Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 21:12 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 21:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Stern '13
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Re: Calling All 2011 Booth Applicants!! [#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
cwhs wrote:
rhyme wrote:

Half a mill? Not bad..... I'm nowhere near that - I just burned about 75K points and am around 100K right now. Next two weeks will get me back up to the 150 to 175K range - a week at a cat5, plus another Q3FN, maybe 2, for the Q4 promo.

744K & change to be exact, maybe I'm more than 15 days... My overall is well over 1M, but I spent some for a week in Europe a couple of years ago. I haven't added any serious points for the past six months though, working for a local client (thankfully).

Did you check out the resorts in Bora Bora? They make my mouth water.

Yea, very nice but pricey. The conrad bali which is "only" a cat 5 is on my target list when I get back to ~200K points.

I always wanted to go to Bali. Awesome looking place - I don't know how they categorize between 5 vs. 6 anyway. But I digress, this thread is about Booth not Hilton!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
I was just at bora bora and moorea about <2 years ago... such lovely places! i got the overwater bungalows... very sweet stuff man; a must-do/must-see experience!

I loved the french/polynesian-style food there--the mahi-mahi mousse was the best at this one french restaurant.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
cwhs wrote:

I always wanted to go to Bali. Awesome looking place - I don't know how they categorize between 5 vs. 6 anyway. But I digress, this thread is about Booth not Hilton!

Will offer application guidance in exchange for points :)
Current Student
Send PM
rhyme wrote:
cwhs wrote:

Will offer application guidance in exchange for points :)

Lol I'm already done with my interview, so unless you have a way to get my app on the "admit" pile, I'll spend my time looking at hilton's website - I mean working. But thanks anyway! :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Does anyone else's interview status say the following when clicking the interview schedule link?

"In progress
Interview
Completed"

I had my interview last Wednesday. Having both "in progress" and "interview completed" seems strange to me.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
Send PM
mbaapp07 wrote:
Does anyone else's interview status say the following when clicking the interview schedule link?

"In progress
Interview
Completed"

I had my interview last Wednesday. Having both "in progress" and "interview completed" seems strange to me.

My interview was last Friday and I have the same status.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 369 [0]
Given Kudos: 151
Send PM
sausagenpeppers wrote:
rid82 wrote:
in case someone is in the same situation, my interview status is still "In Progress" even if my interview was 2 weeks ago. Fortunately I realized that and I contacted the school. They confirmed that my interviewer hasn't sent the report yet (he forgot maybe?), and they have contacted him.
Not sure what he is going to remember after 2 weeks....

I'm in the exact same position (In Progress). It's a little nerve racking. I don't even remember exactly what I answered. Did they contact him before you called or do you think I should also contact admissions?

I contacted them and then they called the interviewer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Same here...I interviewed on 19th (Friday)...and the exact same status! Seems strange to me too..

dc3828102 wrote:
mbaapp07 wrote:

"In progress
Interview
Completed"

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Given Kudos: 288
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
Mandy4983 wrote:
Same here...I interviewed on 19th (Friday)...and the exact same status! Seems strange to me too..

dc3828102 wrote:
mbaapp07 wrote:

"In progress
Interview
Completed"

I interviewed on Thursday Nov 18th. I just checked my status and it says "Interview Completed"; it wasn't yesterday. Perhaps Booth adcom has to review the report to confirm it's correct before changing status to completed? Pure speculation.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Hi

I have a serious concern about my interview. It took place with a 2006 alumnus in my city. Overall, it was a pleasant conversation but the interviewer had not printed out my resume or the topic guide from the school. As a result, he asked me only 3 questions essentially - about my two jobs, my career goals and why Booth. He didn't ask me anything else and instead spent 40 minutes of the one hour talking about his experiences at the school. In the end, he said he wanted to ask me more questions but had to go. I feel he got a favourable impression of me but has little information to comment one me as a business school candidate in terms of my personality. I felt slightly short changed and worry that he will not be able to present an adequate picture of my capabilities. I spoke with a CBS alumnus who I know personally (he conducts interviews as well for his school) about this situation and he suggested that I directly call the Booth Admissions office and ask for a second interview. I am a little afraid that this might backfire. What do you suggest? How would something bold like this be looked upon?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
stormbringer wrote:
Hi

