Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 01:01 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 01:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Columbia 2013 (accepted)
 Q48  V41
WE 1: Marine Infantry Officer (4 yrs)
WE 2: Aerospace (2.5 yrs)
Send PM
Re: All GMAT CAT Practice Tests - links, prices, reviews [#permalink]
No way does the first Manhattan CAT come close to accurately predicting your final score. Plus, Manhattan has a vested interest in you scoring low, this causes you to be more likely to purchase their preparation package.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72907 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
jackhrobbins wrote:
No way does the first Manhattan CAT come close to accurately predicting your final score. Plus, Manhattan has a vested interest in you scoring low, this causes you to be more likely to purchase their preparation package.

That's not accurate. See this tool: https://gmatclub.com/gmat-score-calculator/
You can see a pretty strong correlation between MGMAT and Real GMAT. If I were you, I would focus on the GMATPrep and PowerPrep.

What you are saying also does not make sense - If i bought MGMAT materials and after using them, still scored pretty low, why would I buy their course? They are using the same books in the course, and tests too, so why would I sign up?

I think you need to be more specific with your facts. Otherwise, it's just another opinion and there are plenty of those on the internet...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
This was a good list, there are tons of tests, more than I had known about.

However, in my personal experience, I just started taking tests and hoping practice and taking them would improve my staimina. My scores did not improve, just got frustrated. It was only after I stopped taking practice tests and went over strategy until I got a solid foundation did my scores get better.

So just because there are tons of free tests, I just took them to take advantage of the free resource, and it wasn't an optimal way to go for me. Just because they're available, doesn't mean you have to utilize it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Hi everybody,
I have a doubt regarding the Kaplan free test that is available.I scored 640 in the free test - Q 41 (9 wrong) and Verbal 40 (10 wrong). I 'd like to know how reflective the scores are; specially after hearing that they have changed the algorithm and things like that. Is there a reason why I scored a mere 41 inn quants while I did only 9 questions wrong? And the questions i went wrong were not the initial 9 questions! I request you to please help me regarding this.

Regards
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Concentration: Tuck,Cornell,Duke
 Q47  V20 GMAT 2: 560  Q45  V22
WE 1: 4.6 years Exp IT prof
Send PM
Thanks Alot mate this is one of the best post related to GMAT tests I have seen so far
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Hey, just wanna warn those of you who rely too much on their MGMAT CAT scores.
I just had my real GMAT today, and was totally unprepared to get a mediocre 640 - a rule of first-10 crucial questions in force!
I consistently scored 680-690 in MGMAT test, and no matter how many mistakes I'd made in the beginning, I still managed to climb up to 680 or higher.
While in the real test, no matter how good I was in the end, the program never gave me questions difficult enough to climb back to the the upper-600s. Questions were easy, and I finished 20 minutes earlier!

To me, it seems like the first-10Q rule doesn't apply in the MGMAT.
Although in other ways MGMAT Cats rock!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 519 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
Schools: Carey '16
Send PM
merryweather wrote:
I just had my real GMAT today, and was totally unprepared to get a mediocre 640 - a rule of first-10 crucial questions in force!
I consistently scored 680-690 in MGMAT test, and no matter how many mistakes I'd made in the beginning, I still managed to climb up to 680 or higher.
While in the real test, no matter how good I was in the end, the program never gave me questions difficult enough to climb back to the the upper-600s. Questions were easy, and I finished 20 minutes earlier!

yeah I noticed that too. Like I'd be scoring right now in the 570's and I'd get like maybe the first 4 out of 10 wrong and still manage to climb back up.

But here's the catch....

the first question on the MGMAT is always like a 500 level question but if you get that right the level of difficulty doesn't increase linearly, but exponentially! The new few questions I've gotten were 700-800 lvl questions! It's weird.

In any event, I've heard that he MGMAT is the closest thing you can get to the real deal so I'm putting my money where my mouth is and sticking to it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Send PM
psychomath wrote:
Hi everybody,
I have a doubt regarding the Kaplan free test that is available.I scored 640 in the free test - Q 41 (9 wrong) and Verbal 40 (10 wrong). I 'd like to know how reflective the scores are; specially after hearing that they have changed the algorithm and things like that. Is there a reason why I scored a mere 41 inn quants while I did only 9 questions wrong? And the questions i went wrong were not the initial 9 questions! I request you to please help me regarding this.

Regards

Kaplan CAT's are usually harder than MGMAT's & GMAT prep. However you shouldn't have that false hope that you'll better on the GMAT.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Tuck Class of 2013
Send PM
Kudos
Hey, wait a minute ! What's going on ?! :x

I clearly remember that the MGMAT tests were second only to the GMATPREP (or the GMATCLUB Tests), but now the rank in the first page is this:

1. GMAT Prep
2. GMAT Club's Tests
2.1. GMAT Club Diagnostic GMAT Test
3. Kaplan GMAT
4. Knewton
5. Manhattan GMAT Tests

Can someone please explain to me what has happened ? Why the Kaplan tests are now better then the MGMAT ?!?
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72907 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
MBAUncle wrote:
Hey, wait a minute ! What's going on ?! :x

I clearly remember that the MGMAT tests were second only to the GMATPREP (or the GMATCLUB Tests), but now the rank in the first page is this:

1. GMAT Prep
2. GMAT Club's Tests
2.1. GMAT Club Diagnostic GMAT Test
3. Kaplan GMAT
4. Knewton
5. Manhattan GMAT Tests

Can someone please explain to me what has happened ? Why the Kaplan tests are now better then the MGMAT ?!?

:) Does not mean they are better - that's why there are stars next to each test.
The top 5 tests are arranged alphabetically now (except GMAT Prep which is first). I have taken my opinion out of it and let the users rank them as they thought fit.

Looking at votes, your chart is correct - MGMAT tests are half a star ahead of Kaplan or Knewton.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
merryweather wrote:

So you recommend focusing on first 10Q?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Guys,
Is there any way to review the essays submitted in the GmatPrep practice tests? The review screen at the end of the test shows only quant and verbal questions.
Current Student
Send PM
watchout4me wrote:
Guys,
Is there any way to review the essays submitted in the GmatPrep practice tests? The review screen at the end of the test shows only quant and verbal questions.

No. Next time open a Word file and switch windows during your GMATPREP test.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2932 [1]
Given Kudos: 25
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Kudos
I have been giving several CATs ahead of the real thing, and have some feedback on the same. I dont think there is any doubt that the GMAT-Prep CAT is very good and quite reflective of the actual thing. Apart from this, I have also given 3 MGMAT ones and 1 Kaplan one.

On the Kaplan test, I am not a 100% confident on how accurate the scoring is, but the standard of the test seemed pretty much inline

On the MGMAT tests, the tests are incredibly hard ! On the three tests I have given I got a q50, q50 and q51 so I think my quant is pretty good. But I see very little advantage in doing the kind of questions they have on the test. they are incredibly hard almost to the extent that I can't see them being part of the GMAT ... In every CAT I have given, I have gotten questions which are much much harder than anything inside the OG which is supposed to be the official source !
Even on the verbal sections, the difficultly level is pretty high. An observation I had is that I got a lot of CR and RC questions wrong almost more than the SC ones I got wrong, I found this surprising because this was contrary to all my observations while preparing. My theory is that there are a lot of "hairy" questions in there whose answers are not very obvious and can be argued one way or the other. As an example look at the two questions below :

In Q1, the same fact that is use to conclude (c) is the answer is used to conclude that (d) isnt !

In Q2, it is claimed that (e) is the answer, whereas in similar questions earlier I have seen explanations which would say that the use of "her" is misplaces in this choice since the subject of the sentence is Agatha Christie's travels and not Agatha Christie making "her" an orphaned pronoun and hence this choice is incorrect.

I might be ranting a bit, but it is frustrating doing tests, where the quest to make them harder and harder ends up making the questions unrealistic and confusing.
Attachments

File comment: SC Question
Q2.JPG
Q2.JPG [ 49.79 KiB | Viewed 9976 times ]

File comment: CR Question
Q1.JPG
Q1.JPG [ 119.22 KiB | Viewed 9939 times ]

Current Student
Send PM
shrouded1 wrote:
I have been giving several CATs ahead of the real thing, and have some feedback on the same. I dont think there is any doubt that the GMAT-Prep CAT is very good and quite reflective of the actual thing. Apart from this, I have also given 3 MGMAT ones and 1 Kaplan one.

On the Kaplan test, I am not a 100% confident on how accurate the scoring is, but the standard of the test seemed pretty much inline

On the MGMAT tests, the tests are incredibly hard ! On the three tests I have given I got a q50, q50 and q51 so I think my quant is pretty good. But I see very little advantage in doing the kind of questions they have on the test. they are incredibly hard almost to the extent that I can't see them being part of the GMAT ... In every CAT I have given, I have gotten questions which are much much harder than anything inside the OG which is supposed to be the official source !
Even on the verbal sections, the difficultly level is pretty high. An observation I had is that I got a lot of CR and RC questions wrong almost more than the SC ones I got wrong, I found this surprising because this was contrary to all my observations while preparing. My theory is that there are a lot of "hairy" questions in there whose answers are not very obvious and can be argued one way or the other. As an example look at the two questions below :

In Q1, the same fact that is use to conclude (c) is the answer is used to conclude that (d) isnt !

In Q2, it is claimed that (e) is the answer, whereas in similar questions earlier I have seen explanations which would say that the use of "her" is misplaces in this choice since the subject of the sentence is Agatha Christie's travels and not Agatha Christie making "her" an orphaned pronoun and hence this choice is incorrect.

I might be ranting a bit, but it is frustrating doing tests, where the quest to make them harder and harder ends up making the questions unrealistic and confusing.

Good post shrouded1. I also have struggled with these unusual CR and RC questions on the MGMAT CATs and now I will switch to Kaplan tests.

Scoring system apart, how do you compare the questions from Kaplan to the GMATPREP's ?

Thanks.

Originally posted by MBAUncle on 16 Sep 2010, 11:38.
Last edited by MBAUncle on 16 Sep 2010, 14:16, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3179 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
I agree completely with the fact that many of the CR and RC questions are skewed in MGMAT tests. Loose reasoning is a commonplace in MGMAT tests.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I dont think the free Kaplan test is CAT. I tried taking the test for the second time and got exactly the same questions.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  28