Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 00:04 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 00:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General,Marketing,International Business
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Columbia Business School Class of 2012
Send PM
Re: H1-F1 conversion / general student visa questions [#permalink]
I have the same issue, I-140 approved and now I have to go for F1. I had no clue that F1 will be affected if I applied for green card. :-(
I'm consulting an immigration lawyer, this is a gray area- it's not a 100% chance of denial (is what I heard). Let's hope for the best. PM me if you're in the same position and would like to discuss more.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Is there any clear advantage of applying for Change of Status over applying for a new F1 in India? I am very keen on visiting India before starting the school and would like to quit work asap to take a break.

I have used around 4.5 years on H1. I have not applied for GC, but my spouse has labor certification done, but not applied for I-485. When I produce financial documents, my bank accounts will be the ones in the US. Can any of these factors negatively impact F1 visa by indicating intent to immigrate?

I have almost decided to go to India and get the visa done there. But if there is any issue that would make the process riskier, I'd rather stay back and apply for COS. what do you think?
Current Student
Send PM
gmatter09 wrote:

I have almost decided to go to India and get the visa done there. But if there is any issue that would make the process riskier, I'd rather stay back and apply for COS. what do you think?

I too wanted to go to India but do not want to make my MBA hostage to the visa officer's decision.I will choose CoS for now and will visit India in Dec.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 299 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Class2012 wrote:
gmatter09 wrote:

I too wanted to go to India but do not want to make my MBA hostage to the visa officer's decision.I will choose CoS for now and will visit India in Dec.

isn't that even worse ... if you get into visa trouble in dec.
Current Student
Send PM
rao_1857 wrote:
Class2012 wrote:
gmatter09 wrote:

isn't that even worse ... if you get into visa trouble in dec.

I heard the chances are pretty less since you already completed a semester.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 299 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
@class2012: humm .. good to know that. mind sharing where you got this info?

Come on guys we got to find somebody who's gone thru this. I searched the forum but couldn't find much info...

hard to believe that class of 2012 is the first to jeoperdize their GC for an MBA :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General MBA
 Q49  V44
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Re: H1-F1 conversion [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Class2012 wrote:
snowinTX wrote:

- However, you can use remaining H1-B time. The catch here is that to transfer your H1-B, the new job needs to be very similar to the one that issued it to you. I want an MBA to change my career... ha ha ha.

Are you sure about this? Career switchers like me would be screwed.

I think I was wrong!!! I'm actually really excited about it. I just did a lot of digging online, and it looks like you can transfer your H1B visa to any other job that would qualify for an H1B (specialty occupation, etc.), but it doesn't have to be in any way similar. Also, an H1B transfer is not subject to the H1B cap. And premium processing is available.

However, if you have already filed for a green card and you are transferring your job (you can do so with an approved I-140 and I-485 pending over 180 days), you do need to go to a very similar job description if you don't want to start the process all over. Here is a good link: https://www.lawbench.com/immigration-for ... ead-urgent

"1. If you transfer your H-1B, nothing will happen to your green card process. Just make sure that your new green card sponsor sends the USCIS a written notice containing your new job offer, which must be in the same or a similar job classification."

Sorry for the confusion! But honestly, I'm very happy I was mistaken... :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General MBA
 Q49  V44
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Re: H1 B & OPT issues after graduation [#permalink]
Class2012 wrote:
aditi123 wrote:
As an international student I would use ~3 months of my OPT if I did my internship in the US.
Nex, when I graduate in June/July of 2012 can my employer still apply for H1 B or do I need to work on OPT till the next HiB lottery in 2013? The OPT left will only be ~9 months which may not be sufficient right?

You have something called CPT which can be used for summer internship.OPT comes into play once you graduate.Your employer can apply for a H1 in June if there are any visas left in the quota.

Lottery doesn't happen all the time.Only when more than 65k visa applications reach USCIS offices by April 1st,lottery takes place.Lottery did not happen last yr.Masters students have an additional 20k visas.So you will have 85k visas then.

If your employer extends you an offer for after graduation, hopefully it will happen BEFORE your graduation in June/July. If that is the case, the employer can apply for the H1 right away (given there are visas still left, as Class2012 said)

Great link here: https://www.happyschoolsblog.com/when-h1 ... 5-to-2009/ (all my links are, by definition, great ;-))

According to it, in 2007 and 2008 there was such a stampede for visas that the cap was reached within days after April 1st, which then lead to a creation of a lottery. However, because of the economy, TARP restrictions, and higher employee scrutiny, in 2010 it took until December 21st of 2009 to reach the quota!

My guess is that the economy is unlikely to spring back to 2007 levels right away, but by 2012 it might... I sure hope it does! By then, USCIS might revise the visa cap up (or down?). Obama keeps promising Immigration Reform... although with all the healthcare stuff it's fallen by the wayside this year.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
The vast majority of final year recruiting takes place before the April lottery for H1-B's. Normally the graduate degree allocation lasts about a month at most, this year it was filled late in December.

The employer will (if they actually recruit internationals - you will be surprised how many will not) file for H1-B for the student. I believe there is a possible way to get a bridge visa out to the October sending of the paperwork, but you typically have to use OPT between (and get extended OPT if they go for the visa in the second year, as banks will this year - 2010 is going to be ugly on H1-B in my opinion).

I don't get the whole applying for H1-B yourself - that is virtually impossible I should imagine (given that you aren't legally in a position to be employed, but are founding a business to employ yrself or whatever).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
Send PM