Last visit was: 07 May 2024, 13:04 It is currently 07 May 2024, 13:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Duke
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Professional Engineers (Ontario)
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Green-tech
 Q50  V38
GPA: 3.7
WE 1: Nuclear Consultant - 3+ years
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink]
Kudos
mysamgmatclub wrote:
Has anyone applying to HBS experienced a problem with the recommenders not receiving an automatic notification/email with the instructions right away? Thanks.

The only reason that I know because the receiving e-mail server ( for example : yahoo,gmail and etc ) still hold it due to internal error / maintenance works / heavy workload. At the end of the day the server will still send it to the recipient's e-mail address with some delays ( which can be couple of days ) but they won't see the delay on the time stamp of e-mail as it's still with the original date and time.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Adventure79 wrote:
mysamgmatclub wrote:
Has anyone applying to HBS experienced a problem with the recommenders not receiving an automatic notification/email with the instructions right away? Thanks.

The only reason that I know because the receiving e-mail server ( for example : yahoo,gmail and etc ) still hold it due to internal error / maintenance works / heavy workload. At the end of the day the server will still send it to the recipient's e-mail address with some delays ( which can be couple of days ) but they won't see the delay on the time stamp of e-mail as it's still with the original date and time.

Thanks Adventure79, it actually worked out after 5-6 hours. My recommender told me she got all the notifications at once. You are right, it was probably delayed at the company server level.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GPA: 3.4 Ivy
WE 1: 3 years for major bank
Send PM
how are you guys handling the introduce question? I'm struggling to find the right balance. The truth is that anyone who introduces themselves in monologue form is someone I want to avoid. I know Harvard isn't REALLY asking how we'll introduce ourselves, but I'd like it to sound "real" regardless... what does everyone think?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V43
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
Send PM
I'm not sure if this has been discussed already, but the essays have strict limits this year versus recommended limits as in past years? What happens if you go over the limit?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Haas (Admitted /w $$$), Anderson (Admitted), LBS (Waitlist), MIT (ding), Stanford (ding), HBS (ding)
 Q48  V40
Send PM
Straight from the horse's mouth:

edit: I tried to post the source link also, but the gmatclub forum system won't allow me as I'm too much of a n00b.

Quote:
Round 2 Application Deadline - FAQs
Date: January 11, 2010
As we head toward January 19, I'll try to field some FAQs. None of these are new to us, but we're mindful that applicants are dealing with all this for the first time, so we'll risk being repetitive in an effort to be helpful.

Question: How rigid is the word-limit restriction? What happens if I go over?

This is the language we used last time about this; it's still true, and I can't think of a better way of saying it:

"Your essays do not get cut off if you go over the word limit. That being said, after reading many, many essays, we have a good feel for whether an essay is going over the limit. I think it's fair to say that we expect a candidate to be able to edit effectively, but don't stress over a few extra words.

We're getting a lot of similar questions from recommenders wondering if their remarks are being cut short. They aren't. We have suggested word limits for recommenders that amount to roughly a page of text; we do this to give those not familiar with writing recommendations a sense of an appropriate length of response. If your recommenders have more to say, that's fine. Their file upload doesn't get cut off after a single page or after a certain number of words."

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM

Originally posted by smileyface on 15 Sep 2010, 18:46.
Last edited by smileyface on 16 Jan 2011, 00:08, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Yup.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 519 [1]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Kudos
Create two profiles, one younger and one older, and see what happens.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
@ smileyface -- i heard that they were planning to do something like this. However, it does make sense since HBS will not allow you to submit your application if you are over the age of 28. I hope you already knew that...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 211 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
Send PM
iplayrugby wrote:
@ smileyface -- i heard that they were planning to do something like this. However, it does make sense since HBS will not allow you to submit your application if you are over the age of 28. I hope you already knew that...

Funny. In all seriousness, I went to a minority open house event and there were people there of all ages (college age up to mid-thirties)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Tuck Class of 2013
Send PM
I am sick of HBS. Yeah, it is the dream schools of everybody, but the "legacy" issue and the discrimination against older applicants are notorious !
Manager
Manager
Send PM
MBAUncle wrote:
I am sick of HBS. Yeah, it is the dream schools of everybody, but the "legacy" issue and the discrimination against older applicants are notorious !

I've heard, and this may not be true, that one of the reasons for the push for younger people (e.g. 2+2) is a desire to get more qualified female applicants. Not that that answers the question of why they'd want to discourage older men from applying, but maybe why they're starting to value things that people do when they're younger.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
you are welcome to apply to Wharton...we have plenty of 30+ classmates, including myself..and its awesome to hangout with someone who was born in the 70s...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Wharton, Columbia, Sloan
 Q50  V47
Send PM
MBAUncle wrote:

Please do not believe everything you hear on the forums or what the admission consultants say. Most people who apply to HBS (and other top schools) get rejected which gives rise to these these theories.

Age does become an issue (in the thirties) for full time MBA only because by that time, people start getting into more leadership positions in their job and are more suitable to the exec. program.

I know a bunch of people in HBS who were 27-28 when they got in. HBS and other schools are committed to admitting the most accomplished people who are a few years out of school ( 2-5). It's in their interest to do so. It is true however, that HBS is such an attraction that a number of extremely talented 23-25 years old ( who figured things out in their life early) apply and they get in. But they get in because of their accomplishments and not because of their age.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3470 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
I agree with what minime is saying. With respect to HBS trying to push for younger applicants, it's more about the women who lose out on business opportunities because, well, we have to settle down and take care of the kids by the time we hit 30. So nature rules out the application process for women at that age. HBS just tries to balance ages. I really don't think it's an issue with that.

If you're really concerned, you could try to register with two ages.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
whiplash2411 wrote:
I agree with what minime is saying. With respect to HBS trying to push for younger applicants, it's more about the women who lose out on business opportunities because, well, we have to settle down and take care of the kids by the time we hit 30. So nature rules out the application process for women at that age. HBS just tries to balance ages. I really don't think it's an issue with that.

If you're really concerned, you could try to register with two ages.

Well I'm not sure we have to do it by 30 but we do have an internal clock running that makes going at an older age problematic.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
minime2 wrote:
MBAUncle wrote:

Please do not believe everything you hear on the forums or what the admission consultants say. Most people who apply to HBS (and other top schools) get rejected which gives rise to these these theories.

Age does become an issue (in the thirties) for full time MBA only because by that time, people start getting into more leadership positions in their job and are more suitable to the exec. program.

I know a bunch of people in HBS who were 27-28 when they got in. HBS and other schools are committed to admitting the most accomplished people who are a few years out of school ( 2-5). It's in their interest to do so. It is true however, that HBS is such an attraction that a number of extremely talented 23-25 years old ( who figured things out in their life early) apply and they get in. But they get in because of their accomplishments and not because of their age.

Originally posted by smileyface on 20 Sep 2010, 12:12.
Last edited by smileyface on 15 Jan 2011, 23:45, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  147   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6922 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts