Last visit was: 02 May 2024, 12:55 It is currently 02 May 2024, 12:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [9]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.65
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 256 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 225 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
Re: GMAT story of parents with 2-year old kid. [#permalink]
congratulations to both of you.. a very good detailed debrief.. +1 for you.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Congrats to both of you - awesome debrief!! I can completely empathize with what your wife and you went through to get to this point. Not a lot of folks will ever appreciate how hard it must have been for your wife to isolate herself from her own child. I have a 3 year old child and I can say that it's very hard. There are so many things that can (and do) go wrong to jeopardize your well laid study plans. Picking an off-site to study was a brilliant idea - given the constant flow of visitors in a joint family and the overall chaotic atmosphere at home. I will heed your advise about building stamina - I too find myself wandering as the Verbal section gets along.

All the best for you and your wife's apps.
Intern
Intern
Status:it won't happen in one day but it'll happen one day
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
+1....some very good tips.....thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Hiiiiiiiii

Congrats to both of u!!!!!!!!!!!
thnx a bunch for this post as we are sailing in the same boat....
my husband n myself hv started prep n we hv a 2 yr 10 month old daughter....

can you please let me know wat were ur initial scores during the start of ur prep.?

thanks again .. it is very inspiring for us.:)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
 Q46  V36
Hi Shankar2010,

Nice to read your story. My husband and I are also in the same boat. We have a naughty two year old and have to balance our time between hectic work schedule and grueling effort needed to get a great GMAT score.

I am in the second round of GMAT studies. In my first attempt , I scored a 670 (46Q 36V). And now planning to give the next GMAT in September to improve my scores. My husband is planning to give around October.

Congratulations to you and your wife for the great score - and greetings to your little one. All the best!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
This is an inspiring story. Great job both of you guys!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
+1, Shankar. You're a stud.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
Schools: Carey '16
Send PM
all i have to say is that your kid is going to the first one to break 800+ on this gmat's =P
GRE Forum Moderator
Affiliations: PMP certified, IT professional
Own Kudos [?]: 190 [0]
Concentration: MS -IS
Schools:CMU, Kelley
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Hats off to both of you!! Congrats and thanx for the debrief
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Congatulations to you both....great scores.

My wife & myself are in the same boat, having 2 kids & preparing together for the exam. Thanks for sharing your experience and is definitely inspring.

All the best for your apps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hello all,

Thanks to all of you for your appreciation and encouragement. I think I should have posted this during my prep. times - such encouragements can be really good energy boosters.

I wanted to address a few recurring themes and questions which I found in the posts. Some of my suggestions are specific to young parents:

1) For young parents, getting the GMAT right the first time would be extremely beneficial. Such parents would need to make several adjustments to their daily schedule, manage their kids and then sit to study. Such a balancing act can be a gruelling and no so convenient [there's the emotional stress of not tending to your kid as well].

Ours was our first attempt as well. Though we did expect a better score, we decided not to retake, as the incremental score increase will come with all the additional adjustments which we thought will not be fair towards other people - especially towards our son.

Postponing exam dates, prolonging studies, retaking the GMAT - all these increase such efforts and stress. Instead of having a long study schedule, try having a short, highly focussed and rigorous one. Often such practice is what that matters to clear exams such as GMAT. Of course, make sure you don't get burned down by the time you come out of your studies.

2) Again, at the cost of being thought repetitive, let me say this: Focus on your verbal. It is very, very important. Many of us do not tend to the verbal section with as much care as we tend to Quants. Several reasons for such attitude - its English Vs Maths, Quants is more mentally challenging (you 'work out' solutions), reading long sentences is boring, in a typical study day we start with Quants and by the time we come to Verbal we are almost out of energy. But I suppose your initial scores in Verbal should give you a jolt and bring you down to have a more realistic attitude :-D

There are several ways to fine tune Verbal:

1) Pay equal attention to both Quants and Verbal right from the beginning. Unless you're getting really great scores in Verbal, there's no reason to assume that you're going to find that section easy.

2) Definitely get well-versed with the basic Grammar rules that GMAT tets repeatedly. Get a good guide to know the patterns and the concepts tested. In my opinion, OG alone is not sufficient.

3) Alternate your study days with Quants and Verbal so that you get to focus on Verbal exclusively. Or if you prefer to do a bit of both on the same day, then at least make sure that you start with Verbal on a few days.

4) As usual, practice. In Verbal, it definitely gets better as you go through more and more questions.

5) Be prepared to plod through long, complex sentence structures. The idea is not to get tired of such sentences. The best way to cope up with such questions is to consider them as complex maths problems to solve (for instance, my wife takes great interest in solving tough maths questions. She will not crib. So it was easier for her to extend the same attitude towards such questions.)

3) Beef up your energy: Again, I repeat, as I got affected by this factor. Keep yourself healthy. GMAT study time is a good time to also lose weight :-D . Jogging, walking etc can be undertaken in the mornings. I'm sorry - I know such ideas can be really lofty when both the parents have regular jobs. However, a good walk or jog in the morning can be helpful to keep up energy levels. It can also be a good time to spend with your kids. It's also said that a good exercise triggers endorphins and other such chemicals in the brain which are helpful for one to remain cheerful, active and energetic throughout the day. Also, it would be fantastic if partners/ spouses refrain from petty fights and arguments during this time and instead shower love and affection on each other :-D - just avoid any non-value-adding mental energy spends. Understand that your partner is taking the same stress that you're talking - hmm.. some advice there.

But, I hope you get the picture. You know the best way of keeping yourself cheerful and active. And its important to eat and drink well on the day of the exam and remain positive throughout. As said earlier, for e.g. even if you think you did not do your Quants up to the mark, you can make it up by a fantastic score in Verbal. And on the day of the exam, all that you can do to achieve such great performance is to stay positive, focussed and attentive. For doing so, you need to be physically agile as well.

Finally, I think its definitely possible for working parents to get a score of 750 or 770. We don't have to be satisfied with scores of just 700+.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Btw, its pleasantly surprising to find so many young parents (and incidentally with 2-year old kids) in the community. I think we should form a forum within GMAT Club to prod each other to keep up the spirit. Great going guys! All the best!
GRE Forum Moderator
Affiliations: PMP certified, IT professional
Own Kudos [?]: 190 [0]
Concentration: MS -IS
Schools:CMU, Kelley
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
My case is slightly different :) . I am a stay at home mom with a 1 yr old.
Your post is indeed encouraging.

All the best with your applications.
BSchool Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 521 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Send PM
Thanks for sharing your story.

My case is similar, I have a boy 1 year 7 months old, right now I'm preparing for the GMAT while my wife studies for her USMLE (US Medical License Exam, something like that). The difference is that we live about 500 kilometers from my wife's parents, and 16000 kilometers from my parents, so we don't have anybody to help us with the baby. But I agree that is very possible to spend 2-3 hours a day studying. We used to do it in the morning until he changed his sleeping habits and started to wake up at 6 in the morning! But now things have gone normal again and he sleeps until 8, so if we try hard we can get up and study few hours in the morning. The only thing I miss is talking with my friends on skype, I usually connected in the late evening (different time in my home country), but now we go to sleep early and cut that away. Well, sometimes I'm held talking with my parents or friends, and next day I can't wake up to study, but that's life, you can't do everything and have to sacrifice some things to pursue other activities.

Hope to give the exam in a couple of months and score as high as you did! Good luck in you application process.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Send PM
Hi Shankar,

your post is one gr8 energy booster for both my husband n myself....

we r planning to take gmat in a couple of months..

my diagnostic was 510( 43 - Q, 19 - V) . very poor time management in verbal. had no time for 15 q's . just guessed them..

my hubby had a better score 570.

if you can share your CAT test scores during prep, it will add more value to us. like initially, wat were ur scores b4 prep, during prep..

thanx again....

+1 kudos to both of u..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Send PM
Hi Shankar, could you please tell me which books you prefer. I plan to take my GMAT next year but has been unable to head start, has been looking for books/ tips but I guess starting point is a bit difficult..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
GMAT 1: 540 Q47 V19
GMAT 2: 610 Q46 V28
GPA: 3.86
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
truly inspirational stuff.
GMAT Club Bot