Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 07:01 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 07:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Alpha Phi Omega, Golden Key, Phi Kappa Phi
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Product Development, Marketing, General Management in High Tech, (New) Media, Computer Entertainment
Schools:Ross (CGSM), Maryland, Columbia, CGSM: Stern, Darden, Cornell
 Q49  V41
GPA: 3.89
WE 1: Software/Product Dev (3 yrs)
WE 2: Patent Drafting/Prosecution (1 yr)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: MIT (Sloan) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategic Management/Corp Innovation:Healthcare/Biotech/Pharma
Schools:Indiana Kelley/Class of 2012/Full tuition $$
WE 1: Healthcare/Biomedical Research
Send PM
Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink]
Personal attack/Rant: USNews vs Businessweek MBA Rankings

Disclaimer: my future school does better in BW rankings :-D

I am of the view that the businessweek "tier" system rankings is a better reflection of reality and is better than USNews. USN's are more like the Financial Times rankings where for example -- no offence intended to anyone of Indian heritage --, the Indian School of business is at # 12, ahead of Stern, Tuck, Yale, Oxford, Kellogg, Ross, Haas, Darden to mention but a few. https://www.rankings.ft.com/businessscho ... a-rankings

I'll let you guys analyze this USN ranking and pick out many points that does not make sense like Ohio State and Emory but one example I'd throw out is the below: although I did not apply to them, I got an e-mail from UC Irvine this AM: "U.S. News and World Report released their latest edition of "America's Best Graduate Schools", and The Paul Merage School of Business Full-Time MBA program jumped 15 spots to #36 in the U.S"

For goodness' sake, how can a school jump 15 spots in one year?!?!?! :lol:
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: AI USA
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Corporate Finance
Schools:UCLA Anderson
 Q49  V35
GPA: 3.95
WE 1: General Management
WE 2: Revenue Management
WE 3: Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Case2010 wrote:
The Paul Merage School of Business Full-Time MBA program jumped 15 spots to #36 in the U.S.

They had a really good placement rate at graduation last year. Something like 95% unlike the other programs.
Current Student
Send PM
Case2010 wrote:

I am of the view that the businessweek "tier" system rankings is a better reflection of reality and is better than USNews. USN's are more like the Financial Times rankings where for example -- no offence intended to anyone of Indian heritage --, the Indian School of business is at # 12, ahead of Stern, Tuck, Yale, Oxford, Kellogg, Ross, Haas, Darden to mention but a few. https://www.rankings.ft.com/businessscho ... a-rankings

I'll let you guys analyze this USN ranking and pick out many points that does not make sense like Ohio State and Emory but one example I'd throw out is the below: although I did not apply to them, I got an e-mail from UC Irvine this AM: "U.S. News and World Report released their latest edition of "America's Best Graduate Schools", and The Paul Merage School of Business Full-Time MBA program jumped 15 spots to #36 in the U.S"

I do agree the tier system works better than an outright ranking in most cases, but business week does use a regular ranking system for the fist 20+ schools.

The problem with Business Week is that the tiers are way too wide and when you look at the rankings they just don't correspond to what real people think. Stanford at #6? Duke above MIT? Yale at 24? Cornell above Tuck?

I find those that use the USNews rankings best are those that look at it in a tiered approach. They look at what band a school has resided in for many years and make decisions based on that.

All that being said ... I physically jumped out of my seat and told several friends when I saw MIT move up to #3 from #5!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Schools:Stanford, Haas, Stern
Send PM
maxtor wrote:
Case2010 wrote:

I do agree the tier system works better than an outright ranking in most cases, but business week does use a regular ranking system for the fist 20+ schools.

The problem with Business Week is that the tiers are way too wide and when you look at the rankings they just don't correspond to what real people think. Stanford at #6? Duke above MIT? Yale at 24? Cornell above Tuck?

I find those that use the USNews rankings best are those that look at it in a tiered approach. They look at what band a school has resided in for many years and make decisions based on that.

All that being said ... I physically jumped out of my seat and told several friends when I saw MIT move up to #3 from #5!

Totally agree about rankings.
Current Student
Send PM
Its pretty quiet over here.

Has everybody accepted and rejected all their schools? Are people ready to finally color one of their schools as blue?
Intern
Intern
Schools:Indiana University - Kelley School of Business Class of 2012
Send PM
Headed to Indiana and all other schools officially notified. I'm glad that part of the journey is over!
Manager
Manager
Schools:Stanford, Haas, Stern
Send PM
Marshall seems surprisingly difficult to get into via CGSM. Do you think that is becuase people rank it low and the adcom is turned off by this?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Schools:Texas '12
Send PM
I wouldn’t say the adcon is turned off so much as knowing that being lower on the totem pole ranking wise decreases the odds of matriculation. Most CGSM students apply to multiple schools and many of the candidates will go to the “higher ranked” school if accepted to more then one. Just my $0.02.

mbaTime wrote:
Marshall seems surprisingly difficult to get into via CGSM. Do you think that is becuase people rank it low and the adcom is turned off by this?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance & Entreprenuerial Management
Schools:Wharton Class of 2012 w/ fellowship
GPA: 3.4 - Top 5 UG
Send PM
Marshall also has an extremely small class....220, that alone, like Yale and Dartmouth, make it very difficult to get into even though it's not ranked as high.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Product Development, Marketing, General Management in High Tech, (New) Media, Computer Entertainment
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Hi everyone! I've been away for a little bit (uber-busy at work), but I took a quick break to post and update my profile: I've withdrawn my other applications, and will be at Ross this fall!

Go Blue!
Manager
Manager
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Btw, it looks like OP flights are being booked. I received my itinerary today. Keep an eye on your email/spam folder (the email came from an email address @gwins.com). I believe you have 24 hours to make any changes to your itinerary if there is some sort of conflict or mistake.

See you at OP!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:NYU Stern 2012
Send PM
idcandy wrote:
Btw, it looks like OP flights are being booked. I received my itinerary today. Keep an eye on your email/spam folder (the email came from an email address @gwins.com). I believe you have 24 hours to make any changes to your itinerary if there is some sort of conflict or mistake.

See you at OP!

thanks for the heads up, I still haven't heard yet. But I do have a pretty messed up itinerary, so that could be why. It's too bad you're not coming to Stern, but I guess I understand. If you're ever out for recruiting and such give me a call. See you at OP.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
It's been so quiet here, I can feel the cold.....even my loud mouth has been MIA for some time now... :lol:
Current Student
Send PM
This is random ... but the thread has gotten stale now that we aren't sweating bullets anymore.

For anyone turning down a Fellowship, weather for another non-Consortium school or another school within the consortium:

How do you handle all the people who look at you funny and say "You turned down a full ride?!?!?"

Maybe its just me ... but it seems to come up more than I expected.
Current Student
Send PM
Case2010 wrote:
It's been so quiet here, I can feel the cold.....even my loud mouth has been MIA for some time now... :lol:

I know what you mean. We used to all congregate and talk. Support each other. Now I come here and reminisce over past posts.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
maxtor wrote:
This is random ... but the thread has gotten stale now that we aren't sweating bullets anymore.

For anyone turning down a Fellowship, weather for another non-Consortium school or another school within the consortium:

How do you handle all the people who look at you funny and say "You turned down a full ride?!?!?"

Maybe its just me ... but it seems to come up more than I expected.

Ok, maxtor...lets get some conversation rolling...Obviously you turned somebody down for Sloan, right? How have you responded to that multibillion$$ question :-D ....Did you get something comparable from MIT?
maxtor wrote:
I know what you mean. We used to all congregate and talk. Support each other. Now I come here and reminisce over past posts.

It was once fun but I guess, every so often, we can rekindle some flames...
Current Student
Send PM
Case2010 wrote:
Ok, maxtor...lets get some conversation rolling...Obviously you turned somebody down for Sloan, right? How have you responded to that multibillion$$ question :-D ....Did you get something comparable from MIT?

I turned down a full to Carnegie Mellon. I have a Computer Related undergrad and want to go into High-Tech and Entrepreneurship. It was really a tough choice. CMU has a very good program and since I'm not looking to go into Finance or Consulting, I'm pretty sure they would have serviced most of my needs for no money.

Alas, I am a nerd at heart. I have dreamed of saying I went to MIT just to say it. Also, they actually did offer me a large partial scholarship. I'll hate the coldness of Boston, but it'll be a "nice" change.

Case2010 wrote:
It was once fun but I guess, every so often, we can rekindle some flames...

We haven't matriculated yet ... so we can still talk about ... something. I have found this thread out of all the official "Calling X Applicants" ones to be a lot more personal and supportive. :cry: I told myself I wouldn't cry ...

Also ... I am literally counting down the days until I officially end and I need something to occupy my mind during the day.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45