Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 23:08 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 23:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Marketing
Schools:Duke (EA), Kellogg (R1), Ross (R2), McComb (R2)
 Q49  V40
GPA: 3.72
WE 1: ~4 Yrs Marketing (Product Magt)
WE 2: 1 Yr Product Dev
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Concentration: Marketing
Schools:Kelley School of Business - Class of 2013
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Product management/entrepreneurship
Schools:UCLA (R1 interview-WL), UNC(R2--interview-ding) Oxford(R2-Admit), Kelley (R2- Admit $$), McCombs(R2)
GMAT 2: 700  Q48  V38
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: SE - 1
WE 2: Engineer - 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Calling all 2011 Kelley Applicants! [#permalink]
I have also declined my Kelley offer. I hope that frees up a spot and fellowship money for one of you! Cheers.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
a10nisdude wrote:
I have also declined my Kelley offer. I hope that frees up a spot and fellowship money for one of you! Cheers.

Where are you heading?
Any reason why have you declined the offer??
Manager
Manager
Send PM
So, who all are really really going for Kelley?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Marketing and Finance (Business Marketing Academy)
Schools:Kelley Class of 2013
 Q49  V38
Send PM
iamwhoiam123 wrote:

I believe the gmatclub confirmed members who will be joining Kelley in the fall looks something like:

thmgoodw
giese
secondtime
Iamnotaprimenumber
indiana2577
samguerreiro
brown2404
ArlingtonWahoo
Justindelaney
indianatown

I'm sure there are more, but those were the ones where I saw a post confirming it (or they told me in person at KEW).

There is a pretty active official Facebook page going at the moment with pretty much constant chatter from folks going to Bloomington.

Tom

[updated]

Originally posted by thmgoodw on 03 May 2011, 13:26.
Last edited by thmgoodw on 04 May 2011, 11:26, edited 4 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I will be attending as well.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
I'll be attending as well :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I hope every one has seen the mail from Tim..
So no more financial aid available..
I dont know what happens to those aid where the students have declined the offer??
I know atleast 7-8 people who have declined just before the may 1st deadline.
Would the adcom wait for some more time before they start again to send the aid??
Manager
Manager
Send PM
thmgoodw wrote:
iamwhoiam123 wrote:

There is a pretty active official Facebook page going at the moment with pretty much constant chatter from folks going to Bloomington.

Tom

[updated]

I joined the FB page. But some things you cant discuss there... :-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Marketing and Finance (Business Marketing Academy)
Schools:Kelley Class of 2013
 Q49  V38
Send PM
Kudos
iamwhoiam123 wrote:
I hope every one has seen the mail from Tim..
So no more financial aid available..
I dont know what happens to those aid where the students have declined the offer??
I know atleast 7-8 people who have declined just before the may 1st deadline.
Would the adcom wait for some more time before they start again to send the aid??

As far as aid for those that declined, I would assume that it often just evaporates. Every school knows that only a certain yield % will end up matriculating, so they give out many more offers than they have spots. I would assume the same goes for scholarship packages.

Perhaps they give themselves a bit of a cushion there, and if the yield percentage on scholarship offers is significantly less than they had anticipated they send out a few "late" scholarship offers? I do know of one R2 admit who got some $$ just after KEW.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [2]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Kudos
Guys I am withdrawing from Kelley, I love the school but another school has come through late in the game with a big offer.

Today I also received a letter from Tim giving me more Fellowship money so that should be released shortly.

I would like to point out a couple of timelines here which have me questioning the merit based aid process:

Applied R2, Interviewed, Admitted with GA ($37.500, over 2 years, 12 hours of work per week)

I decided I was going to ask for some merit based aid.

A buddy who had a scholarship @ Kelley informed me that the notification date for scholarship recipients was April 15th, I timed my request for more aid around this deadline with the hope that some would become available.

I emailed Tim on Apr 12th

Tim never got back to me. After 10 days I left him a voicemail, still no response.

The following week I get a generic email from my interviewer asking if I had any questions etc. To which I replied with the timeline above regarding reaching out to Tim.

My interviewer gets back to me two days later with a "unfortunately all money is tied up."

Still no word from Tim

By now its Apr 25th a few days before the deadline. I wait a couple days then ask for an extension, which is granted.

Shortly after I leave the Facebook group for admits which is run by a current Kelley student.
(I dont really think this makes any difference, but now it does look like I will be withdrawing)

Two days later (today) I get letter from Tim that says I have been awarded 30K over 2 years.

Here is the other schools story which I will shorten:
Admitted w no money ---> ask for extension, 2 days later BIG money offer.

Thoughts:

I think schools at and around Kelley level are scrambling to fill their class. Apps are down and they are throwing money at people, if played the right way. To me that revolves around asking for an extension and notifying them of the other offers.

