Last visit was: 03 May 2024, 01:37 It is currently 03 May 2024, 01:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [2]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.14
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [1]
Given Kudos: 64
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V43
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Marketing & Entrepreneurship
Schools:UCLA Anderson FEMBA Class of 2014
Send PM
Re: LGBT on the Application [#permalink]
Moss wrote:
It makes you different, and generally adcoms try and reduce the homogeny of their classes. If the adcom believes that this difference may translate into you having a unique perspective that you could share with the class to help it to be a more rich learning environment, then it would be relevant to their decision making process. If not, then it is simply as relevant as you being left or right handed -- and I don't see how that could hurt.

I second that. I feel it's the same as mentioning if you're the 1st to go to college in your family, or if you're a first generation Ethnicity-American. What's the value it adds to your essays/profiles and how does it make you different and valuable to bschools?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
brainhurt wrote:
tyemaishu wrote:
I've seen people write admissions essays about being LGBT and I wonder what is so special about that? Why would an adcom even care? I'm a girl and I like guys, should I tell the adcom that

Sure give it a shot. Let us know how that works out.

HAHA
Current Student
Affiliations: CBS '13
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [8]
 Q50  V44
GPA: 3.3 from top 5 ivy
Send PM
Kudos
tyemaishu wrote:
I've seen people write admissions essays about being LGBT and I wonder what is so special about that? Why would an adcom even care? I'm a girl and I like guys, should I tell the adcom that

you know what you should really write to make you different? your homophobia.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.14
Send PM
lawgonebusiness wrote:
you know what you should really write to make you different? your homophobia.

LOL! You win the best zinger award!
Current Student
Affiliations: CPA, CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance/Entrepreneurship
Schools:Darden Class of 2012
GPA: 3.5
WE 1: Big 4 Accounting
Send PM
Kudos
a lot of the big firms have special programs/scholarships for LGBT so i imagine schools cater to this crowd as well
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Yeah, I guess for the sake of diversity, LGBT would be important.

But all the political correctness aside, I agree with tyemaishu, and no, this statement is not homophobic.

I wonder if someone actually fake it. I mean, you can't fake ethnicity, but if someone REALLY wants to get in, he/she might. It's not like an adcom is gonna track down his/her involvement in LGBT while in MBA.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
Mod edit: please be respectful to all in your comments. - shadowsjc.
Current Student
Send PM
^^^ I know thats meant to be funny but frankly, its a bit offensive. I think you should take it down, John Wayne is an american hero.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
chostein wrote:

But all the political correctness aside, I agree with tyemaishu, and no, this statement is not homophobic.

I wonder if someone actually fake it. I mean, you can't fake ethnicity, but if someone REALLY wants to get in, he/she might. It's not like an adcom is gonna track down his/her involvement in LGBT while in MBA.

I think diversity is important too chostein.

As for faking it. I remember seeing an interview with Anne Kronenberg, Harvey Milk's campaign manager. She claims to be a lesbian. But she is married to a man; and they have kids together. Anne said something along the lines of, a lesbian is a woman who is connected to another woman emotionally, physically, mentally, and spiritually. Althought Anne is connected to a man physically, she is emotionally, mentally, and spiritually connected to women.

Not that I encourage faking it. But it goes to show that women can be married to men, even have sex with men, and still be lesbian. So hey, men can have sex with women, and still be gay.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you for your responses.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 211 [5]
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
Send PM
Kudos
Okay, after reading this thread, I feel the need to respond to set the record straight about this issue. I want to make sure that LGBT applicants everywhere know how to handle this issue and aren't riddled with the misinformation found in this thread.

I went to an open-house event exclusively for LGBT students at HBS a few months back, so we literally got an entire day to ask questions about all of this stuff. Let me tell you the gist of what the admissions office said at HBS:

1. Yes, schools love diversity. Therefore, schools do appreciate having people who identify as LGBT within the student body. There is a reason that HBS had an entire open house ONLY for LGBT students - HBS wants LGBT people.. That being said...

2. At a school that is both as highly-ranked and large (in terms of class size) as HBS, disclosing that you are part of the LGBT community doesn't really help you all that much. Since much of the LGBT population is quite talented, driven, and personable, a lot of LGBT students will end up at the top schools. You are bound to be other classmates who are part of the LGBT community.

3. Some people choose to disclose their sexuality on their applications, but others don't. There are a few ways to do this:
- Include it in an essay. Only do this if it something that you're actually passionate about (i.e. a lawyer who fights for LGBT rights, a personal experience that shaped you, etc.) -- don't just throw it in for the "bonus points."
- Include it somehow within your list of college activities and clubs (i.e. a Queer-Alliance type of club)
- Reach out to members of the LGBT student association at the school you are applying to.

That's really it. Please ask if you have any questions.

To clarify a few other points:

1. I can't think of a reason that anyone would "pretend" to be a part of the LGBT community. As stated above, the potential benefits aren't really that great in terms of admissions since there are so many LGBT people who are unbelievably competitive applicants. The potential consequences can be severe, as pretending to be something that you're not is a painful experience. Beyond that, who would honestly want to deal with the ridicule that the LGBT community faces?

2. I am a guy who has a long-term girlfriend, but I still identify as part of the LGBT community. That does not mean that I am faking anything; sexuality lies on a spectrum for many people. We can continue this part of the discussion in the off-topic forum if you have any questions.

Originally posted by YourDreamTheater on 29 Sep 2010, 19:12.
Last edited by YourDreamTheater on 29 Sep 2010, 20:10, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
 Q50  V44
Send PM
tyemaishu wrote:
chostein wrote:

I think diversity is important too chostein.

As for faking it. I remember seeing an interview with Anne Kronenberg, Harvey Milk's campaign manager. She claims to be a lesbian. But she is married to a man; and they have kids together. Anne said something along the lines of, a lesbian is a woman who is connected to another woman emotionally, physically, mentally, and spiritually. Althought Anne is connected to a man physically, she is emotionally, mentally, and spiritually connected to women.

Not that I encourage faking it. But it goes to show that women can be married to men, even have sex with men, and still be lesbian. So hey, men can have sex with women, and still be gay.

It's not about who you sleep with. It's about how your identity as an LGBT influences the way you think and feel. get it?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
jordanhendrix wrote:
^^^ I know thats meant to be funny but frankly, its a bit offensive. I think you should take it down, John Wayne is an american hero.

I'm not sure what you found offensive about that. I certainly didn't slander John Wayne. Using him as a symbol of heterosexuality wouldn't be so blasphemous. Nor would be using him as a symbol of homosexuality. American hero? Not sure what that has to do with his sexual orientation. In any case, I said nothing against John Wayne.

As for it being offensive, I disagree. I can understand how people like to be very p.c., and I'm therefore not surprised at the sudden clamp down, and I now see how quickly things can spiral out of control and how the moderators are inclined to be extremely sensitive. But as someone with "deep roots" in the LGBT community myself, I have to note in defense that satire ≠ homophobia. I truly didn't intend to express a hint of homophobia.

Lesson learned. Apologies to anybody who was actually offended.
Current Student
Send PM
Skahuh. I was just being sarcastic. I think the issue was that insinuating that gays are flaming and flamboyant is what got your post deleted.
I know you were just playing around. Nice of u too apologize either way!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
 Q50  V44
Send PM
skahuh wrote:
jordanhendrix wrote:

I'm not sure what you found offensive about that. I certainly didn't slander John Wayne. Using him as a symbol of heterosexuality wouldn't be so blasphemous. Nor would be using him as a symbol of homosexuality. American hero? Not sure what that has to do with his sexual orientation. In any case, I said nothing against John Wayne.

As for it being offensive, I disagree. I can understand how people like to be very p.c., and I'm therefore not surprised at the sudden clamp down, and I now see how quickly things can spiral out of control and how the moderators are inclined to be extremely sensitive. But as someone with "deep roots" in the LGBT community myself, I have to note in defense that satire ≠ homophobia. I truly didn't intend to express a hint of homophobia.

Actually I found your "censored" post really funny. haha
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Send PM
lawgonebusiness wrote:
skahuh wrote:
jordanhendrix wrote:

Actually I found your "censored" post really funny. haha

Thanks. But jordanhendrix is right. I missed the sarcasm in his post. He missed it in mine. Maybe that's why sarcasm is better avoided altogether in this online setting. Sorry to hijack the initial thread! Hope it can continue now...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Finance/Economics
Schools:Chicago Booth
GPA: 3.5
WE 1: Analyst: Big Four U.S.
WE 2: Senior Consultant: Big Four Taipei
Send PM
I love YourDreamTheater's insight into the HBS information above.

For most of the LGBT-identifying people I know, their personal development and sense of self is largely shaped by the challenges currently faced in our world to those who are LGBT. Thus, it would naturally work its way into any essay that asks about how you got to where you are now, and where you want to go in the future. It can be a pretty defining thing for many people, and I don't think anyone could successfully fake that in an application.

I also concur with YDT's analysis that the LGBT pool of applicants is an impressive one, and one that you would not necessarily want to put yourself in. If HBS is wanting a representative class body that reflects actual worldwide demographics, I think you'd be upping the competition to get in by trying to use some sort of 'LGBT angle'.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3