Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 19:23 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [15]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [2]
Given Kudos: 115
 Q39  V20
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1833 [4]
Given Kudos: 370
WE:Business Development (Health Care)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
WE:Brand Management (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: High national inflation rates do not result in stagnation in [#permalink]
Can somebody explain,why C is correct?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 103 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
Vimeo videos
<- These videos need password? :shock:
<-
<-
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 103 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
skspark wrote:
I - inflation, G - growth
High national inflation rates do not result in stagnation in the rate of economic growth. high I do not stagnate G
If they did, those nations that have the highest inflation rates should also demonstrate the lowest economic growth rates. if did, then high I should show low G
In fact, if countries are ranked in order of inflation rates, with rate statistics adjusted so that nations are relatively comparable, no such correlation exists. if ranked according to I, with some adjustments, no correlation

If the statements to the left are all true, which of the following must also be true?
Must be True - so answer should not bring new ideas and must be within the bounds defined by above statements.

A] Nations with high inflation rates tend to erect trade barriers. Trade? OUT
B] It is impossible to compare economic growth rates meaningfully and reliably among countries.The closest thing was last statement, which DID NOT say this - OUT
C] Reducing national inflation rates through stricter government spending will not necessarily cause a lowering of that country’s individual rate of economic growth.In other words - Reducing I, might not lower G ---> so stating there is no correlation BINGO
D] If the nations were ranked in order of their population, the largest nations usually display the highest figures in terms of both inflation and economic growth.population? OUT
E] Nations with the highest inflation rates never have comparably high economic growth rates.
never is too extreme;anything can happen by coincidence ex. I can get 800 @GMAT - OUT
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 239 [0]
Given Kudos: 872
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 3
Send PM
skspark wrote:
High national inflation rates do not result in stagnation in the rate of economic growth. If they did, those nations that have the highest inflation rates should also demonstrate the lowest economic growth rates. In fact, if countries are ranked in order of inflation rates, with rate statistics adjusted so that nations are relatively comparable, no such correlation exists.

If the statements to the left are all true, which of the following must also be true?

A] Nations with high inflation rates tend to erect trade barriers.
B] It is impossible to compare economic growth rates meaningfully and reliably among countries.
C] Reducing national inflation rates through stricter government spending will not necessarily cause a lowering of that country’s individual rate of economic growth.
D] If the nations were ranked in order of their population, the largest nations usually display the highest figures in terms of both inflation and economic growth.
E] Nations with the highest inflation rates never have comparably high economic growth rates.

What's the source of this question?

I had to choose C because no other answer really made any sense or had new information. But even C does not look like an answer.

Experts, please comment.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5428 [1]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ShashankDave wrote:

I had to choose C because no other answer really made any sense or had new information. But even C does not look like an answer.

Experts, please comment.

Hi ShashankDave ,

I think C very well tells what we want.

The whole argument is saying high inflation rates do not have impact on economic growth.

This is what statement C is also saying. We can say that if I lower one, the other will not necessarily be impacted.

Hence, we are getting the crux of the argument out of C.
Own Kudos [?]: 1970 [1]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM