Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 22:47 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 22:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
 Q51  V46
Send PM
Intern
Intern
 Q51  V46
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink]
rg205 wrote:
Also, some people here have had their application be "ready for review", and then on the same day have been invited to interview. How come a decision was made so quickly -- does it mean that only one person is reading their application? I thought usually 2 or 3 reviewers review the applications before decisions such as invitation interview are made. Any insight into the process. Or is the lag between "ready" and "invite" totally random?

I think ready and invite are random.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
does anyone know whether the admissions office gives candidate-specific guidance interviewers? i.e. areas to ask more about in the interview? or is it general fit?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
shels wrote:
does anyone know whether the admissions office gives candidate-specific guidance interviewers? i.e. areas to ask more about in the interview? or is it general fit?

From my experience, the interviewer does get some guidance from the adcom. I think 90% of the questions my interviewer asked were just questions she thought up after looking at my resume. But at the beginning of the interview she did say that the admissions committee had specifically sent her a few questions to pose to me. However, I could not tell from our conversation which questions were from the adcom.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Cassiopeia wrote:
shels wrote:

From my experience, the interviewer does get some guidance from the adcom. I think 90% of the questions my interviewer asked were just questions she thought up after looking at my resume. But at the beginning of the interview she did say that the admissions committee had specifically sent her a few questions to pose to me. However, I could not tell from our conversation which questions were from the adcom.

thanks for sharing your experience, cassiopeia! that was my sense from some other anecdotal feedback as well.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
rg205 wrote:
What is Berkeley's interview invitation percentage? For instance Kellogg's is around 98%, and Harvard's is around 23%. What is Haas' (for full-time and part-time)? Are these stats available?

I think this is for the FT program, and a couple years old, but I'd assume the numbers are still similar:

Contrary to popular belief, there is no fixed percentage of applicants who are interviewed, and chances of admission for those who do interview are based on the strength of the entire application package and the interview. In the past few years, between 25% and 30% of all applicants have been selected to interview--but keep in mind that this percentage has varied each year. It's simply a reflection of the strength of the candidates in a specific round.

https://theberkeleymba.blogspot.com/

EDIT: 30% quoted here as well: https://mba.haas.berkeley.edu/admissions/podcasts/interview-tips.html
Intern
Intern
 Q51  V46
Send PM
thanks for digging this up!

In general how is everyone preparing for the interview (if and when one gets the invite). What are some good resources (apart from getting your own story right, and being convincing about your career goals)?

shels wrote:
rg205 wrote:
What is Berkeley's interview invitation percentage? For instance Kellogg's is around 98%, and Harvard's is around 23%. What is Haas' (for full-time and part-time)? Are these stats available?

I think this is for the FT program, and a couple years old, but I'd assume the numbers are still similar:

Contrary to popular belief, there is no fixed percentage of applicants who are interviewed, and chances of admission for those who do interview are based on the strength of the entire application package and the interview. In the past few years, between 25% and 30% of all applicants have been selected to interview--but keep in mind that this percentage has varied each year. It's simply a reflection of the strength of the candidates in a specific round.

https://theberkeleymba.blogspot.com/

EDIT: 30% quoted here as well: https://mba.haas.berkeley.edu/admissions/podcasts/interview-tips.html
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: HBS '13 (A)
Send PM
shels wrote:

I interviewed with an alum, and he mentioned that he hadn't seen any of my application aside from my resume. AdCom sent him my resume which he brought to the interview, but I had updated mine a bit in the two months between the R1 deadline and the interview so I gave him an updated copy.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
rg205 wrote:

In general how is everyone preparing for the interview (if and when one gets the invite). What are some good resources (apart from getting your own story right, and being convincing about your career goals)?

Make sure you're familiar with Haas' four guiding principles (question the status quo, beyond yourself, etc.) because you'll probably be asked for examples of how you exemplify one or more of them. Rich Lyons (the Dean) posts a lot of good stuff on Twitter--you can get a pretty good feel for the school's culture and focus by reading his tweets and the stories he links to.

I was also asked about an entrepreneur I respected, which I wasn't really prepared for since I don't have any interest in entrepreneurship, so I had to try to fake that one. Other "standard" MBA interview questions dealt with tough decisions I had made, specific times I'd shown leadership, how I built loyalty and teamwork within a group, how I influence people aside from using rank/title, etc.

Other than that you can expect a pretty straightforward interview. Be able to explain everything you've done, what you want to do, why you need an MBA, and why you think Haas is a good fit for you--small and close-knit class, collaborative culture, Haas@Work, SSS, IBD, proximity to Valley tech companies, or whatever applies to your interests and goals.

Would you be looking at on-campus or off-campus? I don't think it makes much of a difference really, just curious.

Originally posted by EBM on 01 Feb 2011, 09:23.
Last edited by EBM on 01 Feb 2011, 12:33, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Schools:Anderson (In-Declined), GSB (Ding), Haas (In!- matriculating), Marshall (In w/ $$$ - Declined)
GPA: 3.6 Chem Eng
WE 1: 2 yr Management consulting
WE 2: 2 yr Product Management - tech
Send PM
emont wrote:
rg205 wrote:

Make sure you're familiar with Haas' four guiding principles (question the status quo, beyond yourself, etc.) because you'll probably be asked for examples of how you exemplify one or more of them. Rich Lyons (the Dean) posts a lot of good stuff on Twitter--you can get a pretty good feel for the school's culture and focus by reading his tweets and the stories he links to.

