thanks for sharing your ideas" - wooooo, fellow even tried to show some creativity overhere!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT Date: 10-22-2011
GPA: 3
WE:Information Technology (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
you can get to 700+ - many people on this site went from 400-420 to 700+ --> search for '400 to 700'
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
GMAT 1: 540 Q47 V19
GMAT 2: 610 Q46 V28
GPA: 3.86
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
chomomo wrote:
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and I seriously need some help from you guys.

I am very frustrated that I scored 440 on my first GMAT test last week.
32 on Quant and 18 on Verbal which is really bad.
I spent about a month to study for the test and decided to give it a shot to see where I stand.
I did most problems in the OG (I answered most questions correctly but I did not time them)and took one timed CAT test from MGMAT with results of 520.
I was very nervous the night before the test and I could not sleep at all. And in the test, I was actually running out of time for both Quant and Verbal. Especially for the Verbal part, I had 7 more questions when I had only 7 mins left on the test. Wonder if anyone could share some time-management strategy and tips on improving both parts?

1) I am planning to retake the test in about 8 weeks. Is there enough time?
2) Is it possible for me to score higher?
3) How much time should I spend on studying the materials? (I am planning to study at least 6 hours a day, will it be too much?)
4) What material is the best?

I wish I found this forum earlier and could have asked all these questions. The result of my first test was really frustrating. :cry:

Any help is much appreciated.

You can follow this path:
Just start your prep without taking GMAT date but keep a tentative date in your mind...Start prepping...Start giving MGMATs and GMATPREPs...when you get 730+ in 3 consecutive prac tests then you can book the actual GMAT date within 15 days period. i think this is the better way instead of taking a GMAT date and then going into procrastination mode.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi mine is same problem , I took GMAT yesterday and got 440 , Q42 and V11 ,a very low score in verbal , I am applying for MS accounting and I have a GPA of 3.7 in my bachelors , can anybody advice me how to improve my verbal score, I am not Native American.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2