I have a serious concern about my interview. It took place with a 2006 alumnus in my city. Overall, it was a pleasant conversation but the interviewer had not printed out my resume or the topic guide from the school. As a result, he asked me only 3 questions essentially - about my two jobs, my career goals and why Booth. He didn't ask me anything else and instead spent 40 minutes of the one hour talking about his experiences at the school. In the end, he said he wanted to ask me more questions but had to go. I feel he got a favourable impression of me but has little information to comment one me as a business school candidate in terms of my personality. I felt slightly short changed and worry that he will not be able to present an adequate picture of my capabilities. I spoke with a CBS alumnus who I know personally (he conducts interviews as well for his school) about this situation and he suggested that I directly call the Booth Admissions office and ask for a second interview. I am a little afraid that this might backfire. What do you suggest? How would something bold like this be looked upon?

Hi, Stormbringer, I had a similar experience. But my interviewer told me that he interviews about 15 candidates a year for the school so I assume he knows what he is doing. But anyhow I'd love to find the answer to your question as well.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
samwzhang wrote:
stormbringer wrote:
Hi

Hi, Stormbringer, I had a similar experience. But my interviewer told me that he interviews about 15 candidates a year for the school so I assume he knows what he is doing. But anyhow I'd love to find the answer to your question as well.

Hi samwzhang

In my city there are many alums (some of whom are pretty experienced and I've met them at the Booth info sessions - I was hoping to get one of the cooler people) and my interviewer graduated in 2006 and only moved here last year. I am sure he isn't really experienced. I mean, he didn't even print out the questions or take notes! Come on, let's have some respect for the process! You have my future in your hands! Even if he had a favourable impression of me, how can substantiate on them without any details? And how will my application now look compared to some person who is just as good and with a super detailed and great interview report?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
stormbringer wrote:
samwzhang wrote:
stormbringer wrote:
Hi

Hi samwzhang

In my city there are many alums (some of whom are pretty experienced and I've met them at the Booth info sessions - I was hoping to get one of the cooler people) and my interviewer graduated in 2006 and only moved here last year. I am sure he isn't really experienced. I mean, he didn't even print out the questions or take notes! Come on, let's have some respect for the process! You have my future in your hands! Even if he had a favourable impression of me, how can substantiate on them without any details? And how will my application now look compared to some person who is just as good and with a super detailed and great interview report?

Hi Stormbringer,

I feel your pain. For what it's worth, my interviewer did not print out a copy of my resume, nor write down what I said.

In my case, I would not bother calling for a second interview since this alum had a long history interviewing for the school. If I filed a complaint the school would think that it was me at fault rather than the interviewer. In your case, it might be more complicated. But I think you can rest assured that many Booth alum interviewers simply don't have the habit of writing down what the applicants say. It would be nice if we knew what the interview report looks like and how it would be judged by the school. I think if a school is assigning a random alum to an applicant it will be prepared for the discrepencies in alum behaviors. The school should not punish the applicants based on factors out of applicants' control.

Although I could be wrong...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi samwzhang

Can't say I am pleased to hear that your alum didn't take notes or print your resume either. I would wish that it goes better for others even if it did not go well for me. You make a lot of valid points though. I am also relatively certain that they allow for these sort of discrepancies. Knowing the interview report structure would be great. I noticed in my interview with CBS that the template they need to fill out is 3 pages long and there would be at least 10 questions with ample room for them notes. Hopefully it won't hurt either of us in the long run if the alums liked us in general. But I could be wrong too! :(
Manager
Manager
Send PM
osbornecox wrote:
Dudes and chicks (which are my new appellations now that my colleagues have noticed that I use these terms as basic gender nouns, rather than favorable nouns),

I just had a very pleasant Chicago interview. It lasted the exact same amount of time as my my other M7 interview (90 min) but was a MUCH more enjoyable experience. He was a recent graduate, extremely friendly, bright and analytical, and he had obviously read my resumé with some care, because he asked laser-focused questions on specific things I'd done. I greatly appreciated this because it gave me a chance to give a lot more detail about what I do (and I genuinely think my business experiences will be something valuable to the community).

He was professional in terms of not giving too much away, but the little that he did was encouraging, or was guiding me towards a better place in the conversation.

He did not follow a script: we had a very natural conversation with no sort of stilted, jarring "well, let's begin the interview, Chicago asks me to do this and that". We went straight to it - rather than do the whole "I must verify who you are and bla bla", he started by telling me when he'd moved to this city, discussing where in town we live, where we work, how long I've been here, etc. The whole thing flowed quite naturally although he'd stop to re-examine my CV and say, tell me about this. He knew well what he needed to do, and he's committed to Booth, and when that happens, folks don't need to follow scripts. His questions were good - he was so much more prepared than my other M7 interviewer, and asked much more intelligent questions. He wanted the real story behind what I did, so dudes and chicks, be clear on what you've done.

Rather than questions, we covered topics. There is a big component in understanding who you are, what you do, why you're doing it, and then how that ties in to the MBA, and how all of it ties into your short term and long term goals. I should note, as others have, that the importance of the goals thingamajig cannot be overstated: while it is unrealistically for folks in their mid-20s to have a clearcut view of what life will be like at 45, "a sense of direction" is important, as he put it. So it took a second take, but I was able to explain clearly what kind of career I'm pursuing. Surprisingly, he did not ask why Chicago, although my reasons for pursuing an MBA are so closely aligned to Chicago's strengths that maybe he felt he already knew the answer.

What made me feel best about the entire interview was that we reached a level of trust with one another. He noticed I have some languages on my CV, and he's perfectly fluent in my worst language, and out of the blue, he asked me to speak in that language. Fortunately I had just been speaking that language last night, so it was fresh in my mind, and I was able to pounce on it. I think he was happy with the result, and I told him that I try to be very honest about my abilities, and I don't want to play up my skills, which is why I identified that language as my worst one (listed as "beginner" on my resumé) - and he said "well, you can clearly handle a conversation in it." A charitable description but it's always awesome to meet someone who wants to see the good in others. Be prepared to be tested on your claims!

So dudes and chicks, I think that goes a long way, because when you're talking about your top accomplishments and he's asking you about behavioral questions, you'll feel much better if know you that you've established trustworthiness and conveyed truthfulness (and I told him the entire truth and nothing but the truth to the best of my abilities - hell, I even told him about a time I damaged company equipment!).

He himself does a very cool job and he is obviously extremely well prepared. I left feeling fantastic about meeting him and hoping to keep in touch. We had some laughs and we share some interests/activities, so it felt great. I left my other M7 interview thinking "sheesh, I really hope this guy isn't the norm over there" but today, I really thought: WOW, CHICAGO BOOTH.

Dudes and chicks, I'M SO PSYCHED ABOUT BOOTH!

Haha! You are a riot, dude. Loved reading your story. Well done.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: Finance &amp; Strategy
Schools:Tuck, Ross, Sloan, Chicago, Kellogg &amp; Darden
 Q47  V40
WE 1: Energy (Sales)
WE 2: Energy (Corporate Development)
Send PM
StevenFaulkner wrote:
Just completed my off-campus interview last night. It was very relaxed, maybe too relaxed. She was a recent alum and she was very friendly but we didn't really click since our backgrounds were so different. Mostly typical questions.

Walk me through your resume.
Asked a leadership question about a specific part of my resume.
What is your leadership style?
Why career switch?
Why Booth?
What extracurricular activities are you involved in?

Then I asked her questions about her experience at Booth. It was very quick, about 30 minutes. It definitely felt like a "dead meat" interview. I wasn't as crisp as I would have liked to have been since I spent so much time preparing for weird behavioural questions.

Oh well, as part of the "Just in case" interview cohort, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a waitlist status update on December 15!!

Exactly the same happened to me today...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hello everyone,
Just found this thread. Wish I had found it earlier. Need some expert opinion. I am a medical doctor and looking for a career in investment banking. I am a EU citizen but would be happy to work in any major city of Europe or US post MBA as long as I get a foot into the IB. Which school do you think is more likely to help me get the foot in? LBS or Chicago Booth?
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  39   40   41   42   43  ...  185   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts