Last visit was: 03 May 2024, 00:23 It is currently 03 May 2024, 00:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Schools:IE
WE 1: IT Consultancy
WE 2: Public Gov Sector
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:HKUST, INSEAD
 Q37  V34 GMAT 2: 710  Q47  V41
WE 1: 8.7 yrs by Aug 2011
Send PM
Re: HKUST 2011-2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
As an American-born-Chinese, I would like to live and work in AP for a while (hence my interest in HKUST and INSEAD), BUT I am not ready to actually *live* in China. Call me a priss, but my uncle currently lives in Shanghai and tells me that it is still a rough place to live (still very 3rd world country). He has all his food imported from Taiwan because he doesn't trust the China-produced food and won't feed it to his kids. That in and of itself makes me seriously reconsider living in China now! What a hassle it will be if I have to worry about the provenance of my food everyday!

Hong Kong is much safer in that regard, and although I know Mandarin, I do take comfort in HK's wide-spread use of English. For me, CEIBS was never an option, although I now that I am learning more about it, it does sound quite impressive! Good luck to all of you who applied!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hm, I've been to China several times now, and I never had trouble with the food... Generally, I believe Shanghai is quite well-developed and, as xuexoa stated, it will eventually become China's financial center.

In fact, I was in HK a few months ago and talked to locals. They sad, in the mid-term, HK's strongest two industries are going to be tourism and the film and music industry... (I'm sure many people might disagree... but hey, I'm just quoting other people's opinion) :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Everyone,

I just joined the forum and I'm applying to HK UST (R1 and still haven't received anything except the usual notifs..).

Does any of you know wether the interview process is done by geographic location? (ie: North America first, Asia 2nd etc..)

tks for your insight!
cheers,
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
I been back to china couple times (born there too) and you know having been eating the way i have (from dirty peddlers etc.) i am surprised i wasnt sick back then. But yea in China they can screw you on food cause they are not like in US where people are so sue happy and companies are held accountable and take very hefty fines. Back then meat were stuffed with water to look bloated and be extra heavy -sneaky stuff.. You just gotta know where to shop, like if you go to walmart in china it is probably a lot safer.

CEIBS is a nice school - might apply feb deadline but the loan is gonna be a huge headache though.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
did anyone hear from CEIBS yet? I believe they were suppose to share the results by Dec 16...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
mbatogo wrote:
did anyone hear from CEIBS yet? I believe they were suppose to share the results by Dec 16...

nope....

UPDATE: I was just admitted... :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
CEIBS has mostly mainland china applicants right?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Berger admitted at HKUST or CEIBS?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
berger wrote:
mbatogo wrote:

nope....

UPDATE: I was just admitted... :)

congrats berger!! i just found out i got admitted too.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
mbatogo wrote:

congrats too! maybe... cu there? ;)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
congratulations to all those who made it.

My profile is Indian IT, 6 years exp with 1 in Uk, 1.5 in Aus, good extra curriculars thru school and college, managerial roles, recommendation by senior company directors (apac directors), 660 GMAT. Do i have a chance in R2 ?
Intern
Intern
Schools:IE
WE 1: IT Consultancy
WE 2: Public Gov Sector
Send PM
akp wrote:
congratulations to all those who made it.

My profile is Indian IT, 6 years exp with 1 in Uk, 1.5 in Aus, good extra curriculars thru school and college, managerial roles, recommendation by senior company directors (apac directors), 660 GMAT. Do i have a chance in R2 ?

Hey akp, we share similar background - 5 years W, 680 G. Up until now i still have no idea what this school is looking for (i can read chinese, but still no luck), so maybe that's why i still hear nothing from them (i am considering this as a ding). I will reckon you work hard on your essays and give it a try. But you need to be lucky to choose the right theme(s) for your essay.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
berger wrote:
mbatogo wrote:

congrats too! maybe... cu there? ;)

yeah for sure :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Yeah,

I don't know what they're looking for either. I have nearly six years of work experience, a M.S., GMAT: 760/6, GPAs over 3.7, well polished essays, and submitted very early. I also speak 5 languages, including two Asian languages. On top of that, I have also been studying Mandarin for 3 years. Hmmm...perhaps my very non-traditional background (too detailed and boring to discuss here) is the impediment to admission.

I thought I did decently well in the CEIBS interview but at this point, it looks like it will be a ding since I haven't received any notice either. I thought all decisions would be released on the 16th but maybe they will be released over the course of the next few days, up to the 20th. If one doesn't hear before the 20th, one should expect to be dinged at the end of the day...unless one gets the purgatory of the waitlist and lives to fight another day.

BTW, are any of you reading Isaac Iglesias' CEIBS blog at BusinessWeek's B-school forum. He just posted his last one earlier this week. Some of the info. he provided about CEIBS is revealing, especially the Sat. morning classes held to promote hygiene, dandruff control, and sartorial issues. The comments to his posts are also revealing. BW also posted a special report on mainland schools that may be of interest to some of you.

HKUST isn't looking too good for me at the moment either. Good luck to everyone during this traumatic time! Later on I may share my thoughts comparing the quality of faculty at HKUST and CEIBS...

Cheers!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Strategy, Int. Business
Schools:HKUST, MBS, USC, Hawaii, UCSD
GMAT 2: 660  Q39  V41
GPA: 3.2
WE 1: Education
Send PM
They will send out interviews up to 2 months after the deadline. You won't get dinged for sure until February.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
xuexoa, yah just read this article this morning. For everyone: https://www.businessweek.com/bschools/special_reports/20101216mbas_in_china.htm

Hope the best for you. It would be very interesting to know about the adcoms' criterias as it's sometimes hard to understand. my background is similar to yours (except my GMAT's lower than yours), but was interviewed very soon after R1 deadline,
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi, did anyone here apply HKUST R2?
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  15   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert