Last visit was: 15 May 2024, 11:52 It is currently 15 May 2024, 11:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
Re: Calling All Fall 2011 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink]
refurb wrote:
bakfed wrote:
refurb, do you know of any plans to increase current class size to 350 or more, from 250? What if the number of applicants this year jumps from 2xxx to 3000? Would Tuck be able to make the necessary adjustment?

There is no way Tuck will increase class size. If anything, the target class size for next year will be LESS than this years class size (280).

There are a number of reasons for this:

1. Facilities. Most of Tuck's classrooms can only fit 70 people or so. In the past there have been 4 sections each year (each section would be approximately 65 students). It's going to be a tight fit this year with 70 students per section. If they wanted to increase class size more, they'd have to create another section and completely redo the scheduling of classes.

2. If you increase class size without a very large increase in applicants, your percent admitted goes up and your ranking goes down. That's what happened to Duke a few years back when they increased their class size. Schools tend to increase class size very slowly.

Like I said, I have no actual proof of this, but every indication points to next year being a much more difficult year to get accepted at Tuck.

RF

that's what I imagined. I appreciate your time in responding to this question.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Tuck Class of 2013
Send PM
refurb wrote:
chostein wrote:
bakfed:

I actually asked that question yesterday directly to the admission lady.

She admitted overflow for class of 2012, and she expects the same high yield rate this year too. But she officially said not to worry about it too much and not to believe too much what you read in internet. But IMO, her nervous chuckle discounted what she said :x

OK, I love Tuck and don't want to disparage what admissions says, but the numbers speak for themselves.

The normal target for class size is 250.
The number of students who accepted the offer of admission for Class of 2012 was ~310.
The class size for 2012 is ~280.
That means 30 students deferred until next year. These are students who said "YES!" I want to come to Tuck! I would guess that at least 2/3 will end up coming to Tuck next year.

So that means with a class size of 250, 8-12% of the spots are already gone for next year. Obviously it will be more difficult to get into Tuck next year. How much harder? Who knows? But it will be harder.

RF

I am a little confused here. I know that the number of admitted applicants is higher than the class size to compensate the yield, i.e., some admitted people who will end up in another school. But in this specific case, don't you think that Tuck can end up getting into an even bigger trouble ? I mean, the deferred candidates would have plenty of time to apply or reapply to another high ranked schools and could get admitted, lowering Tuck's yield even more (54%, one of the lowest of the Top Ten).

How Tuck is going to "secure" most of these deferred people ? Scholarships ?

Don't take me wrong, Tuck is a wonderful program, but unfortunately most of the people still consider BW & US NEWS ranks as the final decision factor.

Originally posted by MBAUncle on 08 Sep 2010, 06:18.
Last edited by MBAUncle on 08 Sep 2010, 06:24, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Send PM
summitbid wrote:
RF -

I visited campus late last month, and really liked it.

I got in touch with a few current students / alums via email, however they are not the students who were speaking at the student panel during my visit. I have read interview reports on ClearAdmit of being asked specific names of students you come across during campus visits - I dont have any names from my visit....

is that a problem?

thanks!

Nope. I was never asked the names of students I met during the visit. If you are asked, mentioning the names of current students you talked to by email is more than good enough.

RF
Current Student
Send PM
MBAUncle wrote:
I am a little confused here. I know that the number of admitted applicants is higher than the class size to compensate the yield, i.e., some admitted people who will end up in another school. But in this specific case, don't you think that Tuck can end up getting into an even bigger trouble ? I mean, the deferred candidates would have plenty of time to apply or reapply to another high ranked schools and could get admitted, lowering Tuck's yield (if it is really an important concern for Tuck).

How Tuck is going to "secure" most of these deferred people ? Scholarships ?

Don't take me wrong, Tuck is a wonderful program, but unfortunately most of the people still consider BW & US NEWS ranks as the final decision factor.

You are right, not every single one of those students who deferred will choose to attend Tuck next year. However, from what I heard, students who did defer were given a SUBSTANTIAL discount on their first year tuition (think 50%).

I'm sure that will help make people's decision easier!

RF
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Schools:Tuck 2013
WE 1: Big 4
Send PM
I need some perspective on Essay 3 (What is the greatest challenge or hurdle you have overcome, either personally or professionally, and how did you manage to do so?). Do you take this to mean

a. Make a list of all your challenges/obstacles, both personal and professional, tell us about the greatest on the list;
Or
b. Make one list of all your professional obstacles, and another with your personal challenges, and choose the greatest challenge from either of those two lists and tell us about it.

Did anyone have a different interpretation on this?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
estreet, what I did with the third essay is that I listed the one biggest challenge that I had to overcome professionally. I do not think the essay is asking for a list of challenges, as it specifically mentioned "greatest challenge" (i.e. greatest = one example). I think it's the elaboration and explanation of this challenge, and what you have learned after the fact that will make the different in this essay. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Send PM
bakfed wrote:
estreet, what I did with the third essay is that I listed the one biggest challenge that I had to overcome professionally. I do not think the essay is asking for a list of challenges, as it specifically mentioned "greatest challenge" (i.e. greatest = one example). I think it's the elaboration and explanation of this challenge, and what you have learned after the fact that will make the different in this essay. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I agree with bakfed, that was how I interpreted it as well. Basically I wrote just one story, explained why it was my greatest challenge, what I did, and what I learnt from it. I used a professional challenge.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Schools:Tuck 2013
WE 1: Big 4
Send PM
Sorry I wasn't clear. I'm not writing about a list of challenges, I was just curious whether people were reading the question as
-What is your overall #1 greatest challenge from any realm of your life,
or
-What is your greatest challenge from your professional life or what is your greatest challenge from your personal life.

What I'm really getting at here is can I get away with my greatest professional challenge, but not my greatest ever?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
how are peeps doing with the Tuck application? I'm pretty much done with it, but I ALWAYS feel that I can do better on the essays. Everytime I open up my essays I feel the need to correct something. It seems as if I'd never be satisfied with my essays. Am I the only one feeling this?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
bakfed wrote:
how are peeps doing with the Tuck application? I'm pretty much done with it, but I ALWAYS feel that I can do better on the essays. Everytime I open up my essays I feel the need to correct something. It seems as if I'd never be satisfied with my essays. Am I the only one feeling this?

You are not alone my brother. They say submit your application when you feel it is the strongest it can be....at this rate I'll be applying for class of 2020
SVP
SVP
Send PM
bpenn wrote:
bakfed wrote:

You are not alone my brother. They say submit your application when you feel it is the strongest it can be....at this rate I'll be applying for class of 2020

man, glad to know that. And it's not just for Tuck, but for every one of my applications. I just cannot be satisfied with the essays... :?

Originally posted by bakfed on 13 Sep 2010, 10:50.
Last edited by bakfed on 13 Sep 2010, 13:06, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
bakfed wrote:
bpenn wrote:
bakfed wrote:

man, glad to know that. And it's just for Tuck, but for every one of my applications. I just cannot be satisfied with the essays... :?

you guys are ahead of the game...still working on my first two apps here...neither really done... :-o
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Ross 2013
GPA: 3.1
WE 1: 4 yrs Management Consulting
Send PM
Hey, first time poster. I will be applying in Round 2

I know this is just wishful thinking but I figure I would throw it out there to see what people think. Today, I received an invite for Tuck Diversity Conference 2010. If one were to apply and get in. Does this have good implications for your application? (assuming they like you at this conference) I dont mean "Hey it is good that you came. Congrats. Good luck in the application".

Thanks!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 521 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
thewaves21 wrote:
Hey, first time poster. I will be applying in Round 2

I know this is just wishful thinking but I figure I would throw it out there to see what people think. Today, I received an invite for Tuck Diversity Conference 2010. If one were to apply and get in. Does this have good implications for your application? (assuming they like you at this conference) I dont mean "Hey it is good that you came. Congrats. Good luck in the application".

Thanks!

No, it really doesn't matter.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Given circumstances, I've decided not to apply to Tuck - I can't fly out to NH and that will always be on my mind.

Good luck for everybody :-D
SVP
SVP
Send PM
sorry to hear that, chostein. I wish you best of luck with your other applications.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 521 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Tuck is probably the only school in the top 10 that allows two GMAT scores (I haven't done research on other schools but that is neither here nor there). Does anyone know how Tuck uses the scores? Are they looking at the breakdowns or do they want an upward progression?
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  107   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6929 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts