Last visit was: 06 May 2024, 18:12 It is currently 06 May 2024, 18:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
Schools: Carey '16
Send PM
Re: Beat by GMAT [#permalink]
dude. don't give up man. did you take the GMATprep tests given to you? They are the most accurate indicator of how well you would really do. I came from a 430 and now just broke 600 (but not consistently) so don't give up man. Manhattan GMAT series excellent. It's really all I use and It's done nothing but greatness for me. Plus they give you like 6 free CATs (not the things that meows) and their online supplimentary guide is intense.
Current Student
Send PM
yeah i think he needed other materials - OG can only get you so far especially it is more of an overview
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Fuqua '14 (M)
Send PM
Keep your head up...You're only beat by the GMAT if you let it beat you!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
how were you faring in the practice tests?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
It doesn't seem like used many practice tests, we need more information.
Current Student
Send PM
he also took tests too quickly... under 10 days studying for 1st then a month study for 2nd...
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 33
GPA: 3.4 Ivy
WE 1: 3 years for major bank
Send PM
It's probably time to take time off, calm down a little, and then in about six months or so, do some introspection and think to yourself, "is this REALLY what I want to do?" If it is, then think long and hard about HOW you study. How is just as important as how much. (though I'll say that if you're really trying to improve, two months is really on the short side of the time you want to spend on this thing... I spent over 3 to go from a 650 to a 740... and after a month and a half of studying had actually gone down in scores on my practice tests)

If it's not, walk away from the thing. Plenty of happy, successful people don't have MBAs or get it later in life with an EMBA. You've sunk a lot of your time, effort and frustration into it, but those aren't the reasons you should be continuing on.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
shaselai wrote:
yeah i think he needed other materials - OG can only get you so far especially it is more of an overview

You think a prep course is his best option?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Dawgie wrote:
shaselai wrote:

Real life is best option then if he decides to do it again a prep course is his best option. It's easy to read too much into something like this, but I have a feeling this guy's major problem is not knowing how to structure his life to get the result.

Of course, the question is also where he wants to go. If he only wants a top 25 school or whatever, he may just be out of luck. Some people improve that much, but it doesn't look like it'll be him. But a 600+ seems a reasonable goal.
Current Student
Send PM
Dawgie wrote:
shaselai wrote:

no. he wants to get 550 and that is realistically reacheable with some axel grease and strong mind.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks everyone for the support. The study materials I used are OG 11, Kaplan GMAT 2010: Strategies, Practice, and Review (978-1-4195-5294-6), McGraw-Hill's GMAT 2010, w. CD-ROM (978-0-07-162416-9), and GMATPpre v2. I did all the questions in all three books at least twice. For GMATPpre v2, I got like 570-620, depend on my luck. I mean 550 should be a reachable goal with those study materials. I am not asking for 600 to 800.
I have one last hope before my application deadline. This hope will be in one month. As for the prep courses and MGMAT books, I just don't have money to afford them, and time to complete them. They are too expensive in my case. All my study materials are free from internet and friends.
Do you guys have any suggestion that what should I do before my last hope?
Thanks everyone again
Manager
Manager
Send PM
BeatByGMAT wrote:
Thanks everyone for the support. The study materials I used are OG 11, Kaplan GMAT 2010: Strategies, Practice, and Review (978-1-4195-5294-6), McGraw-Hill's GMAT 2010, w. CD-ROM (978-0-07-162416-9), and GMATPpre v2. I did all the questions in all three books at least twice. For GMATPpre v2, I got like 570-620, depend on my luck. I mean 550 should be a reachable goal with those study materials. I am not asking for 600 to 800.
I have one last hope before my application deadline. This hope will be in one month. As for the prep courses and MGMAT books, I just don't have money to afford them, and time to complete them. They are too expensive in my case. All my study materials are free from internet and friends.
Do you guys have any suggestion that what should I do before my last hope?
Thanks everyone again

when you did questions, did you review the right and wrong answers and really take the time to understand why you got them wrong and how to get them right in the future? were you having any trouble with timing? where are you planning to apply to?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Jeanette wrote:

when you did questions, did you review the right and wrong answers and really take the time to understand why you got them wrong and how to get them right in the future? were you having any trouble with timing? where are you planning to apply to?

yes, I did spend time review the questions (right or wrong), and understand why it was wrong. Many of the questions in the actual GMAT, I know I can do it, but 1.5 minute is just not enough for me. If I spend too much time on one question, I know I will not have enough time. Therefore, it forces me to guess the answer. I feel that the questions in the actual GMAT are so much harder than my practice questions. Isn't it the questions from OG 11 are past GMAT questions and the difficulty should be similar?
Current Student
Send PM
the OG should be past gmat ques so you should be set with difficulty there. You can try the gmat club tests - you get a bunch for a reasonable price. if you skip that i think maybe review wrong answers will help but you might need to expand your problem set base though
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37399 posts