Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 21:47 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 21:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 439 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: World Domination, Finance, Political Corporatization, Marketing, Strategy
Schools:LBS, INSEAD, IMD, ISB - Anything with just 1 yr program.
 Q47  V32
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Re: am I too young, too inexperienced for an MBA?? [#permalink]
"As I said in my previous email, an MBA will help you get started in your career, and for most people I know (including myself), that's the best (or perhaps the only) return on investment. If this is true (which is my opinion), why wait until you have worked for a few years? The longer you have worked, the less "impactful" it is."

My friend wrote me this in an email when I ask for his advice. It makes a lot of sense to me, it's just that I think my chances of getting into a good B-school is pretty low, without some working experience.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 439 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: World Domination, Finance, Political Corporatization, Marketing, Strategy
Schools:LBS, INSEAD, IMD, ISB - Anything with just 1 yr program.
 Q47  V32
Send PM
Kudos
wilbase wrote:
"As I said in my previous email, an MBA will help you get started in your career, and for most people I know (including myself), that's the best (or perhaps the only) return on investment. If this is true (which is my opinion), why wait until you have worked for a few years? The longer you have worked, the less "impactful" it is."

whoever suggested you whatever, my take is just one and only one thing. What is taught in the classroom as management is definitely not what goes alive in the real-world out there between bosses and employees. If you perceive it first-hand in a job and then come down and sit in a class and listen to some brainy folks blabbering about stuff that they comprehend and think is what happens, that's when you'll learn management. Management is undoubtedly an art, but it can be developed with a scientifically chalked out plan and approach. With no real world experience you'll not be able to appreciate or even strive for any difference than an MBA degree could make to your life, especially when you are pursuing it at a b-school. The after effects will usually end up bad.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Thanks. I can see your point. I can also see my friend's point. Either way, I think I will need to find the balance. I will have to have some good working experience to be able to be competitive in my b-school application anyways.
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3595 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
why mba and why now are the two most important question which will be asked to you. You should have solid explanation for the Adcoms.

Personally I would like to advice you, do MBA when you really feel you need it, not just to earn more.Think about it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Maram,

I just posted in another forum regarding a similar topic. Here are some considerations for working experience.

A lack of work experience is considered a weakness to most adcoms because you won't have the ability to relate curriculum to personal experiences within an organization, or you won't bring as much to the table as other students who can share pertinent real world examples. Whereas an undergraduate degree may have been more theoretical, an MBA is experiential, and is intended to recreate real world decision making situations.

As others have suggested, be ready to make a compelling argument for why the time to earn your MBA is now.

Best of luck,
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Dear all,
Thank you very much for your input , you have been very helpful and it was really helpful for me to read your opinions.
Actually, there is a reason why I want to go for an MBA now . I come from an engineering background , and I got sick of engineering and thats why I wanted to go for B-school in masters. A lot of people told me that an MBA is the best thing you could ever think of in B-school.
and regarding your question , why now?
well the reason is , I have a scholarship that is available for me now, it is the same scholarship for my undergrad that is going to be extended for my masters. If I end my scholarship and get a job , applying for masters after few years will not be that easy. So I have the chance now.
right now I am thinking of Masters in information systems , which belongs to B-school too , but requires less work experience. But i am still trying to make the decision weather i should get a job for a year or two then apply for an MBA , or apply right now.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.64
WE:Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Hi there maram,

A friend of mine went to grad school and is now competing to get a job targeted at undergrads. Why? Because employer doesn't really value your graduate degree if you don't have prior notable work experience. Unless the degree is in something that you can't learn otherwise (read: technology, hard science) I suggest you postpone it for another 2 years or so and try to get a job now - or better yet, take the PT program if available. This way you can build up your professional WE and at the same time get a degree of your choosing.
GMAT Club Bot