GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Sep 2018, 03:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

H1-F1 conversion / general student visa questions

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Re: H1-F1 conversion / general student visa questions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2014, 08:08
Can someone please post their experience and end result of going through this CoS process from H-1B to F1 within the US and getting their F-1 visa stamped at a consulate in India?

I have been admitted to a top 20 B-school and classes start this August 2014. I have an approved I-140 and a year left on my H-1B from the 6 year period. If I apply for CoS now, it will take about 2.5 months to hear USCIS's decision and if I quit my job and begin school in the mean time, I risk losing status if my CoS gets denied. I'm curious to hear how did the process go for those who have been through this. In a dilemma right now. Should I give up hope of pursuing full-time MBA and apply for part time MBA or risk it, apply for a CoS, quit my job and attend school?

Eagerly looking forward to suggestions/comments!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2014, 15:44
AC201416 wrote:
Can someone please post their experience and end result of going through this CoS process from H-1B to F1 within the US and getting their F-1 visa stamped at a consulate in India?

I'm in a similar situation....any advise on COS from H1 to F1 with I140 is much appreciated.

I have been admitted to a top 20 B-school and classes start this August 2014. I have an approved I-140 and a year left on my H-1B from the 6 year period. If I apply for CoS now, it will take about 2.5 months to hear USCIS's decision and if I quit my job and begin school in the mean time, I risk losing status if my CoS gets denied. I'm curious to hear how did the process go for those who have been through this. In a dilemma right now. Should I give up hope of pursuing full-time MBA and apply for part time MBA or risk it, apply for a CoS, quit my job and attend school?

Eagerly looking forward to suggestions/comments!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2015, 02:06
Bump...

I am currently working in bay area as an engineer in h1b visa. I did MS in US and then got a job and have been working here for past 3 years. Now I am thinking of doing MBA in US. I was reading all the posts about switching h1 to f1 etc.., Your posts in this are really useful for people like me. But I am more concerned about my OPT. I used my OPT after MS. After reading all the posts here I came to know that I wont be given another OPT. Some people here also mentioned that we can transfer our h1b after mba to the new employer. Could you please tell me your experience in this issue? To get h1b, the company needs to apply for it in april. So we need to get the job before that. Is it possible? Is transfer of h1b possible? Any help in this issue is very much appreciated.
Current Student
B
Concentration: Healthcare, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.37
WE: Engineering (Health Care)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2015, 07:55
I'm in the same boat. Applying for 2016 fall intake. My understanding is that the H1 can be transferred and there's no need to worry about OPT. As long as you have at least an year left on your 6 year H1, companies will hire you. Although, if you have only a year left your green card application should begin right away once you join the company. The bottom line is that once you start your F1, your current H1 period will freeze and be re-opened once you find a job right after graduation. Others can correct me if im wrong...

jirang wrote:
Bump...

I am currently working in bay area as an engineer in h1b visa. I did MS in US and then got a job and have been working here for past 3 years. Now I am thinking of doing MBA in US. I was reading all the posts about switching h1 to f1 etc.., Your posts in this are really useful for people like me. But I am more concerned about my OPT. I used my OPT after MS. After reading all the posts here I came to know that I wont be given another OPT. Some people here also mentioned that we can transfer our h1b after mba to the new employer. Could you please tell me your experience in this issue? To get h1b, the company needs to apply for it in april. So we need to get the job before that. Is it possible? Is transfer of h1b possible? Any help in this issue is very much appreciated.

May the odds be ever in your favor.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2016, 18:54
Hi All,
My situation is something different. I am currently working in US and on H1B visa. I still have 3 years left on it. However, My ambition is pursue part time mba. I am yet to write Gmat. Its high time I take it seriously and complete the Gmat and join a college asap. Is there anyone here sailing on the same boat? I would like to get some idea's or suggestions on how to handle my visa situation. Please help. Thanks a ton.
Intern
Intern
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2016, 15:00
Can anybody please confirm three things if possible based on personal accounts?

I am currently on H1B and still on it's first year.

How long does it take to get decision on COS from H1B to F1?
Can I resign after I get F1 status or do I have to resign before that?
Will my new employer after graduation be able to use my current H1b?