I have never been one to game schools and am fortunate to get any aid anywhere, this last couple of weeks has me questioning the process though. If I had not asked for the extension and paid the admissions deposit would they give me the money after the fact? Same with the other school.

To sum it up:
I asked for more money, they said no
I asked for an extension and played like I was going to leave
Here comes 30k out of thin air.

Aren't they supposed to be teaching us about business?

I'm a skeptic at heart, If you follow my posts I'm always questioning what is said in passing around here.

When you get a letter from Kelley telling you money is gone that is flat out Bull.

If there is anyone who has an extension have you gotten a similar letter?

I wonder if you hold out and I withdraw today will you get my money tomorrow?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
jordanhendrix wrote:
Guys I am withdrawing from Kelley, I love the school but another school has come through late in the game with a big offer.

Thoughts:

To sum it up:

I'm a skeptic at heart, If you follow my posts I'm always questioning what is said in passing around here.

When you get a letter from Kelley telling you money is gone that is flat out Bull.

I guess you have good profile. And the school really wants you..
So, when you say you are withdrawing, they tried to stop you by giving more money.
I think this is a game where they are masters and we are freshers... :(
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Send PM
iamwhoiam123 wrote:
jordanhendrix wrote:

Thoughts:

To sum it up:

I guess you have good profile. And the school really wants you..
So, when you say you are withdrawing, they tried to stop you by giving more money.
I think this is a game where they are masters and we are freshers... :(

Trust me I am no master! I only have one thing going for me the 720 Gmat, my GPA is well below the Kelley's average. I went to a no name school (hint: it has recently become famous for basketball)
Never ever gotten a scholarship before. This game wont fly in a heavy app season. Its just timing. I got dinged at my top 4 schools this year.

Nothing in profile screams "give this kid money or else" I am honored and humbled by it. At the same time, I wanted to shed light on the situation.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools:UCLA (R1 interview-WL), UNC(R2--interview-ding) Oxford(R2-Admit), Kelley (R2- Admit $$), McCombs(R2)
Send PM
jordanhendrix wrote:

Today I also received a letter from Tim giving me more Fellowship money so that should be released shortly.

I would like to point out a couple of timelines here which have me questioning the merit based aid process:

Applied R2, Interviewed, Admitted with GA ($37.500, over 2 years, 12 hours of work per week)

I decided I was going to ask for some merit based aid.

A buddy who had a scholarship @ Kelley informed me that the notification date for scholarship recipients was April 15th, I timed my request for more aid around this deadline with the hope that some would become available.

I emailed Tim on Apr 12th

Tim never got back to me. After 10 days I left him a voicemail, still no response.

The following week I get a generic email from my interviewer asking if I had any questions etc. To which I replied with the timeline above regarding reaching out to Tim.

My interviewer gets back to me two days later with a "unfortunately all money is tied up."

Still no word from Tim

By now its Apr 25th a few days before the deadline. I wait a couple days then ask for an extension, which is granted.

Shortly after I leave the Facebook group for admits which is run by a current Kelley student.
(I dont really think this makes any difference, but now it does look like I will be withdrawing)

Two days later (today) I get letter from Tim that says I have been awarded 30K over 2 years.

Here is the other schools story which I will shorten:
Admitted w no money ---> ask for extension, 2 days later BIG money offer.

Thoughts:

I think schools at and around Kelley level are scrambling to fill their class. Apps are down and they are throwing money at people, if played the right way. To me that revolves around asking for an extension and notifying them of the other offers.

I have never been one to game schools and am fortunate to get any aid anywhere, this last couple of weeks has me questioning the process though. If I had not asked for the extension and paid the admissions deposit would they give me the money after the fact? Same with the other school.

To sum it up:

Great. Which school are you finally going to? I tried somewhat of a similar approach to bump up my schol + GA money and Tim responded to my request a week later saying sorry we cannot offer you any more funds. As of 1st May I have declined my offer based on financial needs.
Current Student
Send PM
^^^ You first!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
jordanhendrix wrote:
^^^ You first!

Oxford :)
Current Student
Send PM
^^^ WashU Olin School Of Business

Congrats on Oxford, wonderful program.
Best of luck!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
jordanhendrix wrote:
iamwhoiam123 wrote:
jordanhendrix wrote:

Trust me I am no master! I only have one thing going for me the 720 Gmat, my GPA is well below the Kelley's average. I went to a no name school (hint: it has recently become famous for basketball)
Never ever gotten a scholarship before. This game wont fly in a heavy app season. Its just timing. I got dinged at my top 4 schools this year.

Nothing in profile screams "give this kid money or else" I am honored and humbled by it. At the same time, I wanted to shed light on the situation.

I am just trying to make some sense here.. And one more guess.. You might come from a small group of applicant and the adcom feels that by having you they would be adding to the diversity of the class. I am just trying to give a benefit of doubt to the adcom.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts