Last visit was: 08 May 2024, 00:07 It is currently 08 May 2024, 00:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Aringo Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Duke
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3470 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Duke
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink]
whiplash2411 wrote:
ThomasD wrote:
Hi Guys,

has anyone found info on when possible class visits can be scheduled? I can find the information for the general information sessions on https://www.hbs.edu/mba/admissions/visit.html , but no idea about actual class visits. Are they going to update that once classes start? When do classes start - I couldn't find that either... Does anyone know anything about this? If I visit I want to sit in on a class and get to experience what it would be like to go to HBS. I do not fly out and just attend some standard information session....

I think class visits start in September and go on for the length of the term and end in March or something. I remember seeing an email id on the HBS website for this - classvisits@hbs.edu. But if you can't find it, you can contact them with your question and they'll send you a reply with information. Check out these links that talk about class visits and class visit schedules.

Also, please update your information in the spreadsheet in the first post if you are applying to HBS.

Quote:
Hi,
I have a question related to recommendations.
I won't get any rec from my direct supervisor. He thought of an MBA as a non-sense effort.
Others schools like MIT, Stanford, Cornell etc. are accepting recs from others sources, provided that you explain your excuse in an additional essay.
But HBS did not say anything about it.
Does someone any idea about it ?
Because it will mean that I could not apply to HBS bacause of that.
Thank you in advance

I don't think it matters that you can't get it from a direct supervisor. They just want people who can talk candidly about you in a manner that will benefit the admissions committee to make a decision. Please check out other threads in the forum that talk about this.

Thanks for your help whiplash, but I think the information has not been updated yet for this fall season. I guess it's just waiting ... keeping busy with our essays
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 104
Concentration: Finance; Entrepreneurship
Schools:MIT Sloan Class of 2013
 Q49  V36
Send PM
Thanks whiplash. I have a GPA of 3.15, do you guys think I should use the undergraduate experience essay to explain my mediocre GPA or should I not draw attention to it? I'm in for R1, by the way.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Hi,
Regarding TOEFL requirements:

Even if a candidate has done his UG in a non-English university but has completed his/her Masters in a english university like me in U.S. is he/she expected to take the Toefl exam ?

I mean from the requirements posted it seems TOEFL is required, but i kind of don't understand the need for it...especially if a more recent degree is from a English university and my work too has been in a english speaking nation.

Any pointers are welcome !

Thx
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Good Luck all 2+2 Applicants on getting an interview invite today -- if you have any questions about the 2+2 interview,
just post or write to me at hbsguru@gmail.com.
I've done 100's of HBS mock interviews (not a figure of speech, actual 100's), and many, many 2+2 mock interviews.
read post below for some initial tips:

hbsguru wrote:
HBS 2+2 INTERVIEW PREP

I've done a lot of HBS 2+2 mock interviews: Since the 2+2 program began, HBS has probably interviewed close to 450-500 2+2 candidates in total and I have done mock interviews with close to 20 of them --and that is just the 2+2 program.

Last year, for its regular admission cycle, HBS interviewed 1800 people--I gave mock interviews to over 100 of those 1800 people.

I really know how to do this, read testimonials below.

Over the past 10 years, I have probably done over 600 HBS mock interviews. My knowledge of how to prepare you for an HBS mock interview is based on those experiences.

I KNOW QUESTIONS TYPICALLY ASKED TO 2+2 CANDIDATES, BOTH US AND INTERNATIONAL--THOSE WHO ARE LIBERAL ARTS MAJORS, SOCIAL SCIENCE MAJORS, AND SCIENCE MAJORS.