I was also asked about an entrepreneur I respected, which I wasn't really prepared for since I don't have any interest in entrepreneurship, so I had to try to fake that one. Other "standard" MBA interview questions dealt with tough decisions I had made, specific times I'd shown leadership, how I built loyalty and teamwork within a group, how I influence people aside from using rank/title, etc.

Other than that you can expect a pretty straightforward interview. Be able to explain everything you've done, what you want to do, why you need an MBA, and why you think Haas is a good fit for you--small and close-knit class, collaborative culture, Haas@Work, SSS, IBD, proximity to Valley tech companies, or whatever applies to your interests and tech goals.

Would you be looking at on-campus or off-campus? I don't think it makes much of a difference really, just curious.

emont, you are truly one of the most valuable members of this forum. I think it is safe to say we are all lucky to have you to help us with this process. Definitely taking these notes for my interview. Just scheduled it - off campus in NYC next week
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
kelea wrote:
emont, you are truly one of the most valuable members of this forum. I think it is safe to say we are all lucky to have you to help us with this process. Definitely taking these notes for my interview. Just scheduled it - off campus in NYC next week

Glad I can be of assistance--I didn't discover GMATClub til after I'd submitted my R1 apps but I got a lot of good information from students at GSB and Haas and plenty of help from GMATClubbers on my R2 apps, so I'm happy to return the favor.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Management Consulting
Schools:Kenan Flagler (R2-Interviewed - Ding), Tuck (R3 - Ding), UCLA (R2 - Ding), Haas (R3), Tepper (R2-Ding), McCombs (R2 - Ding w/o Interview), Simon (R2-Admit)
 Q48  V27 GMAT 2: 700  Q50  V35
GPA: 3.86
WE 1: 6
Send PM
My application went under review yesterday. I have submitted the application on 20th Jan and received a mail from AdCom yesterday.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Consulting, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
So Haas asks for Attested copies of transcripts and degree certificates. While I have the original from my undergrad (international), I do not have attested copies. I am sure some of you might be in the same boat. What did you do? Did you visit Haas and gave them the original degree certificate and the original transcripts and they made copies? Or did you mail them?

I can't get them attested because it will take forever for my undergrad to send me attested copies here in the US

Thoughts and advise would be greatly appreciated
Intern
Intern
 Q51  V46
Send PM
thanks emont for the great advice. i am located in the bay area, so i am assuming it would be on-campus, no reason for off-campus interview.

kelea wrote:
emont wrote:
rg205 wrote:

Other than that you can expect a pretty straightforward interview. Be able to explain everything you've done, what you want to do, why you need an MBA, and why you think Haas is a good fit for you--small and close-knit class, collaborative culture, Haas@Work, SSS, IBD, proximity to Valley tech companies, or whatever applies to your interests and tech goals.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools:Haas (WL), Kellogg (matricultating), Stanford (R2, ding), Columbia (ding)
 Q36  V31 GMAT 2: 730  Q48  V42
WE 1: 3 years hotel industry sales and marketing France
WE 2: 3 years financial industry marketing UK
Send PM
goldgoldandgold wrote:
So Haas asks for Attested copies of transcripts and degree certificates. While I have the original from my undergrad (international), I do not have attested copies. I am sure some of you might be in the same boat. What did you do? Did you visit Haas and gave them the original degree certificate and the original transcripts and they made copies? Or did you mail them?

I can't get them attested because it will take forever for my undergrad to send me attested copies here in the US

Thoughts and advise would be greatly appreciated

Hey goldgoldandgold

Not sure what you current situation is (got interview invite or waiting for it), but I may be able to shed some light here...

I met an admission's officer last November during an admissions event and asked her the same question as I am the same situation as you are. She told me that they understand that each school is different and are therefore flexible on this requirement. She said that I can bring official copies at the interview and the interviewer would check docs and make copies to send back to the school. So I guess that as long as you inform them about your situation as soon as you get the interview invite, it should be fine.

I'm now waiting for the interview invite.... time does not fly when waiting for that!

Finger crossed for all of us!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE:Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
rg205 wrote:

It's pretty common for schools to interview twice as many applicants as they accept. This isn't true for all schools, but I believe it's true for Haas.

GMAT Club R1 stats
64 applicants
Interviewed: 28 (44%)
Admitted: 14 (22%)

Current R2 stats
49 applicants
Interviewed: 14 (29%)

If you believe that R1 is indicative of R2 success rates, we should expect to see 6 or 7 more interview invites. We have technically already hit Haas' published interview rate of 25-30%, but our data tends to skew high for a variety of reasons.
Intern
Intern
 Q51  V46
Send PM
Great ino Av!! thanks! Hopefully a few more invites will come along.

Av wrote:
rg205 wrote:

It's pretty common for schools to interview twice as many applicants as they accept. This isn't true for all schools, but I believe it's true for Haas.

GMAT Club R1 stats
64 applicants
Interviewed: 28 (44%)
Admitted: 14 (22%)

Current R2 stats
49 applicants
Interviewed: 14 (29%)

If you believe that R1 is indicative of R2 success rates, we should expect to see 6 or 7 more interview invites. We have technically already hit Haas' published interview rate of 25-30%, but our data tends to skew high for a variety of reasons.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Anyone know if Haas offers no co-signer loans to international students?
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  47   48   49   50   51   52   53  ...  92   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts