Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:24 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Technology
Schools:Berkeley-Haas MBA
WE 1: Investment Management (fund of funds)
WE 2: Private Equity ($2bn generalist fund)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Schools:Fuqua (R2 w $), Darden (R2), Anderson (R2 w/int), Kenan-Flagler (R2), Kelley (R2)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Foreign Market Development, Investment Strategy
Schools:Georgetown '12
Send PM
Re: H1-F1 conversion / general student visa questions [#permalink]
Chicken15 wrote:
Hey Guys,

So what is the best strategy for H1B+I-140 holders? Shall I apply for COS or go to India for visa-stamp? I am inclined towards going to India for stamping. Are you guys aware of any past experiences?

Thanks!

Similar question - are there any clear advantages of applying for COS over going to home country for visa-stamp ? My attorney is strongly suggesting me to do COS but I am not convinced. Isn't it better to know whether you are getting F1 before the school starts rather then finding it out when you are halfway into the program ?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
vishwa wrote:
Chicken15 wrote:
Hey Guys,

So what is the best strategy for H1B+I-140 holders? Shall I apply for COS or go to India for visa-stamp? I am inclined towards going to India for stamping. Are you guys aware of any past experiences?

Thanks!

Similar question - are there any clear advantages of applying for COS over going to home country for visa-stamp ? My attorney is strongly suggesting me to do COS but I am not convinced. Isn't it better to know whether you are getting F1 before the school starts rather then finding it out when you are halfway into the program ?

It really depends.If you don't plan on going outside USA,you can do CoS.Once you are in school,chances of F1 rejection are less.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:ISB, LBS, HBS
Send PM
Hey guys,

I am in my 3rd yr of H1-B with an approved I140 (my H1-B expires in september, and I m not planning on asking my firm for an extension). I have used my entire OPT from my Masters.

This is my plan. I will visit India during May/June on my H1 and come back and resign. I will file for COS and will not travel outside the US (and yes, give up some international opportunity). When I graduate, the company hiring me can use simply transfer the remaining 3 yrs of my H1-B. My family can visit me for the next couple of yrs. This way, I can avoid all immigration related hassles. Also, since GC is for future employment, my company doesnt have to cancel the process. When i do get my GC, i can consider taking a 3-6 month sabbatical from work and join my old company and get my GC.

-
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools:Stanford '12
GMAT 2: 710
GPA: 3.9
WE 1: Wall Street Finance
WE 2: Entrepreneurship
Send PM
levfin2003 wrote:
Ari123 wrote:
Is it difficult for me to get F1 after my employer has filed a I 140 for me. If anyone has tried to change from H1 to F1 please post your experience. I have heard that it is very likely that my F1 would be denied since I have shown an intent to immigrate. Please answer.

This is one of the most cruel laws of the U.S. immigration. It will be very tough for you to get an F-1, to go to school full-time. One option would be to take a leave of absence or an offer letter for future employment (depends on the stage of your application).

I'm the same boat as you are. This is the main reason, I'm applying to non-U.S. schools or part-time U.S. school. Booth was the only school in the U.S. where I applied full-time, but after its heartless rejection that hope is gone as well.

Class 2012. Consider yourself lucky you didn't apply for a green card.

im assuming this thread is talking about prospective students currently working in the US on H1 status? i worked in the US for some time but have since given up my H1-GC status (my company was applying) for about two years now upon quitting and moving internationally. i just assumed everything would reset. does anybody know these type of immigration details for my situation? hope everything works out for everyone!
Current Student
Send PM
mschumy wrote:
Hey guys,

I am in my 3rd yr of H1-B with an approved I140 (my H1-B expires in september, and I m not planning on asking my firm for an extension). I have used my entire OPT from my Masters.

This is my plan. I will visit India during May/June on my H1 and come back and resign. I will file for COS and will not travel outside the US (and yes, give up some international opportunity). When I graduate, the company hiring me can use simply transfer the remaining 3 yrs of my H1-B. My family can visit me for the next couple of yrs. This way, I can avoid all immigration related hassles. Also, since GC is for future employment, my company doesnt have to cancel the process. When i do get my GC, i can consider taking a 3-6 month sabbatical from work and join my old company and get my GC.

-

If you read the earlier posts in this thread,there have been concerns about applying for F1/CoS after starting the GC process.You can check with a attorney on this.GC is applied for a particular position.So if you are in marketing now and switching to consulting after graduation,it won't work in most cases.Once you leave the firm,why would the company continue your GC process? And finally being an Indian,why would you get a GC in 6 months?
Current Student
Send PM
quantjock wrote:
im assuming this thread is talking about prospective students currently working in the US on H1 status? i worked in the US for some time but have since given up my H1-GC status (my company was applying) for about two years now upon quitting and moving internationally. i just assumed everything would reset. does anybody know these type of immigration details for my situation? hope everything works out for everyone!

I suppose you are asking about the H1 period.You can use the unused amount on your old H1.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Columbia Business School Class of 2012
Send PM
msunny,

so are you planning to file for COS once you come back from India? Also, your plan makes sense, but I'm not sure about the GC. As per my lawyer, I have to withdraw my I-140 before applying for F1 to increase the chances of getting F1. Are you planning to not withdraw I-140 and apply for COS? Did you talk to a lawyer?

mschumy wrote:
Hey guys,

-
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
This is the plan of action I received after talking to lawyers and some others who went through this mess

1. Secure I-20 from business school by arranging for funding
2. Withdraw I-140 by requesting the employer. They should send a letter to immigrations.
3. Take a copy of this letter, and create documents that support your intent to go back to your country after MBA...real estate in your name, family ties, a job offer from your country etc and apply for Change of Status from H1b to F1 while being in USA.
4. Change of status takes 2.5 months on average
5. You need not go to your country to stamp, instead you could just change to F1 status while being in USA and start MBA. You need to stamp F1 only when you leave USA (in order to return). So you can go while in school and get it stamped in order to have ability to freely travel in and out of USA during your F1.
6. You needn't apply for change of status while being in USA instead once you withdraw I-140 you can just resign and go to your country and apply for F1 from there. From what I have heard, change of status seems to be less risky than applying through consulate.

Since you withdraw I-140 this means, you lose your priority date. So if/when you apply for GC again post MBA, you will start from scratch. Everyone I talked to recommended withdrawing I-140 first before trying to apply for F1.

If you wish to discuss further, PM me.
Intern
Intern
Schools:Fuqua (R2 w $), Darden (R2), Anderson (R2 w/int), Kenan-Flagler (R2), Kelley (R2)
Send PM
praz wrote:
This is the plan of action I received after talking to lawyers and some others who went through this mess

1. Secure I-20 from business school by arranging for funding
2. Withdraw I-140 by requesting the employer. They should send a letter to immigrations.
3. Take a copy of this letter, and create documents that support your intent to go back to your country after MBA...real estate in your name, family ties, a job offer from your country etc and apply for Change of Status from H1b to F1 while being in USA.
4. Change of status takes 2.5 months on average
5. You need not go to your country to stamp, instead you could just change to F1 status while being in USA and start MBA. You need to stamp F1 only when you leave USA (in order to return). So you can go while in school and get it stamped in order to have ability to freely travel in and out of USA during your F1.
6. You needn't apply for change of status while being in USA instead once you withdraw I-140 you can just resign and go to your country and apply for F1 from there. From what I have heard, change of status seems to be less risky than applying through consulate.

Since you withdraw I-140 this means, you lose your priority date. So if/when you apply for GC again post MBA, you will start from scratch. Everyone I talked to recommended withdrawing I-140 first before trying to apply for F1.

If you wish to discuss further, PM me.

+1
Awesome details...Thanks man! Really appreciate it.
I am not sure how willing my company will be to withdraw I-140...It's going to be a bit painful :)
Current Student
Send PM
The general consensus here seems to be to apply for COS. Is anybody still planning to go back to his home country and get a clean F1 stamping ? What are their plan of actions ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
The H1 clock would reset in your case.

quantjock wrote:
levfin2003 wrote:
Ari123 wrote:
Is it difficult for me to get F1 after my employer has filed a I 140 for me. If anyone has tried to change from H1 to F1 please post your experience. I have heard that it is very likely that my F1 would be denied since I have shown an intent to immigrate. Please answer.

This is one of the most cruel laws of the U.S. immigration. It will be very tough for you to get an F-1, to go to school full-time. One option would be to take a leave of absence or an offer letter for future employment (depends on the stage of your application).

I'm the same boat as you are. This is the main reason, I'm applying to non-U.S. schools or part-time U.S. school. Booth was the only school in the U.S. where I applied full-time, but after its heartless rejection that hope is gone as well.

Class 2012. Consider yourself lucky you didn't apply for a green card.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I'm trying to get best of both worlds, in essence
first apply for COS, get it approved. And then go to home country before classes start and get it stamped and return. My theory is- if COS is approved, I'm hoping when I go to consulate they wouldn't be so tempted to reject my stamping, and may be interested in letting me pursue my dreams. I could be wrong.
But I definitely want to stamp F1 as early as possible, ability to travel freely is important and I wish to have that.

vishwa wrote:
The general consensus here seems to be to apply for COS. Is anybody still planning to go back to his home country and get a clean F1 stamping ? What are their plan of actions ?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey guys,

Has anyone initiated the I-140 cancellation process?

Worst case scenario: Employer cancels I-140 and one does not get COS approval. If the same employer files I-140 again. Can one keep one's priority date?

Thanks!
Current Student
Send PM
praz wrote:
first apply for COS, get it approved. And then go to home country before classes start and get it stamped and return. My theory is- if COS is approved, I'm hoping when I go to consulate they wouldn't be so tempted to reject my stamping, and may be interested in letting me pursue my dreams. I could be wrong.
But I definitely want to stamp F1 as early as possible, ability to travel freely is important and I wish to have that.

vishwa wrote:

Hmm. makes sense. The only reason that I am not going ahead with this approach is then the day when COS is approved, you have to stop working.

I kinda want to keep my employment option open in case my visa gets rejected. Therefore, my plan is -
Go on a paid vacation to home country and apply for F1. If F1 approved, all well and good.
If F1 is rejected, come back to US on work visa.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
vishwa wrote:
praz wrote:

vishwa wrote:

Hmm. makes sense. The only reason that I am not going ahead with this approach is then the day when COS is approved, you have to stop working.

I kinda want to keep my employment option open in case my visa gets rejected. Therefore, my plan is -
Go on a paid vacation to home country and apply for F1. If F1 approved, all well and good.
If F1 is rejected, come back to US on work visa.

Are u sure u can do that? If they reject your F1, can u still keep the H1-B? and if they do give u the F1, can u indicate a later start date so that u can come back to US on ur H1-B and resign.

Also, r we classifed under EB1 after MBA?
Current Student
Send PM
mschumy wrote:

Are u sure u can do that? If they reject your F1, can u still keep the H1-B? and if they do give u the F1, can u indicate a later start date so that u can come back to US on ur H1-B and resign.

I doubt that.They Visa officer would first cancel your existing visa.

If you have a Masters degree,you can file under EB2.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Class2012 wrote:
mschumy wrote:

I doubt that.They Visa officer would first cancel your existing visa.

If you have a Masters degree,you can file under EB2.

I am already under EB2, but was wondering if we could change that to EB1 post MBA and not lose out on 4.5 yrs (my PD is Feb 2008) wrt immigration. I know that if u work outside the US for a yr and come back to US for the same company, they can file u under EB1.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9