Really would appreciate any help!
Current Student
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
Premium Member Reviews Badge
H1-F1 conversion / general student visa questions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 15 Dec 2016, 08:58
asd

Originally posted by jmikery on 17 Jan 2016, 20:52.
Last edited by jmikery on 15 Dec 2016, 08:58, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2016, 23:21
Hi Guys! M bumping this old thread up for discussion to reopen to help the admits from this year. I'm going from H1 to F1 too. From the past discussions I understand that H1 to F1 can be done and the time left on H1-B can be utilized again. I'm in India right now and getting ready to get my F1 stamped. I just wanted to ask if there is a separate form or any other documentation that is needed to be done for such cases (H1 to F1 getting stamped in India) apart from the normal DS-160 that we fill. Also while filling the DS 160 are there any important things to be kept in mind.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT Date: 12-20-2012
WE: Marketing (Transportation)

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2016, 16:35
RahulCFL wrote:
Can anybody please confirm three things if possible based on personal accounts?

I am currently on H1B and still on it's first year.

How long does it take to get decision on COS from H1B to F1?
Can I resign after I get F1 status or do I have to resign before that?
Will my new employer after graduation be able to use my current H1b?

Really would appreciate any help!

1. About a month, if you get an RFE should be another week or two.

2. I resigned before getting the F-1, if you are in the process of applying F-1, your H1-B status is still valid.

3. Yes.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2016, 14:32
Hi guys,

I am planning to transfer from L1 to F1. I would like to work for my employer as much as possible and to tell as late as possible.

I heard that COS of status can take up to 6 months. Can I have my COS approved but still work for my employer until the school starts?
Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2017, 02:27
Hi All, qshdz RahulCFL

I am from India and currently working on H1 (since a month only). I wish to start my MBA starting this fall (July-2017). Request your kind help with below queries-

1. I wish to transfer my H1 while in US only (without travelling back to India). By when should I apply for H1 to F1, so that I can continue working till June end?
2. How much time it takes to get an approval from USCIS? I have heard that it takes few months but one can start the school with the acknowledgment/filing receipt (which is received within few weeks of application)?
3. I understood that remaining time on H1 can be reused. Would it matter if I change my field/responsibilities?
4. If I seek sabbatical form my current employer, can I still do internship in some other firm?
5. High level actions/steps to be taken for transfer would help a lot..

Thanks you so much!
Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2017, 00:33
AspireMBA2017 wrote:
Hi All, qshdz RahulCFL

I am from India and currently working on H1 (since a month only). I wish to start my MBA starting this fall (July-2017). Request your kind help with below queries-

1. I wish to transfer my H1 while in US only (without travelling back to India). By when should I apply for H1 to F1, so that I can continue working till June end?
2. How much time it takes to get an approval from USCIS? I have heard that it takes few months but one can start the school with the acknowledgment/filing receipt (which is received within few weeks of application)?
3. I understood that remaining time on H1 can be reused. Would it matter if I change my field/responsibilities?
4. If I seek sabbatical form my current employer, can I still do internship in some other firm?

Thanks you so much!

Guys, any inputs please? Thanks
Cornell-Johnson Thread Master
B
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V29
GPA: 3.8
WE: Project Management (Insurance)

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2018, 12:54
Bumping this thread and seeking answer..

I'm on H1B and admitted to a top Bschool. Now, I want to change status from H1B to F1.

However, when I discussed with my attorney, he said that since I have already used my H1B and have only 1.5 years left, I will not be eligible to reuse this time after graduation as I will complete more than 6 years of physical presence in USA.

Has anyone faced a similar situation? What did you do?
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2018, 13:12
mspmet wrote:
Bumping this thread and seeking answer..

I'm on H1B and admitted to a top Bschool. Now, I want to change status from H1B to F1.

However, when I discussed with my attorney, he said that since I have already used my H1B and have only 1.5 years left, I will not be eligible to reuse this time after graduation as I will complete more than 6 years of physical presence in USA.

Has anyone faced a similar situation? What did you do?

Do you have an I-140 approved?

Please take a moment to hit Kudos if my post helps.

Cornell-Johnson Thread Master
B
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V29
GPA: 3.8
WE: Project Management (Insurance)

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2018, 14:52
AspireMBA2017 wrote:
AspireMBA2017 wrote:
Hi All, qshdz RahulCFL

Thanks you so much!

Guys, any inputs please? Thanks

Not Yet. Does it makes any difference?
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
H1-F1 conversion / general student visa questions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2018, 16:20
Quote:
Not Yet. Does it makes any difference?

I assumed you responded to my message.

Well, if you have I-140 approved, you can get extensions on it. In that case H1B 6 years don't matter. I am not sure about your situation as I didn't know that remaining in US would count towards your 6 years. Maybe somebody else here can help. Either way, I'd advice you to consult with a couple other attorneys (if you haven't already) to see what can be done.

Please take a moment to hit Kudos if my post helps.

H1-F1 conversion / general student visa questions &nbs [#permalink] 02 Feb 2018, 16:20

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   [ 176 posts ] 

H1-F1 conversion / general student visa questions

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap