Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 00:50 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 00:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance & Entreprenuerial Management
Schools:Wharton Class of 2012 w/ fellowship
GPA: 3.4 - Top 5 UG
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: USMC
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Schools:Darden '12
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: MIT (Sloan) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink]
Its quiet again ...

What are people's summer plans?
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Stanford, Haas, Stern
Send PM
I'm still waitlisted at Stern with no word from the Consoritum (since I only applied to one school via CGSM). Anybody else in this position?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
What happens to my application if I apply to several schools through the Consortium and it turns out that they don't feel that I "support their mission" enough? Will my app to those schools automatically be thrown out?
Current Student
Send PM
username123 wrote:
What happens to my application if I apply to several schools through the Consortium and it turns out that they don't feel that I "support their mission" enough? Will my app to those schools automatically be thrown out?

From what I understand, the consortium will still pass your apps along to the schools and you will still be considered for admission, but it might come into play when it comes to getting a fellowship or membership. And to get the fellowship (full ride tuition) you need to be granted membership into the consortium.

Also, the main essay is very much about how you support the mission. You would probably end up giving yourself a very weak essay and hurt your chances of getting into these schools.
Director
Director
Given Kudos: 13
Schools:Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Send PM
I have a question for everyone...if you had to do it all over again, would you still apply through the consortium? Would you apply to fewer/more schools?

Another question about what people think about my candidacy. I am an URM, however I'm not sure what adcoms would think of my commitment to the mission. I worked in real estate development (construction management), mainly on small entry level housing developments in working class type neighborhoods. This was in Los Angeles, so these neighborhoods for the most part were heavily hispanic/african american. The experiences I had led me to become interested in affordable housing, economic development, community development, etc in these types of neighborhoods. I went back to school to get my masters in city planning, which I am currently in the process of completing, in order to work in this field. This summer I'll be working for an affordable housing development organization. I'm not sure if this is enough commitment?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Michigan - Ross Class of 2012
 Q42  V39
GPA: 3.41
WE 1: Marketing within Financial Services
Send PM
VictoryMBA wrote:
I have a question for everyone...if you had to do it all over again, would you still apply through the consortium? Would you apply to fewer/more schools?

Another question about what people think about my candidacy. I am an URM, however I'm not sure what adcoms would think of my commitment to the mission. I worked in real estate development (construction management), mainly on small entry level housing developments in working class type neighborhoods. This was in Los Angeles, so these neighborhoods for the most part were heavily hispanic/african american. The experiences I had led me to become interested in affordable housing, economic development, community development, etc in these types of neighborhoods. I went back to school to get my masters in city planning, which I am currently in the process of completing, in order to work in this field. This summer I'll be working for an affordable housing development organization. I'm not sure if this is enough commitment?

I think you can definitely apply through the Consortium. There's a lot of meat in there, it's all in how you look at it and position it to others in your essays.

I would apply through the Consortium all over again in a heartbeat. I applied to 4 schools and that was good for me...I was tempted to do all 6 but it was tough for me to show genuine interest and commitment in 6 school specific essays as you move further down your list. 3 or 4 is a good number and if your 1 or 2 don't work out, it's not so far down the list that the schools might still offer you full fellowships. As you move into 5 or 6, make sure you would REALLY go there if you get in no where else otherwise you're wasting your time and their time.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: USMC
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Schools:Darden '12
Send PM
VictoryMBA wrote:

my response from page 31:

Although I got accepted into Darden, I still have my concerns about applying via the CGSM route and if I had to do it over again, I wouldn't. This isn't because I'm discouraging non-URMs who have shown a distinct commitment to the CGSM mission, its more of a warning for a non-URM that is also a non-traditional candidate. because my background is a little more spread out than most applicants (12 years WE, in 4 diff industries), it was extremely difficult to condense and write something compelling in the limited CGSM essay format. Without the "try to get to know you" essay topics like, "tell me about a time you led people" or "tell me about a difficult decision", etc, writing only the standard "tell me your work history" and "why XYZ MBA program", made it very difficult as a non-traditional applicant to write these essays and show a genuine and compelling picture of myself. yes, there is the CGSM mission oriented essay prompt, but unless the CGSM mission has been a focal point in your career, a non-URM+nontraditional candidate may have a difficult time telling "the whole story" because you're too busy "proving" yourself to the CGSM rather than telling them about your passions and motivations.

just food for thought.
Manager
Manager
Schools:Stanford, Haas, Stern
Send PM
Yeah I have also thought about the pros and cons of applying through the CGSM. And, I agree with you to some extent that the application is limited about what you are able to express to the AdCom. However, it is still pretty tempting to apply through the CGSM becuase of the fellowship and consolidated application process.

my response from page 31:

Although I got accepted into Darden, I still have my concerns about applying via the CGSM route and if I had to do it over again, I wouldn't. This isn't because I'm discouraging non-URMs who have shown a distinct commitment to the CGSM mission, its more of a warning for a non-URM that is also a non-traditional candidate. because my background is a little more spread out than most applicants (12 years WE, in 4 diff industries), it was extremely difficult to condense and write something compelling in the limited CGSM essay format. Without the "try to get to know you" essay topics like, "tell me about a time you led people" or "tell me about a difficult decision", etc, writing only the standard "tell me your work history" and "why XYZ MBA program", made it very difficult as a non-traditional applicant to write these essays and show a genuine and compelling picture of myself. yes, there is the CGSM mission oriented essay prompt, but unless the CGSM mission has been a focal point in your career, a non-URM+nontraditional candidate may have a difficult time telling "the whole story" because you're too busy "proving" yourself to the CGSM rather than telling them about your passions and motivations.

just food for thought.
[/quote]
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Concentration: Finance; Marketing; Real Estate
Schools:Haas, Yale, Ross, UCLA,
 Q47  V41
GPA: 3.7
WE 1: 2 FT years teaching ESL to adults in Sacramento
WE 2: 2 FT years analyst for State
Send PM
Hey guys,
Is there a Call all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants? Or, how can I start one? :)

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategic Management/Corp Innovation:Healthcare/Biotech/Pharma
Schools:Indiana Kelley/Class of 2012/Full tuition $$
WE 1: Healthcare/Biomedical Research
Send PM
Funny how many of us literally spent half of our waking hours here only a few months ago but now this forum is more like a ghostland. Anyways, this is me, back from "the dead", volleying a hello to everyone. Whats been happening? How has your OP prep(s) been coming along?
Current Student
Send PM
In joining Case2010 in an attempt to revive this forum, I will publicly announce the immense level of jealousy that I have for everyone who is attending OP.

That is all ...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
maxtor wrote:
In joining Case2010 in an attempt to revive this forum, I will publicly announce the immense level of jealousy that I have for everyone who is attending OP.
That is all ...

ha ha @ maxtor. Well, you are going to MIT, a global brand. How about dousing your "jealousy radar" with the reminder that some of us are going to schools without the MIT brand. I am sure that if both of us find ourselves in ....lets say, inner Mongolia or on the outskirts of Siberia or downtown Kandahar (am not sure why this will happen but :lol: ), while they may not recognize the names Sloan or Kelley, someone knows about MIT and when I say Indiana, they'll be like "huh"? :-D
Current Student
Send PM
Case2010 wrote:
ha ha @ maxtor. Well, you are going to MIT, a global brand. How about dousing your "jealousy radar" with the reminder that some of us are going to schools without the MIT brand. I am sure that if both of us find ourselves in ....lets say, inner Mongolia or on the outskirts of Siberia or downtown Kandahar (am not sure why this will happen but :lol: ), while they may not recognize the names Sloan or Kelley, someone knows about MIT and when I say Indiana, they'll be like "huh"? :-D

Brand smand ... I want a free plane ticket for a weekend in Orlando with access to top brass at companies I want to get involved with.

And I'm pretty sure the Siberian person would make a joke about how big my students loans must be, in Russian too. And then they would expect me to fix their computer (which I can do because of undergrad, but is not an MBA skill).
Manager
Manager
Send PM
maxtor wrote:
Case2010 wrote:

Brand smand ... I want a free plane ticket for a weekend in Orlando with access to top brass at companies I want to get involved with.

And I'm pretty sure the Siberian person would make a joke about how big my students loans must be, in Russian too. And then they would expect me to fix their computer (which I can do because of undergrad, but is not an MBA skill).

Nice one maxtor. You sure do have a point. Well, I hope for the best. Despite all the effort Kelley has put into getting us ready, I think I am still behind. Itz clear that without adequate prep, chances of getting a gig at OP is very limited....
Current Student
Send PM
Case2010 wrote:
Nice one maxtor. You sure do have a point. Well, I hope for the best. Despite all the effort Kelley has put into getting us ready, I think I am still behind. Itz clear that without adequate prep, chances of getting a gig at OP is very limited....

You'll be fine in terms of prep. There seem to be a lot of schools and resources to help prepare. I'm in MLT and they have a lot of special resources just for the folks going to OP. I also got a few emails from schools before I had turned down my Consortium offer about prep sessions and webinars.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Schools:HBS R2, Stanford R2, Wharton R2, Columbia RD, Tuck R2, Darden R2, Texas R2
Send PM
VictoryMBA wrote:

Another question about what people think about my candidacy. I am an URM, however I'm not sure what adcoms would think of my commitment to the mission.

I would definitely apply through the consortium in your case - you have a compelling interest in wanting to "give back", and if articulated well, that can be a huge plus. While I eventually passed on my Consortium admission offers, I found it to be a good experience, a good mission, and the member school definitely take the applicants seriously.

Some people mentioned that there is little space to tell specific school interest in the essay format, but I disagree; think of it as an opportunity to write succinctly and powerfully. Generally speaking, I found in my applications that if an essay required a significantly higher than allowed word count to "sound right", you are probably writing about the wrong things. Remember, you have to interview BEFORE you submit your application with the Consortium, so I would argue that this takes an added dimension of importance and fills the essay gaps in a way that a traditional application does not.

Bottom line, applying through the Consortium can only HELP your chances of admission, and will save you some money as well. Treat the applicantions like you would at any other school, make sure you would actually consider matriculating there (ADCOMS have a way of sniffing that out), and give it a go. I can say nothing but good things about my experience with it, and I truly wish I had a way of remaining involved with what they are trying to do.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 36
I saw this question posted on the Yale thread, and I don't think it was answered:

Does anyone who applied to Yale feel like applying through the Consortium may have hurt their chances? I think the statistics showed that only 1 out of the 12 people who applied through the Consortium got in, versus a much higher percentage of people who applied regularly.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45