I know typical HBS questions often asked to 2+2 candidates with summer work experience as investment bankers, venture capital and hedge fund associates, medical and lab researchers, non-profit interns, Washington interns, Obama interns, McCain interns, Palin nannies and sled dog wranglers, interns at Fortune 500 companies, interns at start-ups and kids who started their own companies.
I know how to help you formulate your core story in ways which can be applied to many questions.
I can predict trouble areas in your application and help you come up with talking points to deal with them.
I can sense what your particular needs are in terms of presentation, for example, if you don't get to the point soon enough (a possibly fatal habit) or if you appear too aggressive or too arrogant or confident in the wrong way for often thin-skinned (and just plain thin) HBS interviewers (some of whom are predisposed not to like bankers).
I can help you create a back story for your goals which creates a solid platform for Why MBA, Why HBS?
can help you prepare a strong answer to the question "Why should we take you?" This questions is often asked in several forms:
"What can YOU contribute to case method discussion based on background and experience?"
"How will your classmates remember you?"
"How have you grown as a leader?"
I can calm you down, although that will not be the first thing that happens.
I can help you formulate answers to 'ice-breaker' questions such as:
"I already know you from your application, just tell me what you think the three defining moments in your life are?"
"Pretend I have not read your application and I just met you. Tell me who you are, what you've done, and where you want to be 15 years?"
I can help prepare you to face such recently popular questions as:
"What is one thing that is not immediately apparent about you to others?"
"How would your friends describe you?"
"How has the financial crisis impacted you, your friends, your industry and your goals?"
THE PROCESS:THE MOCK INTERVIEW IS DONE BY PHONE.
If you want a mock HBS interview, send me an email to hbsguru.com, telling me when your interview is, what time zone you are in, what days and times are good for you, and attaching a resume. I will reply back w. dates and times, etc. Then you send me a pdf of your HBS application and we set up a time for the interview. Mock interviews take about 60-70 minutes. The price is $300.00 dollars USD. You pay me when we speak and do the interview.
THIS WAS LETTER SENT TO 2+2 KIDS TODAY WHO GOT INTERVIEW INVITES. --CONGRATS TO ALL.
WE DO 2+2 INTERVIEW PREP--SERIOUSLY GOOD.
CHECK IT OUT
https://hbsguru.com/2+2Interviews.html

[HBS HEADER--IF YOU WANT TO SEE
https://forums.businessweek.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?tsn=21977&nav=messages&webtag=bw-bschools&tid=10180
Dear Future Master of the Universe:

Warm greetings from Harvard Business School!

After careful consideration of your 2+2 Program application materials, we are delighted to inform you that you have been selected for an interview with a member of our MBA Admissions Board. We look forward to the opportunity to get to know you better through our interview process.

We use an online scheduling system to manage our interview process. Since we know that many of our interviewees will need to make travel arrangements to our campus in Boston for their interview, we are sending this message in advance so that you are aware of our interview schedule. We hope this advance notice is helpful to you as you plan for your interview.

All interviews will take place on our campus in Boston. We will have interview slots available at 9:00am, 10:00am, 11:00am, 1:00pm, 2:00pm, and 3:00pm every day from August 18 to August 24. You will receive another email from MBA Admissions at noon on Tuesday, July 20 with a link to our online scheduling system. You will be able to select a specific interview slot at that time. Please note that all of our interview slots are available on a first-come, first-served basis. In the past, our interview slots have filled very quickly, so we encourage you to be prompt in selecting your slot.

You may find it helpful to review the activities available on our campus during your visit, as well as hotel and travel information. Please see our website for more details. Note that we will offer a lunchtime information session exclusively for 2+2 interviewees every day from August 18-24.

Again, we hope this advance notice is helpful to you. Thank you for your interest in Harvard Business School, and we look forward to meeting you soon.

Sincerely yours,
MBA Admissions
Harvard Business School
Soldiers Field Road
Dillon House
Boston, MA 02163
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare
Send PM
hbsguru wrote:
HBS entering class by year of college grad
OFFICIAL HARVARD BUSINESS SCHOOL CHART OF
COLLEGE YEAR OF GRADUATION FOR CLASS ENTERING THIS
SEPTEMBER

YOUTH JIHAD –THE LIVING PROOF.

THESE STATS FROM HBS WEBSITE ARE BASICALLY THE SAME DISTRIBUTION AS THE PAST 4 YEARS OR SO.

SO IF YOU ARE APPLYING THIS YEAR, CLASS OF 2005 BECOMES THE DEAD ZONE, E.G. HUGE DROP OFF FROM THE SWEET SPOT–WHICH FOR THIS YEAR IS CLASSES OF 2006, 2007, 2008. NOTE THAT OF THE 113 PEEPS OUTSIDE THE SWEET SPOT (ON THE GEEZER SIDE), WE ARE TALKING SORTA 40 MILITARY, 10-15 MDS, 10-15 PHDS IN BIOSCIENCE ETC. SO THE ACTUAL NUMBER OF NORMAL PEOPLE IN THAT GROUP IS MAYBE 40, MOST OF WHOM ARE IN VERY NEXT CLASS, THIS YEAR, 2005.

ALSO NOTE WILD CARD: NEXT YEAR THE FIRST 2+2 INFANTS ARRIVE –TO WIT, 106 KIDS WHO HAVE ALREADY BEEN ACCEPTED AND ARE COLLEGE CLASS OF 2008, NOT SURE IF THAT WILL SWELL THE SWEET SPOT EVEN MORE, IF HBS WILL INCREASE ENROLLMENT (DONT THINK SO) OR WHAAAA–INCLUDING JUST TAKING 106 LESS KIDS ACROSS THE ENTIRE AGE BRACKETS, WHICH WLD STILL HAVE IMPACT OF MAKING CLASS EVEN YOUNGER.

What are your thoughts on HBS admission chances for those with PhDs in the biosciences? Does HBS look favorably upon these candidates? How important is work experience in this situation (after earning the PhD)?
[quote="sid05What are your thoughts on HBS admission chances for those with PhDs in the biosciences? Does HBS look favorably upon these candidates? How important is work experience in this situation (after earning the PhD)?[/quote]
hmmmmm, depends on school and grades, believe it or not, altho bioscience is a favored PHD topic at HBS, so that is an advant. BUT, if you dont have work exp. grades and schooling and internships,etc. will really count, and maybe research intersets, and also surprisingly, extra currics, b.c. basically they are not looking for super scientists, if you are a flippin genius, well, dude, for the sake of all of us, please stay doing what your doing. Bioscience advances WAY MORE impt than business BS.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare
Send PM
hbsguru wrote:
[quote="sid05What are your thoughts on HBS admission chances for those with PhDs in the biosciences? Does HBS look favorably upon these candidates? How important is work experience in this situation (after earning the PhD)?

hmmmmm, depends on school and grades, believe it or not, altho bioscience is a favored PHD topic at HBS, so that is an advant. BUT, if you dont have work exp. grades and schooling and internships,etc. will really count, and maybe research intersets, and also surprisingly, extra currics, b.c. basically they are not looking for super scientists, if you are a flippin genius, well, dude, for the sake of all of us, please stay doing what your doing. Bioscience advances WAY MORE impt than business BS.
[/quote]

I'm considering this as I am currently doing my PhD at the engineering school (bioengineering) of one of the "M7" schools and have no interest in going towards academia. 3.9 GPA BS and MS, haven't taken the GMAT yet but I anticipate studying and doing fairly well. No work experience though since the PhD was straight after UG, so I'm trying to use the opportunities that area available to me in order to strengthen my app (still have 2 years before applying). My research focus has plenty of 'buzz words' associated with it, including stem cells and nanotech. Any advice?
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: HLS
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Hi hbsguru,

can you share some of the previous 2+2 interview questions or questions alike?

Good luck to all the interviewees!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Targeting R1...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hey guys, I'll be applying for HBS 2+2 next summer. Good luck to all of you!

I'd be stoked if you chanced my profile for me
UG: University of Hawaii, Honors Program
Majors: Poli Sci and Econ
GPA: 3.77 (4.0 in majors)
GMAT: will take it next semester after manhattan GMAT prep.
ECs and WE: Student instructor for econ, President of tutoring organization on campus, field organizer for local politician, honors scholarship for leadership and service, Youth counselor for campus family counseling center, received fully funded scholarship to intern for Hawaii senator in DC
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 674 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
 Q48  V33 GMAT 2: 670  Q46  V36 GMAT 3: 720  Q49  V40
Send PM
in for round 1
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3470 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
Kindly update your profiles in the Google doc above. Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
A question about the following from HBS's website:

Quote:
Recommender Questions for the Class of 2013

Recommendations must be completed online. The form includes the following three essay response questions, along with other types of questions.

* Please comment on the context of your interaction with the applicant. How long have you known the applicant and in what connection? If applicable, briefly describe the applicant's role in your organization. (250-word limit)
* Please describe the most important piece of constructive feedback you have given the applicant. Please detail the circumstances and the applicant's response. (250-word limit)
* Please make additional statements about the applicant's performance, potential, or personal qualities you believe would be helpful to the MBA Admissions Board. (250-word limit)

See that part at the beginning? "The form includes the following three essay response questions, along with other types of questions." Anybody know what other questions will be asked? I'd like to prepare my recommenders ahead of time for whatever they may encounter. And some may even need a bit of coaching... :wink:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Wharton, Columbia, Sloan
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Other types of questions are ranking types - top 5%, 10% in analytical ability, communication skills etc.

fyi -- you can create a dummy accounts at each school and then request recommendation by sending recommendation request to other dummy email address. That way you can have a look at the real recommendation page.

No big deal!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
minime2 wrote:
fyi -- you can create a dummy accounts at each school and then request recommendation by sending recommendation request to other dummy email address. That way you can have a look at the real recommendation page.

Good thinking! +1
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 373 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: Finance & Strategic Management
Schools:Wharton/Lauder Class of 2013
 Q50  V41
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: Big Four Advisory
Send PM
minime2 wrote:
Other types of questions are ranking types - top 5%, 10% in analytical ability, communication skills etc.

No big deal!

lol +1
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  147   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6922 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts